forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
Endaris
The better your average accuracy is, the less likely it is to miss. I often find myself missing after I misread a pattern because I got out of rhythm and because it tilts me when I get the impression that I am mashing.
Accuracy is the best indicator of how much control you got over what you are doing and aimconsistency is part of that control. There are also people who are very aimconsistent with not-so-great acc but a correlation certainly does exist.
stalkyh
I just realized that when i'm using more fingers than wrist i am more consistant. Also having hand below the tablet makes me more consistant, than when i'm having my hand on the tablet when playing (i have large area). Also i think i need to focus a bit more to notes than i am currently focusing, to further increase my consistancy. Also i think i will start playing small cs size to improve aiming as well as play more ar8 to improve reading.

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5558440
I just choked a play, sliderbreak at last 20 notes because i was shaking so much.. Also bit of acc choke (had 99% at first)
Rdzu
Try to focus a lot when you feel the shitmiss coming. At least it works for me because when I shitmiss it's because I lose my focus as the map goes.
Aktsumi
You have to elaborate on BAD HABITS
"The best way to do something is to do it right the first time. If you learn to do it right the first timeeven if it is more difficult, it will be one less thing to worry about later on."

If it's a difficult map instead of mashing what could you do? you have to answer questions like that
Deva

Aktsumi wrote:

If it's a difficult map instead of mashing what could you do?
Not play a map that you have to mash.
Aktsumi

HK_ wrote:

Aktsumi wrote:

If it's a difficult map instead of mashing what could you do?
Not play a map that you have to mash.
many top players said to playing challenging maps though well that challenge is to single tap faster
Deva

Aktsumi wrote:

many top players said to playing challenging maps though well that challenge is to single tap faster
Playing challenging maps is very different from straight out mashing every note you see.
Zarkav
this game is really good for your mental health eh
Outline
I'm normally Fcing then I get bored and just stop paying attention ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll never be above 50k
Mashi
Well, the thing is that all of the above are not what I have problems with. I am surprisingly good at moving my mouse to the right spot. The only thing I do have a problem with is clicking. A.k.a. tripple clicks (or more). Especially in really fast maps, I can follow all of the notes with my mouse, but I just can't click it in time. Is there any way you could help me?
Luqanted

thelewa wrote:

I just read all of this and surprisingly everything is true
Bow marker
I just want to get better so i am good atleast in osu and i can be proud of myself
a k a r i-
am i gonna become the very best pokemon trainer if i follow these steps ?
deidarabochi

a k a r i- wrote:

am i gonna become the very best pokemon trainer if i follow these steps ?
maybe
Sandy Hoey

Mashihoe wrote:

Well, the thing is that all of the above are not what I have problems with. I am surprisingly good at moving my mouse to the right spot. The only thing I do have a problem with is clicking. A.k.a. tripple clicks (or more). Especially in really fast maps, I can follow all of the notes with my mouse, but I just can't click it in time. Is there any way you could help me?
You only have 9 minutes played. I don't know if you're kidding or not... play more
R-unknown

Luqanted wrote:

thelewa wrote:

I just read all of this and surprisingly everything is true
Bandison
how do i get better lel
athyriel
I can relate.
Francis
Anyone got tips on how to stop yourself from moving your mouse before clicking the circles? I always end up missing dumb and easy notes cause I move my mouse before I click the circle with my keyboard.
DarthSmith
Try to lower DPI on your mouse. Change skin.
Shiwahime
SilverBlade128
I'll keep these in mind ^_^ tnx
Paulie
Lots of truth in here. This bit is one I can relate to the most, though.

ScarletStory wrote:

I have given you a little insight as to what bad habits are above, now ask yourself, if you practice doing the same thing wrong all the time every day what's going to happen? Well, you're just going to get better at being bad, and if you get better at being bad, that means you're just going to get worse.

A bunch of unnecessary words to say that if you are constantly practicing with bad habits, you're only going to get worse not better which makes sense. Think of any bad habit you've had, have had, or have broken, ITS REALLY DIFFICULT!! Not only is it difficult to break bad habits it's also hard to stop them from reoccurring later on.

The best way to do something is to do it right the first time. If you learn to do it right the first timeeven if it is more difficult, it will be one less thing to worry about later on.
This is so true. Learned this the hard way. I used to improve relatively fast at first, but with harder songs I started developing this habit of squeezing the pen really hard while playing. Soon enough my wrist started hurting just after a couple songs, not even very difficult ones, which not only made it harder to play, but caused frustration as well causing me to lose concentration very fast..

My best scores (which are really not all that impressive, to be honest) were set 2-3 years back and now I'm nowhere close to the level I've been at back then. I've improved in some areas such as reading and alternating, but my overall skill dropped significantly. I'm still struggling with this. I really wish I could get rid of this habit, to enjoy the game as much as I used to when I could feel the improvement.
Agustusleo
MY PICTURE IS COMMON AND I'M WORTHLESS YAY!!!
AlbinoRabe
Oh yes, pretty much everythin is true. Except the tablet part, after half a day I was already better with the tablet than with my mouse but that´s for some part cuz im kinda shaky and being able to completele lay down my hand while using a pen gives me more control.

Also I feel like what Legxis said almost deserves to move up to the big points, not only quotes. The map pool is really dam important, just had the problem myself. Was stuck for quite some time and since I downloaded ~300 new maps i skyrocketed (atleast in my own perspective).
Drudeger
So I know this is an oldish post, but I've read through the whole thing and I'd like for someone to help me identify some of my habits and whether or not I'm correctly snapping to notes with these replays:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rluw0fx5r9e9i ... u.osr?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41yymcnipu85h ... u.osr?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pe740qlh3tzk ... u.osr?dl=0
I already know I have a bit of a timing problem but I've been working on that for a while now. I honestly don't know of any habits I may have (other than restarting whenever I mess up on a relatively easy part) or if I'm snapping correctly because I really can't feel it. (I kinda freaked out at the end of Everything Will Freeze and Blue Zenith ;-;) Could somebody help me identify some of my problems and whether or not I'm snapping correctly?
Canadian Cake

Drudeger wrote:

So I know this is an oldish post, but I've read through the whole thing and I'd like for someone to help me identify some of my habits and whether or not I'm correctly snapping to notes with these replays:
I already know I have a bit of a timing problem but I've been working on that for a while now. I honestly don't know of any habits I may have (other than restarting whenever I mess up on a relatively easy part) or if I'm snapping correctly because I really can't feel it. (I kinda freaked out at the end of Everything Will Freeze and Blue Zenith ;-;) Could somebody help me identify some of my problems and whether or not I'm snapping correctly?

You like fine to me once you get to harder difficulties you will start to realize what you are bad at.
Drudeger

Blueishtea wrote:

You like fine to me once you get to harder difficulties you will start to realize what you are bad at.

Ok. I'll try to get myself to improve naturally to get to that point. Thanks.
Reminiscent

Drudeger wrote:

After analyzing your replays, I see some issues that actually do take a while to fix, but these are fixes that can be mended naturally when playing harder maps.
1. Your snapping looks a bit too "flowy," sort of ironic, but I see it within Blue Zenith and Everything Will Freeze. Just be a little snappier like in your Invisible replay.
2. This is not really an issue, but just a warning and my preference, | https://s13.postimg.org/555xohhpj/screenshot030edit.jpg |, you will probably see a pattern like that in maps faster than that. I would recommend that you would practice using two fingers, I used paint to show the pattern.
3. To improve, put DT on those songs. Then once you become comfortable, then start going up to harder songs. Well, that's a longer way of saying "just play more."

Last thing, why does your replays show that your M1 is being pressed? It doesn't look like it is interfering with anything, but I am just curious...
Drudeger

Selestial wrote:

After analyzing your replays, I see some issues that actually do take a while to fix, but these are fixes that can be mended naturally when playing harder maps.
1. Your snapping looks a bit too "flowy," sort of ironic, but I see it within Blue Zenith and Everything Will Freeze. Just be a little snappier like in your Invisible replay.
okee. Though Idk what you mean by "flowy"?
2. This is not really an issue, but just a warning and my preference, | https://s13.postimg.org/555xohhpj/screenshot030edit.jpg |, you will probably see a pattern like that in maps faster than that. I would recommend that you would practice using two fingers, I used paint to show the pattern.
Two fingers problem (mostly) fixed. I just needa learn how to do it correctly. :3
3. To improve, put DT on those songs. Then once you become comfortable, then start going up to harder songs. Well, that's a longer way of saying "just play more."
I'm guessing you mean Double Time? If so, ok. Though I'd like to play offline to do so, so this doesn't affect my overall accuracy, but idk how. Do I just log off of my account, or is there something in the settings?

Last thing, why does your replays show that your M1 is being pressed? It doesn't look like it is interfering with anything, but I am just curious... I recently just fixed this, but I play with a tablet and when I would tap and hold with the pen, it would register it as a left click and hold. This not only messed me up on some parts because it would randomely register clicks, but it prevented me from using two fingers, because my left click key on my keyboard wouldn't register left clicks properly. I learned that turning off mouse click inputs in the osu! settings would fix this, so I can now play using two fingers :3
Reminiscent

Drudeger wrote:

Selestial wrote:

okee. Though Idk what you mean by "flowy"?
Hmm, I don't really know the best way to say it, but when your snapping from circle to circle, it's like liquid. When snapping really fast towards a circle, you'll tend to have an initial forward motion as you try to get your cursor to the hit circle/slider, then once you reach that destination, there will be a backwards motion to keep it in place.

Drudeger wrote:

Selestial wrote:

I'm guessing you mean Double Time? If so, ok. Though I'd like to play offline to do so, so this doesn't affect my overall accuracy, but idk how. Do I just log off of my account, or is there something in the settings?
Yeah, you can log off, or turn on Spun Out mod. The difference is that spun out will do the spinning for you, but it will unrank that play. I honestly wouldn't worry if your overall accuracy decreases. If I have low accuracy (which I still do), then I would be more willing to improve myself.
Osten
Hmmmm dow do i get better easy you practice on stuff that is hard for you :^)
I practice with the HR mod cus it makes things faster and smaller
KtkC
:oops:

Selestial wrote:

Hmm, I don't really know the best way to say it, but when your snapping from circle to circle, it's like liquid. When snapping really fast towards a circle, you'll tend to have an initial forward motion as you try to get your cursor to the hit circle/slider, then once you reach that destination, there will be a backwards motion to keep it in place.
Would you say the difference is shown between these two gifs, where I've exaggerated the motions?:

flowy/liquid: https://gfycat.com/MadeupAlertAmericanbulldog

rigid: https://gfycat.com/GoodnaturedYellowGartersnake

If not, bleh ok oh well

Imagine tracing your cursor's path:
- When you land and press on the circle, your cursor should briefly stop, as if drawing the corner of a polygon
- Compare your cursor's movement to the autopilot's (which is near-optimal, if not optimal), you'll notice the autopilot far more rigid, precise, in its cursor movement. It moves to a circle, stops, presses, moves to the next one
- The autopilot won't sweep over circles while clicking on the way through them, which is what "flowy" looks like (the gist of it)
- This seems a bit odd at first but it's to build solid consistency and lets people play faster without getting into a mess
But I'm sure some people out there make it work somehow...
Dusk69
Is this necro? Pls don't kill me.

kthxbai

Anyone plays OSU!?

:o
Suissie

Francis wrote:

Anyone got tips on how to stop yourself from moving your mouse before clicking the circles? I always end up missing dumb and easy notes cause I move my mouse before I click the circle with my keyboard.
wot... Just get used to your sensitivity. And just get better at Osu lol.
Reminiscent

KtkC wrote:

Would you say the difference is shown between these two gifs, where I've exaggerated the motions?:

flowy/liquid: https://gfycat.com/MadeupAlertAmericanbulldog

rigid: https://gfycat.com/GoodnaturedYellowGartersnake
Exactly what I meant.
zeno61
Just sharing. Peace.

Ever since I switched to tablet and just had a "oh f*ck it, who cares" personality with my score, I actually got out of the normal difficulty after 2 YEARS!!! Damn that was long.

I was actually still using mouse when I got into the hard (3*) levels and I switched to tablet ever since we got one. For me, I adapted easily since I'm used to using pens. That said, I still had a hard time when I first switched and really went tsundere with the tablet and prefered the mouse when playing. But when I got used to it, insane (4*) levels became easier. Now I use the tablet whenever I play.

And half a year later after starting hard, I got here and still improving. There are times when I get slumps and hurt myself when playing but it didn't stop me.

Ronja
thx
Spirit Depelo
some of this is working but i can't understand how you are spelling for god coast sake i understand lol gtg and all of that other stuff bout you lost me here..................
BaraWolf
This page is now going to be a note to self
show more