forum

How long did it take you to pass Insane songs?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Genshin

JAKANYAN wrote:

Luna wrote:

Insanes at 10k plays is decent, don't worry
^ This.

Also, the fact that you played songs you couldn't beat with nofail is actually the smartest thing you can do to improve. Most people think they have to play songs they can pass to improve but really playing what you can't or can barely pass is the best way to move forward.
it depends,
some maps like big black or airman require a gradual improving of skills (trained up with other maps) before being passed.
especially big black... playing that map without the skill to play insane can lead to anything... u play it 10k times? well u will waste 10k plays without any result.
Icyteru
I've been doing the same thing as you when I started, cept I was able to do insanes at around 4000 plays
Ekaru
Due to what standards were back in 2008, I really have to know what you consider to be an "Insane" in order to adequately answer that question.

Modern-style Insanes? Like a week after I learned you were supposed to turn mouse acceleration off, which would be over a year in total, I guess? Keep in mind that this game is bloody impossible to play with mouse acceleration. After I turned it off it was like, "OMG this jump map is suddenly extremely easy!"

Passing with A's and stuff on a regular basis didn't come until very recently, though, soon after I started playing semi-seriously again for the first time in over 3.5 years. I've been surprised at how quickly I've improved, actually.
nomen
Took me like 2 months to pass insanes decently, after like 5k plays.
Topic Starter
Kinenz

[AirCoN] wrote:

I've been doing the same thing as you when I started, cept I was able to do insanes at around 4000 plays
I don't mean that I'm only just now able to do insanes. I was able to play insanes without no fail around 2 months ago (correcting myself from earlier when I said it was just one month ago) but I just get higher accuracy on them now. What I was really asking was if my accuracy is where it should be by now when playing insane songs. Sorry for not being more specific D: Also, should I be using mods on them by now? I can do hidden and doubletime on a few, but I mostly play without any mods at all (insane only). Sorry again if I'm being confusing ><
Topic Starter
Kinenz

Ekaru wrote:

Due to what standards were back in 2008, I really have to know what you consider to be an "Insane" in order to adequately answer that question.

Modern-style Insanes? Like a week after I learned you were supposed to turn mouse acceleration off, which would be over a year in total, I guess? Keep in mind that this game is bloody impossible to play with mouse acceleration. After I turned it off it was like, "OMG this jump map is suddenly extremely easy!"

Passing with A's and stuff on a regular basis didn't come until very recently, though, soon after I started playing semi-seriously again for the first time in over 3.5 years. I've been surprised at how quickly I've improved, actually.
By "insane" I mean when the mapper either names his difficulty "insane" or when it is easy to tell that the map's difficulty suddenly got much harder compared to the previous difficulty in the map. I don't know any real terminology for this kind of stuff, so I apologize for sounding extremely nooby. ;_;
Icyteru

Ekaru wrote:

I play with mouse acceleration on. Never changed. Jumps are easier with mouse acceleration lol. (For me)
Glass
it took me about a month. when I started playing I immediately started using mods on easy/normal maps and it helped quite a lot
Tom69_old
If "5 stars" (happy30 diff) counts as insane: 8 days.

If it actually has to be a moderately hard 5 star map: ~2 weeks.

1600 DPI + enabled mouse acceleration if I remember correctly.
Had about 1k plays in my first month. So 250 - 500 plays respectively. :>

I'm really glad to have youtube'd every single milestone I took in osu! since I started playing. Really helps to pull out such information. :D
Ekaru

Kinenz wrote:

By "insane" I mean when the mapper either names his difficulty "insane" or when it is easy to tell that the map's difficulty suddenly got much harder compared to the previous difficulty in the map. I don't know any real terminology for this kind of stuff, so I apologize for sounding extremely nooby. ;_;
It was an oldfag joke. ;P A ton of Insanes back then would be extremely easy by today's standards if it wasn't for their fucking tiny circles that are a son of a bitch to aim for. Hards made by mappers like James, DJPop, and Rolled were what you really wanted to play back then for a good challenge, and certain ones would even qualify as "Insanes" by today's standards.

That said, when put that way I'd guess... some months? It was so long ago. Plus I couldn't stream for crap back then, which didn't help at all.

Regardless, you're progressing at a reasonable pace. Don't worry too much about it and just keep playing hard stuff.
Burr

Lybydose wrote:

about a week or so maybe
This^ but i had like a 5k play count
Defacer
­
Tsukasa

Defacer wrote:

I knew people had problems with squares but you are the first one that I can refer to - goddamn it's the same ! - I always do strange curvy movements when squares appear because im afraid i shall be late for the next one and basically on squares i look like a complete noob, so I guess that is rly some sort of a bad habit, also I don't like to wait on circles and sliders, so I basically like fast AR and low AR makes me suffer, I just can't imagine hitting a note and then being able to stay on the same place for like 0.5 sec and can jump to the other one, I always must do rapid movements across the map without thinking or waiting
It's natural for our hands to move in a circular motion than snapping to form a square. Though you could train on doing these things but it would be quite hard
nanda2009
months..
Triskelion91
It took me a few months because when I first started, I only played easy 1-3 star songs. I was too used to the easy songs, so when I started playing the harder ones, it took me a lot longer to adapt. :cry:
CXu
4 months or something before I turned mouse accel off \o\
Then another few months before I could pass some of the easier stuff /o/
CCC
Took me about 1 month playing insane maps only
nrii_old
cant remember if i joined osu on 22nd june or 26th of june in 2010 but http://puu.sh/klM http://puu.sh/klO found these old screenshots from before i was even aevv, iirc it only took me a week or two to be doing insanes

musta been 22nd cause http://puu.sh/klK i did this hard on the 23rd
G0r
It was only a couple weeks for me too, but I sucked when I first started playing Insanes, and I only played to pass them. I believed at the time that I would only improve if I played nothing but Insanes. I tend to still think that this is a good way to begin, as long as you do reasonably well on Hards already, and are able to find Insanes that aren't terribly difficult to start with.
Kanye West
A long ass time.
bentyhunter
Well, i completely skipped doing easy and medium and went straight to hard and insane. I put this down to the fact that i'm a drummer and have been playing guitar hero on expert and DDR for years. I'm at 2.5k plays and it's only now i'm truly grasping how to play the really hard songs though. So i'd imagine 10k would be very decent for a completely new person to rhythm games seeing as it took me ages to get good at gh. Also the switch to using a tablet over mouse made me instantly better. It's all down to each individual though. Keep it up bro :)
thelewa
It took me 6 months to even be able to try Insanes

although that's when I got my tablet and I instantly became good after that, landed my first #1's soon after that and everything.
JAKACHAN
Now that everyone is discussing how long it took them. It probably took me about 1 month to pass Insanes with my mouse. Then I got a tablet and started S'ing insanes. About 3 months after I got my tablet I tried my first HD HR song ever (That Kung-Fu) one Tana has a video of and S'd that in about 10 tries and that's when I started HR HD everything.
thelewa
Long story short: get a tablet, become good instantly
Jordan
What if SiLviA gets a tablet D:
JAKACHAN

Jordan wrote:

What if SiLviA gets a tablet D:
He never will already asked him.
lolcubes

thelewa wrote:

No.
:(
Nessuka

lolcubes wrote:

thelewa wrote:

No.
:(
This was absolutely correct for me.
Tablets make you pro instantly.
nrii_old

Twilight Sparkle wrote:

This was absolutely correct for me.
Tablets make you pro instantly.
didnt work for me
Aqo
Tablet makes you pro instantly
if you were playing mouse with acceleration
CXu
Tablet made me pro instantly, therefore it will make you pro instantly.
thelewa

CXu wrote:

Tablet made me pro instantly, therefore it will make you pro instantly.
I'm glad you understand my way of thinking.

edit: After all, every single human being is the same, they all learn at the same speed and such, right?
Tom69_old

Aqo wrote:

Tablet makes you pro instantly
if you were playing mouse with acceleration
Well.... worked for me. And I used acceleration. That would make sense, as Tablet forces no-accel which is better.
Aqo
Tablet also has full area by default which is like very small DPI. Most mouse players are used to high DPI which is terribly inaccurate and hard to play with.
No accel low dpi mouse is way more accurate than tablet hands down ._.
BeatofIke
I believe it took me around 2-3 months to pass my first insane (well an easy insane XD).
I'm a mouse player and I play 400 dpi with mouse acceleration on.

Keep in mind that, every player has a different improvement rate.
For me, I'm improve at a relatively slow rate.

PS: Tablet is NOT easy to use.
Kanye West

BeatofIke wrote:

I believe it took me around 2-3 months to pass my first insane (well an easy insane XD).
I'm a mouse player and I play 400 dpi with mouse acceleration on.

Keep in mind that, every player has a different improvement rate.
For me, I'm improve at a relatively slow rate.

PS: Tablet is NOT easy to use.
I too play 400 dpi with mouse acc on and also improve at a snail's rate. Hi5 bro!
Gon
Took me like 3-4 months upon purchase of my tablet just to reach my old mouse skill level. Being left handed sucks, particularly for this game zzz. i don't even know how to play with mouse anymore (1 year's worth of experience down the drain) \o/

As for topic, a few weeks iirc. pretty sure i wasn't screwing around with mods and was working on passing as many songs as possible on a daily basis back then.
Dustice
as long as i played with mouse i barely could do hard maps...
then when i got a tablet i could do insane instantly :<
i think it was around 6000 or 7000 plays when i got the tablet : )
bentyhunter
If i didn't have my tablet i would be mediocre as heck.
enik
Hey, I'm currently at 1.5k plays and can pass some insanes on B first try. I made a huge jump from hards to insanes (like in a few hours) after disabling windows acceleration and lowering my DPI to 800 from 1600. Thanks to everyone in this thread t/91591/start=75, yours advices helped me a lot. I play mouse only.
show more