forum

What makes a pp map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stick2Glue
I've only been playing for 5 months, so I'm not really sure about how pp is distributed (spacing, jumps, sliders, etc). Sometimes, when I browse through the comments, I'll see things like "OH PP MAP", or "EZ PP FARM". So, I want to ask, what makes you say that?

Most of the times the comments are about "overweighted" maps. An example of an underweighted map (dunno if it's true) is the famous(?) Kokou No Sousei, the reason being 'it has so many sliders'.

What makes a map "a pp map"?
Mahogany
A few things can create a PP map

High object density. More stuff=more acc PP + More marathon bonus. If possible, more circles, as they add the most acc PP. A good example of a map with very high object density and circle count giving a high amount of PP would be Frame of Mind. These maps usually give more PP than equivalent maps of the same difficulty.

Short but intense difficulty spikes. Famous examples of this include Miraizu and both Best friendS maps, and Stella-Rium. The difficulty spikes increase the star rating significantly while the rest of the map is easier than the SR would indicate. As a result, the player only needs to "Luck out" the difficult parts to get an FC on the map, and reap the rewards as if the rest of the map was as difficult as the spikes.

Low BPM maps with simplistic jumps create great farm maps at both the intended difficulty level and when playing DT. Examples being Setting Sail, Coming Home, Koigokoro, and of course, the famous Daidai Genome. Note that both Setting Sail and Daidai Genome have the advantage of OD8, which becomes 9.67 after DT, giving out lots of extra PP. Koigokoro compensates for OD7 with its shortstreams adding lots of acc PP from high object count.

A map with high OD giving large acc bonuses. A good example being The Pink Fields. High amounts of PP given compared to equivalent maps of a lower OD, due to the way acc works.

Very short maps with a high difficulty rating (relative to the player's rank) that can, due to their brevity, be Full Comboed by people of a lower rank than one would expect, due to the low consistency required. Good examples include Felt - In my room, and Arcien - Future Son.

Edit: I forgot one more type. Certain maps have all of their star rating come from simple streams. This includes d.m.c and Rog-Unlimitation. If the player has the speed required, these maps are also an easy source of PP.

...phew, I think I went over all the main types of farm maps. Thanks for making this topic, it was very thought-provoking. Hopefully you've gotten your answer!
Green Platinum

Mahogany wrote:

Very short maps with a high difficulty rating (relative to the player's rank) that can, due to their brevity, be Full Comboed by people of a lower rank than one would expect, due to the low consistency required. Good examples include Felt - In my room, and Arcien - Future Son.
Should also add Granat here
A Medic
Lots of spacing and circles.

Create maps that are relatively easy throughout most of the song with a small section that is difficult to boost difficulty.
Topic Starter
Stick2Glue
Didn't expect such a comprehensive answer... Anyway, thanks for the replies! Helps me understand why players like short and hard maps as opposed to long/marathon ones that are relatively 'easier'.

So, running through the replies, I'm guessing DT and HR gives the most pp? (Certainly more than HD or FL)
CelebGarfield
on the context of pp pattern jumps with lot of spacing, while mainly not a problem , but when lately people put in such patterns even though the song absolutely does not suggest such jumps, they get called out for pp maps. And as Mahogany told you these maps can be very hit or miss thus not representing skill accurately.
ColdTooth

TheRandomBeat wrote:

Didn't expect such a comprehensive answer... Anyway, thanks for the replies! Helps me understand why players like short and hard maps as opposed to long/marathon ones that are relatively 'easier'.

So, running through the replies, I'm guessing DT and HR gives the most pp? (Certainly more than HD or FL)
Yes, DT gives more than HR tho, unless I'm missing something

I'm a hd hr fl player sooooo
Mahogany
Actually on the mid level on most equivalent maps HR should give more PP than DT, because OD9.8/10>OD9/9.67.

It's just that most people are too shit to get good acc on HR compared to DT
-Makishima S-
1. Create a map
2. Make it AR8, doesnt matter is completly shit garbage unplayable trash even for people who can read ar8
3. Rank it
4. Have fun since 99% of DT players will love you and 100% of nomod players will make voodoo dolls to curse you for this bullshit

but ok, jokes around (there is a seed of truth in what i said :3).

TL;DR:

- High object density, big focus on circles insteed of sliders since in actual system, sliders doesnt count for pp
- Spacing
- Maintance speed and consistency of rhythm
- HIGH OD
- High CS in big spacing
- Being in group of mapper called Delis & CO gives +100% for farmable maps (as i said above, you can make ar9 mandatory map an AR8 becouse it's hiddenly mean to be "DT only" and it still will be ranked).
Szymek
Manysi

[Taiga] wrote:

2. Make it AR8, doesnt matter is completly shit garbage unplayable trash even for people who can read ar8
3. Rank it
This wont happen.

[Taiga] wrote:

sliders doesnt count for pp
They do, as acc.

[Taiga] wrote:

Spacing

Isnt that obvious?

[Taiga] wrote:

Maintance speed and consistency of rhythm

Nope.

[Taiga] wrote:

HIGH OD

Only for the ones that can deal with it.

[Taiga] wrote:

- Being in group of mapper called Delis & CO gives +100% for farmable maps (as i said above, you can make ar9 mandatory map an AR8 becouse it's hiddenly mean to be "DT only" and it still will be ranked).
They ment to be played nomod. AR is set to fit the song and for readability reasons.
silmarilen

Sailexk wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

sliders doesnt count for pp
They do, as acc.
the ironic thing is that they count for everything except acc.
-Makishima S-
They ment to be played nomod. AR is set to fit the song and for readability reasons.
There is A LOT of 4* and above maps on BPM betwin 160-180 with AR8 setting which hurts readability a lot. There is a lot of players who find this maps pure bullshit, made typicaly just for DT reason. AR is forcebly lowered just to make it AR9.6 with DT insteed of 10.3 like it should be. I can ask few friends what they think about ceratin maps and if they find them unplayable at all @ ar8, i can post them.

They do, as acc.
No, sliders counts only for combo factor. In actual pp formula they doesn't affect acc factor at all. Doesn't change i was also wrong with my statment, my bad.

Nope.
Yes, a lot. Variable BPM maps are calculated better on mainly higer BPM which gives opportunity for higer note density.
chainpullz
PP farm maps can more or less be broken into 3 categories:

1) Short maps with a couple of massive difficulty spikes, consistent spacing, easy flow (ie. triangles, stars, hexagons, back and forths). Think tv-sizes and most DT farm maps.

2) Maps just long enough to fit in the maximum number of similar difficulty spikes to plateau on the * diff increase (it's definitely less than 8) with everything else being really easy to aim and acc, good flow, consistent spacing etc. Usually a number of easy streams due to medium map length increases circle count decently. Think all the easiest 3-4 minute maps. 1200x+ combo isn't actually that difficult if you aren't constantly ruining your consistency by doing nothing but retry spamming 90 second maps.

3) CS5 stream maps where stamina is made easy by frequent easy jump flow (again, triangles, stars, hexagons, back and forths + sliders), very consistent spacing, and capping out on the long map bonus for lots of circles. Maps like monstrata marathon, defenders, world's end where the pp increase from circle size with HR is higher than the actual difficulty increase.

OD will make maps give a lot of pp for high accuracy but I wouldn't say it particularly is what makes a map a farm map. You still need to be able to obtain the acc in order to get the bonuses and usually you can just toss on HR to make any map od9.8+. If a map is easy to acc on higher OD, then the patterns in the map are the culprit for the degenerate amounts of pp, not the OD itself.
Kunino Sagiri

chainpullz wrote:

OD will make maps give a lot of pp for high accuracy but I wouldn't say it particularly is what makes a map a farm map
But OD8-OD9 maps are farm maps because we can somewhat acc them and gives high reward. CS4 AR9 and HP6-8 are not so punishing for grinding acc and pp.
Szymek
Szymek
Endaris
Simple rhythm aka highly consistent 1/2 spam without much variations, preferably with more circles than sliders at varying spacing to increase both acc and aim-pp.
Mapped with high flow for the majority of the map, no difficult angles, stops, turns etc to ease aiming.
Exaggerating difficulty spikes, mildly spaced 1/4 patterns(still easy to aim but causes more aim-pp to happen compared to dense patterns).

Not all pp-maps are bad maps(maps like best friends and daidai are relatively decent) but some pp-maps are outright bad regarding their concept(i'm pointing at some really dumb ape with jewels here).
By nature simple pop at medium to high bpm(tv-sized) is best fit for pp-maps as the simple rhythm and one spike with the Kiai offers good potential for pp.
That being said, such stuff is boooooring to map. Better map some Touhou.
Asda Meal Deal
Ask Monstrata
FrzR
Mostly it's has largely spaced polygons and high OD which increases the star rating.
Pituophis
Triangles.
Rilene

Szymon wrote:

I dont like how DT is more PP know than HD
Well, you obviously know which is harder.
150 BPM jumpy with some of short-term memorization or 225 BPM jumpy maps.