A new and fair based rating system for beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +68
show more
Kodora
Good idea, support this.

I also propose add option to disable user's rating on map if mapper wants it like it was done on youtube.

Reason why i think its needed: User's rating may be important for some mappers, and some troll downvotes may look too unfair. We cant stop people from troll downrating but we can disable user's rating at all.

Comments/suggestions please.
Royston

Kodora wrote:

Good idea, support this.

I also propose add option to disable user's rating on map if mapper wants it like it was done on youtube.

Reason why i think its needed: User's rating may be important for some mappers, and some troll downvotes may look too unfair. We cant stop people from troll downrating but we can disable user's rating at all.

Comments/suggestions please.
I don't think censorship is the answer.
Kodora
This is not "censorship", this is one of the ways how to stop troll voting 1.
Marcin
Maybe first find the reason why those people are troll voting...
Luna
If it's just a few troll votes, it'll even out soon enough.
If it's a ton of "troll" votes, there's some reason for them voting like that.
Natsu

Kodora wrote:

This is not "censorship", this is one of the ways how to stop troll voting 1.
People got different opinions if they vote 1 they got they reasons, same when some one vote 10, you make maps for all the players then all of they have they opinions about your work.

Luna wrote:

If it's just a few troll votes, it'll even out soon enough.
If it's a ton of "troll" votes, there's some reason for them voting like that.
This ^ and when you get alot of 1 you know somethink is wrong with the beatmap

bad english
Kodora
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/260734?m=0

Not sure that something really wrong with beatmap, but it downvoted too much. Probably it will be fair to consider those downvotes as trollish.
Iluya

Kodora wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/260734?m=0

Not sure that something really wrong with beatmap, but it downvoted too much. Probably it will be fair to consider those downvotes as trollish.
Well.. there you can see the problem which occures when all diffs share 1 ranking :) The ppl playing the [insert diff] will vote for theirs. And especially on diffs where the mapping style is varying much (like when all diffs are from different mappers) there is a fairly high chance you will get downvotes from one...
Kodora
bump
Chloe
votes 1 just makes no sence , it had a too high weight on the rating of map.
emonite
I wholeheartedly support this feature, most of the time shitty mapping somehow have very high ratings just because that song is from a popular anime or visual novel. Secondly:

Stefan wrote:

1-Star-Troll Votes or the I-like-the-Anime-10-Star Votes
It really destroys the "proper" ratings.
Thirdly, because of that also have really good maps that are meant to be hard as **** but got very low rating because players can't clear that map...it's unfair!
Lastly:

JappyBabes wrote:

Just make a green, yellow and red button or something.
It's easy to see and know. As simple as that!
Mira-san

JappyBabes wrote:

Just make a green, yellow and red button or something.
I agree with this.

Something like "screw that", "ok", and "good" would be better. That's how I 'rate' anyway.
agsking
This sounds like a great idea.

Personally, I have never rated a map because of the current system.

My only concern is that decent maps would be grouped with god-tier maps using this system. I would end up giving them both a thumbs up, and if everyone did the same, they would both have similar ranks.
Kodora
Let's bump it again

I believe it is time to check this feature again due to big changes on rating systems.
Redon

theowest wrote:

I want this so badly. Like and dislikes like youtube is perfect. If you're a pro youtube user, you know that likes and dislikes are better than any other 1-5/10 rating system.
Surely, you can't be serious.

I like the vote balancing idea though, it's something that's crossed my mind before.

I don't know whether "troll voters" as described in the OP were any more of a problem 3 years ago than they are now, but I find the fact that almost every beatmap is rated at ~9 stars regardless of its quality is more problematic. I'm guessing this happens because on average people only go out of their way to submit a 10 star rating for their favorite map/song, and on the other end you have the "troll voters" who feel they need to compensate for that.

The problem is not that people are offered too much of a range of votes. I believe it's just the fact that there is no drawback for trying maximize your impact on the score by picking an extreme. Reducing the votes to a matter of like/dislike would do absolutely nothing to address this problem, it would simply turn every negative vote into a 1, and every positive one into a 10.

Instead, you should not reward picking extremes, you should punish it, which is what the vote balancing idea seems to be about. I'm sure applying that idea to a 10 star system would bring better results. The more consistently a user gives out only high or only low scores, the less their vote will be weighted.

I also think part of the problem is that apparently I have to play a map precisely before I rate it? Why can't I go through my song selection and conveniently rate maps I've already played before?