What was that
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

What was that
:!:

Don't just say 3/5; say WHAT you did and WHAT you learned
Topic Starter
B1rd
Well, last lesson was about prepositions and the particle が and や, for example テーブル の うえ に しんぶん や はな が あります。

Soon I'll look at learning verb conjugations and getting a kanji textbook to study.
Yuudachi-kun
Imo at that point it's very useful to start using simple kanji like

上、新聞、花

In the sentences you see so you can start linking kanji to words

You don't need all the readings, just at least one to start

In this case its kun for he first and last and on for the middle two

If you need a kun for shinbun then two words to learn is

新しい あたらしい new

聞く きく hear/listen/ask

Kanji also makes it incredibly easy to find spaces between words. If it's 100% kana it gets a bit hard at times
Topic Starter
B1rd
I've previously learnt about 50 kanji, I know the ones for ue, shita, naka, the days of the week, kikimasu, kakimasu, tabemasu, etc. I guess I might try to implement kanji into my writing and look up the kanji for words I'm using, as well as get a textbook and do a more methodical study of them.
Yuudachi-kun
When you write kanji, stroke order is important! but it does not have to be memorised on some large scale basis. Once you know stroke order for a handful of kanji you'll automatically know the pattern for many many subsequent kanji and be able to break them down into their constituent parts.

For example:聞く is just writing 門 then 耳

Alternative example: 魔 looks pretty complicated right? Well I cant think of an example for the top outerpart right now but following that it's just 木 twice then 鬼. To break down oni, after the little tick at the top the big fat part is just written like 田 and the legs like in 見. Then the thing ontop of that right leg is ム which you'll notice is katakana for mu.
Topic Starter
B1rd
4/5; more of same + vocab; did an all nighter so missed an hour, finish on Sunday
Topic Starter
B1rd
5/5

So in my book I've done yuubinkyouku wa ano biru no naka desu, would something like sumisu-san wa niwa desu also be correct?
Comfy Slippers

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

If it were me, and was me, there wouldn't be any days off from jp a week. A "day off" is simply having pure fun with jp by writing random useless shit, browsing nico nico, and playing dumb sprite games in jp. No hardcore studying.
Ever had a convo with an actual japanese person or just someone who is fluent? I still feel like this is one of the best and "healthiest" methods of practice. Just wondering.
Yuudachi-kun

Comfy Slippers wrote:

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

If it were me, and was me, there wouldn't be any days off from jp a week. A "day off" is simply having pure fun with jp by writing random useless shit, browsing nico nico, and playing dumb sprite games in jp. No hardcore studying.
Ever had a convo with an actual japanese person or just someone who is fluent? I still feel like this is one of the best and "healthiest" methods of practice. Just wondering.
BGglass a lot. Cool fucking guy. He knew lots of English and was 40 years old too.

The old japanese lady whose last name was 小林

My mate who lived in Austrailia as a JP person who invited me to lots of weird fucking skype groups where I had to read H-doujin outloud.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

5/5

So in my book I've done yuubinkyouku wa ano biru no naka desu, would something like sumisu-san wa niwa desu also be correct?
Start typing like this!

郵便局はあのビルの中です。スミスさんは庭です。 Or did you want to write はにはです。in which case I'm gonna have to say no.

Yeah I think it's fine. Although I'd probably prefer to use にある and にいる instead of just です. /shrug
Topic Starter
B1rd
1/5
johnmedina999
What are you studying this week?
Yuudachi-kun

johnmedina999 wrote:

What are you studying this week?

Exactly
Topic Starter
B1rd
2/5

can't be bothered writing detailed reports at this current time.
Foxtrot
If you ever feel like practicing writing to someone in Japanese feel free to do so with me. I only know the basics, but it'd be a good practice. Or write to Khelly
Topic Starter
B1rd
3/5. Currently about 100 pages into my exercise book "Japanese for Busy People". I'll probably order volume two and a kanji book sometime soon.

Foxtrot wrote:

If you ever feel like practicing writing to someone in Japanese feel free to do so with me. I only know the basics, but it'd be a good practice. Or write to Khelly
Thanks. Once I gain some basic competency I'll look into writing/talking with people, as well as probably paying for an online tutor. Though I think I'm gonna focus on the written aspect.

I'll write some more tomorrow.
Luqanted
B1rd what does gago means
Topic Starter
B1rd
4/5. Spent the day revising kana stroke order, vocabulary, and numbers.

Just put myself in debt for the next two decades by buying some new textnooks: Genki 1 and 2 + workbooks, The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course: A Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering 2300 Characters, and A Guide to Japanese Grammar
Topic Starter
B1rd
5/5

about 100 pages in and one exercise book filled in.
Topic Starter
B1rd
1/5
kai99
dam, going strong!
Topic Starter
B1rd
sorta

2/5
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

sorta

2/5

BORING
Topic Starter
B1rd
My life is boring.

As it seems I've broken my record for sleeping, went to sleep as soon as I got home at about 5pm and woke at 1pm the next day, I missed studying yesterday, but I'll catch up today.
Topic Starter
B1rd
3/5
Yuudachi-kun
No. You MUST comment with more than just a number.
DJ Enetro
Posting what you learned will be a good idea, as it turns book knowledge into applied knowledge
Topic Starter
B1rd
5/5. Procrastinated a bit this week so I did 2 hours of study today. I feel more motivated to study when I'm away from home and all its distractions, so I've been going to a cafe.

Writing what I've learned is more boring than studying itself so I'm not gonna do that all the time. But today I did some stuff on いいand な adjectives, and also just general stuff like putting together sentences, for example えいが は ぜんぜん おもしろくなかった です。 (tell me if that's wrong)

And before you get on my case, yes I'll learn the kanji and verb conjugations soon enough. I didn't have the money to buy the textbooks I wanted this week but I'll get them soon.
Yuudachi-kun
な adjectives aren't actually adjectives. They're nouns. な is an old form called rentaikei that doesn't exist in jp anymore. In these cases, it stands for だ. That is why it is conjugation with things like だった etc. I guess you're still going to interpret them as adjectives from an English perspective, but they're really really not. "静かな人 Quiet is person. Person that is quiet. Quiet person." I'm assuming at this point you're not used to head nouns so it'll make less sense. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Your sentence is fine but you don't need the です. If you want to be polite, it's おもしろくありませんでした。Look closely at the negative state. " なかった" This is past tense for nai. What is polite for nai? It's arimasen. What's negative past for this? ありませんでした. Exactly.

Yes I am aware that not ending such a sentence with です technically means it's ending with an adjective and not any sort of verb or copula. But I see this happen ALL the time where people end in actual adjectives. If you were to end it with a noun-"adjective", you would definitely need a だ though.

Also it's cool to note that two of your main words are ones that're like 20/80 written with/without kanji. You can basically get away with only using kanji for eiga and no one would bat an eye. Although personally I would use kanji for eiga and zenzen because the less amount of hiragana in a row the easier it is to read.

映画は全然面白くなかった for full kanji.
Topic Starter
B1rd
2/5
Rwyta

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

johnmedina999

Allmynamestaken wrote:

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

He wrote two.
Yuudachi-kun

Allmynamestaken wrote:

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Topic Starter
B1rd
By the way, I might do 10 hours of study this week. I'll pay out $50 if I don't meet that goal.
DJ Enetro
K go, follow your dreams
show more