forum

The osu! Monthly #1

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
A small group of osu! players have been working hard to release the first official osu! newsletter. Head over and read it while it's hot! The team is looking at releasing this newsletter on a monthly basis.
Andrea
That's something really cool.

Good job guys, keep up the good work :)
Colin Hou
sounds good
Fight69
Indeed, sounds really good

Good job ! ;)
Ekaru
I'm excited to see where this goes.

And yeah, the user increase is surprising but welcome. I think it has some small MMOs beat now.
lepidopodus
Interesting, official newsletter?

EDIT: lol I see baka arken.
Galkan
Sounds interesting, I'll be more than happy to read such things :P
Krisom
This seems cool, I'd be more than happy to help with interviews if needed.
Sakura
This looks pretty good, I like this
Natteke
Great idea! I've sent some questions for peppy's interview already :P
Vish024
Looks promising, maybe if it turns out well we can have it in different languages too.
Claudia_old
holy crap, that was awesome.

nice job, guys!
Sleep Powder
This looks really interesting! There's a lot of fun features that you could add to the newsletter as well.
Krisom

animask wrote:

There's a lot of fun features that you could add to the newsletter as well.
osu!doku
=w=
Lesjuh

Krisom wrote:

animask wrote:

There's a lot of fun features that you could add to the newsletter as well.
osu!doku
=w=
hahaha I don't know why but I lol'd xD
dNextGen
cool :)

hope to see some kind of Player revision though

like the best player of the year or etc
jjrocks
Thanks for all the positive feedback and suggestions everyone, it was a nice surprise to wake up and see this was sent out as an announcement. I also want to thank blissfulyoshi, james2250, Cyclone, ztrot, and others making small last minute changes we couldn't have done it without them <3
mikhe
coool
Card N'FoRcE
OMG my avatar.

Anyway, nice idea :D

EDIT: not that i hate that avatar or something, but it would be better to use my classic avatar (because i used that one for my "random day avatar changing"), is it possible to edit the document? :x
James2250
Glad to see it all got finished

Good job :D
SapphireGhost
Hm~
This was pretty good, actually. Excited to hear about how more users are coming and stuff...
If I did have to criticize it would be that I have developed a dislike for Cambria due to it being the default font for some computers. I personally would have chosen something like Palatino. (But that's just me)
Anyway, good articles! Hope to see the Monthly #2 come out sometime... next month.
blissfulyoshi
Good job and congratulations!

Just wondering, is this newsletter going going to be sent out to our e-mails in later editions? That is probably the most effective way to get people to read it imo.

No matter what you do, keep up the good work and good luck for next month.
OzzyOzrock
Ooh, pretty cool. :O
deadbeat
not bad guys :D
looking forward to the next issue
Hanyuu
very good idea :D i like to read news on what is going on about osu~
Gens

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Good job and congratulations!

Just wondering, is this newsletter going going to be sent out to our e-mails in later editions? That is probably the most effective way to get people to read it imo.
[x] "Yes, I want to recieve "The osu! Monthly" newsletters"

Yeah, I completely agree.

And good job to all the editors, it certainly looks interesting for the future.
jjrocks

SapphireGhost wrote:

Hm~
If I did have to criticize it would be that I have developed a dislike for Cambria due to it being the default font for some computers. I personally would have chosen something like Palatino. (But that's just me)
Anyway, good articles! Hope to see the Monthly #2 come out sometime... next month.
I'll experiment with some fonts for the next issue and see what fits best

blissfulyoshi wrote:

We actually brought this up within the last meeting. We decided not to do it for this issue but I'll definitely bring it up in the next meeting of ours and discuss the possibilities of us doing this for future newsletters.
Musty
nice idea btw!
GladiOol
Next time other news please D:
All this news is just being posted under Official News in osu!.. that's not really 'news' O:
Mara

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Huge support! Gotta start reading this.
Topic Starter
peppy

SapphireGhost wrote:

I have developed a dislike for Cambria due to it being the default font for some computers.
I chose the font. If you can actually specify problems with it other than "I don't like it" then go for it. Else don't complain. The only serif alternatives are Droid or Times New Roman. Trust me that neither are more legible.

Also it is never the "default" font, unless you are talking about the font that is used inside a specific office application, maybe?
Aqua
Go On like this! :)
Ever 14
Sounds interesting.
I hope next one can have some more stuff.
Sallad4ever
+support

though I'm agree with Gladi that some of the news are already posted in official news in osu!
but this is still the first edition so I'll wait for the next edition with greater anticipation :D

Keep up the good work everyone~
mekadon_old
Some interesting stuff here!!

also jj, put current osu! gossips now in the next issue!! XDXDXDXDXD Can I be an editor as well? :3
0bj3c7i0n
Gwosh, this is awesome.

I don't keep up with osu! enough, and this is just the thing that I can read in the morning when I'm not busy.

Thanks guy's.
Miu Matsuoka
Oh Good Job!! :)
Loved this.
Kurai
Yeah, good job :3
Kodoshi
Interesting, interesting, interesting!
arien666

lepidopodus wrote:

EDIT: lol I see baka arken.
/me eats lepidon

Interesting anyway :3
SapphireGhost

peppy wrote:

SapphireGhost wrote:

I have developed a dislike for Cambria due to it being the default font for some computers.
I chose the font. If you can actually specify problems with it other than "I don't like it" then go for it. Else don't complain. The only serif alternatives are Droid or Times New Roman. Trust me that neither are more legible.

Also it is never the "default" font, unless you are talking about the font that is used inside a specific office application, maybe?
That must be it. Sorry for complaining :(
eddieee
dkun for president fuck yeahhhhhhhh
Nekoroll
As a forewarning, I'm not threadcrapping or anything, just merely making suggestions if the staff wants to consider it.

If you plan on keeping it 3-4 pages long with 1 inch margins all around then the format you're using seems fine, I suppose (one-column without teasers on main page). However, if you plan on making things longer or with more articles, preferably issues containing main articles (like the peppy interview) perhaps you could consider using a larger paper format more suitable to a portable newspaper with three columns.

A2 format might be okay if you're looking for some SRS NEWSPAPER ACTION. A3 sounds like a decent step down @ 16.5" x 11.7" but if decimals scare you, you can always just use tabloid size @ 11" x 17". That's the same size as two horizontal letter-sized sheets of paper stacked on top of each other and should be easy enough to work with.

When using a slightly larger paper size with ~3 columns, it means more content gets pushed onto the pages earlier and will likely retain attention a lot better than going down a one-column newsletter for what seems like forever. Also, the bigger the paper size, the more margin space you can include to avoid making things look too cluttered or like a mass of text. The smaller the paper size, the more you may have to compromise between making it look like a mass of text (if you have a lot of content) or your strict 10th grade English essay format that had to have 1 inch margins, double spacing and the silly little obligatory Works Cited portion at the end.

Also, if you do plan on evolving the newsletter into a newspaper of sorts, I would highly suggest turning one of your many (6 out of 9? lol) editors into a typesetter to (aesthetically) use various fitting fonts for the headliners and body and to layout all the articles. I'll leave you all to bicker about font choices even though technically newspapers use many different kinds and don't just settle on one.

Overall though, you all did well. Although I don't know if it justified sitting hours at a time in a locked vent channel...

Edit: Man, what a super thorough 300th post.
Koro999
A very thoughtful and insightful 300th post.

Good job on the newspaper. I sent some sort of "application" in hopes of helping out. If you need typesetters I can help with that.
Soaprman
Add a column where someone plays the "grouchy old man" and complains about every new feature that makes its way into osu!. Or maybe a "letters to the editor" section where we can send in idiotic angry letters.
jjrocks
Oh wow, that's a lot of text to read, let's see....

Nekoroll wrote:

A2 format might be okay if you're looking for some SRS NEWSPAPER ACTION.
A3 sounds like a decent step down @ 16.5" x 11.7" but if decimals scare you, you can always just use tabloid size @ 11" x 17". That's the same size as two horizontal letter-sized sheets of paper stacked on top of each other and should be easy enough to work with.
A2 actually isn't supported by google docs but I was thinking of moving to A3 or tabloid size further down the road.

Nekoroll wrote:

Also, if you do plan on evolving the newsletter into a newspaper of sorts, I would highly suggest turning one of your many (6 out of 9? lol) editors into a typesetter to (aesthetically) use various fitting fonts for the headliners and body and to layout all the articles. I'll leave you all to bicker about font choices even though technically newspapers use many different kinds and don't just settle on one.
We'll look into this, but currently we're kind of limited by the amount of fonts that google docs has. As for a typesetter I'll bring it up in the next meeting.

Nekoroll wrote:

Overall though, you all did well. Although I don't know if it justified sitting hours at a time in a locked vent channel...
Fun times, fun times....

Kururu-chan wrote:

I sent some sort of "application" in hopes of helping out. If you need typesetters I can help with that.
Make sure you put the email in correctly because I haven't received your application yet.
Deif
I really liked it! Also, Peppy interview should be recorded and uploaded to Youtube too :P

An idea: Can this newsletter be translated to the most popular languages used in osu! comunity? Not all the people I know here speaks/understands English perfectly. I can do the Spanish translation for the next newsletter, if you want~
Tatsuo

jjrocks wrote:

Nekoroll wrote:

Fun times, fun times....
Fun times? x_x

I like all the support we are getting. So much motivation.
jjrocks

Deif wrote:

An idea: Can this newsletter be translated to the most popular languages used in osu! comunity? Not all the people I know here speaks/understands English perfectly. I can do the Spanish translation for the next newsletter, if you want~
Suggested multiple times, we wanted to see what the reaction was before we got a large team on board for translation, since it's pretty positive we will definitely consider adding some translators for the popular languages.
Nadina120
i like this xD