forum

How to use Hit error meter and Local offset

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vuelo Eluko

Agrrox wrote:

Does anyone knows when to + or - when i have bad accuracy after play ?
fixed
and never, unless you have obvious input lag.
Purple

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Agrrox wrote:

Does anyone knows when to + or - when i have bad accuracy after play ?
fixed
and never, unless you have obvious input lag.
p/3225699

Can't just say you have bad accuracy / don't care about it and then pretend you can help people with it

Well I guess YOU can, being the king of shitposting and all

Agrrox wrote:

Does anyone knows when to + or - when i have bad offset after play ?
If most of your hits land on the left side then you use a negative offset. If most land on the right side then either you should use positive offset or you're hitting too slow... I think. Someone please confirm.
Vuelo Eluko

Purple wrote:

p/3225699

Can't just say you have bad accuracy / don't care about it and then pretend you can help people with it

Well I guess YOU can, being the king of shitposting and all
im sorry you're right, changing your offset is the key to getting better accuracy. why didnt i see it? im actually lewa if i had the right offset. please leave your posts are awful. how am i not qualified to give people advice on accuracy just because i don't bother to train it myself even when it's quite obvious offset is completely unrelated to unstable rate.

Maybe I misinterpreted the threads content but bad offset after play just sounds like he needs to practice and not fiddle with offset.
Topic Starter
AGRX
a guy with similar rank saying this haha.

I think this is essential in rhythm games to adjust offset when you aim for really high accuracy, and still i havent found any tutorial how to use local offset and hit error in osu.
For example when you play some old maps where you can sometimes find weird offset.
For example: -21.97ms +11.78ms isnt good. But when i play other maps i have almost same ratio of early and late
Noobsicle
it's only essential if the map is poorly timed

i've never considered changing offset cause i don't see the reason to
Vuelo Eluko

Agrrox wrote:

I think this is essential in rhythm games to adjust offset when you aim for really high accuracy
its not.
i dont have to be higher rank than you to know offset isnt going to change your unstable rate to be lower or increase your accuracy.

you dont really think your hit error is going to be identical every map with perfect offset, do you? if you have a hard time aiming the map then your cursor wont land on each note on time and you'll probably hit later in general, if its a reading problem you might be hitting too early, etc.

look it doesnt matter if your errors were later or earlier its a more worthwhile thing to look at how off timing your correct hits were. if every 300 you got was early/late then sure enough, change the offset. because then it might really be input lag. otherwise, dont touch it.
iaceo

Purple wrote:

Agrrox wrote:

Does anyone knows when to + or - when i have bad offset after play ?
If most of your hits land on the left side then you use a negative offset. If most land on the right side then either you should use positive offset or you're hitting too slow... I think. Someone please confirm.
Confirmed, left is early right is late for the hit error bar.
Basically i tweak the offset if
1. the song simply feels off with it's offset. It happens.. Everyone likes to hit stuff differently in relation to the music, and the hitsounds play in as well..
2. If the OD is high or if im trying to shave off the last few 100s from a song
3. Somwtimes i know ill be playing a song for quite a while, then i might try to even out the error with some -1/-2 and a few mental notes on which parts to stay calm on to avoid the negative error growing..

In general, mouse-over the graph after playing a song and just keep track of whats going on, the hit-meter is more useful for sections
Nothing is lost by looking at how your playing.

In regards to what bassist vinyl wrote.. No its not going to affect your unstable rate.. However by centering out the origin of your mistakes will increase your accuracy. Lets say im not centered and play at a -5 error.. -18/+18 are what i need for em 300s in this scenario~ so i can either go 13ms early or 23ms late.. I dont really want a big buffer on one side when i play... Sure i might do one hit 22ms late but in the meantime ive done 3x100s at -14.. Deviating from the central point feels safer and ive yet to find a hit graph that looked so structured that the player would benefit from skewing his error (ok ill admitt i havnt looked too much into this, since it would take some effort to run a proper analysis on someones missing habits (yes a 100 is a miss))

One final note though, dont go overzealous on the offset changes, its quite easy to feel stressed playing a song and react to the circles appearing. If youre just reacting to the circles the error wont improve even if you do change the offset so much that everything starts to feel off.
When this happens to me (lets say ive reached -7offset, some new parts have started to feel iffy and i still never managed to eaven out the error) just go back to 0 offset and calm the fuck down ;0

Cant believe i wrote all this on my damn phone v__v;
Oinari-sama
Look at your hit error "grouping" during breaks/replay.

If the errors are grouped closely but off centre, then adjust the offset accordingly.

If your errors are all over the place then... well... offset isn't gonna help.
Ohrami
If your bad accuracy is due to human error, changing your offset will just cause more problems than it will solve. If the hitsounds don't match up with the music (that is, the map is timed incorrectly), then it is a good time to change offset.

I can SS OD 10 maps with 0 offset, so is my opinion valuable enough?
iaceo
Sure but is it more likely to happen at -7/+3 or at -5/+5
Saying songs are SS able at OD10 without offset changes..
Id say your good at adapting then cause im pretty certain there are differences depending on who timed the songs and how the actual beat of it sounds

I prefer to do a bit of both as i said
But im not an OD10 player myself, i create some custom OD10 diffs from songs i like from time to time but thats about it.
I still dont think there is anything wrong with trying out local offsets on a map, you can always return to 0 at any time
Ohrami
The timing of modern maps is rarely anything but perfect. If you change the offset, you'll be doing yourself a disservice by making there be a delay between the hitsounds and the music.
NixXSkate
WubWoofWolf never touches local offset despite the sort of maps he plays.
thelewa sometimes changes the offset slightly, but this is because lewa is so stable in his hits that it's obvious when the map's timing is off a tad from how he's perceiving it.
There shouldn't be a problem with changing your offset between -10 to 10 usually, but keep in mind that you shouldn't do it if YOU are the problem rather than the map. Many people with unpracticed timing tend to hit early, and setting the offset to -10 is NOT the answer, nor is setting it to +10 if the AR is too high for you. Unless you're at a decently high accuracy level, I wouldn't touch local offset unless you're playing an obviously off-timed 2007/2008 map. If you have some lag of any sort or an old PC, maybe change your universal offset.
buny
If you keep getting a hit error that is larger in the negatives than positives, then just add the difference and divide by 2 and that's how much offset you should change, and vice versa.

Usually +0 offset is fine.
Illkryn
I didn't know you could change offset until like rank 1k.

I still don't change offsets.
Ichi
You should just set your offset with peppy´s map, and leave it like that, then you just have to adjust it yourself, your accuraccy has nothing to do with it, if your having bad accuraccy listen to the song. I wouldn´t add another problem to the list you have enough with having to train every aspect of the game, now i also have to check if the offset is 5+ or less or idk then ima be blaming my accuraccy on offset all the time.. I agree with Bassist and i don´t really get why the hate on him when he just gave his opinion.

If you feel like you have different accuracy on diferent maps maybe you should check the OD and play more.
Dexus
I think this relates to why people can't seem to play this game by ear; they don't have a correct UO and then they disregard the music and play by ar and adjust the LO based on what they're feeling is correct; Doing this for every map is exhausting when it's really unnecessary when you have a correct UO and you just time the hits correcty. Let's just say you have an unstable rate of -12/+12, the UO you have is -7ms wrong and then the mapper has it wrong by -10ms; those compound (-29ms at most, -5ms at least) and you're going to be borderlining the 300/100 constantly (On OD10 at least which has a -18/+18 window, oh wow look this is why people say HR is hard). Some players hit correctly but then see that the game is judging them as wrong so they focus on the fact that they're wrong and change their timing. One thing leads to another and then they pretty much give up on listening to the music and focus on the AR and hitsounds; thus reaction based players are born.

Simply put: fix your UO if it's incorrect and then just play more by ear for a longer.
nrl

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

i dont have to be higher rank than you to know offset isnt going to change your unstable rate to be lower or increase your accuracy.
Completely correct. If you were a higher rank you'd know the opposite.
Ichi

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

rank means shit.
buny
well technically it is true that offset shouldnt change your unstable rate, but you may or may not be more accurate
Amianki
When you're playing a high OD map and can get unstable rates around 90-110, changing offset by 1 or 2 can be a massive deal.
timemon
I adjust my speed rather than the local offset.
If I press too fast, I slow down.
the difficulty also affects accuracy. (you have to move faster and press faster = harder to get good acc)

said someone with a horrible acc XD
buny

CalignoBot wrote:

When you're playing a high OD map and can get unstable rates around 90-110, changing offset by 1 or 2 can be a massive deal.
I get around 90-110 most of the time with hr and changing by 1 or 2 isn't a massive deal for me.
it gets slightly noticeable for me at +/- 4ms
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

:| you embarrass yourself
Sophia
Never.
Stop worrying about technical stuff and enjoy the game.
shuai8297

Riince wrote:

Agrrox wrote:

im sorry you're right, changing your offset is the key to getting better accuracy. why didnt i see it? im actually lewa if i had the right offset. please leave your posts are awful. how am i not qualified to give people advice on accuracy just because i don't bother to train it myself even when it's quite obvious offset is completely unrelated to unstable rate.
Setting a proper offset have the potential to increase accuracy (in most cases it's compensated for unconsciously).
Getting better will "only" increase precision.
nrl

Ichi wrote:

rank means shit.
Hey guess what? It was a joke. But since you brought it up, I don't think it's out of line to say that a substantially higher rank generally indicates a stronger player.

As for the quote itself, offset will absolutely affect your accuracy. It'll also affect your unstable rate in practice. Why? Because while decent players can correct for 10-15ms offsets on the fly, it takes additional effort to do so, and that additional effort can very easily be the difference between one 100 and seven over the course of a map at high ODs. It's not terribly significant for most players, but a bad offset facilitates inconsistency.
enap
tbh by changing offset a little i managed to get much better scores and now im gonna explain why!

using a mechanical keyboard with lets say MX blue switches it requires a certain amount of force to press down the button, which then means that pressing down the button to registration point takes a X amount of milliseconds so correcting the universal/local offset so that the time your button hits the registration point you hit it perfectly in sync with the song.

two examples of good % songs i managed to get first 1-2hours after correcting this.

CLIFF EDGE feat. Nakamura Maiko - Endless Tears [Insane] (99.81%)
yanaginagi - Yukitoki (TV Size) [Insane] (98.74%

and by comparing this to my overall accuracy "Hit Accuracy: 94.77%" it shows a definite improvement.
Moeri_old_1

Riince wrote:

Agrrox wrote:

I think this is essential in rhythm games to adjust offset when you aim for really high accuracy
its not.

you dont really think your hit error is going to be identical every map with perfect offset, do you? if you have a hard time aiming the map then your cursor wont land on each note on time and you'll probably hit later in general, if its a reading problem you might be hitting too early, etc.

look it doesnt matter if your errors were later or earlier its a more worthwhile thing to look at how off timing your correct hits were. if every 300 you got was early/late then sure enough, change the offset. because then it might really be input lag. otherwise, dont touch it.
Riince you're not even that good, not to mention your accuracy. So please just stop acting like you're pro who knows everything about accuracy. In fact I know more about accuracy than you do.
Moeri_old_1

iaceo wrote:

Purple wrote:

Confirmed, left is early right is late for the hit error bar.
Basically i tweak the offset if
1. the song simply feels off with it's offset. It happens.. Everyone likes to hit stuff differently in relation to the music, and the hitsounds play in as well..
2. If the OD is high or if im trying to shave off the last few 100s from a song
3. Somwtimes i know ill be playing a song for quite a while, then i might try to even out the error with some -1/-2 and a few mental notes on which parts to stay calm on to avoid the negative error growing..

In general, mouse-over the graph after playing a song and just keep track of whats going on, the hit-meter is more useful for sections
Nothing is lost by looking at how your playing.

In regards to what bassist vinyl wrote.. No its not going to affect your unstable rate.. However by centering out the origin of your mistakes will increase your accuracy. Lets say im not centered and play at a -5 error.. -18/+18 are what i need for em 300s in this scenario~ so i can either go 13ms early or 23ms late.. I dont really want a big buffer on one side when i play... Sure i might do one hit 22ms late but in the meantime ive done 3x100s at -14.. Deviating from the central point feels safer and ive yet to find a hit graph that looked so structured that the player would benefit from skewing his error (ok ill admitt i havnt looked too much into this, since it would take some effort to run a proper analysis on someones missing habits (yes a 100 is a miss))

One final note though, dont go overzealous on the offset changes, its quite easy to feel stressed playing a song and react to the circles appearing. If youre just reacting to the circles the error wont improve even if you do change the offset so much that everything starts to feel off.
When this happens to me (lets say ive reached -7offset, some new parts have started to feel iffy and i still never managed to eaven out the error) just go back to 0 offset and calm the fuck down ;0

Cant believe i wrote all this on my damn phone v__v;
This is kinda what I meant in my thread as well. It's not about unstable rate, it's more about keeping your accuracy balance closer middle by adjusting offsets.
nrl

Kousaka Tenshi wrote:

Riince you're not even that good, not to mention your accuracy. So please just stop acting like you're pro who knows everything about accuracy. In fact I know more about accuracy than you do.
Neither of you know anything about accuracy. You're a rank 60-nothing with no experience who plays hards, and Bassist Vinyl is... well, Bassist Vinyl.
Moeri_old_1

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Kousaka Tenshi wrote:

Neither of you know anything about accuracy. You're a rank 60-nothing with no experience who plays hards, and Bassist Vinyl is... well, Bassist Vinyl.
Knowing about accuracy does not equal being good at playing hard difficulties.
nrl
Technically true, but there's not really anything to know about accuracy, and even having good accuracy doesn't matter when it isn't applied to substantially hard diffs. You don't have enough experience to claim relevance here.
Moeri_old_1

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Technically true, but there's not really anything to know about accuracy, and even having good accuracy doesn't matter when it isn't applied to substantially hard diffs. You don't have enough experience to claim relevance here.
It's not like I'm new to rhythm game, stop using experience as argument. Even if osu! differs other rhythm games by gameplay, the concept is still the same, to click to the rhythm, and accuracy is involved in all.
nrl

Kousaka Tenshi wrote:

stop using experience as argument
Stop using strawmen as arguments. There's nothing special about understanding the concept of accuracy. Relevance in an accuracy discussion comes from being an accurate player, and you simply don't have the plays to back that kind of claim.