forum

osu! World Cup 2016 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
buny
Spain is pretty low rank without waaiiru who didn't sign up this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't qualify in the 32 spots.
moonrabbit2

Loctav wrote:

We don't need 500 people suggesting THE BIG BLACK (again)

lmao xd
Frc

a loli wrote:

Spain is pretty low rank without waaiiru who didn't sign up this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't qualify in the 32 spots.

Well they classified too bad for you 2015
buny
Didn't actually see the updated roster, just assumed they weren't on there since there was a post from a top rank Spain player that was asking why they weren't on the list.
Mashiro-
here's a comprehensive list I made, hopefully it helps
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... k/pubhtml#
Topic Starter
Loctav
massive roster update, just one team missing \:D/
nya10
Hello , might I ask about how seeding works this time?
Is it from the top 4 average pp or top 6/8 average pp?
Kert
To the tournament staff:
Please, keep in mind that some teams don't have a single timezone for all of its players. This is very important.

And one more thing:
> Rescheduling after the release of the Schedule on the wiki can not be done in any circumstance.
I would like to suggest one possible exception to this rule. All conditions should be met.
Allow the rescheduling to take place if captains of both teams agree and the new time for the match is still within the same weekend. In double elimination stages the new time must not overlap / influence the time of the possible further matches.

The team availability should have a higher priority than the availability of people who livestream the matches.
Thank you.
chainpullz

Kert wrote:

To the tournament staff:
Please, keep in mind that some teams don't have a single timezone for all of its players. This is very important.

And one more thing:
> Rescheduling after the release of the Schedule on the wiki can not be done in any circumstance.
I would like to suggest one possible exception to this rule. All conditions should be met.
Allow the rescheduling to take place if captains of both teams agree and the new time for the match is still within the same weekend. In double elimination stages the new time must not overlap / influence the time of the possible further matches.

The team availability should have a higher priority than the availability of people who livestream the matches.
Thank you.
The only issue I see with this is as soon as you introduce more wishy-washy rules like this you end up with situations where one side begrudgingly accepts a reschedule with uncertainty about whether everyone can make it (since it's at a time other than the scheduled one) but if they were to decline they would look like bad sports. Fast forward a few days, some people can't make it like they thought they could, there are arguments over who should get the free win, it all blows up because there are thousands of spectators and reddit is always hungry to turn anything into a major drama.

TL;DR: Sounds like a good idea but in practice there are a lot of ways it can blow up.
Topic Starter
Loctav
We are not altering the scheduling rules, especially not to what you proposed, because it backfired at minimum 6 times in the course of 2 years when we did exactly that.
Team availability or availability of people to stream the stuff has no input in scheduling. Scheduling happens solely around the intention to give everyone a suitable time to play. We are not allowing rescheduling, because if one team requests it, all teams request it and then we have OWC#2 all over again, where one team never makes it to the Grand Finals, because they constantly want to reschedule - or TWC#3 where one bunch of teams was kind enough to make arrangements to attend to the matches, whereas other people felt like they have to reschedule just because they can't get ther ass up out of bed before midday.
Topic Starter
Loctav
On other news, all rosters are now complete!

I am excited to see how these teams will play in this year's competition. Keep in mind that the drawings will take place on Friday, 4. November 2016 at 12:00 UTC+0 on the osulive twitch.tv channel. After the drawings, we will showcase the mappool for Group Stage. The schedules for Group Stage will be released on Sunday, as always.
Chikarou
Made a few tables to do with team pp averages and top 4 pp averages if anyone's interested. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8R1J30WdQJ1THFpQlJmRkR2b3M/view
nya10

Loctav wrote:

We are not altering the scheduling rules, especially not to what you proposed, because it backfired at minimum 6 times in the course of 2 years when we did exactly that.
Team availability or availability of people to stream the stuff has no input in scheduling. Scheduling happens solely around the intention to give everyone a suitable time to play. We are not allowing rescheduling, because if one team requests it, all teams request it and then we have OWC#2 all over again, where one team never makes it to the Grand Finals, because they constantly want to reschedule - or TWC#3 where one bunch of teams was kind enough to make arrangements to attend to the matches, whereas other people felt like they have to reschedule just because they can't get ther ass up out of bed before midday.
Regardless of the scheduling I think based on the previous world cup, the tournament manager has did well in scheduling the game, I rarely see (or never) the match outside their usual biological sleep and wake cycle. I hope this year scheduling will go well again
Ambrew
No xilver on team USA,, ? #saddayinosu :c
He Ang CTB
Wow :O This map pool has Nightcore maps and 07th Expansion maps! It also has a few CWC songs, I'm so HYPED \o/

Sadly I will only be able to play decent Osu!Standard in about 2030 :X
Kert
I love the Group Stage mappool.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Schedule is out. I will update the wiki with groups and stuff tomorrow, when I feel a tad better. Check the wiki for more details!
fabriciorby

Loctav wrote:

Schedule is out. I will update the wiki with groups and stuff tomorrow, when I feel a tad better. Check the wiki for more details!
Brazil is UTC-3 on Saturday and UTC-2 on Sunday, it confused me a bit.
FoxCat

This year OWC:

Hahah ^_^

Note: Nothing against lewa btw
Topic Starter
Loctav
fixed some oddities in the schedule regarding local times. the UTC times remained unchanged for all (so no actual schedule change)
fartownik
I think you forgot to add groups into Wiki
CXu
Do we get a stream schedule? To know which matches are being streamed.
nya10
I wonder where is the data spreadsheet.
archer-
Is there a challonge bracket or at least a list of the groups?
Nwolf
Railey2
can we not have proper sound quality for the commentators voices?? Buy some microphones, please. Some of them sound like they speak into a potato.
Minhtam
If you convince the staff to onboard me as a commentator, I will be ready with my Blue Yeti microphone.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Wiki updated with pmuch everything~ Now I can sleep happily
sify11
Where can i buy a support tag for my team like last year?
also polska 4:0 hype! :D
nya10
Just a suggestion for the statistician:

Would you mind to freeze 1 column from the match overview, so we can scroll it to the left and right while still being able to see the maps played?
deadbeat
I froze column 1 half way through group stage. I guess it doesn't work so well with the /pubhtml link
Not sure how to fix that sorry
fartownik
Is it possible to change the skin to a different one than the default? Sole fact of the screen being split in 8 parts makes following the games hard, adding the default skin with all the lights, 300s etc to that makes for even more confusion. Also you can't really notice *why* someone missed on a map with the current skin, you can only see briefly where, but not in what circumstances.
Minhtam

fartownik wrote:

Is it possible to change the skin to a different one than the default? Sole fact of the screen being split in 8 parts makes following the games hard, adding the default skin with all the lights, 300s etc to that makes for even more confusion. Also you can't really notice *why* someone missed on a map with the current skin, you can only see briefly where, but not in what circumstances.
I agree. At the MINIMUM, remove the 300's on the screen. it would make it obvious where the misses, 50s, and 100s are.
-ZackFair-
The mappool of the round of 16 makes me horny
Endaris

Minhtam wrote:

fartownik wrote:

I agree. At the MINIMUM, remove the 300's on the screen. it would make it obvious where the misses, 50s, and 100s are.
Alternatively just include an animated version of the regular 300s with a higher animation framerate so that they aren't all over the place.
-Visceral-
Since Loctav told me to post my opinions on the mappool:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv_ ... cHHlL8/pub

Please read all of it.
Ascendance
Taking a reply from the reddit thread:

i get that old map/relatively low ar reading is important but isn't this a bit much? It's almost half the pool lol
I'm all for having old style maps in the pool, but I think the map selectors went a bit over the top with these.
In the past, old maps have been used as a sort of niche, unique, power pick that some teams could use to their advantage over other teams by having diverse players. When that becomes the dominant part of the map pool, the old style maps lose that unique feeling of having them as a back pocket pick and more of "which AR8 map do we pick this time".

Also, freemod should be a category where a team is afraid to use a mod, not a category where mods make the maps easier to play (hi rog unlimitation and night of knights). just my two cents!
NaTha
what do you think, whos your favorite team and who will win? I think South Korea is pretty good this year
Topic Starter
Loctav
Updated the wiki!
Enon
holy moly the mappool of this round
show more