forum

#2 osu! World Cup (Team vs) [Korea wins]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Neruell
Well that is kinda actually what I am asking just compared to owc1 it was made with germany + others...
Topic Starter
fartownik

Neruell wrote:

No, I mean last year there were 2 german teams, and one of it was half german half austrian because they didn't have enough ppl to form their own team. Yes germany has enough people, it had even too many people who wanted to play and austria didn't have enough for even a full 4 player team that's why they were merged into "german" team. Same question again, if austria doens't get enough people, can german ppl particiapte in it? Or can we form a second german team with them as players?

P.S. This is just a curiosity from my side, so this question is not based on facts, but just in case if this happens again.
Yes, there will be a possibility like this, but only for 1 player from Germany. The majority must stay on the Austria side.
This is the worst scenario of course.

ErufenRito wrote:

Why not just a team composed of minorities? Like Austria + Switerland + Belgium + any other?
I guess it'd only work for countries with extremely small base of players. I'd prefer to keep the origin of how all of the World Cups work and worked.
XPJ38
Cyclohexane
^Get the fuck out, please.
fabriciorby
Here we go

Country name: Brazil
Captain: fabriciorby
Player1: Blue Dragon
Player2: Caco
Player3: antsu
--------------------------
Back-up Player1: Fumi-chan
Back-up Player2: K3nsh1n_H1mur4

GMT -3/ GMT -2

PS: It may suffer some alteration, ok?
Metro

fabriciorby wrote:

Here we go

Country name: Brazil
Captain: fabriciorby
Player1: Blue Dragon
Player2: Caco
Player3: antsu
Back-up Player1: Fumi-chan
Back-up Player2: K3nsh1n_H1mur4

GMT -3/ GMT -2

PS: It may suffer some alteration, ok?
Fumi-chan the next Cookiezi.
Lybydose
blah blah seeding whatever blah blah
If it's "no fun" that the best teams have to face each other round one, I'd say it's even less fun for a less skilled team to immediately face the best team and get knocked out of the tournament. It sucks to play in a tournament and never actually get to play anyone around your skill level to make for interesting games.

If the "best teams" eliminating each other really early is such a problem, why not use a different tournament system such as something involving pools, double elimination, or swiss pairings?
YodaSnipe
^ well said, though I've never heard of swiss pairings. (googles it :D)
mancuso_JM_
COME ON!! ARGENTINA and CHILE :D
Metro

Lybydose wrote:

blah blah seeding whatever blah blah
If it's "no fun" that the best teams have to face each other round one, I'd say it's even less fun for a less skilled team to immediately face the best team and get knocked out of the tournament. It sucks to play in a tournament and never actually get to play anyone around your skill level to make for interesting games.

If the "best teams" eliminating each other really early is such a problem, why not use a different tournament system such as something involving pools, double elimination, or swiss pairings?
imo groups of 4 countries. top 2 go to the next stage which is a double elimination bracket. this is almost standard for big tournaments.
Wishy
Plus you get 8 groups so you can "seed" 8 pro teams, each in one group, and then the other 3 teams can actually face each other fairly without having to surrender even before playing.

This would make the OWC a week longer at most but I think it's worth it, so every team can play at least 3 matches.
Lybydose
Swiss pairings are used in M:tG tournaments (actually it's "modified" swiss, but I don't know the difference). Here's how it works:

8 teams = 3 rounds
9 - 16 teams = 4 rounds
17 - 32 teams = 5 rounds
...etc

All teams play every round (unless they want to drop out early).

Round 1 pairs everyone randomly with another team. Teams that win their match get 1 point, losers get 0 points.
Round 2 and on pairs each team with another random team that has the same number of points. Basically after round 1, you'll always be playing a team that's doing just as well (or as bad) as you.

After however many rounds, Top 8 teams play an elimination bracket.

This type of tournament is generally best suited for large tournaments though, since it lets you play out a 1024 player tournament in just 10 rounds, and lets you continue to double player numbers with just one additional round per doubling. This is probably why M:tG tournaments use it (in addition to the fact that it lets everyone play every round). A pool-based system with the "top teams" seeded to be in separate pools would probably be better for something smaller like this.
YodaSnipe
Metro and Wishy22 have very good ideas/points there. Hopefully they don't get ignored, or at least hopefully they have good reasons not to host it this way, and actually tell us what those reasons are :D
Wishy
Actually I have talked a bit with fartowik (a few PMs) and he isn't the kind of guy who's going around ignoring everyone and doing how he pleases, so I'm sure he's gonna read what we posted.
Rey Fullbuster
and 1 more question, will dvorak became the streamer of the 2nd osu! world cup,when the tournament is official ?
Wishy
And yeah I am a pain in the ass. But I seriously suggest you get active somewhat skilled players at the very least to suggest you what maps to pick for the tournament, or at least pick them yourself + ask if they're ok with some players. Please don't get 5/6 BATs that don't even play this game to choose bad maps like they did last time. Honestly you can be osu!'s staff and a great BAT but if you don't really play the game you have no idea what maps are really fun to play/liked.
lepidopodus

Wishy22 wrote:

you get active somewhat skilled players
Getting some nice professional players to participate can be a nice idea...

Wishy22 wrote:

pick them yourself + ask if they're ok with some players..
...but well, just asking some players around is somewhat dangerous since the map list can be easly leaked before releasing. So we might be able to set some kind of advisor board before starting this tournament...?
zozozofun
Since some of the better dutch players won't participate we give a chance to the others of Holland who aren't as good as them!

Holland

Captain: zozozofun
Player 1: Big_ChilD
Player 2: Waiting
Player 3: Waiting

GMT + 1

More will join soon (probably)
maal
Changed Denmark's team, please update. :>
Wishy

lepidopodus wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

you get active somewhat skilled players
Getting some nice professional players to participate can be a nice idea...

Wishy22 wrote:

pick them yourself + ask if they're ok with some players..
...but well, just asking some players around is somewhat dangerous since the map list can be easly leaked before releasing. So we might be able to set some kind of advisor board before starting this tournament...?
I think there are several good experienced players that are grown-up enough to not go around leaking the map list. If you still think you can't trust some of those you can just give them a... 40 maps list and tell them to give you their opinions, and from that you can somewhat decide on the 15 maps without telling anyone. Though I still think there is plenty of people who can actually be trusted, like if you're 22 years old I want to believe you're not that retarded.

Maybe I have to like... learn to read. But when 2 teams play the maps would be chosen like this I guess, right?

Team A.
Team B.
Team B.
Team A.
Fixed map.
GladiOol

zozozofun wrote:

Since some of the better dutch players won't participate we give a chance to the others of Holland who aren't as good as them!

Holland

Player 2: VulcanicMoonCard

GMT + 1

Haha \:D/ eliminated first round.
If not, I will eat my shoes ~~
Topic Starter
fartownik

Lybydose wrote:

Swiss pairings are used in M:tG tournaments (actually it's "modified" swiss, but I don't know the difference). Here's how it works:

8 teams = 3 rounds
9 - 16 teams = 4 rounds
17 - 32 teams = 5 rounds
...etc

All teams play every round (unless they want to drop out early).

Round 1 pairs everyone randomly with another team. Teams that win their match get 1 point, losers get 0 points.
Round 2 and on pairs each team with another random team that has the same number of points. Basically after round 1, you'll always be playing a team that's doing just as well (or as bad) as you.

After however many rounds, Top 8 teams play an elimination bracket.

This type of tournament is generally best suited for large tournaments though, since it lets you play out a 1024 player tournament in just 10 rounds, and lets you continue to double player numbers with just one additional round per doubling. This is probably why M:tG tournaments use it (in addition to the fact that it lets everyone play every round). A pool-based system with the "top teams" seeded to be in separate pools would probably be better for something smaller like this.
A very interesting idea indeed. Never heard of it though, maybe I should have been more discerning about the tournament schemes. I'm still opened for all kinds of suggestions and if I see the proposed system is better than I thought up with, I will think about implementing it. Gonna talk it through with Lunah soon.

r3yn41d0 wrote:

and 1 more question, will dvorak became the streamer of the 2nd osu! world cup,when the tournament is official ?
I have PM'd him already, sadly got no response yet. We're still looking for someone to stream matches of the tournament.

Wishy22 wrote:

And yeah I am a pain in the ass. But I seriously suggest you get active somewhat skilled players at the very least to suggest you what maps to pick for the tournament, or at least pick them yourself + ask if they're ok with some players. Please don't get 5/6 BATs that don't even play this game to choose bad maps like they did last time. Honestly you can be osu!'s staff and a great BAT but if you don't really play the game you have no idea what maps are really fun to play/liked.
The staff is going to be composed of people with experiences in both mapping and playing. The reason the staff member list isn't posted yet is that we're still looking for certain trusted people to help. A responsible choosing like this takes some time.

Wishy22 wrote:

Actually I have talked a bit with fartowik (a few PMs) and he isn't the kind of guy who's going around ignoring everyone and doing how he pleases, so I'm sure he's gonna read what we posted.
And yeah, I read all of the posts and consider all of your suggestions.

Wishy22 wrote:

Maybe I have to like... learn to read. But when 2 teams play the maps would be chosen like this I guess, right?

Team A.
Team B.
Team B.
Team A.
Fixed map.
This hasn't been included in the rules, but yes, that's how it will look.
Wishy
There are lots of schemes you can apply to tournament. In this case you gonna have just a few teams so the best possible idea is to apply something like what's applied to soccer world cups. 8 groups made out of 4 teams, where only two will pass to the next phase, and by having groups like this of course you take the advantage of putting apart each pro team so not only you avoid getting China Vs. Japan in the first rounds, but get even the average teams to have fun playing against people like them and why not, a chance to get somewhere in the tournament too. :d
YodaSnipe
Plus teams that lose once aren't eliminated from the entire tourney (unless I am mistaken, then derp).

:D
Metro

YodaSnipe wrote:

Plus teams that lose once aren't eliminated from the entire tourney (unless I am mistaken, then derp).

:D
You're not. All teams play at least 3 matches.
NatsumeRin
Supporting Swiss pairing here. If you'd like to hold it 8 or 9 rounds you could easily get a rank of all joined team. The final score could be calculated as: C=10A+B
A=the score they get (win=1, lose=0)
B=the total score of their opponents
why we need a B here is if two team has the same score, we could still judge them by the opponents they have. Also, if some team drops out halfway, their opponents could get a free point, but no "opponent point" for them.

However, a Swiss pairing OWC won't be that exciting: (people won't concentrate that much on semi-final/final... in fact in this way we don't have one), so just as Lyby said, separate the match into 2 stages.

Stage 1: a Swiss paring qualifying, you also don't need to set a team number limit like 32... 5~7 rounds here (consider there won't be 64 contries but probably would have 32). Then make the top 8 countries to the next stage.

Stage 2: Elimination. something like NBA playoffs (1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5) or just random pairing, whatever.

The "not so good" teams could usually enjoy playing a game with another team with similar level players at stage 1. Also it gives the pro teams much more chance so they can probably go to stage 2, that's better than "seed team".

Then let's enjoy the top 8 elimination, would be exciting and fun.

About map choosing for the two stages:

Stage 1: I think in this part, we should try to "make all players have fun", so in 5~7 rounds, i'll suggest something like "themed chart". Round 1 Touhou, Round 2 IIDX, Round3 Vocaloid etc. Pick 15 maps for each round would be enough, but pick 90 maps for the whole stage 1 would be orz.

Stage 2: Try to get some pro players' opinion and pick competitive maps (easy to miss/hard to get high acc/etc), that doesn't mean to pick maps like OWC #1 though, i think we all know where is the line.
zozozofun

GladiOol wrote:

zozozofun wrote:

Holland

Player 2: VulcanicMoonCard

GMT + 1

Haha \:D/ eliminated first round.
If not, I will eat my shoes ~~
Agreed.
Ryu_old
ANd How should create team of your country? o.o
Wishy
Just make the 8 groups system, otherwise then again you get all pro teams win the first round against bad teams and face each other in the second round already, I understand they're not out of the game if they lose there but it still would be pretty lame imo to get the most interesting matches so early.
creativ_old

Mikutard wrote:

Country name: Portugal
Captain: Mikutard
Player1: Makkura
Player2: Maraiga
Player3: Jonnythatjonny

Back-up Player1: Pereira006
Back-up Player2:

Time-Zone: Gmt +0 / Gmt -1
Changes were made.
fabriciorby
@fartownik

that change, kenshin himura to katsuri
theowest
I'm captain for sweden

proof:

SPOILER
20:57 <kriers> : I want to see a Sweden team formed for owc!
20:58 <Saten-san> : Milk
20:58 <Gyuunyu> : Saten.
20:58 <Gyuunyu> : whats owc ?
20:59 <kriers> : osu! world cup
20:59 <kriers> : viewtopic.php?f=55&t=65535
20:59 <kriers> : go for it
21:00 <Gyuunyu> : :o
21:00 <PlasticSmoothie> : Yes! Please do form a team!
21:00 <Gyuunyu> : i dont want to be captain :s
21:00 <PlasticSmoothie> : Have someone else be captain then. :p
21:00 <PlasticSmoothie> : But we need the entire of Scandinavia represented!
21:00 <kriers> : yes
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : But who is going to be captain ?
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : Saten +1
21:01 <kriers> : saten for captain
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : or Theo +1 :>
21:01 <kriers> : why not
21:01 <kriers> : he'd want it
21:01 <theowest> : WHAT
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : But , wee need more players
21:01 <theowest> : OMG
21:01 <theowest> : I WANT!!!!!!
21:01 <theowest> : <33<<33<<33<<33
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : Yes
21:01 <theowest> : BECAUSE I LOVE THE MOST!
21:02 <Emaal> : Denmark already signed up! :3
21:02 <theowest> : AND SCANDI PEOPLE ARE HAPPY AND LOVERFUL
21:02 <Gyuunyu> : Wee nominate You , Theo To Swedens captain !
21:02 <PlasticSmoothie> : YES THEO. GO FORM SWEDISH TEAM NAO
21:02 <theowest> : YAAAAAAAAY
21:02 <kriers> : Norway too
21:02 <theowest> : WOHOOOOOOOOO
21:02 <kriers> : viewtopic.php?f=55&t=65535
21:02 <DennisGG> : SEJT
21:02 <theowest> : <3<33<3<3<<3<3
21:02 <DennisGG> : HVOR SEJT
21:02 <theowest> : I LOVE YOU ALL!! <3
21:02 <Emaal> : ohgod no
21:02 <PlasticSmoothie> : Aaaand Theo is overjoyed. :p
21:02 <DennisGG> : Nogle danskere der mangler en holdkammerat? ;)
21:02 <Gyuunyu> : Wee love you to :>
21:02 <Emaal> : endnu en dansker. .___.'

They want me. I want.
My1_old

Neruell wrote:

Blacky wrote:

If its possible I would like to join the german Team. Switzerland hasn't got enough... good players. And they aren't very activ. So if it's ok, I would like to join the germans :).
+

Same question about Austria, last owc they were so few that they formed an other german team, can it be done again? (unless austria doesn't want/have enough ppl for their own team)
if that could be then count me in coz I didnt get in the normal german team (@meeting time I was not here)
Anroys
Where is the polish team fartownik? O:
Gorlum
Ukraine is coming!
Country name: Ukraine
Captain: gorlum
Player1: rockleejkooо
Player2: uljjang
Player3: TBA
Back-up Player1: TBA
Back-up Player2: TBA

Time zone: GMT+2
_Angel
Country name: USSR
Captain: 646kapeh064
Player1: _Angel
Player2: Mikota Misora
Player3: roJIoBa

boat

theowest wrote:

I'm captain for sweden

proof:

SPOILER
20:57 <kriers> : I want to see a Sweden team formed for owc!
20:58 <Saten-san> : Milk
20:58 <Gyuunyu> : Saten.
20:58 <Gyuunyu> : whats owc ?
20:59 <kriers> : osu! world cup
20:59 <kriers> : viewtopic.php?f=55&t=65535
20:59 <kriers> : go for it
21:00 <Gyuunyu> : :o
21:00 <PlasticSmoothie> : Yes! Please do form a team!
21:00 <Gyuunyu> : i dont want to be captain :s
21:00 <PlasticSmoothie> : Have someone else be captain then. :p
21:00 <PlasticSmoothie> : But we need the entire of Scandinavia represented!
21:00 <kriers> : yes
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : But who is going to be captain ?
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : Saten +1
21:01 <kriers> : saten for captain
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : or Theo +1 :>
21:01 <kriers> : why not
21:01 <kriers> : he'd want it
21:01 <theowest> : WHAT
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : But , wee need more players
21:01 <theowest> : OMG
21:01 <theowest> : I WANT!!!!!!
21:01 <theowest> : <33<<33<<33<<33
21:01 <Gyuunyu> : Yes
21:01 <theowest> : BECAUSE I LOVE THE MOST!
21:02 <Emaal> : Denmark already signed up! :3
21:02 <theowest> : AND SCANDI PEOPLE ARE HAPPY AND LOVERFUL
21:02 <Gyuunyu> : Wee nominate You , Theo To Swedens captain !
21:02 <PlasticSmoothie> : YES THEO. GO FORM SWEDISH TEAM NAO
21:02 <theowest> : YAAAAAAAAY
21:02 <kriers> : Norway too
21:02 <theowest> : WOHOOOOOOOOO
21:02 <kriers> : viewtopic.php?f=55&t=65535
21:02 <DennisGG> : SEJT
21:02 <theowest> : <3<33<3<3<<3<3
21:02 <DennisGG> : HVOR SEJT
21:02 <theowest> : I LOVE YOU ALL!! <3
21:02 <Emaal> : ohgod no
21:02 <PlasticSmoothie> : Aaaand Theo is overjoyed. :p
21:02 <DennisGG> : Nogle danskere der mangler en holdkammerat? ;)
21:02 <Gyuunyu> : Wee love you to :>
21:02 <Emaal> : endnu en dansker. .___.'

They want me. I want.
Yeah, sure, but where is the team.
Gorlum

_Angel wrote:

Country name: CCCP

_Angel
gurlum cool joke
Topic Starter
fartownik

_Angel wrote:

Country name: CCCP

'

Mixed-country teams are not allowed.
Also stop spamming with those random images, this thread was made to post feedbacks and to be informative.
show more