forum

Hardcore Newbie Mafia. (Mafia Win!)

posted
Total Posts
show more
DeathxShinigami
rust45 was lynched day 1 in the previous game hosted by NoHItter. He was town. Yet it was his usage of words that haunted him in the end that got him lynched. Like me, he was one of the first to create a statement so he could get responses back like you did for mine.

With nothing for me to lead on at the end of the first day out of three. I guess we will have to wait and see what other players do in the next hours.
NoHitter
First of, since RVS is basically harmful now as you can only vote once, let's start of with RQS instead.

Questions:

1) What is your preferred/ favorite role and why?
2) Would you lynch lurkers?
3) In lynching people, do you use your gut mostly, or do you analyze the situation?
4) Do you believe in the usage of meta? (Basically using other games as a reference)

My Answers
1) I prefer roles with interactions with other players outside of the thread - don't care about the faction. Masons, scum, etc.
2) Lurking is a null tell. Mods should replace them. Unless they say that they would prefer to lurk on purpose, and give nothing helpful to town. Doing that is anti-town, and thus a FoS from me.
3) I would use my gut to point to the right direction, and analysis to prove it, but sometimes I can't avoid using more of gut than analysis.
4) No. Meta may be helpful for players with consistent play-styles, but people can change play-styles anytime, therefore I think meta is unreliable.

Now about what has happened so far:
FoS: animask for role-fishing this early in the game. You do not want the cop/doctor to out themselves the first day. Only scum would want power roles (cop/doctor) to out themselves, so they can target them for a kill. Oh and for the "I love messing with you guys" quote.

Minor FoS: DxS too. First of all you tunneled bmin with no evidence at all. Then you go around claiming that you were "Bluffing".

Incidentally, can we have less fluff (not related to the game at all) posts? They're really distracting.
rust45

DeathxShinigami wrote:

rust45 was lynched day 1 in the previous game hosted by NoHItter. He was town. Yet it was his usage of words that haunted him in the end that got him lynched. Like me, he was one of the first to create a statement so he could get responses back like you did for mine.
I wouldn't use myself as a reference. I kinda sucked it up in that game.

But anyway, rolefishing is certainly suspicious even if you're new. People should know that auxs need to be protective.
FoS on animask for now. Got my eye on DxS as well as he seems to be talking a lot. But he could just be a vocal townie.
Ph0X

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Link to that thread, please? I am interested.

DeathxShinigami wrote:

With nothing for me to lead on at the end of the first day out of three. I guess we will have to wait and see what other players do in the next hours.
You making this statement is suspicious. You're stating the obvious, but in a weird way, and in a way which deters attention from yourself.

NoHItter wrote:

Vanilla Townie, because I have little pressure to hide myself and tons of pressure to find scum. =D

NoHItter wrote:

Not at all. Lurking is an important aspect of Mafia, I believe. It's a play style, so let players choose to lurk if they wish.

NoHItter wrote:

3) In lynching people, do you use your gut mostly, or do you analyze the situation?
I pick up clues and build a case about them base on my gut feeling of those clues. Basically, various details creates a tunnel vision for me, and I find excuses to make that tunnel work. ;P

NoHItter wrote:

4) Do you believe in the usage of meta? (Basically using other games as a reference)
I'm fine with using it to bring parallels to games without concerning characters (like DxS did above), but I find it somewhat sketchy if someone defends themselves or attacks another using character meta of themselves or some other player ("this player acted the same way in this other game, and they were scum!").

NoHItter wrote:

FoS: animask for role-fishing this early in the game. You do not want the cop/doctor to out themselves the first day. Only scum would want power roles (cop/doctor) to out themselves, so they can target them for a kill. Oh and for the "I love messing with you guys" quote.
A doctor may want to find out who the cop is to protect them. That's quite a stretch for day one though.
Mashley
Hooray, a questionnaire...

Anything that can kill... killing is fun :>

Not immediately, but I would question them.

Well I guess I try to analyse but I'm a crappy player so it often ends up gut-based

I don't use it, but I'm fine if people do.
DeathxShinigami
1) What is your preferred/ favorite role and why? I haven't been many different roles but any that can have an ability besides being a random townie.
2) Would you lynch lurkers? Probably not. Someone who is a bit more outspoken however usually winds up being voted upon by me though.
3) In lynching people, do you use your gut mostly, or do you analyze the situation? Usually analyze but most of the time I've been wrong when it comes to the end so I use a mix of both.
4) Do you believe in the usage of meta? (Basically using other games as a reference) Helps build character upon later games but usually it's not that important.
Sleep Powder
Questions:

I don't really know how any of the roles work yet.

Only if some crazy thing with chances and process of elimination comes up.

Analyze, but since its never really certain I'd have to use my "gut" too.

Sounds like something I could use if I've played other games.

Analyzing Myself this feels funnier than you think

Why I would want to scope out for aux roles...

[*] Mafia role. Looking for a good kill on the first turn.
[*] Looking to see which set of roles we have in general.
[*] I could be the Doctor looking for the Cop to protect.
[*] I could be the Cop trying to lure myself while thinking the Doctor will try to protect me.
[*] I could be a townie trying to see if there really is another Doctor/Cop.
[*] I could be trying to seem like a Mafia to protect myself from the real Mafia.
[*] I could be a townie trying to use myself as bait so some aux role can be protected.
[*] I could be the Cop trying to lure in some suspects with my critical first move.
[*] I could be the Mafia-Roleblocker trying to find out who they are and trying to make them think I'm a townie/Doctor/Cop.

Some of these can be flipped for either side.
Ph0X

animask wrote:

[*] I could be a townie trying to use myself as bait so some aux role can be protected.
These are illogical reasons.

animask wrote:

[*] I could be the Cop trying to lure in some suspects with my critical first move.
And with the 50% chance that the Mafia has a roleblocker, you're taking a huge risk.

DxS, you didn't respond to my inquiry.
Ph0X
iMuffin, what do you think about animask's actions?
DeathxShinigami

Ph0X wrote:

Whoops.

Anyways here
bmin11
Cop. I like how it's role confirms the innocent and guilty
Nope. I think they are lurking because of their position (cop/doc). It's likely to be a mafia, but I want to wait for the cop to find them first.
I...... don't know yet. Right now, I want to be analytic. I've seen townies being lynched due to their (bad) comments
I share the same opinion with Ph0X
Ph0X

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Ph0X wrote:

Whoops.

Anyways here
Thanks.

DeathxShinigami wrote:

rust45 was lynched day 1 in the previous game hosted by NoHItter. He was town. Yet it was his usage of words that haunted him in the end that got him lynched.
Okay. I disagree, but I can see how you (and other players of that game) came to that conclusion.

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Like me, he was one of the first to create a statement so he could get responses back like you did for mine.
I don't understand. How were you the first? How was rust45 the first? And what does being first matter? How can you compare yourself to rust45? I don't see any similarities.
Sleep Powder
Learn from your mistakes from last time.

Don't lynch me on the first turn.

lol I need exp in mafia
DeathxShinigami
I meant one of the first to dive into the game... <o<

But yeah this hardcore newbie mafia sure is making the atmosphere here hectic...
Mashley
Siggggghhh I really want to vote animask... not sure if that's because he's genuinely suspicious or just really annoying.
Ph0X

animask wrote:

Learn from your mistakes from last time.

Don't lynch me on the first turn.

lol I need exp in mafia
Do you really like making yourself look more suspicious?

DeathxShinigami wrote:

I meant one of the first to dive into the game... <o<
Now it's "one of"? And who cares?

DeathxShinigami wrote:

But yeah this hardcore newbie mafia sure is making the atmosphere here hectic...
How so? This seems like a normal game to me so far (minus RVS). Maybe it's because I'm making you sweat. ;P
DeathxShinigami
Fair enough, nothing more to say about my incident then.
Ph0X
May be out for a few days; moving California, USA. Hopefully I can hop on by the weekend.
rust45
Haven't played enough mafia to really form an opinion, but I like to have some sort of an ability.

Only if they don't respond to questions asked.

I kinda suck, but I try to analyze, but go mainly with gut.

I don't care really, as long as it not used a crutch for an argument.

Ph0X wrote:

animask wrote:

These are illogical reasons.
I completely agree
Quaraezha
Sorry for being inactive.

[Townie]
I find it difficult to blend in when I'm Mafia.
Also to convince others when I'm a Power Role.

Maybe, but based from my experiences, the ones who lurk are, most of the time, Power Roles.
Otherwise, they're Mafia or Townie.

Mostly on my guts, but I try to understand the situation too, since that's important.

It protected me in the previous Mafia Game (by NoHItter)
It also ended up me being lynched (as Mafia)
So it's pretty useful.
iMuffin
sorry i'm posting so late, been kinda busy anyway first things first.

my favorite role would have to be a doctor because i like the feeling i get when a night kill is unsuccessful because of me.
if they had no good reasons to lurk? then yes.
I'll go with my gut on the first day usually but after that i really start paying attention to what everyone is posting.
I believe it can be used but it is to be used with discretion because some people act differently in every game

and also FoS on Animask for day 1 role fishing and a minor FoS on NoHitter and DxS NoHitter because of the questionnaire seems just a bit suspicious(even though i answered it lol) and DxS because he seems to be saying alot of confusing nonsense sometimes.
NoHitter
RQS (a.k.a. the "questionnaire") helps start discussion. Especially since we shouldn't RVS. No changing of votes FTL.
The deadline around 30 hours from now (which is very near). I think we need to tally the votes soon.
As opposed to just chucking the votes and not being able to change them, I suggest we tell first who we want lynched. (Sort of a pseudo-voting)

Although DxS and animask has been kind of suspicious as I've said before. A particular comment for Mashley has been pinging me more.

Mashley wrote:

Siggggghhh I really want to vote animask... not sure if that's because he's genuinely suspicious or just really annoying.
What Mashley said IMO, seems like a preemptive notion to jump on a possible animask bandwagon later. I find this suspicious as townies shouldn't even think of focusing their mind on a single target. Not to mention my gut has jumped on this too.

Therefore, I would like to have Mashley lynched.
Mashley
Well we've got to lynch someone, and animasks language to me at least seemed more than a little odd. That statement was more of a badly worded FOS than anything.
Sleep Powder
Pseudo-voting, eh?

I have been suspicious of DxS and Ph0x since they both posted their ideas of my motives.

So its possible that I will be voting for one of the two.

Also, I just realized that posting anything for information gets people suspicious here.
Then again, I don't think lurking is very fun. What to do?
DeathxShinigami
Sorry animask, your defense isn't cutting it anymore. While you run in circles since you wanted to bring in roleclaiming in day 1 you still have yet to evade your own suspicions as well.

Sounds REALLY fishy especially on the last part of day 1. HM...
Mashley
Alright, after thinking this through a bit more I think it's time to vote animask. The things he's said just seem so not-town-like, I'm sure someone can explain this better. It just seems a lot of people are waiting for someone to vote, and I guess I'm somewhat 'breaking the ice'.
Sleep Powder
Vote: Mashley

Siding with the townies too easily.

You must be mafia.

I'm prepared for a bandwagon vote on myself.

If so, I'm roleclaiming.
bmin11

animask wrote:

If so, I'm roleclaiming.
I'm still holding my HoS (Hand of Suspicionon) on animask, because claiming to be a cop/doc would make...

animask wrote:

First, are there any Cops or Doctors here?
this comment look more then nonesense. The impression I'm getting from this looks like a last struggle of a mafia.

Any thoughts on this, everyone?
bmin11
Oh and about Mashley, I can see where NoHitter is going. However, animask does look suspicious from his comments and his latest one as well. Also, it more or less just looked like a mild (light? lack of vocabulary orz) post of opinion rather then trying to convince us to vote animask right away. I respect your thought, just not the right timing I guess
DeathxShinigami
Wow animask really? Role claiming to save yourself yet you ask everyone to claim cop or doctor at the start of the game?

I'm amazed it's coming to this but I'm holding my vote til the end of Day 1.
DeathxShinigami
Screw this, Day 1 is ending soon.

Without a further adeiu...

Vote: animask
Ph0X

NoHItter wrote:

Although DxS and animask has been kind of suspicious as I've said before. A particular comment for Mashley has been pinging me more.

Mashley wrote:

What Mashley said IMO, seems like a preemptive notion to jump on a possible animask bandwagon later. I find this suspicious as townies shouldn't even think of focusing their mind on a single target. Not to mention my gut has jumped on this too.
I can see how you can come to that conclusion, NoHItter. However, I think Mashley's indecision was due to getting mixed messages about animask, not his unwillingness to vote (or a plan to bandwagon later and use that post as reasoning, as you suggest). Not to say you're wrong, of course; I just interpreted Mashley's post differently when I first read it.

DxS, thoughts on this?

animask wrote:

I have been suspicious of DxS and Ph0x since they both posted their ideas of my motives.

So its possible that I will be voting for one of the two.
Can you explain what "posted their ideas of my motives" means? I'm having a hard time understanding that English.

animask wrote:

Also, I just realized that posting anything for information gets people suspicious here.
Then again, I don't think lurking is very fun. What to do?
You play. You may look suspicious for having asked for a claim or two right off the bat. However, that shouldn't stop you from playing the game and doing your best to fulfill your role's duties. TL;DR move on.

DeathxShinigami wrote:

While you run in circles since you wanted to bring in roleclaiming in day 1 you still have yet to evade your own suspicions as well.
I can't understand this statement at all. Can you rephrase it?

animask wrote:

Vote: Mashley

Siding with the townies too easily.

You must be mafia.
(Formatting removed from quote.)

Who exactly are the townies? How do you know he's not a townie being influenced by the mafia? How does "siding with the townies" turn into "must be mafia"?

animask wrote:

If so, I'm roleclaiming.
Think for a minute. What would that accomplish? (Trying to help you out here, as you're clearly a newbie player.)

bmin11 wrote:

I'm still holding my HoS (Hand of Suspicionon) on animask, because claiming to be a cop/doc would make...

animask wrote:

First, are there any Cops or Doctors here?
this comment look more then nonesense.
Review animask's (mostly complete) list of scenarios.

iMuffin, you did not yet respond to my question directed at you earlier. You stated a FoS, but do you have anything else to add (especially given his most recent posts)?

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Wow animask really? Role claiming to save yourself yet you ask everyone to claim cop or doctor at the start of the game?
It seems to me you're just looking for an easy and popular vote/bandwagon.

Also, I just realized days are but three days. Seems quite short; I can imagine that being really painful later on. Mod, can you extend Day 1 24 hours? Otherwise, I think players will be very pressured to vote, which IMO will turn out badly at this point. If not, that's completely fine and acceptable.
bmin11
I also agree with Ph0X with day extention. We need more people to share their thoughts before we vote :<
DeathxShinigami
I rushed cause Day 1 was going to end during my morning when I probably won't be up in time to check everything and make my vote then.

@Ph0x if we get an extension I'll elaborate more.

@Lady Would like an extension as well.
Ph0X

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Why not now? If we kill you tonight I won't be able to get one.
DeathxShinigami

Ph0X wrote:

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Why not now? If we kill you tonight I won't be able to get one.
Jeez...not giving me any wiggle room eh? ;p

Well, what I mean about animask is his generic behavior, he went on before he voted for mashley that'll he roleclaim his role if it comes down to him being lynched. Doesn't that just seem fishy?

Also, Mashley just responded the questions the way he responded them and animask is using that to tie into why he's voting for mashley. Just seems evasive to me but who knows.
Ph0X

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Well, what I mean about animask is his generic behavior, he went on before he voted for mashley that'll he roleclaim his role if it comes down to him being lynched. Doesn't that just seem fishy?
Yes; I already commented on that. It seems to support more animask being a newb townie not knowing how to play than he being a wreckless mafia member.

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Also, Mashley just responded the questions the way he responded them and animask is using that to tie into why he's voting for mashley. Just seems evasive to me but who knows.
I'm really having a hard time understand what you write, DxS... What you just said was pretty tautological.
Topic Starter
LadySuburu
Day 1 has been extended |48| hours, and the rules for day lengths has been appended.

Due to the change in length of days, all votes have been reset.

This won't happen again, mainly because I'm only doing this so I can change my day length rules for future games right now.
DeathxShinigami
I can sleep in peace!

@Ph0x In the morning I swear, it's just my sloppy typing style.
Ph0X

LadySuburu wrote:

Day 1 has been extended |48| hours, and the rules for day lengths has been appended.

Due to the change in length of days, all votes have been reset.

This won't happen again, mainly because I'm only doing this so I can change my day length rules for future games right now.
Cool; thanks!
show more