forum

Beatmap genres

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shiro
Hey people. This is an idea that was submitted to me by Xyuwelion and I believe it deserves to be discussed. This has the potential of clearing up mapping discussions a bit and reducing toxicity and arguments by a considerable margin.

The concept, as the title says, is beatmap genre. Not song genre, which already exists, but beatmaps. Do you guys think it is possible to classify beatmaps in different genres ? People often talk about "stream maps", or "jump maps", and that is the kind of thing I am referring to, but there are surely more genres to talk about.

To be clear, I am not talking about cliques of mappers or communities, and the focus should be entirely on maps. Please try to give examples, and try to describe the genre you are referring to. I will keep this thread open for as long as possible to allow for more lengthy discussion. I will try to list the genres that are agreed on for easier reference, and keep the points about each of them or the idea in general in this thread.

It is pretty clear that most maps will fit into several genres, as they include several aspects of the game, and maps that can be clearly defined as a single genre are very difficult to find. The examples I list below belong to the categories they are listed in, but not only to them.
Topic Starter
Shiro
Here's a list of genres that Xyuwelion and I came up with so far:

1. Jumpmaps
    Maps that focus their difficulty on aim, mostly by spacing 1/2 beats far apart.
    Examples: Gold Dust, Blue Dragon's Airman
  2. Streammaps
    Maps that include rapid successions of 1/4 beats, either in long streams or series of short ones.
    Examples: Shuffle Heaven, Paradise Ghost
  3. "Elite" maps
    Maps that are meant to be extremely difficult and appeal mostly to the top players to provide them with a new challenge.
    Examples: Doppleganger, Eighto
  4. Experimental maps
    Maps that propose ideas that have not been explored by the osu! community and may not be accepted by the current RC.
    Examples: OMG, Endless Tewi-ma Park
  5. Puzzle maps
    Maps meant to be challenging to read, or containing patterns that are purposely confusing or unintuitive.
    Examples: Miss You, Evanescent
  6. Balanced maps
    Maps made to be intuitive and easy to read.
    Examples: Green Grass Garden, Rapid Ensemble
  7. Symmetry maps
    Maps that emphasize symmetry and make it the central point of mapping. Patterns all work around the centre of the playfield or one of the axis.
    Examples: Yellow, Remote Control
  8. Practice maps
    Maps focusing on one aspect of gameplay made to practice said aspect and drastically improve at it.
    Examples: onlyforyou's Freedom Dive, Stream Practice Maps
  9. Marathons
    Maps of a very long duration, challenging the stamina of players due to their length.
    Examples: The Unforgiving, parapara MAX I
  10. Compilations
    Maps grouping parts of other ranked or unranked maps together around a given theme.
    Exammples: osu! stream compilation, Nightcore Mix Compilation
  11. Tag maps
    Maps meant to be played using the multiplayer tag mode. Usually include very frequent new comboing and very large jumps.
    Examples: Night of Knights, BARUSA of MIKOSU
  12. Art maps
    Maps that are not meant to be played, but rather watched with auto mod.
    Examples: OMG, Centipede
This list is entirely open to change. Feel free to propose new genres, modifications to the ones listed above, or suggest to remove/merge some !
Tarrasky
genres only for music, not for a style of the map, this will encourage making styles just to get classif. and may miss the musical essence

for training players already have available lists of several maps that fit these styles, like this
default0

Tarrasky wrote:

genres only for music, not for a style of the map, this will encourage making styles just to get classif. and may miss the musical essence

for training players already have available lists of several maps that fit these styles, like this
If you have read the list of genres that were proposed, there is already several genres that you will be hard pressed to find ranked or approved examples of.
What this means is: Whether or not a map fits into a genre is something entirely independent of whether it is suitable for ranking.
This thread is more about the way we think about maps and mapping and not really about discussing the ranking system, either, so your note, while justified, is somewhat off-topic.

Neither are the genres a thing that should be reserved for training. I find myself enjoying all sorts of maps across these genres, ranked or not, and I'm not really a competitive player who tries to improve...

That being said, osu is and will remain a rhythm game, so following the song should be a priority for most maps created, however, the mapper and not the song or the artist should get to make the final decision about what his or her map should be like :)

Edit: Please discuss genres themselves, not the way they interact with the ranking system or the game itself, while these are concerns, this is not the right place to discuss them and should be done at a later time.

Best Regards
buny
doppelganger
Akali
Aside from labeling maps as more jumpy and streamy I don't see any use for most of these.

"Tricky" might make player think map is shit by default

"Graveyard" makes no sense. It's graveyarded or not, labeling maps that are unrankable like that would be confusing.

"Symmetry" Some mappers use symmetry all the time, some only on certain parts of the song, some not at all. It's not really that important

"Elite" so... 490?

"Marathons" Ye I can see the length of the song... +It's not really stamina challenge most of the time, rather keeping focus and consistency

Practice maps usually have "practice" in tags.
Yuudachi-kun

Tarrasky wrote:

genres only for music

gen·re
ˈZHänrə/
noun
noun: genre; plural noun: genres

a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

k
Nyxa
Visualization maps
Maps not designed to be played, but to be watched with Auto or Relax. Generally contain lots of stacked notes and pretty fractal-like patterns.
Examples: Centipede, Insane Techniques (Extended)

Keysound maps
Maps with very complex, melodic hitsounding, often using a special mp3 that has the keysounded instrument cut out of the song.
Examples: onoken - Sagashi Mono(BMS edit), Jin feat.LiSA - Yuukei Yesterday

Gimmick maps
Maps that push the limits of slider leniency and other mapping techniques to make impossible or tricky looking patterns enjoyable to play. Requires quite some mapping experience to be pulled off correctly.
Examples: Akiyama Uni - The Grimoire of Alice, Sota Fujimori - Move That Body -Extended Mix-, Sota Fujimori - WOBBLE IMPACT

Also rename Trickmaps to Reading maps and "Graveyard" maps to "What" maps or 2B maps please. Also can we have a separate genre for Hollow Wings maps

Just call them "whahtefkcu is going on maps"
Description: "HW please ;_;"
D e s
Yes this is useful. quite handy to find certain map
default0

Akali wrote:

Aside from labeling maps as more jumpy and streamy I don't see any use for most of these.

"Tricky" might make player think map is shit by default

"Graveyard" makes no sense. It's graveyarded or not, labeling maps that are unrankable like that would be confusing.

"Symmetry" Some mappers use symmetry all the time, some only on certain parts of the song, some not at all. It's not really that important

"Elite" so... 490?

"Marathons" Ye I can see the length of the song... +It's not really stamina challenge most of the time, rather keeping focus and consistency

Practice maps usually have "practice" in tags.
The use is to have easier accessibility of maps of a certain kind.
To my knowledge, users tend to stick to maps of only some few genres as the maps they actually enjoy playing, so ruling out maps you do not like before you actually play them (and thus waste your time with maps you do not enjoy) is an added benefit of this, however that requires game integration and is again a topic of interaction of genres with the game itself, which while being a concern, should not be discussed here. This is simply putting the idea out there.

"Tricky" doesn't necessarily make the player hate the map, if they happen to dislike that genre, they will just not play it, which is kind of the point. It avoids them wasting their time with a map they probably won't enjoy. Some might enjoy maps of this genre though, so they won't be calling it shit by default. This will probably help people be somewhat less negative about maps since it's easier to filter out the ones you dislike.

"Graveyard" is probably a bad name for a genre, yes, but the maps listed as example do form their own subgenre. Can you propose a better name for it? :)

"Symmetry" is a particular way of mapping yes, classifying that as a genre may be worth arguing about, yes. Most maps that come to my mind when I think about this usually just use this in certain spots and more as just another mapping technique rather than an underlying idea of the way the map works.
Who else thinks that "Symmetry" is more of a mapping technique and less of a genre? If many agree that it's less of a genre, we should remove it from the list

"Elite" not just Aqo, Zapy makes maps like this, too, and I think if you dig around you'll find occasional one-offs, also CRN did a bunch of these... it's not exclusive to a certain mapper, really, so I think it deserves its own genre.

"Marathons" while I agree that the challenge is rarely stamina and the description of that should probably be updated, they deserve their own genre, since the basic ideas of these maps is that it should be long and not allow you to rest much.

"Practice" while that may be usually noted in tags, that's a common practice and genres would make that obsolete and not do anything damaging or terribly intrusive here, so I see no concerns with this genre.

Tess wrote:

Visualization maps
Maps not designed to be played, but to be watched with Auto or Relax. Generally contain lots of stacked notes and pretty fractal-like patterns.
Examples: Centipede, Insane Techniques (Extended)

Keysound maps
Maps with very complex, melodic hitsounding, often using a special mp3 that has the keysounded instrument cut out of the song.
Examples: onoken - Sagashi Mono(BMS edit), Jin feat.LiSA - Yuukei Yesterday

Gimmick maps
Maps that push the limits of slider leniency and other mapping techniques to make impossible or tricky looking patterns enjoyable to play. Requires quite some mapping experience to be pulled off correctly.
Examples: Akiyama Uni - The Grimoire of Alice, Sota Fujimori - Move That Body -Extended Mix-, Sota Fujimori - WOBBLE IMPACT

Also rename Trickmaps to Reading maps and "Graveyard" maps to "What" maps or 2B maps please. Also can we have a separate genre for Hollow Wings maps

Just call them "whahtefkcu is going on maps"
Description: "HW please ;_;"
Id argue that Visualization maps is a subgenre of what is now referred to as "Graveyard" maps. That genre-name is terrible though, so suggestions for a better one are welcome :)

Keysound maps are something I personally haven't really encountered in osu! Thanks for pointing these out :)
I think we should add them to the list if other people agree they deserve their own genre.

I somewhat disagree with the way you classify gimmick maps: A gimmick is simply some kind of "thing" that's going on in the map that you usually do not see in other maps and that defines this maps character. This can be anything: Keysounding, pushing Slider leniency to its limits, etc.
I do agree that the maps you point out in your examples probably deserve their own genre, but "Gimmick maps" feels like a bad name for it, because "Gimmick" is a really broad word (it could refer to keysound maps, visualization maps etc. its not really clear from the genre name what kind of maps are meant).
I can't really think of a good name for these though, do you have other suggestions? :)

I agree on the rename from Trickmaps to Reading maps, and I also agree we should rename Graveyard maps to something else, however neither What maps nor 2B maps seems to quite nail what that genre describes... do you have other ideas?

Personally Id probably shove Hollow Wings stuff into the Elite maps category... but I haven't seen a whole lot of maps by her, so I really shouldn't be deciding that (I'll probably go check out some maps and then figure out what my opinion on that is).

D e s wrote:

Yes this is useful. quite handy to find certain map
That is one of the motivations for bringing this idea to light - less time wasted playing maps you don't enjoy ;)

Best Regards
Akali
Ok, I'm convinced, my tags:

DT Farm

Jumpy only in chorus

Guitar solo streams

Nothing interesting in general but has that one jump stream for lulz

Elysion can't pass this

AR10 on this is completely unnecessary

This map was made by Doomsday

1/8slider practice

Death spinner

Blankets everywhere

No blankets at all

Grid 2 snap extravaganza
Vuelo Eluko

Akali wrote:

Elysion can't pass this
why does Centipede need its own category?
Nyxa

Akali wrote:

DT Farm
Fycho

Akali wrote:

Blankets everywhere
Ayu

Akali wrote:

No blankets at all
Sellenite

Akali wrote:

Elysion can't pass this
Aqo

Akali wrote:

Aqo

Akali wrote:

Aqo
default0

Akali wrote:

Ok, I'm convinced, my tags:

DT Farm

Jumpy only in chorus

Guitar solo streams

Nothing interesting in general but has that one jump stream for lulz

Elysion can't pass this

1/8slider practice

Death spinner

Blankets everywhere

No blankets at all

Grid 2 snap extravaganza
This thread is about discussing the idea of genres.
You just went ahead and proposed a bunch of "genres" that are not really genres but rather a mockery of the way certain players perceive maps and the way certain mappers create maps, based on the assumption that this "feature" (which isn't really a feature but more of a proposal on managing large quantities of beatmaps) will mainly be used for sorting and search. Which, as I have mentioned in my reply to you and previously, is kind of off-topic as this thread should be about the genres themselves, not their practical applications (and implications). If you want to discuss these instead of genres themselves, please create a separate thread and link back to this one to keep the discussion clean, thanks :)

Best Regards
Vuelo Eluko

Tess wrote:

Akali wrote:

Aqo
his maps least apply to this

shoulda said CRN
default0

Riince wrote:

Akali wrote:

his maps least apply to this

shoulda said CRN
As I said to Akali, this thread is to discuss the idea of genres. Calling out mappers for mapping a certain way is kind of off-topic, if you want to try and find mappers that mostly stick to a certain genre, feel free to add them - or propose why they (or some of their maps) would deserve their own subgenre.
Examples to understand genres you are trying to describe are always helpful, but Im afraid "AR10 on this is completely unnecessary" isn't a genre but a mockery for a couple maps, so that doesn't really add any value to this discussion...

Best Regards
I Give Up
This will help players a lot in terms of what to expect before trying out a new map. A lot of toxicity arises when a player goes to try out a new map only to find that it is not to his taste, especially in multi. Having a genre tag will certainly help avoid these situations as players would be able to know what to expect before hand.

Shiro wrote:

beatmap genre. Not song genre
For clarity I recommend we should change the name to beatmap type when this feature gets implemented to avoid any assumption that this is somehow related to the genre of the particular song.

I propose a category for beatmaps that are meant to be watched using auto mod, such as Centipede and Let Me Hit It, called Art maps.

Shiro wrote:

Reading maps
Maps meant to be challenging to read, or containing patterns that are purposely confusing or unintuitive.
I personally call these Puzzle maps because of the level of memorisation and/or conscious effort needed to complete regardless of bpm, ar, od, etc. This is purely about note placement, ignoring the other obvious difficulty impacts (especially since difficulty can be increased/decreased with mods anyway).

Shiro wrote:

Straightmaps
These are my favourite kind of maps and I call them Balanced maps since they contain a little bit of everything - jumps, streams and puzzles.

Shiro wrote:

"Elite" maps
I have a collection named "Yolo" filled with maps that fits the description perfectly. I prefer Elite though ;D
Lust
Something like this could very well just be placed into the beatmap description if the mapper so chooses. Adding another field will just be a hassle, especially since sometimes mappers are not bound to one style or another in particular. Classifying a map works best as it always has - through word of mouth. Everyone knows if a map has hella streams or big jumps since it will probably be posted about somewhere.

Is this really going to be a thing? How would this clear up any toxicity/arguments when it will basically just state what the players have already known and shared about a map?

Will this be on a per-difficulty level basis? You can't classify a whole beatmap under its hardest difficulty. You'd need a lot more genres for the lower difficulties.

I wouldn't mind something like it but I need to be convinced that it would matter
Topic Starter
Shiro

KukiMonster wrote:

This will help players a lot in terms of what to expect before trying out a new map. A lot of toxicity arises when a player goes to try out a new map only to find that it is not to his taste, especially in multi. Having a genre tag will certainly help avoid these situations as players would be able to know what to expect before hand.

Shiro wrote:

beatmap genre. Not song genre
For clarity I recommend we should change the name to beatmap type when this feature gets implemented to avoid any assumption that this is somehow related to the genre of the particular song.

I propose a category for beatmaps that are meant to be watched using auto mod, such as Centipede and Let Me Hit It, called Art maps.

Shiro wrote:

Reading maps
I personally call these Puzzle maps because of the level of memorisation and/or conscious effort needed to complete regardless of bpm, ar, od, etc. This is purely about note placement, ignoring the other obvious difficulty impacts (especially since difficulty can be increased/decreased with mods anyway).

Shiro wrote:

Straightmaps
These are my favourite kind of maps and I call them Balanced maps since they contain a little bit of everything - jumps, streams and puzzles.

Shiro wrote:

"Elite" maps
I have a collection named "Yolo" filled with maps that fits the description perfectly. I prefer Elite though ;D
I have made those changes, thank you. Can you link the Centipede one though ?

Lust wrote:

Something like this could very well just be placed into the beatmap description if the mapper so chooses. Adding another field will just be a hassle, especially since sometimes mappers are not bound to one style or another in particular. Classifying a map works best as it always has - through word of mouth. Everyone knows if a map has hella streams or big jumps since it will probably be posted about somewhere.

Is this really going to be a thing? How would this clear up any toxicity/arguments when it will basically just state what the players have already known and shared about a map?

Will this be on a per-difficulty level basis? You can't classify a whole beatmap under its hardest difficulty. You'd need a lot more genres for the lower difficulties.

I wouldn't mind something like it but I need to be convinced that it would matter
Yes, ideally, it should be per-difficulty, but we both know it will only be applied to the hardest difficulties of each map. The goal is to make sure everyone knows what they are talking about. In most arguments, there are people who are talking about a type of map they hate, which is not great because it only adds negativity to the discussion. Referring to those explicitely can allow the people who stay negative to stay out of the conversation (if they wish to) knowing they don't like that specific kind of map.

People have been talking about this kind of thing without putting actual words on it. Everyone has their own classification and it gets confusing. You've often heard "stream map" "jump map" "shitmap" "troll map" thrown here and there, but no one bothered defining what those are precisely.
Akali

Lust wrote:

Ok, after some real thought what I think would be better than "types" is certain stats for a map (that would be pretty objective) like in Stepmania

Jumps - The ammount of pairs of circles or 1/4sliders that are (somehow decided absolute distance) from each other (or ratio of jump creating objects : circles/1/4sliders
Slider jumps - Same as above just with 1/2 and longer sliders, maybe combined with circles as well? Not sure what would be best
Streams - Ratio of circles creating streams : circles
Zare
I don't really get the point of these map genres
if you're gonna rank your map, it's supposedly a fitting map with fitting jumps, fitting streams, fitting sliderrhythms, fitting symmetry, fitting cursormovement..
if the map's a practice map that doesnt care about any of this, why would anyone give a shit about it, it will rot in graveyard and the people that use it for practice won't think it's an actual quality map or something

honestly this sounds like a random idea that some people came up with being all excited when it's actually really unnecessary

on another note, wouldn't this rather belong to Feature Requests?

I wouldn't exactly call green grass garden intuitive either, nor is it as fitting as it could be lol
Nyxa
I vote for map stats

But wouldn't that sorta be like just showing a map's aim/speed/acc values? I believe Tom was planning on implementing this at some point

Also, I don't think that beatmap genres/types should be an official thing, more like an unofficial way to classify maps. I also think "genres" was better. Are you seriously going to listen to the guy that thinks genres are only a thing in music? That's pretty silly. We can just use this stuff to describe a map, it might also help in modding queues, for example. One could say that they don't mod reading/puzzle maps, or that they mod linear maps only. It'd be good to have classification, and maybe the genre could be added to tags, but it should never be an official thing that BATs/QATs have to add like the song genre in the beatmap listing.

I see what Zare's saying but it sorta ignores the potential of this idea.
default0

Zare wrote:

I don't really get the point of these map genres
if you're gonna rank your map, it's supposedly a fitting map with fitting jumps, fitting streams, fitting sliderrhythms, fitting symmetry, fitting cursormovement..
if the map's a practice map that doesnt care about any of this, why would anyone give a shit about it, it will rot in graveyard and the people that use it for practice won't think it's an actual quality map or something

honestly this sounds like a random idea that some people came up with being all excited when it's actually really unnecessary

on another note, wouldn't this rather belong to Feature Requests?
Beatmap genres are not about ranking maps, graveyarding maps or whatever else in this regard. It is simply a means to classify, think about and organize beatmaps in a somewhat more civil fashion than throwing terms like "shitmap" around in chat and beatmap tags.

Technically, just about every idea is unnecessary, since osu may very well stay as it is forever, so that point isn't really valid. The point is to rethink the way we tackle mapping, modding and discussing maps (game-integration etc. are as I've mentioned several times previously, a different aspect).

This does not belong to Feature Requests, because it is an open discussion that does not propose a concrete "request" for something to be integrated into the game, it's just proposing a concept (Feature Request would be fe "Add beatmap genre type things to osu map search in client and on website") :)

Akali wrote:

Ok, after some real thought what I think would be better than "types" is certain stats for a map (that would be pretty objective) like in Stepmania

Jumps - The ammount of pairs of circles or 1/4sliders that are (somehow decided absolute distance) from each other (or ratio of jump creating objects : circles/1/4sliders
Slider jumps - Same as above just with 1/2 and longer sliders, maybe combined with circles as well? Not sure what would be best
Streams - Ratio of circles creating streams : circles
Since I happen to have helped Tom design the pp algorithm initially, I think I know enough about this kind of work to be telling you that a sophisticated classification of beatmaps with ratings that are capable of defining "types" of beatmaps is a task that is unrealistic.
A few things to consider:
-What about 2B maps? They should be marked somehow...
-Detecting patterning and/or pattern difficulty is an open task in the current pp algorithm
-Deciding how hard it is to read a map (again an aspect that should be considered by such a system) is also not a trivial thing to solve algorithmically

And there's lots and lots more...
My concern is that such a system wouldn't be something that can analyze the concept of genre (ie telling a player whether he may or may not like that map before playing) sufficiently well.

Tess wrote:

Also, I don't think that beatmap genres/types should be an official thing, more like an unofficial way to classify maps. I also think "genres" was better. Are you seriously going to listen to the guy that thinks genres are only a thing in music? That's pretty silly. We can just use this stuff to describe a map, it might also help in modding queues, for example. One could say that they don't mod reading/puzzle maps, or that they mod linear maps only. It'd be good to have classification, and maybe the genre could be added to tags, but it should never be an official thing that BATs/QATs have to add like the song genre in the beatmap listing.

I see what Zare's saying but it sorta ignores the potential of this idea.
I think unofficially this is already happening in certain beatmaps tags. But I think most people don't really look at the tags much before playing a map (correct me if I'm wrong - I myself have never done that and I think many others don't do that either).
I think if we decide that this concept is worthwhile for the game as a whole to clear up discussions and reduce frustration about maps, it would be incredibly helpful to have at least some official support or implementation that really everyone sees - but we should figure out what genres we think make sense and explore the idea itself first, before asking or thinking about that.

Best Regards
Snepif

Tarrasky wrote:

this.
I Give Up

Shiro wrote:

I have made those changes, thank you. Can you link the Centipede one though ?
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/372245

Wao didn't think you'd put in so many of these changes. I am honoured.
E m i
let's just implement it already
Nyxa

[ Momiji ] wrote:

let's just implement it already
Topic Starter
Shiro
That is not meant to be implemented (at least not for now). The goal is simply to make discussions easier by referring to map genres more precisely.
Nyxa
I thought that's what he meant by implement.
winber1
i deserve my own genre pls
RaneFire
Some maps already tried to put these in tags. Maybe it's not really allowed to do so. A separate category would be better.

Although some tags are unnecessary, such as "puzzle and balance" maps. Ability to read something depends largely on player skill. There are objectively difficult to read maps, but they automatically fall under "Elite" as a result. Anything less is subjective between players of different skill levels because ranked maps got modded around such principles of readability and if you can't read something it's usually because your reading isn't fast enough, which means you should play more. Mapping styles (2009, 2014 etc.) also contribute to how well you can read something, if you aren't used to it.

https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?q=deathstream
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?q=jumps&m=-1&r=0&g=0&la=0&ra=
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?q=streams&m=-1&r=0&g=0&la=0&ra=
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?q=practice&m=-1&r=5&g=0&la=0&ra=
default0

RaneFire wrote:

Some maps already tried to put these in tags. Maybe it's not really allowed to do so. A separate category would be better.

Although some tags are unnecessary, such as "puzzle and balance" maps. Ability to read something depends largely on player skill. There are objectively difficult to read maps, but they automatically fall under "Elite" as a result. Anything less is subjective between players of different skill levels because ranked maps got modded around such principles of readability and if you can't read something it's usually because your reading isn't fast enough, which means you should play more. Mapping styles (2009, 2014 etc.) also contribute to how well you can read something, if you aren't used to it.
Not just ability to read something, the general feeling of playability depends entirely on player skill (and custom).
Earlier maps used to create difficulty through angling much more than todays maps, causing lots of newer players to dislike them, because they're not used to that kind of difficulty. These maps also typically use a slower Approach Rate than todays maps, again making newer players dislike them, because they're used to much faster ARs.
The idea of the "Elite" map genre is not "generally hard map", but "map that is hard because it contains fast jumps and streams", which doesn't really fit with maps that are hard to read.
Generally, current ranked maps mostly fall into the "Elite" maps or Balanced maps categories (with the occasional exceptions to prove the rule).
And reading isn't necessarily a question of speed, if you "read" AR10.3 you will need good reactions, if you "read" AR5 you will need good perception, memory and focus :)

tl;dr
Yes, reading difficulty is subjective, but since all difficulty is subjective I don't see that as a reason to change the genres

Best Regards
Topic Starter
Shiro
Changed "graveyard" maps into Experimental maps and edited the description.