forum

I have been wondering about timing.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Comfy-Kun
Okay so as a musician, I notice that even if I try to internalize the tempo and try to play in time I do not get all 300's but most of them are.

However in a real musical setting, when I set a metronome to a certain tempo and for example play a 8th note passage, it is in time relative to the metronome.
(I play Drums and Piano)

I know this may be a stupid question but I just want to hear other people's view on this.
Vuelo Eluko
it sounds like you need to take a page out of flobots book and keep rhythm with no metronome, no metronome, noooo metronome~

on a serious note, mania is rather lacking mechanically so it doesn't really push you into playing correctly which is why i'd recommend playing a different mania-like game such as BMS to learn properly before playing something so poorly contrived.

also with so few plays you may just not have learned how to follow the hitsounds properly yet.
Topic Starter
Comfy-Kun

Riince wrote:

it sounds like you need to take a page out of flobots book and keep rhythm with no metronome, no metronome, noooo metronome~

on a serious note, mania is rather lacking mechanically so it doesn't really push you into playing correctly which is why i'd recommend playing a different mania-like game such as BMS to learn properly before playing something so poorly contrived.

also with so few plays you may just not have learned how to follow the hitsounds properly yet.
Well I have played O2Jam and DJ Max in the past, it has been awhile so I have to brush up a lot in the skills department. I am thinking of installing LR2.

However, I notice (in Osu Mania) that what I press and what I hear is not always absolutely the same.
Drace

iComfy wrote:

Okay so as a musician, I notice that even if I try to internalize the tempo and try to play in time I do not get all 300's but most of them are.

However in a real musical setting, when I set a metronome to a certain tempo and for example play a 8th note passage, it is in time relative to the metronome.
(I play Drums and Piano)
Even if you are perfectly on beat, it doesn't mean you'll hit within the timegates on every hit. If all your hits are equally x ms off on every hit, you are still perfectly on-beat despite your hits not being accurate enough to pop the highest judge. There's also the fact that hitting 50ms off while playing an instrument isn't all that noticeable yet these games will punish you for it. You just need to be "more accurate" then when you play your instruments. However if your problem was the prior one, fixing your offset might do the trick.

This is why most the time getting into VSRGs is as hard for musicians than it is for people who don't play instruments at all. For both sides, the hand-eye coordination required to translate the falling notes into physical actions in real-time, and the accuracy required to hit notes within a tiny timegate, is a new skill people will need to develop throughout their play.

iComfy wrote:

However, I notice (in Osu Mania) that what I press and what I hear is not always absolutely the same.
Hm I'm not sure if you're referring to maps lacking keysounds, or maps lacking musical accuracy all together. For the latter, one thing you need to keep in mind is all the maps here are made by the users. So as you venture through the database, you'll undoubtedly come across maps that are complete shit, and maps that are pure genius. If you find something you like, try to keep note of who the mapper was so you can go fetch more maps made by the same guy, odds are you'll like those too :p

Though if you were referring to keysounds, you won't be finding a DJMax-esque experience in osu!mania. Over 99% of the maps you'll encounter here are not keysounded, but hitsounded. Meaning the sounds produced by hitting your keys are nearly completely irrelevant to the song itself. They're just there to give an auditory feedback, not to enhance the overall experience. This is do to users making maps out of music they do not own, so they can't get appropriate keysounds for those maps. Speaking of not owning music, ppy sure is infringing a lot of copyrights with these butloads of pirated music...

This however isn't the case with LR2. They host an event every year called BoF (BMS of Fighters) where a bunch of artists and charters come together to make original music, with original art and original charts. These events yield hundreds of entries a year. Though a lot of those entries are pretty bad, there's a lot of great ones too. And of course since the artists themselves are involved the charts get appropriate keysounds (it's actually required).

If you ever do decide to try LR2 and feel a little a lost, don't hesitate to PM me~~
Topic Starter
Comfy-Kun

Drace wrote:

Hm I'm not sure if you're referring to maps lacking keysounds, or maps lacking musical accuracy all together. For the latter, one thing you need to keep in mind is all the maps here are made by the users. So as you venture through the database, you'll undoubtedly come across maps that are complete shit, and maps that are pure genius. If you find something you like, try to keep note of who the mapper was so you can go fetch more maps made by the same guy, odds are you'll like those too :p

Though if you were referring to keysounds, you won't be finding a DJMax-esque experience in osu!mania. Over 99% of the maps you'll encounter here are not keysounded, but hitsounded. Meaning the sounds produced by hitting your keys are nearly completely irrelevant to the song itself. They're just there to give an auditory feedback, not to enhance the overall experience. This is do to users making maps out of music they do not own, so they can't get appropriate keysounds for those maps.
Thanks! this post was very informative!

I have noticed the keysounds... some are quite frankly very very annoying. However, I am noticing how terrible ranked auto converts can be... so yeah.

Also in a completely unrelated note, I really liked your guide on osu mania and how everything is patterns. It is almost like me when I practice sight reading in real sheet music, it is almost the same approach! This helped me jump form Beginner to Novice in just a few days.
Drace
Glad I could help

Just forgot to mention something though it seems you most likely already know. In osu!mania there's 2 types of maps: autoconverts and mania-specifics. Autoconverts are maps machine-converted from maps mapped for the osu!standard mode. They're completely incoherent and useless. Stay away from those, kill them with fire.

The mania-specific ones are maps where the users mapped them FOR osu!mania so the maps are actually making sense. You can select "osu!mania" in the dropdown menu while in the beatmap listing. To make sure your maps aren't autoconverts, they should have the 5k keyboard logo on them in-game. Also when you play them in osu!standard mode it should still plays as a mania map anyways. If you play the map in osu!standard and you find yourself playing osu!standard, you got yourself an osu!standard map that was being automatically converted to mania. Burn it :)
Bobbias
Not to be that guy, but this really should have been posted here instead: t/172151

The whole point of that thread is for random questions like this.
Tear
I just want to mention that using alternate default hitsounds can help with timing, such as the ones in my skin. Defaults are rather long and blend in with the music well, which is exactly what you don't want to happen if you want to compare them against the song's rhythm to correct yourself.
Bobbias
I play FL, and use alternate keysounds to help with accuracy. Short ones like the ones in this (not my video) can be very helpful:

I've gotten to the point where if my hitsounds sound on time with the music, but the offset meter shows I'm early/late consistently, there's a very good chance the offset is wrong (differences of less than 5ms can be noticed sometimes!)
ikzune
different songs have different offset values compared to the real beat of a song due to their mapping and how well they can recognise timing difference, normally everyone has their own offset values for songs and its up to you to tamper with that and find how the offset in the song compares to your own which is likely to be more accurate coming from a musical background
Bobbias
While you're somewhat right, it's a bad idea to make a custom offset for every map you encounter or anything like that. Most maps that aren't o2jam conversions or just complete garbage will probably have a correct or very close to correct offset. Coming from a musical background is not going to help you tell the difference between being off by 3ms and being off by 20ms without making use of the timing bar.

If you don't already, I highly suggest you turn this option on:

This will create a timing bar on the bottom of the screen that looks like this:

The vertical lines represent when you press the key compared to the timing of the notes you're trying to hit. If it's to the left of the middle, you're early, if it's to the right, you're late. The small white triangle represents the average timing if your last few hits.
kidlat020
also make sure you're not playing auto-converts!!!!

only play the song that is mapped for mania as the converts is just horrible no question.

edit: oh damn. already mentioned. ignore this post.