forum

Support for a better scroll speed setting system?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Blaizer
Currently, the way scroll speed works in osu!mania is that the BPM of a song affects it. So, on the same scroll setting (the setting you change by pressing F3/F4), a song with a BPM of 200 would scroll twice as fast as a song with a BPM of 100. This is good, because it allows SV changes to exist, because they basically modify the effective BPM of a song. But it's not ideal because you end up having to mess with your setting depending on how fast the song is.

So what is this "better scroll speed setting system", then? Well the idea is that with the same scroll setting, a song with a BPM of 200 will scroll at the same speed as one with 100 BPM. Keep reading, though, we're still gonna be preserving SV changes in exactly the same way. The key here is that we work with respect to the song's "primary BPM" for this calculation. The idea is that most songs have a primary BPM that they stay at for a majority of the time, and then with BPM or SV changes, they go faster or slower for a smaller portion of the song. The scroll setting will preserve these faster or slower parts, they'll just be faster or slower around the scroll speed of the primary BPM.

So the setting won't change gameplay at all. All it means is that you'll end up changing your setting for scroll speed less often. If a setting of 10 works for you with one song, it'll probably work for you on every other song with very little tweaking. If you decide you need to increase your scroll speed to do harder songs, you'll soon find that the new setting benefits you on all songs. In fact, this change might even raise the skill ceiling of the game, because when the song is going at its primary BPM, it'll be going at the exact speed you've eventually learned by using whatever setting you're using.

So before making a feature request to Peppy, I wanted to see if there's actually support for this from beginner and advanced players alike. As a relatively new player this change would be extremely convenient for me. I'm not familiar enough with the game to know what scroll settings work with what songs, so I end up having to tweak the setting every time I play a new song until it feels about right. Since I have to restart the song in order to change the setting, this quickly gets frustrating. But I'd like to know if more advanced players would also benefit from this system. Tell me what you think!
Kitsune-kun
I really like this idea, Sounds far better than the current scroll system imo.
Akihiro
Support :)

Not sure if I have votes left though :?
Dexterous-
I support this!
Kamikaze
Something like LR2's BPM-fix or Stepmania's C mods, I support this, that's a thing that I miss mostly here
Maiz94
I guess 4 would be a better place to request.
Kamikaze

Blaizer wrote:

So before making a feature request to Peppy, I wanted to see if there's actually support for this from beginner and advanced players alike.
Redon
Agka
woc2006 was already requested to calculate scrolling using MMods (aka find the highest speed and set that to a constant and normalize everything around that) and the answer was "you can see the bpm in song selection and change the scrolling speed accordingly so no"

though once peppy releases osu! as open source I might take a jab at implementing it...
CephiCC

Agka wrote:

woc2006 was already requested to calculate scrolling using MMods (aka find the highest speed and set that to a constant and normalize everything around that) and the answer was "you can see the bpm in song selection and change the scrolling speed accordingly so no"

though once peppy releases osu! as open source I might take a jab at implementing it...
but peppy, you can't simply do that.

It's too hard to "off-the-bat" gauge what scroll speed you're going to need. A consistency feature would raise the quality of play of both new and veteran players.

It seems kind of silly, the current system. It feels like a placeholder in comparison to the suggested idea.
Tear
The LR2 "HS-fix" is perfect, can we has ;_;
Cozzzy
Yus. When I next get supporter, I'll give your request all the stars too

Another thing: anyone else find the current system is either too slow or too fast on some high BPM maps? I often end up having to set it slightly too slow, then play with FL or have something partially cover the screen
Cuppp
All these hopes and dreams
Takuneru
I'd love this, and support this idea, though I can't give any stars...
I'm a very casual mania player, but this would help quite a lot.
Tidek
That probably wont be implement, so I prefer another idea, just add 10,5 11,5 12,5 etc to current scrolling speed values.

Why? Because I cant find the best for me scrolling speed for 190 or 210 bpm song (I like 12 for 180bpm and 11 for 200bpm), so both 11 or 12 are too fast/too slow for 190bpm.
Kamikaze

Tidek wrote:

That probably wont be implement, so I prefer another idea, just add 10,5 11,5 12,5 etc to current scrolling speed values.

Why? Because I cant find the best for me scrolling speed for 190 or 210 bpm song (I like 12 for 180bpm and 11 for 200bpm), so both 11 or 12 are too fast/too slow for 190bpm.
That's exactly why something like C-mods without negating SV would make so much sense, thus why this thread was made
Jole
This sounds wonderful. I think this'll be really nice for multiplayer because you won't have to rush your changes and hope it's correct. I support this

Tidek wrote:

This sounds reasonable as well
onehundred1
Too late, woc's dead and peppy doesn't give a shit about mania.
Tear
There are more osu!devs than that, even right now. Look at the changelog, it says who made every change.
Topic Starter
Blaizer
Seems like there is support for this, so I made the feature request. Here it is. t/216614