forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (osu!mania)

posted
Total Posts
show more
October Scream

abraker wrote:

True, but even playing dysfunctional maps requires skill. They cannot be appreciated, but it's something.
Playing dysfunctional converts like Ascension to Heaven, Mad Machine, Everything Will Freeze, and Worldwide Choppers is not something. It's like going to a restaurant and getting a steak, then being given a two spoons to eat it. You'll eventually get it, but you won't enjoy the crap work you went through.
abraker

October Scream wrote:

You'll eventually get it, but you won't enjoy the crap work you went through.
This kinda reminds me of the older standard maps, when the ranking process was lenient. I never enjoy those maps as much as today's maps and avoid them as a result. While I don't have the same feeling towards autoconverted ranked maps, I guess ranked maps have to have an aesthetic to them. But I will still be towards for not deranking autoconverted maps. Lots of lower ranked players play them, and I don't think it will be in their favor if this would happen.
PyaKura
Thing is if you're only starting as a mania player you will most likely not care about pp at all. Making it so pp are only awarded by mania specific maps will send players on the right track naturally without the need to correct them as soon as they start caring about ranking.
Tidek
@October Scream
Autoconverts for taiko and ctb are shit too, dont say too much about game modes where u dont have basic knowledge about them.

@Topic
You guys forgot why DT was removed from ranking? Because it was overpowered, especially on autoconverts and now it will be even more overpowered because of easy to spam maps like haelequin or space time.

Dont expect that DT pp will be added without fixing a star rating formula. But Im honestly surprised that HT started to give pp again, maybe its a sign that some important changes are gonna happen.
Redon
October Scream

Tidek wrote:

@October Scream
Autoconverts for taiko and ctb are shit too, dont say too much about game modes where u dont have basic knowledge about them.
Umm, you obviously haven't seen me play CtB before Tidek. I think the way standard maps concert for CtB is WAAAAAY better than what converts for mania. Taiko maps convert poorly too, but still better than what you get from mania because of the fact it's mapped towards hit sounds and not putting random shit out for you. Trust me I don't sit around and just play mania. Maybe if you looked more.

Also keep in mind YOU have barely any knowledge either. I see nothing about Taiko even, so you shut your trap until you look around and get some experience before bitching to someone who has more knowledge about a certain mode more than you.
abraker

Tidek wrote:

You guys forgot why DT was removed from ranking? Because it was overpowered, especially on autoconverts and now it will be even more overpowered because of easy to spam maps like haelequin or space time.
Now that I think about it, bringing back DT ranking and deranking autoconverts can be justified. As for the spamming, DT shouldn't scale the hit area with the map to be larger, it's should keep it as it is without DT.
October Scream

abraker wrote:

As for the spamming, DT shouldn't scale the hit area with the map to be larger, it's should keep it as it is without DT.
I can agree on this, but if something like that were to happen, I feel that there would be a whole scoreboard reset due to the changing function.
xch00F
maybe when mania first came out as a playstyle, autoconvert pp was a good thing (lol) but now there are enough ranked charts to probably accurately depict skill levels. there are also a plethora of unranked maps, more than a few of which are significantly better than anything currently ranked/will ever be ranked, so I don't think there will be any detriment now in removing autoconvert pp. ranked maps don't happen very often, so it wouldn't be very hard to keep up with new maps

in the case of dt/ht pp, if there's no way to get it right, or if there's no way to appease the majority, simply remove both from the equation
Kamikaze
It wasn't a good thing, it was the only thing. I remember how bullshit the system was in ppv1, to the point of currently 1,5 star autoconvert giving way more pp than currently 4,5 star mania maps. But now that we have ranked maps, there is only one thing right to do
R E M O V E A U T O C O N V E R T

More to the suggestions about 7K (mainly):
-heavy chord maps are heavily overrated, even when they are slow. Especially in comparsion to stream heavy maps. Example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/176336 The Epilogue is a ultra easy to read, very easy to hit and not very fast sith only difficulty coming from having to hit heavy chords, whilist Blocko's Interlude contains much harder to read and hit patterns at considerably higher speed. Star rating counts Epilogue as 6,2* diff and Interlude as 4,5*. My scores for comparsion are: 920k on Epilogue, 730k on Interlude.
-Long note heavy maps with complicated technically are heavily underrated. It's not a big problem with fast and dense LN patterns, but the problem becomes big with long LNs combined with medium lenght ones, without any short LN spam. Also lesser amount of notes with harder LNs loses against simple LNs and heavier note usage, while former is harder. Example: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/498730&m=3 Lv.25 is way harder than Lv.27, but Lv.27 still manages to have 0,5* more. My scores for comparsion: Lv.25 627k (with 5-6 tries) Lv.27 758k (2 tries)

I consider myself as fairly average player in any aspect of 7k
Elementaires
change everything

ty
PyaKura
^

not gonna happen

but I can only agree
Shoegazer
http://ask.fm/Tom94/answer/128118253262

Posting as requested - discussed with Staiain as well on what the ratings should be instead of what they are now.

Overrated maps:
Miracle 5ympho X [Fullerene's Black Another] - Exemplary map that shows how much emphasis is put into max NPS in a certain period more than anything else. Aside from the transitioning between jumptrilling at 210 BPM (which is barely difficult, it's significantly easier than say Kamui - which is currently 4.86*) - there's nothing that's close to 5* in this map. Probably 4.5*?

Diva 1.2x [Insane] - The quadjacks in this are hard, but really not worth 7.75* or whatever it's rated at the moment. There isn't too much of a difference between jumpjacks and quadjacks at this speed - in fact quadjacks are arguably easier than jumpjacks because jumpjacks require different motions if they change chords whereas quadjacks is just one motion. Probably 5.4*.

AiAe [Wafles' SHD] - Very hard, but certainly doesn't deserve a 1.22* discrepancy between it and Haelequin. The hardest parts of this map are the quadstreams and the stamina component, rather than the walls (which is how AiAe is getting its difficulty). This is probably a 6-6.1* map, more than anything else.

M.A.M.A. [ExTra] - Generally easy up to the ending (which is a 1/8 jumpstream with a jump layered on every other note), which is the hardest part. However, M.A.M.A.'s ending could be easily manipulated as a 1/6 jumptrill. I know multiple people who can S this easily and they can't even come remotely close to S'ing anything that should be in the 6* range - this is probably closer to 5.6-5.7* than what it is at the moment. It is a very luck-based map, a person who can't even pass AiAe on command could potentially get an S on this.

Underrated maps:
AiAe [SC] - This is a considerable boost from MX, but the difference between the two is only 0.21. SC has significantly harder patterning and layering - with tons of hidden one hand trilling and transitions with minijacks. It definitely deserves more than just a 4.60 rating - probably more towards 4.9 to 5.0 instead of whatever it is at the moment.

Imperishable Night 2006 [4K Insane] - Probably the most underrated 4K map that's currently ranked - 161 BPM 1/8 runningmen (essentially 322 BPM 1/4s) is something that's not doable for a good number of players. The leaderboards speak for themselves - the fact that the leaderboards look almost as bad as AiAe's should signify that it should be around the same level as AiAe, if not maybe lower due to the differences in scoring difficulty. Perhaps about 5.8?

Kamui [Insane] - Not so much demanding in terms of speed, but there's a lot of consistency demanded with tons of LNs that can't be released all that comfortably and long trills with chords layered onto them in an unorthodox manner. This tests a completely different type of consistency - so this might be harder to adjust in terms of difficulty. This is probably more towards 5.2-5.3, maybe higher.

The End [Keyboard Marathon] - 8 minutes of handstream and dense jumpstream at 200 BPM is significantly significantly harder than most maps at its given difficulty. It's certainly harder to score on than HAELEQUIN and We Luv Lama [AAA]. We Luv Lama is mainly 210 BPM dense jumpstream with considerable breaks, whereas The End is far longer and has harder patterning (albeit shorter). This is probably closer to 5.6*.

Angelic Layer [4K Overjoy Stage 1] - The hardest part of this map is that it's insanely difficult to be able to jack on a single note consistently at 150 BPM. The fact that there are occasional notes layered on the same hand makes it harder to be consistent as well. I don't have many points of comparison because there aren't many maps like this, but 5.9* seems fine for something like this? It's not easy to rate this accurately because it tests consistency like Kamui AND it requires really good jacking ability.

The Scales of Struggle [Collab Extreme] - Lots of 400 BPM stream (and occasionally jumpstream) and a polyrhythm ending that is essentially a long 400 BPM stream and jumpstream after with difficult patterning. 6.16* might seem like a high rating, but no one has come close to 99ing this map, and there aren't many people who can S this - there are certainly more people who have the potential to S AiAe than Scales of Struggle. This is 6.5*, maybe 6.6*.

We Fucking Hate You [Masochist] - I picked this map because it has relatively low max NPS, but it's constantly difficult throughout. It's 220 BPM jumpstream with 1/6 bursts littered throughout the entire map, making it insanely difficult to both time and hit. 220 BPM dense jumpstream alone (there are some areas where it has a chord on every other note) is about 5.1*+, but combined with the fact that you have to juggle jumpstream with tons of 1/6 bursts with rigid patterning as well makes it absurdly stamina-draining. Probably closer to 5.5*.

There's a ton of maps that are underrated and overrated (and definitely some others that I missed out), but I mainly picked up examples of ones that should be bumped up or down so similar ones will follow suit. I also wanted to make a couple of graphs on how hard should a ___ BPM (chord)stream should be, given that ___% of the notes are part of anchor jacks or one hand trills present in them - but I haven't really thought of numbers yet.

Essentially maps with overly high NPS is overrated. Maps with a very noticeable stamina component or extremely fast streams (or any pattern with relatively low NPS) is underrated. Patterning and consistency required isn't taken very much into consideration as well, at least not as much as it should be.

Would like to know other maps that are overrated or underrated that I missed out, it would definitely help the devs out.
Jinjin
tl;dr
Chords and chordstreams (really easy ones like alternating trills) should be weighed less than it currently is.
Specific patterns should have certain weighings
Single note streams should be weighed more at higher BPM (250+)
Polyrhythms (ex. 1/4 and 1/3 mapped at the same time - see Haryu) generally much harder and should be weighed more
One long note + regular note streams are overrated (see Koi Yomi Zakura)
Generally, o2jam like long note patterns are underrated (like Taekwonburi and Wintersun)
Jacks are underrated (Especially at high bpm, see Intersect Thunderbolt Momo's 4K Insane)
Extended lengths of trills should be rated more due to the consistency required to hit them accurately (see Kamui and Fullerenes HAELEQUIN extended ver.)

Will add more and elaborate more here later
EtienneXC

Choofers wrote:

in the case of dt/ht pp, if there's no way to get it right, or if there's no way to appease the majority, simply remove both from the equation
Pretty much this. HT PP is weighed too much imo as well. I feel like I didn't even earn this lmao http://puu.sh/hA9zW/bad3a700ee.png
Tristan97

StaiainFangirl wrote:

Choofers wrote:

Pretty much this. HT PP is weighed too much imo as well. I feel like I didn't even earn this lmao http://puu.sh/hA9zW/bad3a700ee.png
A pp map on normal speed will generally be a pp map on HT, as will it likely be with DT. Fixing SR is really the only way to prevent things like the Aiae SHD HT scores from awarding too many performance points. Otherwise people playing maps like sister's noise Lv. 42 on half time will be completely useless pp-wise, even if they manage to score well on it.
Bobbias
Yeah, the entire problem is SR calculation.
xch00F
how is SR even calculated
does it vary between modes
Bobbias
Nobody outside of Tom94 and perhaps peppy probably knows how SR is actually calculated in mania. It is different for each mode.

Mania's SR was even more broken until Tom94 started working on it a while back, so it's considerably better than it was before. The problem is mainly that certain kinds of patterns are underrated or overrated in the current formula. The effect this has is that certain hard maps will become massive PP generators (I'm looking at you Utakata) while others (particularly LN heavy maps) are worth less than they should be.

This completely skews the entire PP system to favor certain skill sets, among other issues. The issues with some maps being favored over others has been known pretty much since the first few days after the current SR calculations started being used.

Hopefully sometime in the near future Tom will make more fixes to the algorithm and smooth out the inconsistencies. But honestly, the whole system is a whole lot better than it used to be.
stryver12
I've no idea how people know HT actually give pp.
Anyways HT should give at least 15-30% pp.
Bad Apple
Meanwhile Co-Op Mode is still ranked -w-
Next Up: 50% pp for Autoplay
AiAe [Wafles SHD] (100.00%) +Auto - 389pp

Seriously though, I really dont like the way the ranking is going right now.
Really good players have lower ranks than Co-Op Boosters and at the same time,
people (myself included) get HT-pp for maps they cant even dream of passing. (Which would be fine if DT was ranked, too)
And then theres people who could DT those maps and they dont get shit for what theyre able to play.
We just get random updates and changes to what gives pp and what doesnt, but that wont fix the core problem.
Sadest thing about that; except for (a minor part) the community, noone seems to really care at all.
Well played.
Kamikaze
Wasn't co-op disabled from ranking to avoid confusion with account sharing?
ovnz
co-op isn't ranked
Bad Apple

Ovnize wrote:

co-op isn't ranked

Oh lord, didn't know that. Thought it's still ranked since everyone who used Co-Op to boost themselves still has the pp for it.
My bad there, sorry :oops:
dennischan
Is easy mod nerfed?
I kinda saw in the G&R main forum that it was nerfed in osu!mania
PyaKura
What do you mean nerfed ?
abraker
Alright as far as the individual mods go, this is my opinion. The right bracket represents the max PP achievable, while the left brackets represents an arbitrary PP. As far as comparisons go, don't compare a mod's range to another (like hardrock and doubletime), it is intended to compare to no mod only.

No mod:
SPOILER
Not much needs to be said about this, other than improving the difficulty calculation for maps.
<--------------------------------[---------------------o-------------------]---------------------------------------->

No Fail:
SPOILER
It behaves like normal, but allows players to submit maps even if they fail. Players that need to use this will have scores for that are almost most certainly below 500,000. Since the formula for PP is exponential (or so it seems), lower scores will naturally generate low PP. While it is possible to get a higher score and still fail, such map would have high HP with one spam part which raises the map's diff by a whole star or so which kills players that thought could pass it. Then that is straight away not a good map and should not be ranked in the first place. However, perhaps a slight penalty is still needed to justify the safety net by moving the PP range lower, depending on the difficulty of the map.
<------------------------[---------------------o-------------------]------------------------------------------------>

Easy:
SPOILER
In a nutshell, the easy mod decreases the OD, making much easier to get perfects and 300's, and the HP is lowered as well. Harder maps overall become much easier to spam through and recover from. I suggest limiting the range as well as moving the PP lower.
<----------------[-------------o-----------]------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Halftime:
SPOILER
This mod slows down the map by 1.5 times. The map becomes more readable and the player doesn't need to play as fast. Personally, I only see a 7%-10% increase in accuracy when using this mod. I think limiting the higher range would justify this. On the higher range, The PP would never be as high as playing normally due to the ease of getting the notes. On the lower range, if a player gets 22pp out of 240pp top players get without mods, I don't think lowering the range on halftime such that the player would get something like 18pp instead would depict the result accurately (horrible explanation, don't know how else to explain)
<--------------------------------[-----------------o---------------]------------------------------------------------>

Hardrock:
SPOILER
The hardrock mod is the direct opposite of the easy mod. So you then shift the range higher and expand it? Close. The only reason the easy mod got shifted lower is to justify spamming. That said, expanding the higher range AND lower range would justify this mod. I see it like this: If you get misses, then those would be penalized towards the lower range. If you get perfects, you would be awarded to the higher range. Since this would expand both ends, a player who gets 10 misses and 990 perfects would be penalized more using this mod than a person that would get same without mods. The reward, however, comes when not having any misses, 50's, 100's and 200's. Simply put, harsher penalty and better reward.
<----------------[-------------------------------------o-----------------------------------]------------------------>

Doubletime:
SPOILER
This mod can get hard really easy by increasing the speed by 1.5 times. The speed it which you need to get the notes increases, making some patterns harder to get. The overall difficulty of the map gets harder. Therefore a suggest having the PP range shifted higher.
<------------------------------------------------[---------------------o-------------------]------------------------->

The rest of the mods do little to modify difficulty.
xch00F
lol'd
mods should disable pp, regardless of what mod is used
PyaKura
I wouldn't mind DT giving pp. Other than that, it's a no-no for me.
EtienneXC

Choofers wrote:

lol'd
mods should disable pp, regardless of what mod is used
idk, I think DT would be reasonable at least. o!m's PP system is too acc/7k biased imo
abraker
I guess you guys are all for mods that raise difficulty having PP. I understand that there is little to know point on lowering the easy mod's PP, for instance, because odds are the player will wind up with PP that gets weighted to nothing. In my view, however, those mods should be ranked and by doing so penalties/awards should be given accordingly. It just has been unfortunate that however the PP for the HT mod calculated because it's worth quite something under the right circumstances. From what I found, it is worth about 50% the original PP. I have included a comparison of similar accuracy achieved on AiAe:

Jinjin

abraker wrote:

I guess you guys are all for mods that raise difficulty having PP. I understand that there is little to know point on lowering the easy mod's PP, for instance, because odds are the player will wind up with PP that gets weighted to nothing. In my view, however, those mods should be ranked and by doing so penalties/awards should be given accordingly. It just has been unfortunate that however the PP for the HT mod calculated because it's worth quite something under the right circumstances. From what I found, it is worth about 50% the original PP. I have included a comparison of similar accuracy achieved on AiAe:

HT pp is just calculated by the new star rating after HT is set. Which is why aiae ht gives a lot of pp since it's still around 5.5*.
abraker
Then I guess that's a weird coincidence. I can't find many HT records to compare to, so I could only assume it's around 50%
Elementaires
HT, NF, and EZ should disable pp
Redon
mania just needs to have a better star rating system, and the rest will fix itself automatically
Cozzzy
I've just noticed loads of players are doing AiAe+HT, for almost 400pp. LOL
Elementaires

Redon wrote:

mania just needs to have a better star rating system, and the rest will fix itself automatically
i wish LN maps can have a higher star rating..

maybe mappers can set their own star rating about this

maybe
Redon

Cozzzy wrote:

I've just noticed loads of players are doing AiAe+HT, for almost 400pp. LOL
That's because AiAe SHD's star rating is overrated, not because HT is inherently overrated.

The SHD, among many other maps, is overrated because easy-to-play but high NPS patterns like this and this are overrated, as all the mania star rating algorithm really seems to take into account is peak note density. If you removed only half the notes on the few spots where these patterns pop up, and left the difficult quadstreams and all in place (which I did to save you the trouble), the diff's rating drops from 6.77 to 5.56 stars. According to Shoegazer, a lot more experienced 4K player than I am, it should realistically be rated around 6 stars. Needless to say, as a 6 star map, AiAe SHD on HT wouldn't be worth nearly as much pp as it is now.

All that is true for the no-mod version of it too, by the way. As I said, all we need is a proper star rating system, and the rest would mostly solve itself. If I was to map a 75% speed version of AiAe, made it the same as SHD on HT, and got it ranked, it would be just as much of a pp farm with the current SR algorithm.
Kamikaze

Elementaires wrote:

maybe mappers can set their own star rating about this

maybe
nah, that would ruin it imo
tho supervising over sr and adjusting it manually is the only way to introduce SV rating in there. something like +0,5* added to algorithm value when SV is ultra-hard (smooooch example)
stryver12
From what I see, what determines how much (many?) pp you gain is basically accuracy.
If you score lower than previous but have higher accuracy, no pp. Vice versa = lower pp.

I just wish they use persistent scoring, like ones of IIDX where 300g = 2 points, 300 = 1 point, just to make score-to-accuracy look "linear".

Well... it's hard to explain... but I think you get it.
show more