forum

osu! World Cup 2014 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Cyclohexane

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Just a piece of advice for commentators.

While Yoiduki Mayuta's DU is acceptable in transcription (It's because the Japanese using roomaji input type DU to make syllable づ appear), it is a voiced TSU sound, something you would pronounce DZU, not DU. There is no DU sound in standard Japanese.

I'm pretty sure the japanese titles and names will be pronounced in terrible manner, but I just hope you avoid doing basic mistakes. (like pronouncing my name as Hamachi or sth - happened last year)

But isn't half the fun in listening to commentary when the commentators noticeably fuck up pronounciation of a player's name or map?
I'll make sure to remember that. :p
KRZY
Ye just remembered my KRZY is Polish and not English so it's Kuruzy and not Krazy plz commentators I love you too
fartownik
I've got advice for commentators as well: WOMBO COMBO

EDIT:

KRZY wrote:

Ye just remembered my KRZY is Polish and not English so it's Kuruzy and not Krazy plz commentators I love you too
Shouldn't it be like, "kshy" or sth? :)
ToGlette

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I'm pretty sure the japanese titles and names will be pronounced in terrible manner, but I just hope you avoid doing basic mistakes. (like pronouncing my name as Hamachi or sth - happened last year)
Don't worry about this. I will be helping the commentary team with the pronounciation since I speak decent Japanese.

KRZY wrote:

Krazy forever <3

Mr Color wrote:

But isn't half the fun in listening to commentary when the commentators noticeably fuck up pronounciation of a player's name or map?
Korway again \:D/
Makan1
I always pronounced it KRZY (Kerzy) or K.R.Z.Y at first.
silmarilen
are are tea why you eye
B1rd
Makan1
r'tiyou-e
-GN

ToGlette wrote:

Mr Color wrote:

at least we're not meeting you in group stages again \:D/
ToGlette

-GN wrote:

ToGlette wrote:

at least we're not meeting you in group stages again \:D/
Who knows that we will meet in Knock out stages :o
Lapis-

fartownik wrote:

HAPPY FEET

WOMBO COMBO
-Ryuujii-
remembering how to pronounce all names is kinda hard lol...i commentated Osu Mania World Cup and CWC and some names were just a no no.. so don't get offended if some names are pronounced wrong :D
KRZY

fartownik wrote:

EDIT:

KRZY wrote:

Shouldn't it be like, "kshy" or sth? :)
OK to be extremely precise it is meant to be the American pronunciation of a Polish KRZY
Azer
If a commentator pronounces my name as Ahzer I will skywrite dicks in our matches
Ethelon

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Just a piece of advice for commentators.

While Yoiduki Mayuta's DU is acceptable in transcription (It's because the Japanese using roomaji input type DU to make syllable づ appear), it is a voiced TSU sound, something you would pronounce DZU, not DU. There is no DU sound in standard Japanese.

Isn't it usually romanized as "zu?"

I'd be impressed if the commentators learned some Japanese phonetics. Wouldn't take too long to look up the IPA for Japanese and learn the proper production.
Aki Like Snow

Ethelon wrote:

I'd be impressed if the commentators learned some Japanese phonetics. Wouldn't take too long to look up the IPA for Japanese and learn the proper production.
"ず”This is romanized as "zu"
Ethelon

Aki Like Snow wrote:

Ethelon wrote:

"ず”This is romanized as "zu"
That wasn't my question. It's a different zu. I'd never heard of づ being romanized as du before.

Anyway, getting off topic here, sorry for derailing.
xxdeathx
hi ethelon
AmaiHachimitsu

Ethelon wrote:

That wasn't my question. It's a different zu. I'd never heard of づ being romanized as du before.

I found DZU more appropriate than ZU for the commentators to understand, that's all. This is because zu alone would point at "Z" sound being a fricative. Whenever I hear the Japanese speak zu, I can feel some kind of plosion, this is why I used DZU for commentators to articulate the sound in the best manner possible.

as to DU, if you want to use IME as to type for example 片付ける, you are to type du on your keyboard for the correct zu syllable (unless your IME is very intelligent as to correct you).
Ethelon

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Ethelon wrote:

I found DZU more appropriate than ZU for the commentators to understand, that's all. This is because zu alone would point at "Z" sound being a fricative. Whenever I hear the Japanese speak zu, I can feel some kind of plosion, this is why I used DZU for commentators to articulate the sound in the best manner possible.

as to DU, if you want to use IME as to type for example 片付ける, you are to type du on your keyboard for the correct zu syllable (unless your IME is very intelligent as to correct you).
Oh my bad, I made a mistake about the だ line and had some confusion about z, dz, and dʑ.
Thanks for the clarification.
Wishy
WELCOME TO OS.
Dexter_old_1
WELCOME TO OSSSSSS

be prepared to get rekt

also i do hope Brazil wins
Aki Like Snow

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Ethelon wrote:

Actually I hardly have seen any usage of づ except of 片付ける.
Athrun

Azer wrote:

If a commentator pronounces my name as Ahzer I will skywrite dicks in our matches
Well, Ahz- I MEAN Azer...
Glazbom
rAzer
Noki
I didn't read the previous posts and therefore violated a given warning.
Topic Starter
Loctav
You should really read this thread before asking weird questions.
Noki
Uh.. I read this entire thread and found no answers?
Topic Starter
Loctav
Stop asking then.
Noki
I don't know why you're being so hostile. I'm literally just curious as to why some of these players aren't allowed to play. Nothing more, nothing less.
PlasticSmoothie
When are we getting the stream schedule?
Topic Starter
Loctav

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

The stream schedule? The match schedule is on the wiki.
AmaiHachimitsu

Loctav wrote:

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

The stream schedule? The match schedule is on the wiki.

Since some matches overlap each other, I guess only the chosen one will be streamed (like last year).

And last year the match schedule included a note whether a given match was gonna be streamed or not.
Miho_fucked
When will the rosters be updated? I heard there were some last minute changes for some teams.
manjumochi
I want to see Brazil vs Japan but at the same time we have South Korea vs Germany... (Both of them will be great games, I believe).
Would be nice if we have option to see (or at least on other time) some replays.
KRZY
Don't we get VODs? Although I agree it's different from watching it live..
Mismagius
It would be cool to have another channel streaming as well, but the streamer availability would have to be pretty higher than it is right now
Ph0X
I just wanted to say that no matter what other people say, I still love you Ephemeral <3
Topic Starter
Loctav
http://owc.nicarim.pw/results/view/3 <<<< Group Stage statistics will be located there
Ephemeral

Ph0X wrote:

I just wanted to say that no matter what other people say, I still love you Ephemeral <3
you are my sunshine, never forget it
show more