forum

A new and fair based rating system for beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +68
show more
theowest

GladiOol wrote:

Oh wow people are still posting in this. In my opinion the rating system should be completely banned because it doesn't even give the slightest reflection of the beatmap's quality.
You have a very good point there.

but then again, like and dislike is the simplest way to judge a beatmap, if a way to judge a beatmap should be present.
Yatalu
So... a couple of thoughts here from my side. (Though I have to admit, it's nearly 2AM here and I'm tired, so didn't read the thread entirely.)

Was discussing the ranking system with theowest in irc some, he referred me to this thread as we got some pretty conclusions (or I at least think we do).

To my experience, most normal users in osu! play this for fun and don't really think their rating through, unless they have a experience in modding/mapping and can underbuild their opinion properly and all - though that is a minority, let's be honest.
People - I admit, I was like that until I started mapping - often just rate songs because they want to continue to the next song or because they want to go do something else. That rating screen is just one extra that pops up (and to some people also annoys).

Therefore, I was thinking that, additionally to liking-disliking (which I think is SURELY enough for people who're not professional - professionals should've modded the map before it got ranked c;) discussed in this thread, the rating system should also be separated.

What do I mean by this?
I think it should not pop up when you get your score chart at the end of your song. Instead, it could for instance be placed with the local scores. The way it seems to me that the people who do vote, are at least slightly more behind their like/dislike, as they put a mere 2 seconds of thinking in it, more than what they would've otherwise.

Also, another question might be: how many times to vote?
After all, people could save their votes up by playing it a lot of times and then get quite some impact by voting all their votes. I don't think anything's wrong with giving people the amount of votes same as the amount of times finishing the song, as long as there is for example a 2 minute buffer in between every vote.

Apart from that. I personally also do agree with separate voting per difficulty~ Though it should be taken in account of one diff got a lot more votes than another, rather than just taking the average of the diffs.
theowest
I agree. However I think it shouldn't be in locals replays but just something you must unlock. You cannot vote if you haven't fully played it (like usual) but instead, outside the replay screen. People must notice it, or else the beatmap won't get enough votes.

I'm thinking of having like/dislike buttons instead of the user rating until you actually rate it (pressing one of the buttons). But when you haven't fully played it yet, it will remain greyed out and not possible to click. Ratings already displayed can affect your opinion.

JappyBabes

RandomJibberish wrote:

Ratings will always suck, since most people rate for the song/mapper/NotaniNiSmapness rather than the actual map. We are moving to Like/Meh/Dislike system at some point though AFAIK - Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:12 pm (over 1 year ago)
Don't see why this is taking so long.

theowest wrote:

but then again, like and dislike is the simplest way to judge a beatmap, if a way to judge a beatmap should be present.
I'd say Bad/OK/Good would make more sense. If you implement just like and dislike it'll be almost same as current system where everything is 10 stars. Just make a green, yellow and red button or something. e.e
YodaSnipe
I agree with JappyBabes on this. +1
BeatofIke
This ^
Tshemmp

JappyBabes wrote:

Just make a green, yellow and red button or something.
Yeah!
Stefan
Bumping that.

I personally would find it better to change the current Map Rating System as Like/Dislike System. 10 Stars are a quite big selection where many people often picks the wrong Rating. And I don't mean the 1-Star-Troll Votes or the I-like-the-Anime-10-Star Votes but these where people have played one Diff and judging it by only this Diff.

However, it's pretty dumb that if you give a Map six Stars that it still counts as positive.

It makes way more sense to say "I like it." or "I don't like it." instead of "Yeah maybe 8 Stars because xyz and abc.". And since some people are whining about every Rating under nine Stars it would be just the best to change it to a Like/Dislike System. OR to change it from 10 Stars to 5. At least you can say to five Stars great, to four good, to three okay, to two not so good and to one bad. How people judge the Map is subjective but I find it currently in that way bad how it is.
Full Tablet

Stefan wrote:

Bumping that.

I personally would find it better to change the current Map Rating System as Like/Dislike System. 10 Stars are a quite big selection where many people often picks the wrong Rating. And I don't mean the 1-Star-Troll Votes or the I-like-the-Anime-10-Star Votes but these where people have played one Diff and judging it by only this Diff.

However, it's pretty dumb that if you give a Map six Stars that it still counts as positive.

It makes way more sense to say "I like it." or "I don't like it." instead of "Yeah maybe 8 Stars because xyz and abc.". And since some people are whining about every Rating under nine Stars it would be just the best to change it to a Like/Dislike System. OR to change it from 10 Stars to 5. At least you can say to five Stars great, to four good, to three okay, to two not so good and to one bad. How people judge the Map is subjective but I find it currently in that way bad how it is.
There should be at least 3 options, one for disliking, one for liking, and other for being indifferent about the map (equivalent to 5.5 stars in the 1-10 ranking system), that way you can still vote even if you didn't find the map anything special.

The problem here is that it seems that most people who vote positively vote 10 (even if the map wasn't awesome for them), since any other rating is considered bad.

A solution would be weighting each player's votes based on how they tend to vote for maps.

Examples:

Player A: 120 10-star ratings, 10 1-star ratings. (average: 9.3076923) (standard deviation: 2.407502).
10 Star ratings are 0.2876*StandardDeviation apart from the average.
Each 10-star rating therefore is weighted as: = 0.226 of a vote.
1 Star ratings are 3.45075*StandardDeviation apart from the average. Each 1-star vote is then considered as 0.999 of a vote.

Player B: 120 10-star ratings, 30 1-star ratings (average: 8.2 StandardDeviation:3.6121)
10-star ratings are worth 0.382 of a vote.
1-star ratings are worth 0.954 of a vote.

Player C: 10 1-star, 60 5-star, 40 7-star, 20 10-star- (Average 6.077 StandardDeviation: 2.2777)
1-star votes are worth 0.974
5-star votes are worth 0.364
7-star votes are worth 0.315
10-star votes are worth 0.915

Player D: 500 1-star, 1 10-star. Average: 1.017964. StandardDeviation: 0.40209
1-star votes are worth 0.036 of a vote.
10-star votes are worth 1 of a vote.

Player E: 100 1-star, 100 10-star. Average: 5.5 Standard Deviation: 4.51129
Each vote is worth 0.681 of a vote.

Player F: 100 2-star, 100 9-star. Average: 5.5 StandardDeviation: 3.50878.
Each vote is also worth 0.681 of a vote.
Stefan
For that I would perfer the 5-Star-Rating-System. Giving a Map three Stars would be like saying "Okay, the map is fine but nothing special imo."
Kodora
Good idea, support this.

I also propose add option to disable user's rating on map if mapper wants it like it was done on youtube.

Reason why i think its needed: User's rating may be important for some mappers, and some troll downvotes may look too unfair. We cant stop people from troll downrating but we can disable user's rating at all.

Comments/suggestions please.
Royston

Kodora wrote:

Good idea, support this.

I also propose add option to disable user's rating on map if mapper wants it like it was done on youtube.

Reason why i think its needed: User's rating may be important for some mappers, and some troll downvotes may look too unfair. We cant stop people from troll downrating but we can disable user's rating at all.

Comments/suggestions please.
I don't think censorship is the answer.
Kodora
This is not "censorship", this is one of the ways how to stop troll voting 1.
Marcin
Maybe first find the reason why those people are troll voting...
Luna
If it's just a few troll votes, it'll even out soon enough.
If it's a ton of "troll" votes, there's some reason for them voting like that.
Natsu

Kodora wrote:

This is not "censorship", this is one of the ways how to stop troll voting 1.
People got different opinions if they vote 1 they got they reasons, same when some one vote 10, you make maps for all the players then all of they have they opinions about your work.

Luna wrote:

If it's just a few troll votes, it'll even out soon enough.
If it's a ton of "troll" votes, there's some reason for them voting like that.
This ^ and when you get alot of 1 you know somethink is wrong with the beatmap

bad english
Kodora
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/260734?m=0

Not sure that something really wrong with beatmap, but it downvoted too much. Probably it will be fair to consider those downvotes as trollish.
Iluya

Kodora wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/260734?m=0

Not sure that something really wrong with beatmap, but it downvoted too much. Probably it will be fair to consider those downvotes as trollish.
Well.. there you can see the problem which occures when all diffs share 1 ranking :) The ppl playing the [insert diff] will vote for theirs. And especially on diffs where the mapping style is varying much (like when all diffs are from different mappers) there is a fairly high chance you will get downvotes from one...
Kodora
bump
Chloe
votes 1 just makes no sence , it had a too high weight on the rating of map.
emonite
I wholeheartedly support this feature, most of the time shitty mapping somehow have very high ratings just because that song is from a popular anime or visual novel. Secondly:

Stefan wrote:

1-Star-Troll Votes or the I-like-the-Anime-10-Star Votes
It really destroys the "proper" ratings.
Thirdly, because of that also have really good maps that are meant to be hard as **** but got very low rating because players can't clear that map...it's unfair!
Lastly:

JappyBabes wrote:

It's easy to see and know. As simple as that!
Mira-san

JappyBabes wrote:

I agree with this.

Something like "screw that", "ok", and "good" would be better. That's how I 'rate' anyway.
agsking
This sounds like a great idea.

Personally, I have never rated a map because of the current system.

My only concern is that decent maps would be grouped with god-tier maps using this system. I would end up giving them both a thumbs up, and if everyone did the same, they would both have similar ranks.
Kodora
Let's bump it again

I believe it is time to check this feature again due to big changes on rating systems.