forum

The Ultimate Grip Naming Conventions and List

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
navitsu
this is not another one of those posts

firstly, to clarify, i've only switched grips a couple of times but i thought a post like this could be useful for osu!
there are bound to be some mistakes here, so please dont be hard on me

one more thing to clarify, if i say low area it can mean 2 things: fullscreen and low area OR windowed and full area, since they are essentially the same thing
the same goes for high area

i've divided the different types of grips into 3 groups:
- pencil
- calligraphy
- other

pencil is the most common grip, i think it is the easiest to learn and most people are already used to it from writing.
SPOILER
pencil low normally for smaller areas

pencil medium medium, as the name says

pencil high this grip is commonly used by people playing with full areas

pencil vertical a lot of wrist aiming instead of fingers

pencil vertical low

next up is the calligraphy grip, this section contains my preferred grip, normally used for small areas
SPOILER
calligraphy one a similar grip is used by hvick225

calligraphy two this is the grip i currently use and will continue using, 1/4 area of an inutos pen small

and here are some other grips used by popular players (or random ones i found on the forums), some of these may or may not fit into the first 2 categories but i decided to put them all in here
SPOILER
happystick

rohulk also comparable to rrtyui's grip

ex cookiezi (talking about banned players banned? dont discuss), small area

forum found a bit unusual

what omgforz had to say on reddit about grips
SPOILER
I have switched grips numerous times, due to always analyzing what I'm doing and how I might improve on it. This way I experimented a lot, but I never went too extreme into a direction. (like going with a really small area, or going fullscreen fullarea) Always staying at full area and just changing the window size in case I had any problems adapting at first. So I can't say anything about really small tablet areas or grips which resemble writing on a sheet of paper.

What I have experienced is, that those vertical grips allow you more freedom in any direction. Your grip on the other hand probably has problems when going with full area and extending your fingers to a far end corner, you'll most likely loose posture, and thus need to readjust.

Giving more freedom, allows you to tweak other things, which suddenly might seem a lot more important, once you have this "base" of a grip. How your wrist is angled, is your wrist in front of the tablet, or is it on it? If it's in front, can your fingers reach the corners? Do you need to grip higher? These are quite important factors which influence you greatly, almost as important as gripping the thing itself.

Experimenting is key. Every time I switched grips (not from copying other players, but just feeling this new way of trying to aim, and rolling with it for a few weeks, gave me an idea of the advantages and disadvantages or sheer differences compared to other grips. Sometimes you just feel more comfortable, sometimes you feel like dying, but you weirdly enough have better precision. Analyzing what is giving you this precision, and what is actually causing you discomfort is really important, going with the things which ultimately help you, and getting rid of things which discomfort you is going to lead you to your ideal grip.

The general idea I learned from grip to grip, is that finger control is absolutely important. Once you have somewhat of a comfortable grip, and you're used to it, most of the aiming is going to take place in your head. Feeling the movement before you even execute it, that's what you have to get down to be quite consistent. (it's basically building up muscle memory and concentrating enough, with some analyzing here and there)

Things I learned when switching grips

1) Using fingers as much as you can grants the most consistency when doing absurd jumps
2) Because of 1), finger control is really important, being able to flick quickly and controlled without losing posture.
3) playing around with how you angle your wrist is quite important, sometimes you feel like you have an off-day, and one of the possibilities why, is that you have your wrist angled a bit different than usual
4) playing around with how high you grip your pen is important too, I always thought the lower you go, the better, because you have more control, but the higher I gripped the pen, the more consistent I got and the more comfortable I felt. (also required me to use my fingers more than my wrist) (this is my experience, don't think it'll be the same for you, just experiment!)
5) the more finger control you have, the less need you have to tense up I actually noticed that I tense up because I feel insecure about my aim, feeling as if I wouldn't tense up that much I would perhaps even miss. I still tense up, but that's on 3 minute long fullscreen jumps which I do not practice at all. (I'm looking at you, guitar vs piano aqo training maps!)

Here's another link to something I wrote some time ago which might help you http://ask.fm/Omgfzor/answer/114475915778 (I'm too lazy to rewrite all that)

and remember, only use a grip that is comfortable for YOU!
Lang
Perfect explanation for the grips now i know what to call my grip
i_am_BAKA
Thank you for the simple overview of the most common grips. Mine is similar to HappyStick's :3
pandaBee
What is wrong with happystick
Fatal3ty
I use my own pen grip. Which pen grip typ is it?

ZenithPhantasm
MrLicker
i got the pen grip,im jokin im using a mouse cx
Topic Starter
navitsu

Fatal3ty wrote:

I use my own pen grip. Which pen grip typ is it?

i'd consider this one a pencil grip with the thumb going over

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

genius
iderekmc
all grips apart from pencil are absolutely retarded, and its impossible that they are confortable for anyone
ZenithPhantasm

iderekmc wrote:

all grips apart from pencil are absolutely retarded, and its impossible that they are confortable for anyone
The only one retarded is you 8-)
iderekmc

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

iderekmc wrote:

The only one retarded is you 8-)
xD
Shinobi
Thanks for this! i've chamged grips multiple times because none of them have really felt right D: Think i'll try out some of these !
Endaris
I applaud you sir.
meteor22
I think this might be the first useful thread I've ever seen in this forum... Congratz to navitsu

It's very interesting to see a variety of grips, and also the way you classified them was clever.
Topic Starter
navitsu

meteor22 wrote:

I think this might be the first useful thread I've ever seen in this forum... Congratz to navitsu

It's very interesting to see a variety of grips, and also the way you classified them was clever.
thanks a lot man :D i really appreciate it
kimcong
My grip is low, but i play full area :P
Meks
Thanks this was very useful,i use common grip similar to hvick! :)
Risa
Cool thread.
rrtyui grip with full area fullscreen works fine for me but it gets srsly tiring esp when doing cross screen jumps
Jeffrey
Wow nice informative thread
I'm currently using calligraphy grip 2 with the thumb going over the pen ayy
This is my usual pen grip when I'm holding a normal pen and writing
But regarding the different types of pengrips, I do agree that pencil grips allow for more freedom around the tablet, but it's probably more suited for those using large, smooth tablets like Wacom. For small tablets like the Huion, having a small area with calligraphy grip would be more suitable as you literally hit the edge easily if you use pencil grip with a large area. And since Huion tablets tend to have high friction (or my palms are just sticky), you just stick one side of your hand to the tablet and move your pen with your fingers.

Maybe it's just my personal preference.
Exemmar
Mine seems to be the medium pencil. Though sometimes I'm trying to grip it higher or even trying calligraphy two, but still medium pencil is the most related to me.
show more