forum

Post the Linux distro that you use

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BluePyTheWDeer_
I know I have done many Linux related things, but I want more.

Distros I use
Arch Linux (Main)
Fedora Rawhide (I wanna test)
Kubuntu (left)
Kali Linux (left due to installing Arch because my partitions were a mess)
Zorin (left)
Avian dinosaur
Only mint
MistressRemilia
Slackware Linux on everything
Neigdoig
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon (which had been removed), with i3wm.
great_elmo
I've never used Linux (unless Android counts), is Mint a good start as someone who has a 13 year old shittop? Currently running Windows 11 (thank you Rufus).
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

I've never used Linux (unless Android counts), is Mint a good start as someone who has a 13 year old shittop? Currently running Windows 11 (thank you Rufus).
Yes, Mint is a very good start. Pick the XFCE ISO, though, not the Cinnamon one.

Although, if you have a 13 year old laptop, I wonder how you run Windows 11 without wishing to die.

To answer OP now
Jangsoodlor
Neigdoig

great_elmo wrote:

It's fantastic for beginners, but yes, since your laptop is old, XFCE would be the way to go (as stated by Winny). That is unless you want to grab LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition), and install XFCE or something of that sort on the system.
Winnyace

Jangsoodlor wrote:

I mean... sure, I guess
great_elmo
Tried installing Ubuntu 24.04 but everything went wrong.

Had to use an SD card as I don't have a USB. This shitty Gateway doesn't recognize it, my only DVD is too small to fit it and is completely unwritable despite being an RW, this is with a seperate partition for Linux.
aplastic anemia

great_elmo wrote:

Tried installing Ubuntu 24.04 but everything went wrong.

Had to use an SD card as I don't have a USB. This shitty Gateway doesn't recognize it, my only DVD is too small to fit it and is completely unwritable despite being an RW, this is with a seperate partition for Linux.
I mean you could make a boot drive with a $5 thumb drive.
great_elmo
For context, this is my laptop.

My CPU is constantly being pegged by the resource intensive Windows 11 and browsing is slow as hell. And no, it was like this on older versions of Windows (7, 8 🤮🤮🤮, 8.1 and 10). I feel that Ubuntu or Mint would make it a lot less shitty.
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

My CPU is constantly being pegged by the resource intensive Windows 11 and browsing is slow as hell. And no, it was like this on older versions of Windows (7, 8 🤮🤮🤮, 8.1 and 10). I feel that Ubuntu or Mint would make it a lot less shitty.
Ubuntu won't make it faster, due to Canonical's wish to push for Snaps. Linux Mint should be faster. Get the XFCE ISO and stick it on an USB flash drive. Any computer from the last ~15 years supports booting from USB.
ClevelandsMyBro

arch btw
z0z
pop
Winnyace

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

arch btw
Lmfao
Jangsoodlor

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

arch btw
BG sauce pls I need it for research
Leviathan
✨ ubuntu wsl ✨ (on windows 11 ._.)

used to use kubuntu but lazer didnt have score submission yet and you could only play stable on wine which had its issues of course. i also switched for performance but i didnt see much improvements and just switched back to windows cuz it was just easier to use
i only use wsl for like docker and running vms and thats it lol
Neigdoig

great_elmo wrote:

Nothing that Mint XFCE and installing a lightweight window manager (like i3 or Awesome) can't do. I use i3 on Mint (as stated) myself, so I could teach you the ropes if you'd like.
Winnyace

Neigdoig wrote:

great_elmo wrote:

Nothing that Mint XFCE and installing a lightweight window manager (like i3 or Awesome) can't do. I use i3 on Mint (as stated) myself, so I could teach you the ropes if you'd like.
Suggesting a tilling window manager to what seems to be a completely newbie is a recipe for disaster.
Neigdoig
I had the assumption that the individual may eventually want to learn once they get enough experience.
Polyspora
widow 11

yes yes, you're allowed to surge now
Nanofranne

would be outdated as soon as I mess around with it
Winnyace

Nanofranne wrote:

would be outdated as soon as I mess around with it
Hopefully it will be outdated this month by the release of Linux Mint 22 :D
user3412
fedora linux
Jangsoodlor
I spent 2 hours configuring USB Wi-Fi adapter only to realise I installed the wrong model lol

Anyways, can anyone recommends me a ShareX alternative for linux?
Winnyace

Jangsoodlor wrote:

I spent 2 hours configuring USB Wi-Fi adapter only to realise I installed the wrong model lol

Anyways, can anyone recommends me a ShareX alternative for linux?
Spectacle is pretty good IMO.
Topic Starter
BluePyTheWDeer_

great_elmo wrote:

If you switch to Linux, you will sacrifice Roblox, if you EVEN use it.
rpst39
I use Arch Linux as my main and triple boot with macOS and Windows 11.

Jangsoodlor
Messing around with i3wm

Last time I saw resource usage in Megabytes on any PC was AGES ago.
Topic Starter
BluePyTheWDeer_

Winnyace wrote:

Neigdoig wrote:

great_elmo wrote:

Suggesting a tilling window manager to what seems to be a completely newbie is a recipe for disaster.
True, look at me, tried to use Hyprland and completely messed up
MyAngelDocien1
fedora
great_elmo
Any upgrades I should do before I jump ship to XFCE Mint? Probably thinking about maxing out my ram to 8gb which is the most my laptop supports.

Was considering going back to 10 or even 8.1 but it looks like Mint it is.
PickSquid
I've been running Pop!_OS as my daily driver for a hot minute for its effortless hardware support and TWM-esque auto-tiling feature they added to GNOME without sacrificing too much in muscle memory.
I also run a server off of an old Dell box I've had since 2014-2015-ish that I installed Ubuntu on a few years ago.
I'm also working on building a NixOS config that I could eventually deploy across all of my systems without breaking things.
I'm currently building my config around KDE Plasma for my desktop, though I just might switch it over to GNOME with the COSMIC shell extensions, because the features they offer are just that good.
LipeWoW
=)
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

Any upgrades I should do before I jump ship to XFCE Mint? Probably thinking about maxing out my ram to 8gb which is the most my laptop supports.
Getting it to 8GBs will be a decent upgrade overall and will benefit you a lot.
Neigdoig

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Messing around with i3wm
I'm not alone in using a WM for Mint. Toots sweet!
great_elmo
Now I'm unironically looking for a distro for this thing. 32 bit Celeron M, not even a full gig of RAM (currently at 512MB and maxes out at 2GB), non functional wifi AND a broken screen.

Currently on XP home SP3 and DOES NOT support booting from USB. Of course even XFCE which I have decided on for my main laptop that still sucks would be even heavier than XP and there's likely no 32 bit version.
Jangsoodlor

great_elmo wrote:

Now I'm unironically looking for a distro for this thing. 32 bit Celeron M, not even a full gig of RAM (currently at 512MB and maxes out at 2GB), non functional wifi AND a broken screen.

Currently on XP home SP3 and DOES NOT support booting from USB. Of course even XFCE which I have decided on for my main laptop that still sucks would be even heavier than XP and there's likely no 32 bit version.

Debian may be the only distro left at this point that still supports 32-bit processors. But I think you'd be stuck using windows manager tho because of ram limitations.

edit: Alpine Linux, Gentoo and Void also supports 32-bit
great_elmo
I need help ASAP. After Mint's installation was looping on "detecting file systems" Windows BRICKED ITSELT and that was the only os I had on there! My data isn't lost (thankfully) but I can no longer boot without the USB nor can I make an emergency bootable USB so I can figure out what the FUCK went wrong.
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

I need help ASAP. After Mint's installation was looping on "detecting file systems" Windows BRICKED ITSELT and that was the only os I had on there! My data isn't lost (thankfully) but I can no longer boot without the USB nor can I make an emergency bootable USB so I can figure out what the FUCK went wrong.
So Mint's installer was trying to detect other file systems on your system and that made Windows brick itself? Is that what I'm getting?
Jangsoodlor

great_elmo wrote:

Go to your bios settings, and make sure that windows comes first.
great_elmo
The HDD is my 1st priority but I get "An operating system wasn't found" on boot. Which is odd because I had Windows installed but LM wasn't detecting it
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

The HDD is my 1st priority but I get "An operating system wasn't found" on boot. Which is odd because I had Windows installed but LM wasn't detecting it
In the boot menu, you would see a boot option named "Windows Boot Manager". Is it there or not?
great_elmo
Nope! It's labeled as my HDD's model (wdc wd7500bpvt-00a1). This time I've added a / partition, a /home partition and a swap partition but same thing. Is my legacy bios causing this? I used unetbootin btw. Formatting isn't an option because my mom has TONS of old photos of when me and my sister were kids and I wanna get them backed up to her iCloud (some of them are already backed up)

THIS is all the installer is doing but it does do something else eventually. The ISO is from the official website.

I'm definitely doing something wrong.
Jangsoodlor
did you somehow accidentally delete the "Microsoft" or "boot" folder in the efi partition?

edit: I just saw that you said you use legacy bios so this might not help sorry
Winnyace
I have a fear that sadly that he already changed his disk, so he has nothing on it at the moment. There's a program on Linux Mint called GParted. Please open it up from the Start menu and show us what it gives you. If it asks for a password, the password should be mint
great_elmo
Would 100% do again.

But even within the live environment I am MIND-BLOWN by how fast and light it is. Only 1GB ram usage on idle compared to Windows 11's 2-3GB. YouTube is watchable on my external monitor, but for some reason it only goes to 60hz despite the fact that I have a 75hz monitor.

Just need to get an SSD to fully install it.
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

YouTube is watchable on my external monitor, but for some reason it only goes to 60hz despite the fact that I have a 75hz monitor.
This is due, most likely, to the display server used by Cinnamon. Cinnamon, by default, uses an older display server (its name is X11) where variable refresh rate didn't really exist. There's an experimental session for Cinnamon that uses a newer display server (its name is Wayland). If you log out, you should see an icon somewhere around the username and password prompt. Check if that works for you.

You should also check if the monitor is at 75hz after you plugged it in.
great_elmo
I'm using XFCE.

75HZ was fine on Windows. Might have something to do with my laptop screen being 60hz and a 768p pile of shit (even when it's disabled with win+pp)

And after some tinkering in gparted I'm able to boot BACK into Windows. (Albietly with a start up error asking for an unreachable recovery device but I can just bypass that)
show more