Nounを食え
Caradine
weebs
Topic Starter
B1rd

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Are you gonna learn normal conjugation

Im here to stay

I dunno man, following the conjugation rule i used to right iku's past as iita.

Seems useful to know its irregular in that aspect
Last I heard it was my blog thread not yours. If you want one make your own. I'm OK if you want to teach me things like informal verb conjugation, but you''ll actually have to explain it so I can learn, rather than just stating some abstract sentences, or complain that I'm not learning the way you think I should.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Are you gonna learn normal conjugation

Im here to stay

I dunno man, following the conjugation rule i used to right iku's past as iita.

Seems useful to know its irregular in that aspect
Last I heard it was my blog thread not yours. If you want one make your own. I'm OK if you want to teach me things like informal verb conjugation, but you''ll actually have to explain it so I can learn, rather than just stating some abstract sentences, or complain that I'm not learning the way you think I should.

You should already know the present standard tense of every verb because you have to use that to convert it to polite
Here is some list I made of an example verb with every possible ending.

食べる (Ends in -ru but is ichidan or as they would call it -ru)

In order to make ichidan verbs past, change the last る to た. In order to make them negative, change it to ない. Since negative verbs are all adjectives, it can be further conjugated like an adjective at this point. Adjectives change い to かった for the past tense so therefore the negative past of an ichidan verb will end with なかった。食べる -> 食べなかった

In order to make BOTH potential and passive form for ichidan verbs, replace the る with られる。食べられる

In order to make it causative, replace it with させる。食べさせる

In order to make te form, replace it with て。食べて

In order to make -tara and -tari, go to past tense and just add in that sound. 食べたら、食べたり

In order to make imperative, replace る with ろ。食べろ

In order to make renyoukei form (or as they would call it masu stem [not like that's the only use of this stem but they call it that because that's all beginners use it for]) just remove the る. 食べ

At this point I would like to note that when you make verbs like 食べられる (Let's assume passive so "to be eaten") this verb is ANOTHER ichidan verb in its entirety. If you want to make it negative, replace る with ない just like you would any other ichidan verb.

帰る (Ends in -ru but is godan or as they would call it -u)
孕む
呼ぶ
泳ぐ
打つ
死ぬ
聞く
洗う
濡らす

If you look closely at the word godan, you'll realise the go stands for 5. This is because there are 5 groups of endings for them.

う、つ、る

ぬ、む、ぶ

Each one of these groups will have the same conjugation/sound change pattern.

For past tense the sound change goes like this:

く -> いた. 聞いた

ぐ -> いだ. 泳いだ

う、つ、る -> った. 洗った、打った、帰った

ぬ、む、ぶ -> んだ. 死んだ、孕んだ、呼んだ

す -> した. 濡らした

To get Te form for a godan verb, just use past tense and replace the -a sound with -e. So all the ta's will become te's. (Or you can learn te form and make past tense by converting all the -e's to -a's.)

In order to make negative godan verbs, change the last syllable to the -a sound equivalent and add nai.

聞かない

泳がない

洗わない、打たない 帰らない (NOTE HERE: For verbs that end in う you change the vowel toわ. For verbs that end in  つ you change it to た)

死なない、孕まない、呼ばない

濡らさない

Negative past tense is handled just like past tense adjectives. Isn't that handy?

In order to make potential form, change the -u sound to it's -e equivalent and add reru.

聞ける
泳げる
洗える、打てる、帰れる
死ねる、孕める、呼べる、
濡らせる

NOTE HERE: All these sounds end in the -eru sound that you learned ichidan verbs tend to end in! That means whenever you make a godan verb into potential form, this potential form is an ichidan verb when referring to later or additional conjugations.

In order to make passive form change the -u sound to -a and add reru.

聞かれる
泳がれる
洗われる、打たれる,帰られる
死なれる、孕まれる、呼ばれる
濡らされる

Tara and tari work the same as before where you go to past tense and add the sound.

Imperative form works by changing the final -u sound to -e

聞け
泳げ
洗え、打て、帰れ
死ね、孕め、呼べ
濡らせ

The renyoukei stem is formed by chaing the final -u sound to -i

聞き
泳ぎ
洗い、打ち、帰り
死に、孕み、呼び
濡らし

Sometimes this forms nouns from the verbs!

I'll finish this after my project is done. Posting not to lose it.
Foxtrot
I remember trying to learn conversions and that was a fucking hell
Yuudachi-kun

Foxtrot wrote:

Slur your words and drop particles
Topic Starter
B1rd

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

I'll finish this after my project is done. Posting not to lose it.
I'll review this when I have time.

Foxtrot wrote:

What did he mean by this.
Foxtrot

B1rd wrote:

Foxtrot wrote:

What did he mean by this.
I think the more accurate term I was looking for was conjugations. There are simple ones, like "-て" for U-verbs (which come in different groups since U-verbs can end in different -te forms). These conjugations are used when you want to describe an action, request an action, or forbid one. Now, the complicated thing that Khelly was talking about is the crazy amount of conjugations. I only learned present and past tense at school and I sure remember the struggle.
Yuudachi-kun
I prefer the term godan verb since it has 5 different groups of te endings; that's why its called go. Imo there aren't that many conjugations in the grand scheme of things; as long as you at least try to write then you'll "memorise" them all fairly quickly.
Topic Starter
B1rd
5/5 hours done.

I remember doing て forms and stuff, it's been a while so I'll need some material to concrete my memory.

I've been reading though, apparently you need to study a lot more than 5 hours a week to learn the thing in a timely manner. Wish I could just pull motivation out of my arse like some people can.
Yuudachi-kun
You can repeat the te form list i gave you as a mneumomic for godan verbs

It's fairly effective

くいて、ぐいで、うつるって、ぬむぶんで、すして
Topic Starter
B1rd
Lol, saying taberareru just seems silly.

It seems like good information, but I think it will take me some time and study to understand all of the complicated verb conjugations.
johnmedina999

B1rd wrote:

Wish I could just pull motivation out of my arse like some people can.
The motivation comes from the enthusiasm of being able to read raws before translations come out.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

Lol, saying taberareru just seems silly.

It seems like good information, but I think it will take me some time and study to understand all of the complicated verb conjugations.
Say the verb 現れる 5 times fast. (あらわれる)

My first tongue twister (But only if you pronounce the R's correctly with your tongue hitting the roof of your mouth)
Mahogany
Jesus christ b1rd just be happy that Khel is willing to give you good help on the subject
Topic Starter
B1rd
So it's Monday and once again I'm tired af, gonna skip it again.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

Rip you

It begins
Foxtrot
Do you have anybody to practice Japanese with? For me, the best way to learn it was to practice it with my classmates and reading (like Khelly suggested).
abraker
Anime is also a good way to learn the language
Topic Starter
B1rd
1/5 h

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Rip you

It begins
Well I allowed myself two days off a week so I may as well have them when I'm tired (as opposed to my other two states, lethargic and asleep).

Foxtrot wrote:

Do you have anybody to practice Japanese with? For me, the best way to learn it was to practice it with my classmates and reading (like Khelly suggested).
Well I'm not exactly at the stage where I can have in depths conversations, not sure how taking turns saying KORE WA SUMISU SAN NO PENSHIRU is gonna be that beneficial as opposed to just writing.
Foxtrot
Yeah, I forgot to mention that writing also helps but obviously that's a given.
Yuudachi-kun
If it were me, and was me, there wouldn't be any days off from jp a week. A "day off" is simply having pure fun with jp by writing random useless shit, browsing nico nico, and playing dumb sprite games in jp. No hardcore studying.
Topic Starter
B1rd
2/5
Topic Starter
B1rd
3/5
DJ Enetro
issei no sei
Na kumikono itori
bokurawa
If i posted the lyrics right :P
Yuudachi-kun
Actually outline more b1rd
Topic Starter
B1rd
What was that
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

What was that
:!:

Don't just say 3/5; say WHAT you did and WHAT you learned
Topic Starter
B1rd
Well, last lesson was about prepositions and the particle が and や, for example テーブル の うえ に しんぶん や はな が あります。

Soon I'll look at learning verb conjugations and getting a kanji textbook to study.
Yuudachi-kun
Imo at that point it's very useful to start using simple kanji like

上、新聞、花

In the sentences you see so you can start linking kanji to words

You don't need all the readings, just at least one to start

In this case its kun for he first and last and on for the middle two

If you need a kun for shinbun then two words to learn is

新しい あたらしい new

聞く きく hear/listen/ask

Kanji also makes it incredibly easy to find spaces between words. If it's 100% kana it gets a bit hard at times
Topic Starter
B1rd
I've previously learnt about 50 kanji, I know the ones for ue, shita, naka, the days of the week, kikimasu, kakimasu, tabemasu, etc. I guess I might try to implement kanji into my writing and look up the kanji for words I'm using, as well as get a textbook and do a more methodical study of them.
Yuudachi-kun
When you write kanji, stroke order is important! but it does not have to be memorised on some large scale basis. Once you know stroke order for a handful of kanji you'll automatically know the pattern for many many subsequent kanji and be able to break them down into their constituent parts.

For example:聞く is just writing 門 then 耳

Alternative example: 魔 looks pretty complicated right? Well I cant think of an example for the top outerpart right now but following that it's just 木 twice then 鬼. To break down oni, after the little tick at the top the big fat part is just written like 田 and the legs like in 見. Then the thing ontop of that right leg is ム which you'll notice is katakana for mu.
Topic Starter
B1rd
4/5; more of same + vocab; did an all nighter so missed an hour, finish on Sunday
Topic Starter
B1rd
5/5

So in my book I've done yuubinkyouku wa ano biru no naka desu, would something like sumisu-san wa niwa desu also be correct?
Comfy Slippers

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

If it were me, and was me, there wouldn't be any days off from jp a week. A "day off" is simply having pure fun with jp by writing random useless shit, browsing nico nico, and playing dumb sprite games in jp. No hardcore studying.
Ever had a convo with an actual japanese person or just someone who is fluent? I still feel like this is one of the best and "healthiest" methods of practice. Just wondering.
Yuudachi-kun

Comfy Slippers wrote:

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Ever had a convo with an actual japanese person or just someone who is fluent? I still feel like this is one of the best and "healthiest" methods of practice. Just wondering.
BGglass a lot. Cool fucking guy. He knew lots of English and was 40 years old too.

The old japanese lady whose last name was 小林

My mate who lived in Austrailia as a JP person who invited me to lots of weird fucking skype groups where I had to read H-doujin outloud.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

5/5

So in my book I've done yuubinkyouku wa ano biru no naka desu, would something like sumisu-san wa niwa desu also be correct?
Start typing like this!

郵便局はあのビルの中です。スミスさんは庭です。 Or did you want to write はにはです。in which case I'm gonna have to say no.

Yeah I think it's fine. Although I'd probably prefer to use にある and にいる instead of just です. /shrug
Topic Starter
B1rd
1/5
johnmedina999
What are you studying this week?
Yuudachi-kun

johnmedina999 wrote:

What are you studying this week?

Exactly
show more