forum

New Rule: Difficulty names must name the difficulty

posted
Total Posts
show more
ztrot
like I said this wouldn't be a rule a guideline at best unless you disable the namechange in the editor it's self. That is relevant
Shiro
Thank you for not reading the other posts.
Let me repeat it once again: the part forcing the standard difficulty names has been dropped.
We are discussing guest difficulty naming now.

Disabling the namechange in the editor would make naming guest difficulties impossible. You're completely out of the discussion right now.

Also, after thinking a while, I think this case is fine, ziin, considering the other difficulties. Although it sounds and looks weird (to me at least).
Wording that kind of thing won't be easy though...
HakuNoKaemi

Sakura Hana wrote:

For instance could someone tell me what these diffs are? and how am i supposed to know without checking creator's words, 60% of the diff names is just the mapper's name+gatari, no difficulty level, nor anything at all
some are mapper related (cesc, Magic, Kuro), Katanagatari means Story of Katana, the Kyotouryuu is the fighting style name of the protagonist. Yet I have no problem saying which one is easier, which one is hard, and which one is done by the author.
Oh, finally ended...

Anyway, cases like this are anyway good as naming, as Ritsu is a drummer (and that obviously call "Taiko").
To with other similiar cases.
NatsumeRin
2 things need to be solved.

1. we need to know who made which difficulty.
2. we need to know if a difficulty is taiko or ctb (if it happens in the future)

And then what's wrong with ziin's version...?

For naming the diff [Herp] or [Derp], i suggest just leave that a case to case thing, if it makes no sense to a MAT/BAT he'll be free not to bubble/rank it, but since it may make sense to certain group of people, i don't suggest to make it a rule as we're not required to know everything with every music we have.
Shiro
There must be a way to know the difficulty is a Taiko or CtB specific diff. I can't think of any wording atm, so I suggest to just drop that part and only keep the one about guest mappers' names.

@NatsumeRin the second part of your post is relevant to the previous naming issue which (yay I'm gonna repeat that all the time) has already been dropped.
ziin

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

Anyway, cases like this are anyway good as naming, as Ritsu is a drummer (and that obviously call "Taiko").
There's nothing preventing osu from following the drums either. Anyone not familiar with Ritsu (plenty of folks) would not know she's a drummer, and even so, she plays a drumset, not a taiko drum.

ztrot wrote:

like I said this wouldn't be a rule a guideline at best unless you disable the namechange in the editor it's self. That is relevant
give me an example of when you shouldn't give the mapper credit.
-Athena-

ziin wrote:

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

There's nothing preventing osu from following the drums either. Anyone not familiar with Ritsu (plenty of folks) would not know she's a drummer, and even so, she plays a drumset, not a taiko drum.
I think the point is that it will make sense to the group of people who know who a certain character is, and since the beatmap is about a certain anime or whatever that said character is from, using that character's name would be fine
ziin

-A t H e N a- wrote:

I think the point is that it will make sense to the group of people who know who a certain character is, and since the beatmap is about a certain anime or whatever that said character is from, using that character's name would be fine
The flip side of that is that making Ritsu (Taiko) hurts no one. Leaving it called Ritsu makes me think this is a normal difficulty, then I click on it expecting to play a decent insane and get a taiko. It may make sense, but it's not obvious.
HakuNoKaemi
You can still give credit in the Op, as written in the last version proposed.

Plus difficulty naming it's still a form of creativity, and shouldn't be eradicated
Sakura

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

Because everyone in this community always checks creator's words before playing a map right?
CXu
Because the mapper wants to show the whole world that they created that difficulty yes.
ztrot
I don't always give credit for the fact some times I have easy, normal, somebody's tough, insane so to make it fit better I will rename it to hard and state it in the op.
Backfire
Well, taiko's can also have the word "drum" or "don/kat" in the name to show it's a taiko.

I named my taiko for La Di Da to La Di Don. It was originally Taika Di Da, but it's all the same thing.

I like giving my stuff some personality at the very least.

I name a majority of my taikos just Taiko Oni if the spread doesen't say other Guest's as well. Sometimes I do it just to be neat.
L_P
why not make it like the creator can change something here or make another option for GD here

and so the guest diff. will show the name of the guest, then the guest / creator can name it "nogard" "flame" or just "Hard" instead of something like "L_P's hard" that seems fancy to me...
Stefan

Sakura Hana wrote:

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

Because everyone in this community always checks creator's words before playing a map right?
If this People don't do this, why should this care us?
Creator's Words has a Sense. Not just that it looks cool and sexy. :P
TheVileOne
I don't agree with this. It would create another potential war with beatmap makers that doesn't need to be. I think the star rating is sufficient enough to decide which difficulty it is in most cases. It's just common sense that the star rating is related to how difficult one can expect a map to be, especially when it's a full mapset with easy through insane.

Easy could be named pineapple and you would still know it's the easiest because it's the lowest starred map. The same could be said for the other difficulties except hard modes, which require an extra level of thinking to consider whether they are an hard mode or an easier Insane if it's not obvious.

Collabs are a bit harder to decipher. A good rule is to consider collabs as Hard/Hard+ to Insane. The weight of whether it's one or the other before I play it is insignificant. I know it's going to be one or the other.They could call it Collab Hard or Collab Insane and I wouldn't mind- it would make it clearer, but it doesn't seem as necessary as a rule. A guideline would handle this nicely.

Now taiko maps can be identified easily in standard mode. The difficulty is often hard to determine. I don't think it would be wise to require inexperienced modders to point out taiko maps that don't have difficulty names attached. Taiko follows a different difficulty system than standard and if this were a rule, there would need to be a defacto standard for taiko difficulty naming in an official post somewhere on the forums. Until that happens taiko maps should be exempt from such a rule.

It's just a lot of hassle for little reason.
Sakura
The issue here is "Does it make sense for a game to have difficulties named like that?"
HakuNoKaemi
hmm, yep?

it's a game in the first place
TheVileOne
The OP doesn't make that clear. In most cases that I've seen the difficulty names are structured in a progressively harder terminology. If someone wants to name their hardest difficulty as something other than Insane, then I have no issue with it, because this is a common tactic for beatmap makers. Some makers have signature names for their hardest difficulty or even naming guidelines.

WyndII named guest diffs as WyndII Style and Natsume Rin names the hardest as just Rin. Others use references as difficulty names. It doesn't matter if the difficulty name doesn't directly indicate how hard a map is, because it indirectly indicates it.

My opinion is that restricting naming conventions limits creativity and standardizes osu as a whole. I don't think it's worth it to limit creativity in such an unnecessary manner.

Osu shouldn't go down such a slippery slope. What game starts with total freedom and overtime strips those freedoms away? Where should we draw the line and say that mappers should be able to map in this precarious way or that way when it can be done correctly? This is where I draw the line. We shouldn't restrict things that don't absolutely need to be restricted.
HakuNoKaemi
the fun thing is that the mapping level is higher now,but the freedom don't make it exit...

A guest mapper's name must appear either in the difficulty name or in the first post. Any difficulty name the mapper can be recognized with is fine. This is meant to give credit to mappers for their work. Difficulties meant to be played in a special game mode must clearly state in their name what mode they are made for.
this actually is the last version (OP isn't updated)
RandomJibberish
Amended to pretty much what's in the post above - just cleaned up the wording and removed an unneccesary sentence.

A guest mapper's name must be credited either in the difficulty name or in the first post of the map thread. Any difficulty name the mapper can be recognized by is fine. In addition, difficulties meant to be played in a special game mode must clearly state in their name what mode they are made for.