forum

[New Rule] Source should be romanized

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sonnyc
Since the end of 2012, using Unicode for Title, Artist, Source, Tag has been abled.
These days, we can see lots of beatmap getting ranked with the unicode being used at the source. Japanese for J-Anime for a frequent example.

However the problem is that the unicode gets displayed at the osu! official site, and users who can not read those native language will not have a chance to know how those language pronounce at the beatmap listing unless clicking the beatmap and checking the tags.
It will be a great discomfort for the user who I've mentioned above, and deciding to use only romanized letters to the source would make everyone read where the source of the song is.

Source should be romanized. The unicode of the original source can be added in the tags.
I've always thought that a criterion should be made for this topic, and will result in less randomness among beatmaps.

Discuss.
Kaguya Hourain
Cool suggestion, I second this!
DakeDekaane
Rather some Feature Request to add Source/Romanised Source, like we already have for Artist and Title.
But probably this won't work smoothly as we have mixed formats there.
xxdeathx

Sonnyc wrote:

However the problem is that the unicode gets displayed at the osu! official site, and users who can not read those native language will not have a chance to know how those language pronounce at the beatmap listing unless clicking the beatmap and checking the tags.
It will be a great discomfort for the user who I've mentioned above, and deciding to use only romanized letters to the source would make everyone read where the source of the song is.
I completely agree for this reason! It always annoys me when I can't see the source the song is from by hovering over its beatmap listing.
Stefan
Since this got denied I guess this will work even better.

want this
Lanturn
I'm still curious what happened to having a Unicode source field alongside a romanized source field. It would make the source appear romanized on the site and allow for players who can read the native language of thir song, still possible.

Was it denied or something? Or never even suggested yet?
Lally

Sonnyc wrote:

totally agree :V hope this will happen
XgenSlayer
If Romanized sources mean that the sources are spelled out how they are pronounced instead of in their native language, I'm all for it. :)
Kibbleru
I support this but dake's idea would work too c:

DakeDekaane wrote:

Rather some Feature Request to add Source/Romanised Source, like we already have for Artist and Title.
But probably this won't work smoothly as we have mixed formats there.
Oyatsu

Lanturn wrote:

Was it denied or something? Or never even suggested yet?
I have ever nominated it p/2556081/
Topic Starter
Sonnyc
Didn't know there was something similar at the denied list. Seems it's the opposite suggestion with mine?

Anyways I think we need to decide to one side; romanize or unicode if both exists.
Okoratu
I honestly don't see much of a problem because if you choose to source the Hiragana/Kanji part of an Anime in the source field you will more than likely add the other one to tags. Switching that around is not really anything that makes a difference.

I personally am for treating this like Unicode Artist / Romanised Artist because if your source is something Polish or whatever which uses Unicode stuff you can take the official thing as source (e.g. the way it is shown on the anime's website or something) and then put the romanisation in the other field which would then be shown based on user's preference by checking this.

Would make more sense to me this way than enforcing one thing
Lach
I'd rather it not be romanized because sometimes things get pushed off the top of the screen like this.

As opposed to this

This doesn't happen too often, but I would like to see a romanized source field in .osu.
Krfawy
IMO this is totally stupid. It's like 'Many people do not understand Russian so sources in that language has to be Romanised. Also Polish letters like 'ó' and 'ś' should be Romanised too. The same goes to German and French signs since they have different ones too.' Please. If someone doesn't speak in the language which is used in a source gap, it is A PERSONAL PROBLEM.. What is the simplest solution? To learn that language for God's sake. The only recommendation from me would be just using romanised version of the source in tags, but it's really stupid to transalte everything to the Rom. version.

I am writing like that because I do not appreciate things like this. Imagine you're the author of the animu/movie/whatever where the music is used and for example it's called 'Opowieści z Mieściny'. So the romanised version should be:
a) The name without Polish 'ś' sign and should be replaced with 's' sign
b) The title should be translated into English, this time it'd be 'Stories from a Little Town' or something what has the same meaning.

And? Both are stupid. Why? Because the original title is in Polish and not in English. The authors would be really annoyed they couldn't use the original name and it's the obligation to use only Roman signs which do not translate it 100% correctly. IDK how it works with Asian languages, but if people write Russian/Ukrainian (generally: Slavic languages) words in English there are usually from 2 to 5 or even more ways to write something and still not sure which way is more correct. Want a simple example? Imagine the name 'Аня' - read 'Anya' - is the source. So simply we should write 1 of the possible ways in the source and the whole rest in the tags. We should add 'Ania' 'Anja' 'Anjia' 'Anna' to the tags then! So please, no.

LVU Krfawy (>o3o)>
Gaia
Yeah, romanization is hard especially when you get to the debate of whether or not it's correct
It would probably suck as the creator to see your own work translated to something else you don't agree with..

Can't we just put down whatever's official? if it's Japanese, leave it in Japanese; if it's English, leave it in English.
DakeDekaane
Oh right, I agree too on leaving the Source written in their native language. If Japanese, Japanese, if Polish, Polish, if Klingon, Klingon, etc.
This way would be more correct and we'd avoid problems for having a bad romanisation (we already have them with Artist/Title, why looking for more?)
Pappy

Krfawy wrote:

IMO this is totally stupid. It's like 'Many people do not understand Russian so sources in that language has to be Romanised. Also Polish letters like 'ó' and 'ś' should be Romanised too. The same goes to German and French signs since they have different ones too.' Please. If someone doesn't speak in the language which is used in a source gap, it is A PERSONAL PROBLEM.. What is the simplest solution? To learn that language for God's sake.
Go and learn every language used as source in osu, it's totally damn stupid point that you have.

Also this is pretty nice idea to always setting romanized source. It isn't hard to do, I saw many maps and most of non-romanized sources are from animu/visual novel etc. so it isn't hard to find romanisation lol.
OzzyOzrock
Playing osu! and can't read Japanese? Come on.... Kappa

Yeah this should've already been a thing.Good idea.
Lach

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Playing osu! and can't read Japanese? Come on.... Kappa

Yeah this should've already been a thing.Good idea.
So is this statement for or against this proposed rule...? You didn't make that clear. I always thought the reason for the inclusion of unicode source was because it is encouraged.
_koinuri
I thought the reason we implemented the unicode title/artist was to credit the artist better, shouldn't the source be the same? We should keep it at its original language to be more consistent with the way the rules are going to be as close as possible to the actual metadata (tv size, feat. Vocaloid, etc). I think the best solution for this problem is, like DakeDekaane and Lantern mentioned, adding romanize and unicode source in the game though.
show more