forum

New Rule: Difficulty names must name the difficulty

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Larto
Difficulty names must indicate the difficulty of the map, and if it's a guest mapper, show that mapper's name. This is to help players find out what kind of difficulty it is without having to start the map first, since the star rating isn't always accurate. Things like [Insane], [Expert], [Pro] or [Level 5] are acceptable difficulty names, [Tree] isn't.
Because a rule like this seems necessary. If difficulty names aren't supposed to indicate the map's difficulty, what are they there for? To give the mapper creative space? I'm by no means against creative space, but this doesn't belong into the difficulty names. Post all the creativity you have in your map posts, for what I care.
Lybydose
Only if I can use Lunatic, Extra, and Valhalla (ok maybe not Valhalla)
Soaprman
The worst ones are the ones named after the characters in the anime the song comes from. Usually not even in any particular order.

I think as long as the names go in some kind of logical order, they are usually fine. Actually naming the difficulty is best of course!
Raging Bull
I don't like mappers using their own name as difficulty too >_> What kind of a diff name is a "Raging Bull" No it's not insane!
Shiirn
Raging Bull
Natteke's a trollin'!
Gomo Psivarh
E
N
H
I
X
Sakura

Shiirn wrote:

Oh whatever shall we do, who can tell what the hardest difficulty is!
Who can tell indeed Fun Fact: Nogard was the easiest before i asked BD to increase diff settings by +1

But i do agree with this, regardless of "who can tell which one's the hardest" diff names must really make sense, and Shiirn isnt a difficulty, i'd take even as much as Level 1, Level 2, Level 3. Light, Medium, Heavy. Easy, Normal, Hard. Tiny, Small, Average, Big, Giant.

Anything that can be measured "X is more than Y" as long as it leaves enough room for some creativity while not going overboard with names that dont make sense.
Ekaru

Sakura Hana wrote:

Anything that can be measured "X is more than Y" as long as it leaves enough room for some creativity while not going overboard with names that dont make sense.
Ah, but what about...

\o/
NoHitter
What about difficulty names such as:
Castle, Sauna, Secret Lab, Heaven

It tells the difficulty, but you would need some sort of knowledge of a particular source in order to get it.

Edit: @ Shirn
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/33393

Star rating lied, but Difficulty names didn't.
Sakura

NoHItter wrote:

What about difficulty names such as:
Castle, Sauna, Secret Lab, Heaven

It tells the difficulty, but you would need some sort of knowledge of a particular source in order to get it.
So no, as i said something that can be measured would suffice
NoHitter
But they are stages in a game in increasing order of difficulty.

Edit:
On a sidenote, what about requiring the mention of the name of the guest mapper in the guest diff?
I've seen lots of maps that do this. It makes it look like the mapper did it himself/herself.
Ekaru

NoHItter wrote:

On a sidenote, what about requiring the mention of the name of the guest mapper in the guest diff?
I've seen lots of maps that do this. It makes it look like the mapper did it himself/herself.
The proposed rule requires this, actually.
Mismagius

Sakura Hana wrote:

Who can tell indeed Fun Fact: Nogard was the easiest before i asked BD to increase diff settings by +1
Except only-insane diffs in an approval map shouldn't respect this rule because that is very silly.

([Hakeru's Insane], then [Mercurius' even harder], then [BD's even more diffcult than that]?)
Sakura
I was more like bringing the fact that you can't tell the real order of the difficulties sometimes with star rating, your diff names are fine because all are Expert/Insane
Topic Starter
Larto

Blue Dragon wrote:

Sakura Hana wrote:

Except only-insane diffs in an approval map shouldn't respect this rule because that is very silly.

([Hakeru's Insane], then [Mercurius' even harder], then [BD's even more diffcult than that]?)
Insane, Extreme, Impossible. :3
Soaprman
Impossible, Really Impossible, Really Really Impossible.

Yeah, having all-insane approval mapsets follow this rule would be needless.
ziin
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/29807
FYI.

Not having a clear picture of the difficulty from just one map is somewhat annoying when trying to join a multiplayer game.
Sakura
I do agree with this, i would like to add that possibly any 6 minute or higher map needs to be labeled as Marathon (or we could discuss the length for that) and needs a Marathon tag, because i feel we're missing quite a bit from here http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist&s=4&r=6 ... 6&g=0&la=0 like for instance the top 2 here http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist&s=4&r=6 ... 6&g=0&la=0
Azure_Kite
No more Blue, red and Gold Truths, then v_v
show more