forum

Toyama Nao - Ima Koko [OsuMania]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Litharrale

MrSergio wrote:

can you please get rid of those misleading hihat hitsounds (storyboarded ones) in the lower diffs (Hard, Normal Easy) ?

Idk how the general mania community sees this, but you guys seem the only ones to ignore what hitsounds are meant to be in this case: feedback of clickable objects.
As things stand right now, the lower diffs add misleading rhythms with those hitsounds since the difference from the song is noticeable (so you can't call it "they are the same as in the song" since they do alter the player's perception)

You just need to remove the additional storyboarded hitsounds and all's good otherwise. I would rather have a reply to this from you, since I got the opinion of a couple of mania people and they seem to dislike it too.
It's not a rule to hitsound like this, I know, but I do believe we could rely a bit more on common sense (even more when mania is the only subject to this matter right now).

What do you think?

The storyboarded hitsounds are a result of a bad hitsound copier. General consensus is that you should stay away from them, I've personally never seen a map that uses them well.
Topic Starter
Shima Rin

Litharrale wrote:

MrSergio wrote:

can you please get rid of those misleading hihat hitsounds (storyboarded ones) in the lower diffs (Hard, Normal Easy) ?

Idk how the general mania community sees this, but you guys seem the only ones to ignore what hitsounds are meant to be in this case: feedback of clickable objects.
As things stand right now, the lower diffs add misleading rhythms with those hitsounds since the difference from the song is noticeable (so you can't call it "they are the same as in the song" since they do alter the player's perception)

You just need to remove the additional storyboarded hitsounds and all's good otherwise. I would rather have a reply to this from you, since I got the opinion of a couple of mania people and they seem to dislike it too.
It's not a rule to hitsound like this, I know, but I do believe we could rely a bit more on common sense (even more when mania is the only subject to this matter right now).

What do you think?

The storyboarded hitsounds are a result of a bad hitsound copier. General consensus is that you should stay away from them, I've personally never seen a map that uses them well.
My 2nd ranked map used hitsound copier tbh. SB Hitsound used to be with no order, because hitsound copier would not differentiate them, but DH released an update on 8.26, so now basically you can choose which hitsound to go to SB and which not. Anyway, if things become so annoying then I would definitely do something when I check each diff. Just saying, I personally have not been anooyed by such hitsounds. If indeed people complained a lot about that, I would then think of makin some changes lol.
Seijiro
Well, the people who raised consensus with me were juan and Feerum, but I didn't bother to ask for more opinions.
Yes, I was referring to those hihats and it's not like only some are unfitting: all of the ones which we do not click are misleading.

I would be more than satisfied if you can give me a good reason to keep them, because logic tells me otherwise here. The only reason to have them is either because you didn't bother with them after copying or just the usual "it's my style" excuse lol.

Highlight a good aspect about them and I will back down from this :p

PS: other maps in general are not to.be taken as examples when explaining: things change overtime and what was good at some point in time might not be good anymore (even more when it's your own maps lol)
Topic Starter
Shima Rin

MrSergio wrote:

Well, the people who raised consensus with me were juan and Feerum, but I didn't bother to ask for more opinions.
Yes, I was referring to those hihats and it's not like only some are unfitting: all of the ones which we do not click are misleading.

I would be more than satisfied if you can give me a good reason to keep them, because logic tells me otherwise here. The only reason to have them is either because you didn't bother with them after copying or just the usual "it's my style" excuse lol.

Highlight a good aspect about them and I will back down from this :p

PS: other maps in general are not to.be taken as examples when explaining: things change overtime and what was good at some point in time might not be good anymore (even more when it's your own maps lol)
For the hihat hitsounds, I can be sure that all of them fit with the original song. Things that might confuse you are because there are two kinds of sounds in the original MP3 that I placed hihat hitsounds on:
1. 00:26:623 - 00:27:266 - for things here, their volumes are bigger and easy to notice, so that's why for all diffs there are notes. But this sound is composed by guitar string twang + hihat
2. 00:28:016 - 00:28:658 - 00:29:301 - for things here, their volumes are relatively weaker, but that does not mean no sounds there. Pay attention and you can still find there are hihat sounds, but they are only, simply hihat, without any other sounds

It follows logic for me to put hihat hitsounds on both kinds becuase they actually all have hihats. The only thing that matter is the difference between their volume, but considering the tone of the hihat hitsound and the original ones, they still closely fit with each other.

If you really think that affects gameplay, i guess you can interpret the diffs like this: the hitsounds not on the notes are simply increasing the volume of the hihat sounds in the original MP3, but don't add any new elements to the song. Basically they are still part of the sounds in the original song, and I dont place notes on them because the original ones have volume differences.

That's what I want to say about these hitsounds. I hope you can grasp my idea ;)
Drum-Hitnormal
I see SB sound as a double-edged sword.

Downside:
I agree with Sergio that hihat in SB might make it harder for people to play the lower difficulty, since it adds emphasis on a sound that they don't play, and might distract them from playing the kick and snare.

Upside:
Since it puts emphasis on a different sound, it helps new player recognize the structure of the song, and motivation to become good enough to play those sound on harder difficulty.

IMO, SB sound is fine as long it fits the song, even if they are not part of the song's original instruments.
The most important thing is that all difficulty sounds consistent.
Drum-Hitnormal

Litharrale wrote:

Here's an example of SB sound used well
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/457392
shionelove
i wonder why you don't put some hitsounds on notes,especially piano in hard diffs that follows those sounds.
Topic Starter
Shima Rin

shionelove wrote:

i wonder why you don't put some hitsounds on notes,especially piano in hard diffs that follows those sounds.
I put all piano keysound into SB because the piano keysound still could not be put on the notes for all of them with limited key amount even in top diff. If some piano keysounds are in SB and some are on the notes, feedbacks about that would be incomplete. Rather, it is more consistent to put all in SB, and use drum hitsound to give players feedback.

What's more, the piano keysounds still fit with the song well, so putting them in SB wont confuse players too.

I hope you can get my idea ;)
Seijiro
I'm a bit at a loss of words tbh...

Hitsounds, whether they fit the song or not, should represent what the map follows (that's why we need them in the first place. Go make new songs if you like adding sounds together to make them fit, LOL)

@dudehacker
Sorry to say this, but your upside aspects are literally the opposite: you're telling me that without fully hitsounding, as this map does, you, as a player, can't understand the song's structure ?.?
In this particular case the added hitsounds are already in the song, just not as prominent, so the song's structure shouldn't change that much. In general tho, this shouldn't even be the case since the song has its own rhythm, but the map uses only part of that so you shouldn't put SB hitsounds on the map to make it misleading as to what the map follows.

This sort of hitsounding is the same as telling someone ”to reach the station don't take the first road on the left, but the second on the right"
while you could just say "take the second on the right".

You're adding useless information which WILL confuse players, even more at lower levels where they can't distinguish sounds as well as more experienced players. This is not something you should throw away: identifying the mapped sounds in the song requires skill, skill that needs training, training that more inexperienced players won't have for a while.

Hitsound what the map plays, not what the song plays, otherwise you just double the audio track and what benefit is there to have a higher volume of all instruments? LOL
Topic Starter
Shima Rin

MrSergio wrote:

I'm a bit at a loss of words tbh...

Hitsounds, whether they fit the song or not, should represent what the map follows (that's why we need them in the first place. Go make new songs if you like adding sounds together to make them fit, LOL)

@dudehacker
Sorry to say this, but your upside aspects are literally the opposite: you're telling me that without fully hitsounding, as this map does, you, as a player, can't understand the song's structure ?.?
In this particular case the added hitsounds are already in the song, just not as prominent, so the song's structure shouldn't change that much. In general tho, this shouldn't even be the case since the song has its own rhythm, but the map uses only part of that so you shouldn't put SB hitsounds on the map to make it misleading as to what the map follows.

This sort of hitsounding is the same as telling someone ”to reach the station don't take the first road on the left, but the second on the right"
while you could just say "take the second on the right".

You're adding useless information which WILL confuse players, even more at lower levels where they can't distinguish sounds as well as more experienced players. This is not something you should throw away: identifying the mapped sounds in the song requires skill, skill that needs training, training that more inexperienced players won't have for a while.

Hitsound what the map plays, not what the song plays, otherwise you just double the audio track and what benefit is there to have a higher volume of all instruments? LOL
So I felt tired to explain more tbh.
I was talkin about whether those hitsounds are right or wrong, but not whether their existence benefits. I held the opinion that they are right, they don't harm the playing experience, so that's why i talk about higher volume, to make you understand my point easier.
Feerum has got something else to say about this. I will take your point into consideration and change about them in a way that we can both agree.
Feerum
Greetings!

I had today some time to look at this mapset and the storyboarded hitsounds are really really loud. Way to outstanding.
I did talked with Tofu and we came to the temporary agreement to lower the SB hitsound volume to 25-30%

This does not include the Piano samples. I think the Piano samples fit really great to the beatmap and support the song itself really good.

Alright, beside this i found something what needs to get fixed anyways. Silenced hitsounds
Several storyboarded samples have a volume of 0% what is a no-no. These can be found in the .osu of the difficulties. Here's an example:

The last number, the "0" is for the volume. Please check this in all difficulties and ensure that no more silenced hitsounds are used.
Feel free to continue the discussion and throw more ideas for an agreement for both sides.
Arzenvald
kinda agree with MrSergio this time, SB notes are fits for samples that doesn't gives a similar feedback like in the gameplay, not something like disappearing note that plays in background.

opinion aside, to hs just simply put clap each 1/1.. this is meme :^)

edit: SHOOT got ninja'd GG feerum
edit 2: staaar, gl for requalify :D
Topic Starter
Shima Rin

Arzenvald wrote:

kinda agree with MrSergio this time, SB notes are fits for samples that doesn't gives a similar feedback like in the gameplay, not something like disappearing note that plays in background.

opinion aside, to hs just simply put clap each 1/1.. this is meme :^)

edit: SHOOT got ninja'd GG feerum
edit 2: staaar, gl for requalify :D
Thanks for star. I will change about the hitsound dw =w=
Seijiro
definitely better =w=b

Some small inconsistencies I found while re-checking everything:
Easy:
00:23:516 - there is a misleading drum beat (SB again). You have a LN starting from 00:23:408 - so it's kinda ?.?
01:11:516 (71516|3) - missing a clap on it?

Rest looks cool
Topic Starter
Shima Rin

MrSergio wrote:

definitely better =w=b

Some small inconsistencies I found while re-checking everything:
Easy:
00:23:516 - there is a misleading drum beat (SB again). You have a LN starting from 00:23:408 - so it's kinda ?.? fixed
01:11:516 (71516|3) - missing a clap on it? basically playing it slower you can find that there isnt any kick on this line. It might seem a little bit weird, but that is simply what the music goes. I dont wanna revise the music tbh XD. I hope you can grasp it too owo

Rest looks cool
Thanks for recheck. ;)
Aoi-chii
I don't really know how I can help, but I just wanted to pop in and say I love the hit sound you added!(late I know but I didn't see the red text ^^;). Really looking forward to where this goes and hopefully this gets moved up asap!
Topic Starter
Shima Rin

Aoi-chii wrote:

I don't really know how I can help, but I just wanted to pop in and say I love the hit sound you added!(late I know but I didn't see the red text ^^;). Really looking forward to where this goes and hopefully this gets moved up asap!
Thanks o/ the hitsound is improved now and this mapset will be back soon ;)
Feerum
re-checked everything. After a little chat in discord the beatmap looks fine now.

So green light to move it again.
Topic Starter
Shima Rin

Feerum wrote:

re-checked everything. After a little chat in discord the beatmap looks fine now.

So green light to move it again.
thanks for re-check owo
Maxus
Basically have some minor fixes and buff easy a bit.
Good luck!
Kawawa
GO!!