forum

System Of A Down - Needles

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jawns
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 15 January 2016 at 02:00:21

Artist: System Of A Down
Title: Needles
BPM: 182.29
Filesize: 4985kb
Play Time: 03:12
Difficulties Available:
  1. Extra (5.56 stars, 786 notes)
  2. Hard (3.65 stars, 525 notes)
  3. Insane (4.98 stars, 766 notes)
  4. Light Insane (4.08 stars, 526 notes)
  5. Normal (1.98 stars, 300 notes)
  6. Pain in the A** (6.57 stars, 837 notes)
Download: System Of A Down - Needles
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Hi, I am Jawns, and this is the first map i have ever finished.
I feel like it became quite weird, but there is a good reason behind every decision i've made. I have explained them in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwmRLs2 ... e=youtu.be.
A couple of things I am going to work on:

Polishing the timing (it was a pain to time, and it's not perfect, so some feedback on where polish is most needed would be appreciated!) (Done-ish)

Adding hitsounds all the way through. Cause, duh! (Done)

Making an insane map, and probably a hard map as well (Done, hard became maybe a bit to hard)

UPDATE 1: Made the extra map, made combos shorter, added hitsounds, made Pain in the A**'s difficulty more consistent. New video is out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYcv_rl ... e=youtu.be

Anyway, since this is my first beatmap, any and all help is appreciated!

Jawns

Btw, would this be considered a nsfw map?

Update 2: Made the insane map. Will upload a video, when i make the hard map as well.

Update 3: Made the hard (hyper?) map. Made a video as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhAncSb ... e=youtu.be , and move on to the next map (will ofcourse respond to mods, and change stuff around in this one as well).

Update 4: I finally decided to not be a lazy asshole, and made a normal and a proper hard difficulty (renamed previous "hard" to "light insane" in the process). This is now, technically, rankable, as far as i know, let's go for it!
ComfyWolf
Just leaving this post here as a reminder for modding.
Kyozoru
*NOTE: All Bpm in difficulty Should be the same!*
(You have too many problems with this beatmap, but your notes pattern are good, just need a little improvement)
First off, Make the BPM flat as 189.00
Hard:
*Remove The Other BPM, don't remove the 189.00 one
If you add hitsouds, Just add Timing Section, Not Bpm points
01:05:908 (5) - Remove That
01:50:662 (4) - Change That Starting point at 01:50:818 and the ending still same at 01:51:442
*This Diff (Hard) Is Like Insane, it's 4stars, but i think there is no problem with it ^^*
Insane:
Make The BPM as flat as 189.00
*Fix The Notes too*
And again 01:05:908 (5) - Remove that
Extra:
Again Make the BPM Flat
Offset: 159
*Fix the notes too :3*
The patterns are good here, nothing to mess with it, just move the notes to a proper timed point...
Pain in The A**:
Flat BPM as 189.00
Offset: 150
Nothing to mess with the notes again :o

All BPM in difficulty should be the same, if you add some hitsounds or something, just add timing section, not bpm points
Topic Starter
jawns

Kyozoru wrote:

*NOTE: All Bpm in difficulty Should be the same!*
(You have too many problems with this beatmap, but your notes pattern are good, just need a little improvement)
First off, Make the BPM flat as 189.00
The problem with the bpm in this song, is that the drummer can't seem to keep a steady beat. If I make the bpm consistent throughout the song, the music will sometimes speed up and sometimes slow down. I have to change the bpm of the beatmap to match it
Hard:
If you add hitsouds, Just add Timing Section, Not Bpm points
01:05:908 (5) - Remove That I think it works here, because the beatmap follows the vocals in that section. Will remove it if other people point it out
01:50:662 (4) - Change That Starting point at 01:50:818 and the ending still same at 01:51:442 ^
*This Diff (Hard) Is Like Insane, it's 4stars, but i think there is no problem with it ^^* I considered this, though since i already have an insane map, and it's significantly more difficult than this one, i went with hard. Might change it to "light insane"
Insane:
Make The BPM as flat as 189.00
*Fix The Notes too*
And again 01:05:908 (5) - Remove that I think it works here, because the beatmap follows the vocals in that section. Will remove it if other people point it out
Extra:
Again Make the BPM Flat
Offset: 159
*Fix the notes too :3*
The patterns are good here, nothing to mess with it, just move the notes to a proper timed point...
Pain in The A**:
Flat BPM as 189.00
Offset: 150
Nothing to mess with the notes again :o

All BPM in difficulty should be the same, if you add some hitsounds or something, just add timing section, not bpm points
Thanks for the mod! Will definitely consider the changes
Spagett
Please be mindful that I am also a beginner mapper, and these critiques should be taken lightly, as most of them are personal and not rank-wise

Add Breaks in the harder difficulties to allow the player to have some breathing room.

Try stacking less, I would list all of the stacks but then this would be a written report and not a mod (haha.)
I would suggest with the 3 note stacks that you do what you did in the beginning of the "Pain in the A**" difficulty, as that was done very well, and allowed the beatmap to really flow in the beginning.

That's pretty much it, from my point of view.
Warpyc
From Pulse modding queue

• After going through this map, I have to say it certanly needs some work. first off audio bitrate is too high, secondly this bpm is something special to say the least, but what I do know is that it's unrankable.

the Pain in the a** diff has really inconsistant spacing and the stacked tripples just doesnt fit in between the huge jumps in the map, slider shapes could be improved if you're interested there are some really helpful slider guides.

The Extra set suffers from the same peoblems, but now for this map and all future maps: disable Countdown, and Widescreen support, you could add relevant combo colors as well.

Another general thing about the map is that the hard diff is too hard to be a hard, if that made any sense xd it has to be lower than 3.75 stars

other than that I dont have a lot to say except keep on mapping and good luck!

Now there's one thing that's really important!: Dont get discouraged, this is pretty much what everyones first maps looks like, a good advice is to just keep mapping and seek insperation from other mappers, good luck in the future, I look forward to seeing your maps later o/ :D
Topic Starter
jawns

Warpyc wrote:

From Pulse modding queue

• After going through this map, I have to say it certanly needs some work. first off audio bitrate is too highFixed, secondly this bpm is something special to say the least It is necessary, I've explained why previously (drums aren't quantized), but what I do know is that it's unrankable.

the Pain in the a** diff has really inconsistant spacing So does a lot of maps and the stacked tripples just doesnt fit in between the huge jumps in the map I assume here you are talking about the chorus. That was a very deliberate decision, because the music has a bit of a "stop and go" motion here, so I mapped it in a similar way. However, I did change the spacing on some other triples to fit the song better, slider shapes could be improved if you're interested there are some really helpful slider guidesI might look into that.

The Extra set suffers from the same peoblems, but now for this map and all future maps: disable Countdown, and Widescreen support Done, you could add relevant combo colors as well.

Another general thing about the map is that the hard diff is too hard to be a hard, if that made any sense xd it has to be lower than 3.75 stars I might change it to "hyper" or "light insane"

other than that I dont have a lot to say except keep on mapping and good luck!

Now there's one thing that's really important!: Dont get discouraged, this is pretty much what everyones first maps looks like, a good advice is to just keep mapping and seek insperation from other mappers, good luck in the future, I look forward to seeing your maps later o/ :D
-Nya-
Heya~ M4M from modreqs.

General:
  1. Since this is your first mapset, I thought that I would just mention this to you: Try to let your slider velocity go from low to high (Easy to Insane), consistently. Many mappers don’t deem this so important but because they are used to mapping, they know what they are doing. Basically I think it would be best not to have the highest diff in the set have a lower slider velocity than Extra and Insane, and rather not have different diffs have the same slider velocity either. For a well-balanced set, try to make the slider velocities different for each diff. In case you experiment a bit with a different slider velocity for Light Insane and realize that a higher slider velocity doesn’t play that nice or doesn’t really compliment the diff, then you can leave it as it is. I just mentioned this for future maps and to make you aware of this aspect.
  2. Remember to check Aimod (Ctrl+Shift+A) in all the diffs to come across problems that usually have to be fixed.
  3. I don’t think I know of a single ranked mapset that make use of 100% audio across the entire diff. I am aware that the music is quite loud but using 100% volume seems like overkill to me. Lower it to 80% at least and try to use different volumes for each section. For example, before the kiai you would use a lower volume from here: 00:00:195 – to 00:05:092 – and then you would raise the volume a bit from here: 00:05:425 – to 00:55:875 – In the kiai the volume would obviously be the loudest. I’d say 80% or something. I also suggest you try to find custom hitsounds for this mapset since it’ll fit in perfectly with the loud music. Maybe: http://puu.sh/mvkLa/7fc9720a3c.wav and http://puu.sh/mvkLJ/f88cb2868e.wav or http://puu.sh/mvkMG/30ed3a6ae5.wav You can also try looking in other songs’ folders and finding suitable hitsounds. Add this soundfile into your song’s folder to silence those annoying sliderslide sounds: http://puu.sh/mvm7o/4d72125239.wav
  4. Your background is not the right resolution. You’ll have to find an image with a resolution of 1366X768 or 1024X768.
  5. You’re going to have to use distance spacing most of the time (especially in Normal, Hard, Light Insane and Insane) if you want to get this ranked. If you don’t use distance spacing, stuff like this can happen:
  6. All your diffs doesn’t have the same timing points (red lines) Make sure they are all consistent.
  7. 00:05:425 – It may just be me, but the timing feels off here. I highly suggest you find an expert timer to time this map for you. Names that I know of: Charles445 and pishifat and maybe Sieg.

Pain in the A**:
  1. You’re going to have to check AiMod (Ctrl+Shift+A) There are a few unsnapped objects that has to be snapped correctly.
  2. 00:00:195 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) –etc. Placing so many triples after one another is just overmapping and very uncomfortable to play (even if this is the hardest diff). I suggest replacing many of them with a repeat slider:
  3. 00:02:498 (8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6) –Overlaps like this isn’t a good idea at all, since it looks ugly and just crammed.
  4. 00:03:808 (10,11,12,1,2,3) –Keep spacings consistent. These two patterns are slightly touching each other and it doesn’t look good at all and is just unnecessary.
  5. Be careful of too big jumps please. A lot of these jumps are just too much and will cause your diff to be unrankable. Jumps that stood out for me: 00:15:084 (6,7) - 00:17:804 (4,5) - 00:25:373 (5,6) - 00:25:699 (7,8) – and many more. These are jumps that are totally insane and is a must-fix imo. The other jumps would also need to be polished but I’ll rather leave that for future mods.
  6. 00:46:838 (3,6) –These slider shapes can also be improved. You can take a look at this thread: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/37194 for assistance.

My biggest concern is the jumps. You’ll really need to take a look at other hard diffs and just look at what other mappers did with their jumps. Remember that it’s not just jumps that make a diff difficult. Don’t force insane jumps to raise the difficulty. Of course this diff can be polished as well. Try to avoid unnecessary overlaps and try placing objects (sliders) creatively for neatness and a well-structured diff. Try to avoid objects crossing each other as well – No That was taken from the Hard diff.

The other hard diffs will have similar problems as above so I’m not gonna give separate mods for them as well since that will just be unnecessary.

Normal:
  1. 00:01:511 (1) –Try not to curve sliders too much since they tend to look ugly then. There are many of these.
  2. 00:06:689 (1,1) –Like I have said above: Try to avoid unnecessary overlaps since they look ugly and mess up the look of a diff, especially the easiest diffs.
  3. 01:02:427 (1,2) –I personally don’t think rhythms like this is suitable for the easiest diff since they can catch beginners off guard.
  4. 01:03:351 –There is a very loud vocal here, so not placing a note here is just not sensible.

This can’t be considered the easiest diff for a few reasons: The diff is not beginner-friendly. There are a lot of rhythms that are tricky, like 01:02:427 (1,2) – 01:23:894 (1,2) – etc. I also feel the number of circles that are placed after each other is too many for the easiest diff. The solution would be to map an Easy diff or find someone else to do it. Taking a look at it as a Normal, the rhythms aren’t bad at all, but the main issue is that the diff isn’t polished yet and can look much neater. Try to avoid unnecessary overlaps and so on and so on . . . (like I had said before in the hardest diff)

All the diffs will need to be remapped, but so far (for your first map) it’s not that bad. My suggestion would be to take a look at other ranked mapsets and see approximately what other mappers have done.

Good Luck~!
Topic Starter
jawns

-Nya- wrote:

Heya~ M4M from modreqs.

General:
  1. Since this is your first mapset, I thought that I would just mention this to you: Try to let your slider velocity go from low to high (Easy to Insane), consistently. Many mappers don’t deem this so important but because they are used to mapping, they know what they are doing. Basically I think it would be best not to have the highest diff in the set have a lower slider velocity than Extra and Insane, and rather not have different diffs have the same slider velocity either. For a well-balanced set, try to make the slider velocities different for each diff. In case you experiment a bit with a different slider velocity for Light Insane and realize that a higher slider velocity doesn’t play that nice or doesn’t really compliment the diff, then you can leave it as it is. I just mentioned this for future maps and to make you aware of this aspect. Didn't even notice. Fixed! (left the hard/light insane as they were though)
  2. Remember to check Aimod (Ctrl+Shift+A) in all the diffs to come across problems that usually have to be fixed. Thought i had dona that, apparently i wasn't thorough enough. Fixed
  3. I don’t think I know of a single ranked mapset that make use of 100% audio across the entire diff. I am aware that the music is quite loud but using 100% volume seems like overkill to me. Lower it to 80% at least and try to use different volumes for each section. For example, before the kiai you would use a lower volume from here: 00:00:195 – to 00:05:092 – and then you would raise the volume a bit from here: 00:05:425 – to 00:55:875 – In the kiai the volume would obviously be the loudest. I’d say 80% or something. I also suggest you try to find custom hitsounds for this mapset since it’ll fit in perfectly with the loud music. Maybe: http://puu.sh/mvkLa/7fc9720a3c.wav and http://puu.sh/mvkLJ/f88cb2868e.wav or http://puu.sh/mvkMG/30ed3a6ae5.wav You can also try looking in other songs’ folders and finding suitable hitsounds. Add this soundfile into your song’s folder to silence those annoying sliderslide sounds: http://puu.sh/mvm7o/4d72125239.wavMight do that when i have the time
  4. Your background is not the right resolution. You’ll have to find an image with a resolution of 1366X768 or 1024X768. Fixed
  5. You’re going to have to use distance spacing most of the time (especially in Normal, Hard, Light Insane and Insane) if you want to get this ranked. If you don’t use distance spacing, stuff like this can happen:
    I used distance spacing for a large part. The problems you mentioned are because the notes are snapped to the next timing section, and not to the next beat
  6. All your diffs doesn’t have the same timing points (red lines) Make sure they are all consistent.I've checked every single point, either I've missed it, or it's a question about small decimals
  7. 00:05:425 – It may just be me, but the timing feels off here. I highly suggest you find an expert timer to time this map for you. Names that I know of: Charles445 and pishifat and maybe Sieg I might, or i might try to fix it myself.

Pain in the A**:
  1. You’re going to have to check AiMod (Ctrl+Shift+A) There are a few unsnapped objects that has to be snapped correctlyFixed.
  2. 00:00:195 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) –etc. Placing so many triples after one another is just overmapping and very uncomfortable to play (even if this is the hardest diff). I suggest replacing many of them with a repeat slider:
    Had a person tell me the exact opposite (it was fine compared to the difficulty), but will change if more people point it out.
  3. 00:02:498 (8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6) –Overlaps like this isn’t a good idea at all, since it looks ugly and just crammed.Never understood why looks are such a big deal. I highly focus on playability rather than aesthetic
  4. 00:03:808 (10,11,12,1,2,3) –Keep spacings consistent. These two patterns are slightly touching each other and it doesn’t look good at all and is just unnecessary.Fixed
  5. Be careful of too big jumps please. A lot of these jumps are just too much and will cause your diff to be unrankable. Jumps that stood out for me: 00:15:084 (6,7) - 00:17:804 (4,5) - 00:25:373 (5,6) - 00:25:699 (7,8) – and many more. These are jumps that are totally insane and is a must-fix imo. The other jumps would also need to be polished but I’ll rather leave that for future mods.Why is this a problem? Plenty of maps have difficult jumps
  6. 00:46:838 (3,6) –These slider shapes can also be improved. You can take a look at this thread: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/37194 for assistance.
Refer to my previous comment about aesthetic

My biggest concern is the jumps. You’ll really need to take a look at other hard diffs and just look at what other mappers did with their jumps.I don't care what other mappers do, I want to know why what i do is wrong. Remember that it’s not just jumps that make a diff difficult. Don’t force insane jumps to raise the difficulty. Never did. Of course this diff can be polished as well. Try to avoid unnecessary overlaps and try placing objects (sliders) creatively for neatness and a well-structured diff. I don't know what you mean by this. Try to avoid objects crossing each other as well – No That was taken from the Hard diff That was deliberate.

The other hard diffs will have similar problems as above so I’m not gonna give separate mods for them as well since that will just be unnecessary.

Normal:
  1. 00:01:511 (1) –Try not to curve sliders too much since they tend to look ugly then. There are many of these.1. I disagree. 2. Refer to my previous comment about aesthetic
  2. 00:06:689 (1,1) –Like I have said above: Try to avoid unnecessary overlaps since they look ugly and mess up the look of a diff, especially the easiest diffs.I might agree this can be a reading problem at lower diffs, however it is a very intuitive pattern
  3. 01:02:427 (1,2) –I personally don’t think rhythms like this is suitable for the easiest diff since they can catch beginners off guard.I'm curious weather that is necessary, since the only official rule is, that the map is <2 stars, which i managed
  4. 01:03:351 –There is a very loud vocal here, so not placing a note here is just not sensible. That note is less important than the other notes

This can’t be considered the easiest diff for a few reasons: The diff is not beginner-friendly. There are a lot of rhythms that are tricky, like 01:02:427 (1,2) – 01:23:894 (1,2) – etc. I also feel the number of circles that are placed after each other is too many for the easiest diff. The solution would be to map an Easy diff or find someone else to do it. Taking a look at it as a Normal, the rhythms aren’t bad at all, but the main issue is that the diff isn’t polished yet and can look much neater. Try to avoid unnecessary overlaps and so on and so on . . . (like I had said before in the hardest diff) As i mentioned, this is "technically" easy enough, but if more people comment on this issue, i might make an "easy" diff

All the diffs will need to be remapped, but so far (for your first map) it’s not that bad. My suggestion would be to take a look at other ranked mapsets and see approximately what other mappers have done Again, I don't care about what they do right, I care about what I do wrong.

Good Luck~!
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.