forum

What is the main component of streaming?

posted
Total Posts

What is the main component of streaming?

Tapping
76.77%
Aim
23.23%
Total votes: 99
Topic Starter
B1rd
What's your opinion? Last thread got a little bit off topic, so here's a dedicated thread.
Endaris
Polls fail to reveal truth about things that can be discussed with proper arguments and examples.
I should open a poll whether 1+1 is 7 or 4.
Mahogany
This isn't really relevant to what we're arguing about in the thread, tbh. I understood it as we were more debating whether streaming actually required aim. >which it does<

Aim is more core to streaming than your tapping. If your aim is off, it'll make your tapping worthless, and you'll instadie. If your tapping is off, your aim is still having an impact and you might still survive the stream.
Yuudachi-kun
I also think aiming is the core skill when it comes to streaming. Core, in this case, meaning main skill required for keeping combo.

If you want to put it in layers then I'm saying tapping -> aim -> tapping where the innermost layer is literally being able to press two buttons in alternate succession at a certain bpm. The second and most important layer is aim where, without which, you cannot hit a single note making your tapping useless. The third and last layer is tapping well which basically means high acc.
Endaris

Mahogany wrote:

This isn't really relevant to what we're arguing about in the thread, tbh. I understood it as we were more debating whether streaming actually required aim. >which it does<

Aim is more core to streaming than your tapping. If your aim is off, it'll make your tapping worthless, and you'll instadie. If your tapping is off, your aim is still having an impact and you might still survive the stream.
What defines a stream?
Being hard to aim?
Are consecutive 1/4 that are perfectly stacked(=no stack leniency) still streams?
Yuudachi-kun

Endaris wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

What defines a stream?
Being hard to aim?
Are consecutive 1/4 that are perfectly stacked(=no stack leniency) still streams?
I don't think stacked 1/4's are streams. If they are, they're barely streams. Example, if you had a map where streams were 9 notes each as straight lines going through the map. Change each of those lines of streams to stacks and you almost have jumps, essentially.

Are triples streams? Are only triples that are not stacked streams?
Mahogany
Stream = Consecutive series of notes that are generally 1/4th, but can be other types depending on the bpm of the map. I'd generally say it's required to be 5 notes or longer, as most people call anything below that "Doubles, Triples" and "Quads" instead. They're also reasonably spaced.

If they're stacked, they're called stacks, not streams.
Topic Starter
B1rd

Endaris wrote:

Polls fail to reveal truth about things that can be discussed with proper arguments and examples.
I should open a poll whether 1+1 is 7 or 4.
It was exactly what it was about, me refuting the statement that 'streaming is aim'. I said that streaming does require aim in some form but tapping is the main component. People tend to complicate issues so I just wanted to simplify it a bit.

By the way, streaming stacks is still called streaming, not stacking or anything else.
Endaris
Ha, problem solved, we have different definitions of streaming.
Therefore there's no actual disagreement just different definitions.
//thread.
Mahogany

B1rd wrote:

It was exactly what it was about, me refuting the statement that 'streaming is aim'. I said that streaming does require aim in some form but tapping is the main component. People tend to complicate issues so I just wanted to simplify it a bit.
You'll never hit the notes if your aim is wrong, though, regardless of whether tapping is perfect. Meanwhile, if your aim is perfect, but your tapping is off, it's still possible to make it through the stream in some form.
Aim is much more a core skill than the tapping, because your tapping is completely dependent on your aim to actually have any effect at all.

B1rd wrote:

By the way, streaming stacks is still called streaming, not stacking or anything else.
Playing stacks is still called streaming, yes. What's your point? If your cursor is completely off the stack, your tapping still isn't going to do shit.

Endaris wrote:

Ha, problem solved, we have different definitions of streaming.
Can you quote who you're replying to because you have me confused
Yuudachi-kun
Harder aim actually makes tapping harder because of how much you have to focus on aim as opposed to the other skill.
Waltrusizer
your fingers
Endaris
Everyone.
Some people only regard it as a stream if it actually moves. Involving movement as a definition of streaming makes aiming a core mechanic of it.
I see streams as the 1/4 spaced notes that lead to somewhere but it doesn't have to be expressed with movement, therefore my definition doesn't involve movement.
Yuudachi-kun

Endaris wrote:

Everyone.
Some people only regard it as a stream if it actually moves. Involving movement as a definition of streaming makes aiming a core mechanic of it.
I see streams as the 1/4 spaced notes that lead to somewhere but it doesn't have to be expressed with movement, therefore my definition doesn't involve movement.
If we're talking about streaming with your definition, do doubles and triples count as streams?

Which are more prevelant in maps, streams without movement or streams with?

Assuming you don't count triples as streams :o
KanoSet
tbh for someone like me who have turtle fingers even good aiming won't help me to survive that much
i guess it's more about what you are capable of
Yuudachi-kun

KanoSet wrote:

tbh for someone like me who have turtle fingers even good aiming won't help me to survive that much
"turtle fingers" are irrelevant because we're talking about streams that you individually feel comfortable with bpm wise. Whether that's 160 or 200 or 250 whatever. How about streams where speed is a non-issue?
KanoSet
oh i thought you guys were talking about 5.5* and above 200bpm crazy stuff only
well if it's in a range that i can tap comfortablly then aiming is streaming i would say
but i don't believe bird assumed that either
N0thingSpecial
"click the circles, to the beat"

So both are core
Yolshka

KanoSet wrote:

What does that mean? Turtle fingers. That stream seemed really good.
Confused.
Mahogany
I'm guessing he means he's a slow streamer

Like me

That map he played is like 154/156bpm
show more