Sub
89.08%
Dub
10.92%
Total votes: 229
show more
Mikichiyo

therealhashtag wrote:

I prefer Sub. If I watch Dub and after that Sub I always think about how bad it is.

Sometimes Dub can also be very good, but I still prefer the ''original''
Justykanna

heyitskry wrote:

The only acceptable dub is Cowboy Bebop
So what other dubs have you watched and why were they horrible?
Examples, people!
Gumpy

-Nya- wrote:

Yeah, I think the main reason why some people prefer dub is because they don't want to read the subs or don't have the ability to read really fast.
But I can easilly read fast enough to enjoy both. Some shows are just better dubbed which I have listed before.
Green Platinum

Gumpyyy wrote:

-Nya- wrote:

Yeah, I think the main reason why some people prefer dub is because they don't want to read the subs or don't have the ability to read really fast.
But I can easilly read fast enough to enjoy both. Some shows are just better dubbed which I have listed before.
The shows with the fasted talking also never get dubbed
Zuikaku
Sub all the way.
The voice acting just suits way better imo. When I hear dub it sounds so exaggerated and full of sarcasm :|
Green Platinum

Poisonmellon wrote:

Sub all the way.
The voice acting just suits way better imo. When I hear dub it sounds so exaggerated and full of sarcasm :|
Subs are much more exaggerated. lol
Szymek
I am not a dub fan. I just find it odd sometimes.
Tetsumine
Sub FTW!! I prefer subbed so I could learn Japanese /kid
brunn08
In my opinion sub is much better than dub :P
EneT
I prefer sub but I think ppl trash on dub way too much, there are several good dubs out there if you actually took the time to review them. I take the time to review the dubbed versions of anime's that I like to some degree and I think you ppl should too, you'd be surprised to know that Toradora! actually has really good dub and I watched Gurren Lagann and Code Geass dubbed my first time watching them. Mainly because of Johnny Yong Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal and wanting to hear Steven Blum voice act a gay character.

[Edit]For an anime like Gurren Lagann especially, with all the shit that comes out of their mouth, it makes it even more memorable when heard in a language that is native to you
-ryusakihatsue-

Poisonmellon wrote:

Sub all the way.
yes dub makes me feel like that sometimes too, like sometimes the VA didn't bother listening to how the tone's like in the original version

i'm fine with dub but if you watch an episode of sub then the dub, the dub sounds pretty bad

IMO, most people watch dub because it's more convenient? from what i've heard from a few friends, they cant read subs and watch at the same time... but ofc i guess there are definitely people out there who like watching dubs just because... well they like dubs

i prefer subs bc it sounds more natural and the quality is nicer, ofc the japanese too hahaha (and i prefer reading bc it's harder to miss out stuff as compared to when i have to listen)
Green Platinum

-ryusakihatsue- wrote:

yes dub makes me feel like that sometimes too, like sometimes the VA didn't bother listening to how the tone's like in the original version

i'm fine with dub but if you watch an episode of sub then the dub, the dub sounds pretty bad

IMO, most people watch dub because it's more convenient? from what i've heard from a few friends, they cant read subs and watch at the same time... but ofc i guess there are definitely people out there who like watching dubs just because... well they like dubs

i prefer subs bc it sounds more natural and the quality is nicer, ofc the japanese too hahaha (and i prefer reading bc it's harder to miss out stuff as compared to when i have to listen)
What this doesn't make any sense.

-Japanese has far more exaggerated screaming in reaction to the most menial things. Provide some examples of where the dub is exaggerated but the sub is collected.

-The opposite is true have you heard the absolute garbage that is the Black Lagoon sub, hell in Code Geass they can't even say the protagonists name correctly.

-How are dubs more convenient? If the series is dubbed it comes with multi audio and subbed can be easily pirated. The only stuff that are difficult to find subbed no one watches anyway like Crush Gear Turbo or Hamtaro.

-The only reason you find Japanese audio more natural is probably because you have no comparison. The Japanese I have heard in life hardly resembles anime but also I can pick up on the nuances in English that very likely I miss in Japanese. just because I am ignorant of them in Japanese doesn't make it more natural. Also you are going to miss much more in a sub because you spend all that time reading the damn subtitles.

You may have had a case over 10 years ago but stop pretending you know anything about what you actively avoid.
[Superstar]_old
I simply like japanese voices more than english/german ones. That is why I rarely watch dubs. Whenever I get my hands on some dual audio release I always check out the English language, but also always end up just switching back to japanese.

Dubs I actually liked are the English dubs of Psycho-Pass and Angel Beats! And the German dub of Death Note. So it is not like I am completely against it, just a preference thing.
-ryusakihatsue-

Green Platinum wrote:

-ryusakihatsue- wrote:

What this doesn't make any sense.

-Japanese has far more exaggerated screaming in reaction to the most menial things. Provide some examples of where the dub is exaggerated but the sub is collected.

-The opposite is true have you heard the absolute garbage that is the Black Lagoon sub, hell in Code Geass they can't even say the protagonists name correctly.

-How are dubs more convenient? If the series is dubbed it comes with multi audio and subbed can be easily pirated. The only stuff that are difficult to find subbed no one watches anyway like Crush Gear Turbo or Hamtaro.

-The only reason you find Japanese audio more natural is probably because you have no comparison. The Japanese I have heard in life hardly resembles anime but also I can pick up on the nuances in English that very likely I miss in Japanese. just because I am ignorant of them in Japanese doesn't make it more natural. Also you are going to miss much more in a sub because you spend all that time reading the damn subtitles.

You may have had a case over 10 years ago but stop pretending you know anything about what you actively avoid.
hmm...
Green Platinum

[Superstar] wrote:

I simply like japanese voices more than english/german ones. That is why I rarely watch dubs. Whenever I get my hands on some dual audio release I always check out the English language, but also always end up just switching back to japanese.

Dubs I actually liked are the English dubs of Psycho-Pass and Angel Beats! And the German dub of Death Note. So it is not like I am completely against it, just a preference thing.
I hold the same view each can be good in its own way I just don't like the people who suggest that sub is always the superior option and the go to choice for 'true' anime fans. I've also met several people who defend subs as if it somehow justifies piracy and not spending a penny when an official release of a series they love is made available in their region.
The Gambler
Ghost Stories english dub anyone? I mean Funi is legendary here ;)

Sub... An entire voice cast of Vic Mignona hasn't been made yet, I think
Green Platinum

dagambler999 wrote:

Ghost Stories english dub anyone? I mean Funi is legendary here ;)

Sub... An entire voice cast of Vic Mignona hasn't been made yet, I think
A really special case.
The Gambler

Green Platinum wrote:

A really special case.
Basically a genre change instead of faithful dubbing, amirite?
Szymek
Sub deffinatly :D
LukaXGAMErs
Sub, like the originality of an anime, dub.. uhh I watched some, but I only remember are: Pokemon, Blue Dragon, and Cardfight! Vanguard.
Critical Dude
Ayyy this youtube debate again @_@

I'm tired so I'll shorten this:

1) I believe that in order to properly judge subbed anime, you must understand the language. By understanding the language you are able to understand the tones and expressions more clearly, hence you can then say if that person's voice acting is good or bad.
Despite this belief what I'll say next will contradict this as I sometimes feel as though the Japanese voices fit the characters better in certain anime. I have no problem reading the subs and watching at the same time.

2) When you have stuck to sub for a long time, dubbed anime will sound bizarre as if the voice actors are not in sync (with the animation) or have other problems.

Personally I prefer subbed because very few anime sound good when dubbed.
B1rd
Subs are better. There is a better voice acting industry in Japan; dubs are often quite awful and cringe worthy, with a couple exceptions. And on top of that, they're more accurate in conveying the meaning of what the characters are saying, because with dubs they're limited by having to translate the English to fit the speaking animation which was meant for the Japanese.
Green Platinum

Critical Dude wrote:

1) I believe that in order to properly judge subbed anime, you must understand the language. By understanding the language you are able to understand the tones and expressions more clearly, hence you can then say if that person's voice acting is good or bad.
Despite this belief what I'll say next will contradict this as I sometimes feel as though the Japanese voices fit the characters better in certain anime. I have no problem reading the subs and watching at the same time.

2) When you have stuck to sub for a long time, dubbed anime will sound bizarre as if the voice actors are not in sync (with the animation) or have other problems.

I've only seen a small amount of anime (about 940) and I don't have this problem. Some are bad some are good. Do I need to see more? Coincidentally no one mentions examples of these amazing Japanese voices (So many sound like adolescents on helium to me) whilst ignoring the horrible japanese voicing of Black Lagoon and Code Geass etc.

B1rd wrote:

Subs are better. There is a better voice acting industry in Japan; dubs are often quite awful and cringe worthy, with a couple exceptions. And on top of that, they're more accurate in conveying the meaning of what the characters are saying, because with dubs they're limited by having to translate the English to fit the speaking animation which was meant for the Japanese.
What's this shit about conveying the meaning better? You are still trusting the meaning to either a fansub group or company hired to translate the show unless you watch raw.
Justykanna

Critical Dude wrote:

Not really disagreeing with you, but to your first point, dubbed anime still have tones and expressions too (obviously). You can use that thought for both dubbed or subbed anime. And when you say "understand the language", what particularly do you mean? The tones / expressions as stated earlier, or the literal translations, how people talk, etc etc?

I'm actually just curious, but what do you mean by "other problems", for your second point.
Critical Dude

Justykanna wrote:

Not really disagreeing with you, but to your first point, dubbed anime still have tones and expressions too (obviously). You can use that thought for both dubbed or subbed anime. And when you say "understand the language", what particularly do you mean? The tones / expressions as stated earlier, or the literal translations, how people talk, etc etc?
Ah! Thanks for bringing that up because I should of made myself clearer. To answer it short I meant both tones and translations (how people talk).

Dubbed anime do have tones and expressions, but are they as good as when you are listening to the original voice actors' take on the same anime?
In order to know how good a voice actor is you have to understand what they are saying and how they use their tone (or emotion) to express what they're saying. If you are unfamiliar with another language then even with subtitles you will struggle to understand some tones. Most tones like anger, frustration, sadness, being excited and more can be easily be seen through other languages (especially when watching anime). However when trying to understand more advanced things in another language, like sarcasm, it can become a bit difficult without the help of the character's facial and bodily expressions or without the correct use of punctuation in a sentence.
Hence why it is better to just learn the Japanese language so you can truly understand how it is better.

Justykanna wrote:

I'm actually just curious, but what do you mean by "other problems", for your second point.
Not sure how I could make myself more clear about that but what I meant by other problems are things based on personal views. For example not liking a ones voice acting (regardless of whether it is really good or bad) because you dislike the voice actor for personal reasons.
When I said "other" I meant anything that you or anyone else would think of as a problem when listening to dubbed.
Green Platinum
I don't think just learning the language will help you there. You'd need to actively communicate with experienced speakers to pick up all the nuances of any language
Critical Dude

Green Platinum wrote:

I don't think just learning the language will help you there. You'd need to actively communicate with experienced speakers to pick up all the nuances of any language
That is true, I remember struggling a lot to learn French because I never really tried talking to others that would speak French fluently. Hence I could not properly converse with French people or translate what they were saying.
Justykanna

Critical Dude wrote:

Justykanna wrote:

Ah! Thanks for bringing that up because I should of made myself clearer. To answer it short I meant both tones and translations (how people talk).

Dubbed anime do have tones and expressions, but are they as good as when you are listening to the original voice actors' take on the same anime?
In order to know how good a voice actor is you have to understand what they are saying and how they use their tone (or emotion) to express what they're saying. If you are unfamiliar with another language then even with subtitles you will struggle to understand some tones. Most tones like anger, frustration, sadness, being excited and more can be easily be seen through other languages (especially when watching anime). However when trying to understand more advanced things in another language, like sarcasm, it can become a bit difficult without the help of the character's facial and bodily expressions or without the correct use of punctuation in a sentence.
Hence why it is better to just learn the Japanese language so you can truly understand how it is better.

Justykanna wrote:

Not sure how I could make myself more clear about that but what I meant by other problems are things based on personal views. For example not liking a ones voice acting (regardless of whether it is really good or bad) because you dislike the voice actor for personal reasons.
When I said "other" I meant anything that you or anyone else would think of as a problem when listening to dubbed.
Thanks for clarifying. =)
-Nya-
Lol! The battle is still going on powerfully. No one's backing down. Hehe, I guess I just want to let you guys know I'm talking specifically to Green Platinum, since he really don't like japanese that much that anime is mainly japanese and nothing will change that. (I know there are some cartoons that are considered anime and is english, but imo they can't be classified as anime at all.)

Sure, sometimes the characters overreact a bit and sure, the girls' voices are sometimes very squeaky and thin (that's how the japanese women sound after all since they physically age slower) but if you look at the acting as a whole it's pretty good. (Much, much better than english vocals imo) Japanese acting just has that spark that english acting lacks sometimes.(I'm not talking about real-people-movies like Avengers, Maleficient, etc. They are awesome! I'm talking about anime english acting here) And still, when I think about anime, I think: Anime=Japanese, so it's a bit weird for me to hear english voices with anime characters.

And I also want to know what you guys think about the dubbed Naruto anime, cuz I literally laughed when I saw and heard it on TV. (The girls sounded like boys if I have to be completely honest, and sometimes vice versa.)
Justykanna

-Nya- wrote:

Lol! The battle is still going on powerfully. No one's backing down. Hehe, I guess I just want to let you guys know I'm talking specifically to Green Platinum, since he really don't like japanese that much that anime is mainly japanese and nothing will change that. (I know there are some cartoons that are considered anime and is english, but imo they can't be classified as anime at all.)

Sure, sometimes the characters overreact a bit and sure, the girls' voices are sometimes very squeaky and thin (that's how the japanese women sound after all since they physically age slower) but if you look at the acting as a whole it's pretty good. (Much, much better than english vocals imo) Japanese acting just has that spark that english acting lacks sometimes.(I'm not talking about real-people-movies like Avengers, Maleficient, etc. They are awesome! I'm talking about anime english acting here) And still, when I think about anime, I think: Anime=Japanese, so it's a bit weird for me to hear english voices with anime characters.

And I also want to know what you guys think about the dubbed Naruto anime, cuz I literally laughed when I saw and heard it on TV. (The girls sounded like boys if I have to be completely honest, and sometimes vice versa.)
Yeah I love reading this thread, just because I'm curious as to what people say and I'm part of the minority that prefers dub.

When did Green Platinum say they didn't like Japanese? It's on the first page - "both are horrible in their own way, both are good in their own way". Don't start a fight in the forums please.

Comparing live-action movies like The Avengers to anime voice acting's kinda pointing at one direct end and another. Anime voice acting will never be at that level so if you're expecting that in anime... I dunno what you want. In the same regard, are Japanese voice actors as talented as those actors from the live-action movies? (No, really, I'm asking. I don't pay enough attention to Japanese voice actors to have an opinion on it). That being said, there are still English voice actors who are great at voicing those young girl's / guy's voices. Laura's Bailey's one of my favourites (Maka in Soul Eater, then she's younger females in a handful of video games like Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World and Fire Emblem Awakening) and Mona Marshall's fantastic too (Terriermon and Izzy in Digimon Adventures 1 and 2).

Being weirded out because you think Anime = must be Japanese is sort of a mind set thing. I know someone mentioned a while ago for anime that takes place in non-Japan locations for non-Japanese people, speaking Japanese. Same idea if you ask me.

As for the Naruto English dub, I've been a long fan of English dubs but Naruto's was just bad. There are some good actors in there. One really good one was Brian Donovan's work with Rock Lee. I feel like he really did nail it pretty close to the Naruto's sub actor. But in general, I didn't like them. I like Liam O'Brien (Gaara) and Crispin Freeman (Itachi), but even they I feel didn't do a fantastic job.
-Nya-
Lol! Start a fight? :P Not my intention. Never is. Green Platinum might not have said it but he had said enough to make it sound like that. And it doesn't really matter tbh.

And if you type in "Anime" in Google, you'll see that all the sites see it as a Japanese thing, which it still is. (That's why it's called "anime" and not "animation"/ "cartoon") I just think some of the japanese actors also speak english just to accomodate the english-speaking people (western people) but it still remains something that started in Japan. Am I totally wrong here? Cuz then I'm very confused. o_o
Justykanna

-Nya- wrote:

And if you type in "Anime" in Google, you'll see that all the sites see it as a Japanese thing, which it still is. (That's why it's called "anime" and not "animation"/ "cartoon") I just think some of the japanese actors also speak english just to accomodate the english-speaking people (western people) but it still remains something that started in Japan. Am I totally wrong here? Cuz then I'm very confused. o_o
Hmmmm... I guess I misworded what I said. xD
No doubt, Anime IS Japanese. But you were saying it's weird seeing Japanese (anime) being spoken in English is weird, right? Something can still come from another country and still work in North America (or where the dub is being referred to) and still be perfectly fine. Video games, same idea. Games like Tales of Vesperia was originally from Japan (if I'm not mistaken) but I thought the English dub actors were fantastic (woot, Troy Baker). Same idea, no?

You aren't wrong, no. And I never said you were (I'll never say ANYONE is wrong for liking sub or dub).
Critical Dude

Justykanna wrote:

Games like Tales of Vesperia was originally from Japan (if I'm not mistaken) but I thought the English dub actors were fantastic (woot, Troy Baker). Same idea, no?
I've always believed that the Tales of series had good English dubs, in fact I doubt that I'm the only one.
Green Platinum
Justykanna pretty much made all the points I'd make. Sub vs. Dub is a case by case scenario saying one is superior is just dishonest.
B1rd

Green Platinum wrote:

B1rd wrote:

What's this shit about conveying the meaning better? You are still trusting the meaning to either a fansub group or company hired to translate the show unless you watch raw.
Did you read what I said? The reason is with dubs they're constricted by having to have the English translation occupy the same amount of time as the Japanese speaking, to fit the characters' animations. With text they can use as many words as they want.

Green Platinum wrote:

You don't even need to know the language, you can pick up the meaning through the voice tones.

Green Platinum wrote:

Justykanna pretty much made all the points I'd make. Sub vs. Dub is a case by case scenario saying one is superior is just dishonest.
Subs are superior, because they're better most of the time. Japanese voice actors are just generally better, as I've pointed out. Stop being such a dub fanboy.
blissfulyoshi

Critical Dude wrote:

Justykanna wrote:

Games like Tales of Vesperia was originally from Japan (if I'm not mistaken) but I thought the English dub actors were fantastic (woot, Troy Baker). Same idea, no?
I've always believed that the Tales of series had good English dubs, in fact I doubt that I'm the only one.
You probably need to play more Tales of games then. While I never played ToV, ToE's American dub is pretty awful imo. The person who played Teepo in ToX annoyed me to no end, and then there is ToG.... I will admit I loved ToS's dubbing (going to credit Nintendo of America here), and from the trailer ToZ's dubbing seems decent besides Alisha (becuase she is going to be gone soon anyway). In short, it really took Namco Bandai a long while to get dubbing right. ToZ might have worked well for them, but it took them a long time to get that far, and a few more games to repeat that success.
Green Platinum

B1rd wrote:

Did you read what I said? The reason is with dubs they're constricted by having to have the English translation occupy the same amount of time as the Japanese speaking, to fit the characters' animations. With text they can use as many words as they want.
Subs have limits they abide by too. Only display text while X-person is talking and keep the length to usually 1 line. I can't even think of any dubs where the length they talk has even been an issue to my comprehension of the series.

B1rd wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

You don't even need to know the language, you can pick up the meaning through the voice tones.
There's more to communication than just words and tone. You are going to understand better how word usage and sentence structure changes listening to your native language rather than reading an amateur translation of it.

B1rd wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Subs are superior, because they're better most of the time. Japanese voice actors are just generally better, as I've pointed out. Stop being such a dub fanboy.
Get off your high horse you are clearly the fanboy. I take neither side and am only defending dubs because of elitists like you who seem to believe watching anime in japanese makes you a better fan or something. There are still no examples where I can honestly say the japanese version was a phenomenally done despite the language barrier and the reasons stated that appear to fall on deaf ears.
Critical Dude

B1rd wrote:

This is dub's biggest set back, I believe that instead dubbing an anime, you're better off reanimating it so that it would match the speed of the English voice actors lines.
However this might be a total pain to do.

B1rd wrote:

Going to have to disagree with you there, it is not always possible to "pick up the meaning through the voice tones".
If you are unfamiliar with the language then you may not understand when the person is using (for example) sarcasm unless you read the exaggerated text shown in the subtitles or by observing the person's facial expression and body language.
Justykanna

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Critical Dude wrote:

You probably need to play more Tales of games then. While I never played ToV, ToE's American dub is pretty awful imo. The person who played Teepo in ToX annoyed me to no end, and then there is ToG.... I will admit I loved ToS's dubbing (going to credit Nintendo of America here), and from the trailer ToZ's dubbing seems decent besides Alisha (becuase she is going to be gone soon anyway). In short, it really took Namco Bandai a long while to get dubbing right. ToZ might have worked well for them, but it took them a long time to get that far, and a few more games to repeat that success.
I've never played the early ones but most Tales games have been to my liking for the most part.
Now let's see if I can remember all the Tales games using the acronyms that you listed, blissfulyoshi. xD

(Side note) Vesperia's got by far the most talented voice cast and even minus that, I believe it's the best Tales game so I'd give it a try if you like the Tales games. =)
Eternia: Never played.
Xillia: Teepo will annoy some people, no doubt. My brother, sister in law, sister, girlfriend and I all like him though so it'll vary from person to person. I know my sister wasn't a huge fan of Milla because of her lisp.
Graces f: When I first started this game, I will admit I didn't like any of the playable character's voice actors at all except for Malik (Jamieson Price ftw). At the time, there were a lot of unfamiliar voices there and honestly, Asbel's actor in particular just had some many details that I didn't like at all. The others grew on me over time but that was well into the game. Even Laura Bailey (who I love), wasn't fantastic here.
Symphonia: Loved them. Wish they kept Lloyd's voice actor for the sequel though. My sister's a HUGE Cam Clark fan (Kratos). The sequel's voice work was equally amazing to me - even though I know a lot of people won't like Emil or Marta's voices.
Zesteria: I'm awaiting the arrival of that game. Didn't know there were trailers for it yet.
Abyss: Even though I hate Yuri Lowenthal, I believe he did a really good job with Luke here. Rest of the dub work was done pretty well. No complaints. Assuming they kept everything the same for the 3DS version as I never played it when it was on PS2.

I guess all in all, I'm pretty happy with all the Tales games' dubbing except maybe Graces f. So I agree with Critical Dude!... almost. ;)

Critical Dude wrote:

B1rd wrote:

This is dub's biggest set back, I believe that instead dubbing an anime, you're better off reanimating it so that it would match the speed of the English voice actors lines.
However this might be a total pain to do.

B1rd wrote:

Going to have to disagree with you there, it is not always possible to "pick up the meaning through the voice tones".
If you are unfamiliar with the language then you may not understand when the person is using (for example) sarcasm unless you read the exaggerated text shown in the subtitles or by observing the person's facial expression and body language.
In an ideal world, yeah, animating the speed to match the English voice actor's lines would be fantastic but I'm kinda with you in that it might be a total pain.

I'll have to disagree with you here too. There's always room to miss meanings through voice tones. Same point here as Critical Dude stated.

Green Platinum wrote:

Get off your high horse you are clearly the fanboy. I take neither side and am only defending dubs because of elitists like you who seem to believe watching anime in japanese makes you a better fan or something. There are still no examples where I can honestly say the japanese version was a phenomenally done despite the language barrier and the reasons stated that appear to fall on deaf ears.
This really bugs me too. I started a dub vs sub thread ages ago because I had a school-mate who said "dubs are ALWAYS bad and that it's common knowledge" and I wanted to know other people's thoughts. She was another one of those people who thought dubs were awful all the time too.
B1rd

Critical Dude wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I'm saying that you can understand what they mean with the combination of voice tone, subtitles, and body language.
You understand the same by listening to their voice tone and reading English subtitles compared to hearing them speak in English.

I'd also like to point out that subs are a lot better at dealing with things like suffixes. They just don't translate into english dubs well at all, but with subs you can always pick them out.
show more