forum

New ranking/modding system development

posted
Total Posts
show more
notnotrusselg

apaffy wrote:

(And what text editor is that, looks nice?)
Sublime Text 2.
kisata

Babycake wrote:

apaffy wrote:

Sublime Text 2.
Yeah, saw the title in the stream not too long after. Thanks.
Topic Starter
peppy

apaffy wrote:

A lot of detailed information.

Hypothetical, what if more than eight maps reach the qualification critera on the same day. How are you going to have those maps staying in there for only 7 days if you're only letting through 8 a time? Wouldn't some of them stay in there longer than that. Long shot I know, but it could happen. That's the only question I have off the top of my head, and the proposal seems nice otherwise.

They will filter out over time. The number "8" may change depending on how we can handle it. The main idea here isn't to increase the number of ranked maps, but to change the focus on which maps are ranked, giving all maps an equal chance.
Scorpiour

peppy wrote:

apaffy wrote:

A lot of detailed information.

Hypothetical, what if more than eight maps reach the qualification critera on the same day. How are you going to have those maps staying in there for only 7 days if you're only letting through 8 a time? Wouldn't some of them stay in there longer than that. Long shot I know, but it could happen. That's the only question I have off the top of my head, and the proposal seems nice otherwise.

They will filter out over time. The number "8" may change depending on how we can handle it. The main idea here isn't to increase the number of ranked maps, but to change the focus on which maps are ranked, giving all maps an equal chance.
it is a good idea for all mappers, but i'm worried about new mappers who wanna join the new system since their have no sp at all and no experience in modding.

if it is possible to help new mappers like "if you have no ranked map then point request reduce to 100 or 150" ?
Topic Starter
peppy
Star priority is not part of this system. When a modder mods a map from the queue, and if they find no issues with it, they will nominate it. THis means that even unknown mappers can get nominations via the queue.
deadbeat
what will happen with kudosu?
neonat
Only mods from the queue and assignments/session counts in the score?
Topic Starter
peppy

deadbeat wrote:

what will happen with kudosu?
kudosu will eventually be deprecated.

neonat wrote:

Only mods from the queue and assignments/session counts in the score?
please read the design document.
Mara

peppy wrote:

THis means that even unknown mappers can get nominations via the queue.
If this is going to be true, this system is going to be groovy. 8-)
Scorpiour

peppy wrote:

Star priority is not part of this system. When a modder mods a map from the queue, and if they find no issues with it, they will nominate it. THis means that even unknown mappers can get nominations via the queue.
i see..

but how about the "chance". I means, if there're thousands maps in the queue already, how about the oppotunity that the map is noticed by others?

another problem.. what about mode speicific mapsets like Mania? it may be a big trouble if i meet it.

edit : one more question: if it is much more hard for Mania/Taiko maps to gather enough support?
Topic Starter
peppy
See design doc for mode-specific stuff.

Queue priority settings can be adjusted depending on how people feel their maps are getting attention. The important part is having the framework in place.
CXu
Might want to cut of that list over posts in a mapthread, and have it expand on mouse-over:
http://puu.sh/2HntI.png

It kind of obstructs the view of everything else, and it's not really that useful in most cases.
Topic Starter
peppy
I plan on making it more useful and logical. It's by no means anywhere near final.
Andrea
I like where this is going, keep it up.
ryza

Is mod rating the same as mod score, or is it different?

If they're the same, I'm probably just confused cause the values are so low for me (lol)
NoHitter
If star priority isn't necessary for ranking maps anymore, what's stopping someone from asking three people who has qualifications in approving a map from just posting in his map without going through the queue?

What about modders who see nothing unrankable from the map, but want to give small suggestions. Based on the pending map not being updated, and if by removing it, you reset its place in the queue, mappers will be discouraged from making these fixes.

Will BATs have maximum amount of modder rank since we already are deemed qualified?
Topic Starter
peppy

NoHitter wrote:

If star priority isn't necessary for ranking maps anymore, what's stopping someone from asking three people who has qualifications in approving a map from just posting in his map without going through the queue?
This is fine assuming the map is ready for ranking (has no issues). If it has issues they will be penalised when it is bumped out of qualified criteria.

NoHitter wrote:

What about modders who see nothing unrankable from the map, but want to give small suggestions. Based on the pending map not being updated, and if by removing it, you reset its place in the queue, mappers will be discouraged from making these fixes.
Their position in queue is already low after it has been assigned modders (each mod assigned drops the position in queue). Position in queue doesn't mean much after you already have modders assigned. It is assumed to some extent that those modders will carry on looking at your map until it is ready.

NoHitter wrote:

Will BATs have maximum amount of modder rank since we already are deemed qualified?
No.
Xgor
Pretty nice system. I can't imagine myself getting that much points if the maps I get queued is not interesting to mod.

.....One question though... What will happen if let's say there is 70 nominated maps in total one day. Eight maps per day is only allowed to get ranked yet everything needs to get ranked in 7 days. Will there be a system to prevent the amount of nominated maps other than it's takes a time to get the power to nominate?
Kodora
No. Sorry, but no. As for me system have some very bad issues.

1) Forcing people to mod this will affect the mods quality. Some people may just do not want to mod maps (and ofc lose their rating). So they will write mods "just to skip this map" (like "add new combo & clap, good luck")
2) How those maps list was builded? Due to Star Priority? But sometimes people just abuse the system (maps with bad quality have SP +50, 60, 80, and most of stars are from creator). Most of modders may just do not want to mod this. How they can be forced?

I think this idea overral is nice, but still needs work a lot. Thanks.
Topic Starter
peppy
Please read the design document. This is already discussed (see the comments area if it isn't in the document itself).
Sieg
new system looks great :)
pw384
I don't know if I understand the system correctly but I am just afraid of the loss of mapper's choose-what-to-mod power.

Edit:
If this happens, there will soon be no new mappers anymore. And many of mappers may AFK. :o
Kurai
As 'qualified' maps will get a scoreboard, will they also give pp ?

I really like the concept anyway ! (People will eventually stop saying "lel BATs are corrupted they only rank their friends' map lelel").
Zare
I'd like to choose what I mod, and I'd like to do it when I have the motivation to do it.
Modding takes, depending on the mapset, about 2 hours for me. That's not something I can/want to do every day.
Kurai

Zarerion wrote:

I'd like to choose what I mod, and I'd like to do it when I have the motivation to do it.
Modding takes, depending on the mapset, about 2 hours for me. That's not something I can/want to do every day.
You're still free to do that, you'll just get less points.
ryza

Zarerion wrote:

You lose .6 mod score every day that you don't make a mod post.

If you don't care about your score, or if you have plenty, then you can mod at whatever pace you want.

If you don't play by the system's rules, however, you won't gain certain privileges granted by it (the main one being nomination of maps)

I think it's good, it gives a lot of maps an easier time getting modded, and lets people who want to mod actually gain something from it but also show them what they should mod

Seems fair to me.

(I hope I'm not misunderstanding something big)
Topic Starter
peppy

Kodora wrote:

1) Forcing people to mod this will affect the mods quality. Some people may just do not want to mod maps (and ofc lose their rating). So they will write mods "just to skip this map" (like "add new combo & clap, good luck")
You don't have to use the new mod queue.

Kodora wrote:

2) How those maps list was builded? Due to Star Priority? But sometimes people just abuse the system (maps with bad quality have SP +50, 60, 80, and most of stars are from creator).
See design document.

Kurai wrote:

As 'qualified' maps will get a scoreboard, will they also give pp ?[/size]
They won't give PP (anyway, songs which are just-ranked give really inaccurate pp which is usually close to zero after the first day, so this will act as a good buffer).

Silynn wrote:

(I hope I'm not misunderstanding something big)
You aren't.
NoHitter
Let me clarify something as well:
Is Nominate 4 Nominate (I nominate your map, and nominate mine) considered an abuse for this system? http://puu.sh/2HpB0.png

If this is true, I can imagine a scenario with 4 different mappers nominating their own maps without even getting any mods at all...
And assuming the maps are "rankable", they basically skipped the modding process.
Topic Starter
peppy
To nominate a map, you need to post a mod post – even if that post says "No issues". If three people do this and there are in fact no issues, then it is not abuse to have such a map ranked. Keep in mind though:

If any issues are found, all of the nominators will be punished.
There may be extra priority given to maps which were nominated and have been waiting longer to be ranked (TBD).
quantum-rose
it's hard to get a mania mod now,and i don't think we'll have any new mania beatmaps ranked if such rules are carried on
ryza

quantum-rose wrote:

it's hard to get a mania mod now,and i don't think we'll have any new mania beatmaps ranked if such rules are carried on
I think the opposite is true, from what I can tell, people are allowed to choose which modes they are available to mod, so if you have a mania only map in queue it will be sent off to mania only modders (this will include the mania BATs such as Entozer and Chonicle, I think)

At least, that's how I see it panning out. In the new system, instead of needing connections, the connections will be made for you.
quantum-rose

peppy wrote:

To nominate a map, you need to post a mod post – even if that post says "No issues". If three people do this and there are in fact no issues, then it is not abuse to have such a map ranked. Keep in mind though:

There may be extra priority given to maps which were nominated and have been waiting longer to be ranked (TBD).
some socalled "issues"are just full of dispute
and we'll never see a map like The Big Black because no nominater wants to be punished for nominating an "overmapped" beatmap
DakeDekaane
  1. When a mapper puts a map into the Pending criteria, changes to the map are locked. BSS will warn mappers of this when they do so.
  2. Removing a map from pending can be done at any point by the mapper, but the position in queue will be reset. This is not an issue after already receiving mod posts, as your position in queue is already reduced by the incoming modders. Remember that queue position has nothing to do with getting nominated/ranked.
I'm a bit confused about this, it's a bit contradicting imo.
I know there are a plenty of mappers that like to polish their maps besides the mods they receive. Will they be able to do it only after receiving a mod, or they can do it whenever they want but at the cost of resetting their position in the queue? I think maps should be locked when achieving the Qualified status.

New system seems pretty good, but I'm afraid of those mappers that make "rankable" mapsets.

And Approval category will be removed as I can see, is this right?
Zare

peppy wrote:

peppy. There is no map with "no issues". 3 very experienced modders can call a map good to go, and others may disagree with them, but that shouldn't be a reason for a penalty.
Opinions differ, I wouldn't have EVER let some maps that were ra nked recently, get ranked, because I think they fucking suck, but some people seem to actually like them.
Kurai

quantum-rose wrote:

and we'll never see a map like The Big Black because no nominater wants to be punished for nominating an "overmapped" beatmap
I don't really think it's a bad thing. :D Anyway, believe me, I'm 100% sure those maps will still get ranked.
quantum-rose

Kurai wrote:

quantum-rose wrote:

I don't really think it's a bad thing. :D
in fact i think The Big Black should be ranked cuz it's not too bad to be unranked

Kurai wrote:

Anyway, believe me, I'm 100% sure those maps will still get ranked.
Maybe u're right
Kodora
+10 for map from queue isnt too much? I afraid people can abuse the system (even with downvotes from other modders).
Shadow

Kodora wrote:

+10 for map from queue isnt too much? I afraid people can abuse the system (even with downvotes from other modders).
I'm pretty sure abusers will receive a harsh punishment, so this shouldn't be a problem.
theowest
This is a great deal better than I would ever imagine it be like, great job peppy!
wonders
you are really a stupid guy
1. this system deprival people's right to choose the maps, what map you auto chose? high SP? Those 50+ 70+ SP why not can not rank? all things are obey the ranking rules, but their maps don't have any interesting things, so what should we say, remap PLZ? move this slider a gird? random maps? i can say there are more than thousands new maps can be upload a day, but only a about one map is ok for rank, this system will waste most time modders
why people want to mod these maps,1.they want to mod those song they like, 2.they want to mod those mappers and mapping style they like, 3. they want help new guys this system will deprival 1 and 2, people have to mod those maps they don't like. who willing to eat food they don't like?
2.mapping is an art, also modding too, don't like a RPG game, EXP for moding? are you kidding me? you can make a modding system, believe i can make a mapping system auto make maps, all the things obey the rules and like a shit, if you really want to. no one can stop me rank these maps
the really good mappers and modders will not willing to work again. please wait those LV99 mappers and modders make maps for you.
3.you are a really stubborn man, you can treat this post like a shit, you can do every decision alone and never change, even you can ban me, but did you ask your BAT's advice, they are not you pets, also you do not pay a dollar. you never respect them ,and they will hurt and leave, oh oh oh you can find more new BATs, the really dogs
show more