forum

Official osu! Beatmapping Contest #2!

posted
Total Posts
show more
GeekMayCry
so they already have a bpm and ready for us to get start the map notes???
Kytoxid

KingSRS2 wrote:

so they already have a bpm and ready for us to get start the map notes???
Yeah, when you download it, it comes with a timing that you can use or change.
DawnII
To enter or not to enter, hmmm...
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

DawnII wrote:

To enter or not to enter, hmmm...
Do it
Ephemeral
A thousand years of bad mojo on whoever screws up The Real Folk Blues.

A THOUSAND YEARS.

Aside from that, no pressure. Looking forward to seeing the entries.

8-)
Sushi
Dammit, I wonder if I will have enough time to map the three maps o/
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Sushi971 wrote:

Dammit, I wonder if I will have enough time to map the three maps o/
You have ten days per map gogogo
Jarby

Ephemeral wrote:

A THOUSAND YEARS.
I spent about 5 minutes trying to map that before deleting the osz and moving on to something else. Good times.
Shinde

Ephemeral wrote:

A THOUSAND YEARS.
Just sayin'. :P

No, really. A thousand years. I'll also tack on a thousand on top of Eph's to make two thousand. Make it awesome or else~
Starrodkirby86
Better go all-out on judging that particular beatmap then. >:3
Symbolic

LuigiHann wrote:

Gabi wrote:

you aren't allowed to submit any custom files, but are you allowed to use the normal sounds as custom sounds? this would be a workaround the green timing stamps.
You're allowed to switch between normal and soft sampleset, that's it.
So, does inserting a normal hitclap sound (default skin) for sliderticks count as custom sounds?
m980

Symbolic wrote:

So, does inserting a normal hitclap sound (default skin) for sliderticks count as custom sounds?
Yes. Why do people do that anyway? It doesn't even sound good. I hate it >:(
arien666
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Zekira
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Symbolic wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

You're allowed to switch between normal and soft sampleset, that's it.
Insert it into what? You're only allowed/able only submit .osu files. Is there some way to code that kind of sound swap in? Not allowed.

Of course, you are welcome to map with any selection of custom sounds in your song folder as you're mapping, but you might want to check what it sounds like without them before you submit, because the judges aren't going to get any of them
Xgor
This gonna be fun!
Gens
yes
will participate
I've been waiting for this
<3

(I still need my internet connection, but I can map offline~)
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
I've been asked a couple times in IRC if collaboration is allowed.

Working with a partner is technically allowed, but please do not indicate the collaboration when submitting. It will be treated as one person's entry and only the submitter will be rewarded a prize. Also remember that you are judged on the cohesiveness of your beatmap set, so it may actually be disadvantageous to work with another person, especially if two people are making unrelated difficulties for the same set. If you do collab, you should be working very closely together to make sure everything feels consistent... Ideally, the judge shouldn't notice that it's not the same mapper.

So in other words, you can do it, but I don't recommend it.
anonymous_old

LuigiHann wrote:

I've been asked a couple times in IRC if collaboration is allowed.

Working with a partner is technically allowed, but please do not indicate the collaboration when submitting. It will be treated as one person's entry and only the submitter will be rewarded a prize. Also remember that you are judged on the cohesiveness of your beatmap set, so it may actually be disadvantageous to work with another person, especially if two people are making unrelated difficulties for the same set. If you do collab, you should be working very closely together to make sure everything feels consistent... Ideally, the judge shouldn't notice that it's not the same mapper.

So in other words, you can do it, but I don't recommend it.
This is how collabs should normally work, IMO. ;P
Kuroneko-sHerald

LuigiHann wrote:

1. The Real Folk Blues
    Download pre-timed .osz here
    Artist: Yoko Kanno
    Source: Cowboy Bebop
    Genre: Anime (Japanese)
    YouTube Preview
Artist is wrong.
The correct one is "THE SEATBELTS feat. Mai Yamane".
Hamuko
Good Luck, everyone. Do your best and get the prize! o/ o/ o/ o/

I'm not going to participe.
/me is a bad mapper
Starrodkirby86

Kuroneko-sHerald wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

1. The Real Folk Blues
    Download pre-timed .osz here
    Artist: Yoko Kanno
    Source: Cowboy Bebop
    Genre: Anime (Japanese)
    YouTube Preview
Artist is wrong.
The correct one is "THE SEATBELTS feat. Mai Yamane".
Both cases seem to work, though the latter one goes for the performance side of things. Yoko Kanno arranged and composed the song, it seems.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Yeah it is pretty debatable. Still, as far as I've seen, all Cowboy Bebop music is credited primarily to Yoko Kanno, and secondarily to the performers. So while both ways would be correct, I think the way it is now is best. Seatbelts and Mai Yamane should be added as tags, though, so thanks for pointing that out :)
Sleep Powder
I think I'll participate in this =]
Mogsy
Definitely participating in this. I love every single song to death. <3
Henkie
I could just as well participate, haven't got much time and all, and I'm a slooooow mapper, but got nothing to loose if I'm able to finish it..

Btw, just for the know.. If for example the map is 100 BPM, can you start it yourself with 200 BPM?(or 50), haven't seen any of them yet, but just curious.
Derekku

HenkieBP wrote:

Btw, just for the know.. If for example the map is 100 BPM, can you start it yourself with 200 BPM?(or 50), haven't seen any of them yet, but just curious.

LuigiHann wrote:

[*]Timing is provided for each song, but you are welcome to adjust it if you feel the need. If you change the timing, please make a note of it in the comments when submitting. You must, however, use the given mp3.
mm201
I pity the judges. The Impression That I Get is going to be a raging battlefield of mapping wizardry, with at least FIVE good mappers (myself included =P) working on sets. Picking just one is going to be rough.

I also did the unthinkable and completed Hard in just one night.

m980 wrote:

Symbolic wrote:

Yes. Why do people do that anyway? It doesn't even sound good. I hate it >:(
It sounded good on Lollipop. (Admittedly, that was a different clap sound but still...)
Mukku
La, la, la.

I am so gonna win. Be intimidated, everyone.

Or something ;_;
Shinde

Mukku wrote:

I'll win, without entering. Now you should be intimidated. >:(

;)
YGOkid8

Shinde wrote:

;)
^ That was legendary
mm201

Shinde wrote:

Mukku wrote:

;)
That duck means business.
alvisto
D: I really do hope that we can use normal sample hitsounds as custom hitsounds in soft sampleset... Setting a new timing section every 5 seconds for a normal hitsound is exhausting... xD
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

alvisto wrote:

D: I really do hope that we can use normal sample hitsounds as custom hitsounds in soft sampleset... Setting a new timing section every 5 seconds for a normal hitsound is exhausting... xD

LuigiHann wrote:

Symbolic wrote:

Insert it into what? You're only allowed/able only submit .osu files. Is there some way to code that kind of sound swap in? Not allowed.

Of course, you are welcome to map with any selection of custom sounds in your song folder as you're mapping, but you might want to check what it sounds like without them before you submit, because the judges aren't going to get any of them
alvisto
Yea, aware of that. Just a little inconvenient... xD
Kuroneko-sHerald

LuigiHann wrote:

Still, as far as I've seen, all Cowboy Bebop music is credited primarily to Yoko Kanno, and secondarily to the performers.
Yes, it's right.

LuigiHann wrote:

So while both ways would be correct, I think the way it is now is best.
I would remember that people usually put on "Artist" field the singer (if it isn't a band).
For example in the first sountrack of Bleach the songs "Nothing Can Be Explained (vocal ver.)" and "Number one (vocal ver.)" are tagged respectively with "Mike WYZGOWSKI" and "Hazel FERNANDES" on "Artist" field, even if the song are primarily credited to Shiro SAGISU.
So I think that put Yoko Kanno as Artist isn't totally right.

Anyway it isn't a big problem if you don't want to change it. I say those thing just to be precise :P
mm201

alvisto wrote:

You can only submit .osu files.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

MetalMario201 wrote:

alvisto wrote:

You can only submit .osu files.
Hey man I got this one
mm201
Can't be said too many times.

Seeing as how this gets asked on EVERY FRICKEN' PAGE! >:(
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
23 days left! Ahhhhh!

Incidentally, the deadline is the day that my school's Spring Break ends. So I'll probably be doing a lot of nagging in the final week.
GladiOol
Catch the Beat only diff's are allowed? :>
(I only see Taiko there~ but I know CTB only isn't also allowed, just pointing it out)
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Gladi wrote:

Catch the Beat only diff's are allowed? :>
(I only see Taiko there~ but I know CTB only isn't also allowed, just pointing it out)
I didn't know there was such a thing. Updating rules now
ash
so yeah, i'll probably enter for every single song there

right now working on the sigma thing

then i'll evaporate into the void again
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Just a note to everyone, I've made occasionally tweaks to the rules, generally just tweaks and clarifications, nothing really major. So if you haven't checked since you first read the opening post, please re-read it just to make sure you haven't missed anything. If you've already submitted an entry, you can update it anytime just by submitting the entry again.

14 days left until the deadline
Mogsy
Well, I'm pissed. My laptop charger came in, but the mail room was too lazy to sort it, so I'm without it until the day after the deadline. God. Fucking. Dammit.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
boooo
mm201

Mogsworth wrote:

Well, I'm pissed. My laptop charger came in, but the mail room was too lazy to sort it, so I'm without it until the day after the deadline. God. Fucking. Dammit.
Find another computer.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Just bumping to remind that there are a little less than three days left to enter. If you've been thinking about entering, now's the time!
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
And we've passed the deadline! Thanks to everyone who entered. Judging has begun, and the winners will be announced on or before April 10th.
0_o
Will the runners up be revealed/will we be able to find out our own scores when the results are in?
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

0_o wrote:

Will the runners up be revealed/will we be able to find out our own scores when the results are in?
Yes. Judges' comments will also be viewable.