forum

chano & 40mP - Natsukoi Hanabi

posted
Total Posts
show more
Monstrata

Lasse wrote:

Monstrata wrote:

Stuff like: 00:14:968 (8,1) - Is hard to predict due to the similarity in pattern. But the rhythm clearly shifts.the way it is set up makes it pretty simple to understand Again, not a concept thats appropriate on a Hard difficulty. Your argument makes sense for an Insane.
You can't expect Hard-level players to be able to follow this concept. Again, look at some of the replays, Many people who are getting B ranks mess up here and other parts I mention.

01:15:727 (4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1) - This is even worse, because it's basically [...] ??? it uses the same concept as all other intense parts, 1/1
are stacks and 1/2 are spaced or overlapped
Again, not a concept that's appropriate on a Hard. These ones are especially poor because of how close the different rhythms are to each other. You have 1/2 stacks and 1/1 stacks within one beat of each other which is what causes the confusion. You're associating two different rhythms with a very similar gameplay element.

Another thing that you wouldn't expect on Hard is anti-jumps like: 01:25:411 (1,2,1,2,3,1) - These force players to suddenly slow down their movement immensely what is the problem with that though. It's easier to play than using high spacing since at this point players will be really used to them and still makes the vocals there stand out due to the change in movement from before. 00:19:335 (1,2,3) - basically introduces the same thing early into the map , What is the problem with that? The fact that they are anti-jumps that go against the intended movement you've set up for players. It's very uncomfortable due to the sudden dip in movement. I didn't say you needed to use "high spacing" you can just use regular DS too... which really doesn't fit especially since you've set up these patterns to encourage players to take advantage of slider-head leniency. 01:28:829 (2,3,4) - Is what you should have expected on a Hard.

01:29:778 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5) - Variable spacing is also really confusing, especially since the movement is on red ticks how do ticks matter lol. the whole pattern starts on a red tick and follows the red tick vocals which makes it very easy to comprehend . The ticks matter because your pattern introduces a shift in polarity from white tick emphasis, which is what you would expect on a Hard, to red tick emphasis,
which is very unusual. However, that was just a small issue. The much bigger issues are the low, and variable spacing jumps, and the wide angles you've set up here. You are forcing Hard-level players to make very small movements and increase their movements on red ticks which is not a usual mode of emphasis. Additionally you're introducing wide angles, and wide angles + extremely small spacings is already too difficult imo. And even then you haven't addressed the note density issue of having a 6-circle clicking pattern into another 5-note stream. This is overkill.
Not to mention they cause players to have to make really small movements in between 2>3 and 4>5 which makes aiming even worse. You can't expect Hard players to aim in the middle of the pattern, They will try and click the middle of each circle. If you look at some replays you'll see this really slight movement.

Not to mention, 01:30:158 (2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5) - is really dense for a Hard too... I mean, 6 1/2 circles in a row followed by a 5-note stream. This is not something you'd expect on a Hard either... explained beforeYou didn't "explain before"... But just in case you did,
I clarified my view a bit better above ^.
But I wasn't talking about movements. I was talking about associating different rhythm choices with the same visual patterning.
The 1/2 and 1/1 use different patterning though, as mentioned above They may seem different if you are accustomed to patterns like these,
but they are sill very similar to Hard-level players.

The low spacing also isn't the issue, it's the fact that it creates varied small spacing that is difficult to track because players at this level are not accustomed to making very small stop/go type movements.
If they manage to fc this far into the map they should be accustomed enough to this type of movement tbh If they manage to fc this far into the map, their skill level is above a Hard. The entire argument here is that this difficulty is not appropriate to be called "Hard". In any case, explained why these patterns are not good in more detail since you don't seem to want to discuss the individual points I made...

@nino: you're way above the target audience of these difficulties and played them with hddt so lol
would be the same as me posting these (1, 2) to state the opposite, when it doesn't really have any relevance
naming has been explained in depth above
Topic Starter
Lasse
you're basically saying "these things are not appropriate for a hard diff" which I simply disagree with so I doubt this discussion is going anywhere :/
Monstrata
Yes. So let's see if other modders agree or disagree.
Ohwow
It's really a debate to decide whether which diff is harder. From the looks of it (both through the editor and through mod assist) Bonsai's Insane is harder because of bigger jumps, while Lasse's Hard is hard because of higher object intensity. Trying to decide which one is harder is a bad approach imo cause we're comparing apples to oranges.

Knowing that they both diff is hard in their own way, I feel like it's not good to say one diff is "Insane" while the other one is "Hard" because that implies that one difficulty is clearly harder than the other. Naming Bonsai a Hyper diff would be the best approach to reaching a compromise imo because it wouldn't clearly suggest that Bonsai's diff is harder than Lasse's hard.

TBH if you're bringing a GD to introduce new concepts/ideas, you shouldn't name it a traditional diff name. Instead use a different one instead.
With that said, I'd suggest to change VINXIS a Hyper too because of similar reasons.

Just my thoughts. :)
Topic Starter
Lasse
^no, both were designed as Insanes by their mappers so they are named like that

well I actually found a really cute bg while browsing pixiv and even if I don't agree with the points about it being not suitable as a hard diff I'm just going to ask for a dq and add a simple hard so people stop bothering me since it's barely any work anyways...
current Hard will be renamed to Harder cause that sounds cute and I already have my own Insane on the set and it's not mapped like a real Insane
pishifat
Very Hard
Topic Starter
Lasse
thanks, updated

changes:
new bg and combo colors for all diffs besides deetz' since he used a different one
hard renamed to harder, od6=>7, ar7=>7.2

added a simple hard

changed od on bonsai's diff from 8 to 7.5 on request

also messaged monstrata in discord, should be fine now I guess
Bonsai

Natsu wrote:

Bonsai's diff has little spacing
ex
cuse
me

while you're at it you can also change my diff's BG to something more appropriate
on a more serious note, I noticed that my OD might actually be a bit too much, can you change it to 7.5 or smth
Doormat
the new Hard diff looks fine, and the Harder diff name feels more appropriate now since it basically is just a harder version of the Hard.

other maps were unchanged, so rebubbling-
Xinnoh
vinxis' insane
01:21:044 (2) - this normal-hitnormal is still lol
Topic Starter
Lasse
talked to vinxis and it's indeed not intended, will fix before requalify
7ambda
tbf, you could've just renamed Harder to Light Insane

sounds kind of weird (name-wise) going from Bonsai's Insane -> Harder
sahuang
hard insane harder insane is so weird lol
i wonder why bonsai didnt wish to change his diffname to harder or light insane
7ambda

sahuang wrote:

hard insane harder insane is so weird lol
i wonder why bonsai didnt wish to change his diffname to harder or light insane
Hard -> Bonsai's Harder -> VINXIS' Insane

Yeah, makes the most sense.
Topic Starter
Lasse
naming makes more sense with the design of these difficulties and harder basically equals light insane but fits better in this context
just read the thread

fixed the hitsound thing for vinxis
sahuang
Its fine, but it feels bad for someone like me with OCD :<
_handholding
Bonsai's Very Hard
Karen
almost forgot this

old bg was better
Nikakis

Karen wrote:

old bg was better