forum

What is your opinion on the new forum design?

posted
Total Posts
show more
XinCrin
I'm open for changes as everything in the life. The design is awesome imo and It is still not finished
Sonnyc

Yauxo wrote:

I really like the general graphic design ideas, but then I also dislike that everything has to be so (smart)phone-y. There are no pages, the posts looks somewhat smushed together and the endless scrolling is kinda annoying. Not much else to say though.

Kinda holding back my opinion until it's in some sort of "almost live but still beta give input plz" state.
JMC
the new function for page navigation is looks modern/cool/amazing but in my opinion people not/not yet familiar with it, I had a lot of open forum online and I saw a new page navigation in the new osu forum design is a bit "radical" and this is slightly against users experience
---
the overall design between new forum looks a bit different than other (example https://new.ppy.sh/store/listing), and personally I don't like black/dark color in the background too contrast and make my eyes tired quickly
---
too many empty space when opened in the wide screen monitor
---
that's my opinion ^^, I know new forum design still improving and I know developers are already working hard and give the best to the community, I appreciate it :D
Luvdic

peppy wrote:

Xanandra wrote:

It still doesn´t have the option to go directly to last read post

Yes it does? Clicking a thread will take you to the last read.

Well, just now I have tried with different browsers with several threads, and all the outcome was the same, it sent me directly to the first post. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong here :(
Luvdic

peppy wrote:

Xanandra wrote:

It still doesn´t have the option to go directly to last read post

Yes it does? Clicking a thread will take you to the last read.

Well, just now I have tried with different browsers with several threads, and all the outcome was the same, it sent me directly to the first post. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong here :(
PatZar
well i dont like it too, the forum is a bit mess, and the page too are not paged like we are using right now
lolcubes
What I really like about current one is a friendly contrast. The new forums have too much contrast for my taste, it's much heavier for my eyes.
peppy
Have you checked today? There have been some changes to contrast levels.
lolcubes
Actually, I did not. I just checked it, nice. :)

BTW, will there be mobile support for it?
Trosk-

lolcubes wrote:

Actually, I did not. I just checked it, nice. :)
BTW, will there be mobile support for it?

There is already support for it :P

Otrebor
i like it
CXu
Since there's a thread. One thing that's been kinda bothering me both on the old forums and the new ones, is that you don't really scale it with the browser window:

Is there any particular reason you don't prefer more automatic scaling? It looks kinda silly to me with that long pink bar at the top, but then only half the space is actually being used.

Also, I'm also one of those people that prefer to have pagination. Having autoscrolling is fine, but I'd like there to be both tbh, since there are cases where one or the other is more intuitive or preferable.

I thought the circle/wheel was something you could click on to scroll through posts quickly, but instead clicking on the upper or lower half of it (probably the arrows) just takes me to the top or bottom, which I didn't find that intuitive. And what's the purpose of clicking on the page number? For now it seems like it just goes down a few posts or something, but I think clicking into a textfield where you can put in a page number would be more intuitive than having the page jump thing inside the search button.

And the quote thing is nice, but I think you need a dismiss/discard button, and make it a bit clearer that the button is for quoting.

Well, you're probably aware of some of this already, so eh.
Kyozoru
Please change the jizz thing xD
Cyclohexane
I'm mostly fine with it. I tend to like dim websites so I'm too big a fan of the super flashy white theme overall, several websites have an alternative design with dimmer colors (Tomorrow on that one imageboard for instance) would be neat to have something akin to that.

I'm one of the few people I've seen who appreciates the infinite scrolling, as well as the absence of pages.

What I don't like as much is I feel that the old designed was very compact yet clean; I work on small monitors and that's great for that, since I don't need to scroll everywhere since everything is utilizing minimal space. Here I feel like there's huge gaps that could be filled, for instance the horizontal width of threads (which I noticed has been increased but the font size as well as larger margins give the opposite impression), as well as the overall font size. I also feel like the top bar that shows when you scroll down a thread takes up too much room. I get the overall feeling that new design has trouble making good use of space and it ends up being a bit of a pain to navigate through compared to the old one.

Now, in terms of aesthetics themselves -- this is fucking pretty. Lots of details, nice color schemes, I particularly love the loading animation on clicks, the font choice, and the overall theme. It's all very, very neat and pretty to look at, and I have to commend the work that's been done here.

And that's basically it. Margins and paddings take too much space for my taste and navigating everything is a bit more annoying than with the old design, but it is much more appealing to the eye.
Kert
It looks awesome, that's for sure. Animations and everything
There are atleast 2 things bothering me though:
1. The operational zone is way too narrow. Maybe it's because the font is bigger? Maybe make post width wider instead (not smaller like now)?
2. The image on the top takes 1/3 of the screen --- I'd prefer to see more actual forum stuff, instead of an image (even a cute one)
lolcubes

Kert wrote:

2. The image on the top takes 1/3 of the screen --- I'd prefer to see more actual forum stuff, instead of an image (even a cute one)
I actually agree with this too. Sadly, lately the only place I can actually browse the forums is from my workplace, and I am doing it on a small resolution on a 19" screen, and that thing takes way too much space and is not really neutral enough for that particular environment.
I personally don't really care about what kind of an image it is, but someone else might. (at least it's easy to just scroll down, but still)

P.S.
I would like to see more colors for the thread icons. While the icons are different, the background color of the circle isn't, and when you aren't focusing on it, it's difficult to differentiate them.
AncuL
feels weird, doesnt feel like that everything in the old forum is visible in the new one

but idk, time will tell
Jinxy
Clicking a thread from the main forum page goes to unread, but in a subforum, clicking either the speech bubble icon or the thread name seems to bring to the first post? As far as I can see, the only button to get to last unread is the small arrow on the right. The rest of the entire bar, including clicking on "latest reply", brings you to first post on Chrome.

Contrast with the current setup where the thread icon brought you to last unread. Admittedly this is a "used-to-it" thing but it's a lot more intuitive since the different buttons are in close proximity to each other.

The circular post counter on the bottom right of a thread... Well, personally I think the jump to first and jump to last are great but could be larger and more obvious.

However, clicking on the post number to load (keyword being load, the entire page shows the loading animation instead of just shifting the page down) the next post is pointless as fuck considering I can see the next post 90% of the time unless it's a wall of text. (e.g. counter says post 4, but I can see post 5 and half of post 6 already).

Why not give a button to jump up/down by 20 posts instead? Yes, it's semi-pagination but helpful when you want to go to a certain post but you don't remember its post number and only remember what the content of the surrounding posts were. <- might also be why some people prefer to have pagination. I don't really know how to explain it, but instead of thinking to the scale of 150 (posts), I only have to think of 10 (pages) which would allow me to pinpoint where a post was more easily imo.

EDIT: Changed 10 posts to 20 posts, which is the same as how many posts are loaded in when you scroll and hit the top or bottom. Basically, a way to skip scrolling though to get to posts above or below. Easier than typing (current post no. +/- 20) into the search imo
Yauxo
I also thought that the wheel thing was so that you could quickly scroll through the thread. Hell, maybe even enter the post number as a jump-to type of function. Having to scroll through large threads is really time consuming, especially if you know that post x is on page 133 at the very top, while youre being thrown onto post y at page 245.

I'd really just like to see some sort of paging or easier in-thread control/movement.
Jinxy

Yauxo wrote:

Hell, maybe even enter the post number as a jump-to type of function
this one exists, it's the big magnifying glass button above the wheel
Yauxo
waitwaitwait

since when has that been there
ElliottB1
It bugs out when trying to post to the Video Games forum.
VanillaVilla
I do prefer the current forum over this new design, HOWEVER, I must say that the new userpages look really really nice. Really liking the userpage design over there :)
Ikarugamesh
I like it, however some things seem they need some adjustements or fixing to me. For example:

- I don't mind the lack of paging and continous scrolling, however I don't like the top header of the page (you know, the links of community, store, account controls) not being fixed like the navigation controls. If I wanted to access them in a very long thread, I would have to scroll the page to the very top. It's not pleasant.

- I find the forum body too narrow. Yeah, the old one was narrow too, but in my screen, it only takes half of it.

- Not a big issue, but I liked to see the post count of each user in the posts, you know, where the user name, avatar and country flag are.

Nevertheless, I think the new design is quite beautiful and rich. I have yet to try it on my tablet, though.

Cheers!

PS: Why is it called jizz? That's slang for, you know.
Granger
Design wise its pretty but i have my gripes with it.

First and foremost, it looks like its made for smartphones. Things are oversimplified and for the most part not inutive.
As example is this navigation bubble which doesnt actually let you navigate anything, the header that looks like it would have dropdowns for more options but doesnt. Spoilers that dont highlight nor animate on hover to signify that they're clickable.

The color sheme is fancy but unfriendly to the eyes, particulary the white background of the posts area stands out there and hurts in the eyes, please use a less bright and intense color, a light grayish blue like on the current forum is much easier on the eyes.
On the profile pages where the about me begins, the dark gray background does magnify the effect of the white background in the main area. I get what you were going for design wise, but perhaps it would be better to gradually darken the outer background as you scroll down and instead keep the dark gray bar at the width of the active area. Also, fade the bar out when the user scrolls down and only fade it in when the user hovers near the top of the page - or make it less thick.

Moving on to the index page and more to the functionality side of things, i get the feel that the space is badly and inefficently used, it does look good and all, but userexperience should go before design. As suggestion, decrease the border between the invidual boards - currently you could fit two if not three lines of text there, too much. Again, a designed for mobile feel comes up - things are bigger than they should be.
Likewise on list of threads - decrease the distance between them. This continues further in the threads themselfes, 2 posts with oneliners fit just barely on my screen, altough here its mostly due the increased font size - decreasing the font size by one would help with the longer posts but one liners and short posts, especially those from users without signature have the issue of empty space.

Whats with these 2 cm of nothing? cut that off.

Similary with posts such as this:

The supporter heart should be next to the flag and the signature under the text, next to the avatar border thingy. Dont leave it sticking out like a sore thumb unless the text pushes it out.

More empty, unused, wasted space i have to scroll past, this should be almost half as thick. Same applies to the Pippi header on the index (but its far less worse here, it just needs to be a bit thinner, nothing as severe as half as thick) - from a users side its space you have to scroll past before you can do whatever you wanted to do. A nuisance in the long run.

Then of lastly and finally, theres features outright missing i understand its WIP but... Where are the maps on the profile? changing avatar? PMs? Where do i access the user control panel for changing settings? Where do i click to see the oldest unread post in a thread? Subscribing to threads? I could go on for ages - not even half the functionality is here.
...Pages? Even semi paigation where you just jump 20 posts or so would be A START.

Have a simple ticker under/above the navigation bubble that scrolls right by one page for every 20 post count. Replace the jump to first/last post of the bubble with jump 20 posts forward/backwards and let the ticker take care of the jump to first/last post. Make the post count pop up the jump to post, rather than linking the current post (its just more inutive), add post numbers to the posts themselfes to take care of the direct linking instead. Possibly fade the ticker, the current jump-to-bubble (yes keep it, accessibly is good) and any other bubbles you want to add out unless the user hovers on the bubble. Long story short: Make the navigation bubble actually let you navigate the thread rather than being a needlessy fancy post counter. Hell, i might just swish something together on photoshop to illustrate what im talking about here.

Make infinite scrolling preload 5 or so posts into either direction (even if they're not being displayed) to smooth the infinite scrolling, rather than having the user bump to the end of either side to load more (but keep that as fallback should the user scroll too fast). Give users the option to opt out of infinite scrolling to save bandwidth (they gotta use the bubbles pseudo pages then). Remove the OP post being displayed unless the user is on the first "page", with infinite scrolling theres no feasible way to view the OP to begin with (aside from being at the beginning of the thread.

Get the functionality down first THEN polish the thing. As is, its way too early to promote it on all pages of the old design. This id call an alpha relase at best. Definitively not useable for the broad userbase right now.

On the bright side, the loading image is nice. Yes, i dont like the new design.
peppy
If white hurts your eyes, you need to TURN DOWN YOUR MONITOR BRIGHTNESS.

The "simplicity" is not because it was made for phones. It's to make it simple.

Missing features are because it's a WIP. Are you retarded? Stop posting in a feedback thread without understanding what you are looking at first, please.

It's called jizz because I chose that for the testing subdomain. It's a WIP and will eventually replace the original site (and no longer be fjizz?).

Infinite scrolling is not going anywhere, but the navigation control (bottom right) is not final.
Dephiy
In terms of looks, its pretty nice in my opinion, but it still needs some work so its more user friendly. More customization features such as an option to change the colour for background might be pretty neat to have as well.
Garven
So far it's quite nice on the eyes. The pagination works smoothly on browser and phone, and the color scheme makes each post pop out quite well. Too bad the content of said posts can be hit or miss, haha.

I am curious to see how you handle the menu items and the user/beatmap searches with this design as I found that I was missing those fairly quick into testing.

I wonder how it handles embedded spoiler boxes
Text before new box
SPOILER
Text inside new box
Granger

peppy wrote:

If white hurts your eyes, you need to TURN DOWN YOUR MONITOR BRIGHTNESS.

The "simplicity" is not because it was made for phones. It's to make it simple.

Missing features are because it's a WIP. Are you retarded? Stop posting in a feedback thread without understanding what you are looking at first, please.

It's called jizz because I chose that for the testing subdomain. It's a WIP and will eventually replace the original site (and no longer be fjizz?).

Infinite scrolling is not going anywhere, but the navigation control (bottom right) is not final.
I assure you i know what im looking at here, i even said i know its WIP; i've mentioned the missing features as it ties into how the new design is not fit for mass testing yet, at least in my oponion.

Simplicity is good, but it just feels too simple, too spacious just as if it would be for smart phones where massive and extremely simple interfaces are a neccesity due the small screens. Its something worthy of improving as such would largely be uneccesary for desktop systems - you can easily fit more information and more advanced functions on the screen here without running into issues regarding useability.

Im looking forward to the updated navigation bubble! Just to clear eventual misunderstandings, im not suggesting to remove infinite scrolling, but to support it with pseudo pages for more efficent navigation. Infinite scrolling is neat.

And regarding the brightness... sure, i could do that but then again, having the users bend to and change their brightness up and down as they visit various websites is not exactly userfriendly. 100% pure and shining white is just a harsh color for large areas, like, say neon pink, so im suggesting you to use something less harsh, giving the white a tint of blue or some other color might just work.
Monstrata
I like the new forum design. And it's WIP too. Looking forward to the end result.

I have to agree though, using jizz is really unprofessional and I really hope it will be changed when officially released. Otherwise i'd really have trouble introducing friends to the site and I'm sure others would too :P.
Pako
I really like it but well...
1. What are these moving triangles at the top doing? They look, in my opinion, a bit ugly and irritating.
2. I just dislike the color pink.

Other than that It is extremely AWESOME! especially because it's so minimal.

#EDIT:
I don't have to care about what I dislike about the design anymore. Started skinning it right now.
HappyRocket88
The current forum doesn't look that bad. what I think it happens we're used to this forums template so it can come weird to us. Remeber best things take their own time.
Arzenvald
looks a lot more eye-catchy and looks more modern.. i really like the profile page tho.. <3
can't wait until the new-fully-working forum released, and can't wait to see the big change of the homepage too!
Vuelo Eluko
rip anyoner who uses firefox and/or has an old CPU, infinite scrolling is absolute hell, the farther you go the worse you lag. At least it's been that way on every other website ive ever used that had it. Maybe the overly simple design was an attempt at optimization, but i believe we've lost more than we've gained from it.

Although im sure it's better for people who are on their iphones at work and want to just swipe down over and over while they loudly chew their bubblegum, I can't see how anyone sitting in front of a computer using anything but the screen for input can find this better. Navigating is a lot harder overall, at least for someone like me who uses a PC with a mouse+kb.

I can appreciate that you put a lot of hard work into this peppy, you really do put in the time for us, but it's not about just pushing content out it's about making sure it's wanted in the first place as well.

I love you, Peppy.
ProgrammerSocks
I like having pages. It makes things easier for me to parse, especially for long threads. But I'm not a dev, and I don't use the forum all that much, so I can accept the new layout as inevitable.

But still, we have to agree, there is one objectively superior layout for every given forum. In this case, it would be the one Peppy chooses, since he's the leader. If he wanted someone's opinions, he would personally contact them. Disagreement over things that aren't going to change divides the community, and distracts from topics that will have an effect.

It would be nice if Peppy could make a list of things he knows to be factual, then the mods could ban people when they say something wrong instead of letting their idiocy rot the board. But I'm not a mod, so I have to assume things are better this way. Thinking anything current might be bad is only an admission of ignorance.
piruchan
Overall I think there are too many wasted space.

I agree with everyone who thinks posts are too narrow. White space on the right side of each post needs to be trimmed off a bit.

A separation between the avatar area and post area would be nice. Right now everything is on a white background and it feels like they're just thrown there creating a mess. Something along the line of the current forums with different background colors would be nice.

I personally dislike the avatar box thing. The contrast with the background is way too high and it looks bulky. I suggest removing it entirely. With that box away there are more space for longer usernames and larger display space for avatars. Seriously though, why the smaller avatars?

My only complain about the profile page is how the profile details are displayed. Does everything really need to be represented as characters? I think the current design with images and tooltips are a lot better and faster to read.

Another thing, something should be done to the username on top right of the page to make it look more important because I like feeling important get user attention. Right now it feels like it's just a bunch of characters thrown randomly and it doesn't feel much different than being a guest. I think making it bold like on the current design would work just fine.

Kudos for the new editor at the bottom of the page, I really like it.

Edit: ctrl + enter still works ;)
Gumpy
Why does everything have to be so big?
Vuelo Eluko

piruchan wrote:

Overall I think there are too many wasted space.

I agree with everyone who thinks posts are too narrow. White space on the right side of each post needs to be trimmed off a bit.

A separation between the avatar area and post area would be nice. Right now everything is on a white background and it feels like they're just thrown there creating a mess. Something along the line of the current forums with different background colors would be nice.

I personally dislike the avatar box thing. The contrast with the background is way too high and it looks bulky. I suggest removing it entirely. With that box away there are more space for longer usernames and larger display space for avatars. Seriously though, why the smaller avatars?

My only complain about the profile page is how the profile details are displayed. Does everything really need to be represented as characters? I think the current design with images and tooltips are a lot better and faster to read.

Another thing, something should be done to the username on top right of the page to make it look more important because I like feeling important get user attention. Right now it feels like it's just a bunch of characters thrown randomly and it doesn't feel much different than being a guest. I think making it bold like on the current design would work just fine.

Kudos for the new editor at the bottom of the page, I really like it.

Edit: ctrl + enter still works ;)
what is that aberration masquerading as the american flag?
Endaris

peppy wrote:

Have you checked today? There have been some changes to contrast levels.
White stings my eyes a lot less now :)

Another thing I noticed:
It looks a bit weird how pippi's sleeve laps out of the heading-box on the right but her hairs don't. Nonsensical 3d if you ask me :D
Railey2
- it uses up too much space. Instead of "simple and modern", it just looks bulky to me. (look at Gumpyyy's picture). This is the only real complaint I have, actually. Next one is minor.
- Using different colors for different sections in the index makes things more confusing instead of being a step towards simplicity and user-friendliness. Unity is an important factor concerning that, and this includes the color scheme. (very minor)

- I'm not a fan of infinite scrolling, but as opposed to the other points I brought up, this might just be because I'm not used to it yet. We are creatures of habit after all, and it's easy for us to blindly oppose new things for the sake of maintaining the status quo. I think in terms of practicability, infinite scrolling might even outperform the current system with pages, so I am open for change in this area (even though I don't like it as of yet).
show more