forum

Make the letterbox a customizable/skin element

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +58
Topic Starter
aesu
Title.
Why? Because it makes me feel like the play area is way bigger and it actually is. I've been used to play with my wallpaper since forever and having to use the black background just screws me up badly to the point where I can't even play anymore.

EDIT: Yes I am talking about the letterbox while playing fullscreen.
XinCrin
Don't use it then
Bara-
I like this
I can recall there being a thread about this, will look for it

Xin, this talks about the 'Letterbox during Breaks' option in the Editor I believe, not the 'fullscreen' mode

Edit: t/353297?hilit=Letterbox
CXu
Since he's talking about being used to playing with background (assuming desktop background) and screwing with his area and stuff, I'd say he's talking about the letterboxing for fullscreen.
VeilStar
What CXu said.

I'd like this to be a thing, so have my invisible stars!
Bara-
OHHHHHHH
Being able to skin it, like the menu-background

I like it
Topic Starter
aesu

XinCrin wrote:

Don't use it then
Because I(we) definitely want to play with an absurd input lag
Rilene
Yes.
Please.
Do it.
Do.
Do.
Do it.
I will support this.
Please.
Stefan
That's actually a cool idea. Loved that in Touhou and in the older Pokemon games where you had on the left and right a own background.
peppy
The way we are letterboxing actually improved performance (and compatibility with streaming apps) by only showing the GL context in the required area. We could add a background at a winforms level which is skinnable, but this seems like more hassle than tis worth (and will reduce cross-OS compatibility in the future).

Honestly I don't see this happening for now. At least until we have things on stable and actually stable.
xhale

peppy wrote:

The way we are letterboxing actually improved performance (and compatibility with streaming apps) by only showing the GL context in the required area. We could add a background at a winforms level which is skinnable, but this seems like more hassle than tis worth (and will reduce cross-OS compatibility in the future).

Honestly I don't see this happening for now. At least until we have things on stable and actually stable.

I guess I wasted a few votes :( Unless these votes will contribute to it happening in the future :)
Phenomz
I really, really hope seeing this in a future if it's possible. Going from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was and is a complete nightmare if you're a non-fullscreen player, since the only way to play without input lag is to use fullscreen or letterbox. If this gets done I could just put my desktop background as the "letterbox skin" and that would make the change almost unnoticeable. I'd throw stars at you if I had any.