forum

Competition: Designing challenge artwork!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
With such a big community, it is kind of disappointing we don't have any team members that are good at artwork. I mean art that doesn't involve only vector shapes (which LuigiHann and I handle quite efficiently). Therefore I have decided to have a little competition to try and get some of you guys to help out, both in short-term and possibly a more permanent role on the time if you are reliable ;).

Some of you may already be familiar with the challenge system. Every 10 minutes or so, a new challenge is presented in chat, with the first user to complete the challenge winning. This will have its own scoreboard and it will be a very dynamic and competitive system if all works out.

The thing is, don't want to make it fully public until we have some nice artwork. I feel we need some witty, comical and colourful art for each challenge, so it can be displayed both on the website and quite possibly in-game on competing a challenge. At the moment I have a short list of challenges which have already been decided on, but quite a few more will proabably follow.

I am looking for a consistent design through the whole set of images, so unless you have the dedication and spare time to complete this project, please don't bother entering.

Here are the criteria:
  1. Submit two images for two of the current challenges (see below). If you submit more, mark the two you want judged.
  2. They should not include any text (you can sign them if you keep it very subtle).
  3. They must have some kind of artwork involving the theme of the challenge.
  4. A common theme joining them together would be very preferable (think pippi or similar!).
  5. The images must be of dimensions 500x100 (template image follows).
  6. They must be in 24-bit png format.
  7. Please make it something more than simple vector shapes (or a collage of existing sprites)! I can do that myself :P.
The prize for the winner will be:
  1. Getting your art used on a new ranking system!
  2. Your choice of: a 1 year osu! subscription or osu! pin + osu! magnet set.
Note that you will have the role of designing future challenge graphics as well!! You can't run away.

Deadline for submissions is the 14th of March at UTC12:00. Judging will occur after this point, and a winner will be decided within a week after the deadline (though likely much sooner). Judging will be a combination of public vote and a final decision by myself and the osu! team.

Current Challenges:
  1. Shoot for the S!: Get S or SS rank on challenge map.
  2. Don't Miss!: Pass the map with no misses.
  3. Just Pass!: Pass the map - no conditions.
  4. Catch 'em all!: Pass the map on Catch the Beat mode.
  5. Bash that drum!: Pass the map on Taiko mode.
  6. Don't let it burst!: No combo bursts (<30 combo).
  7. Drop 10!: Miss exactly 10 hits.
  8. Lights Out!: Pass on flashlight.
  9. Ghostbuster!: Pass on hidden.
Please post your submissions in a single post in this thread. Please avoid posting anything else unless you have questions. I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

Edit #1: Changed criteria for text inclusion in submissions.
Edit #2: Changed dimensions to 500x100px.
Edit #3: Extended deadline by two weeks.

anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
An64fan
Could I collaborate with someone, if another artist was willing? I've started working on a new art style and I think it would be quite good for something like this, but I'm not particularly comfortable when I move beyond my ever-wonderful pens. While I have my moments, I'm really not all that amazing as far as colouring goes...

Also, I would personally think that the art should be in pure form and the challenge name added afterwards. This way the name can be altered at a later date if the challenge is revised or renamed.
Topic Starter
peppy

strager wrote:

Can the challenge title be modified in any way? Can punctuation be removed or things reworded?

An64fan wrote:

Also, I would personally think that the art should be in pure form and the challenge name added afterwards. This way the name can be altered at a later date if the challenge is revised or renamed.
As challenge names may not be final, I have changed the criteria. Text should no longer be included in your design - just focus on the art and theme elements.

An64fan wrote:

Could I collaborate with someone, if another artist was willing?
Yep, but you will have to split the prize should you win ;).
Azure_Kite
A rather simple style; pardon the text; it was made before you said so, and I really don't feel like reopening PS right now.

-David
-snip-
Topic Starter
peppy
Just to reiterate:

1. I am looking for artwork - not collages of existing sprites/art (yes Azure made his before the new criteria were posted so he is forgiven). Using existing pippi artwork or to an extent any game skin sprites will likely result in your entry being ignored completely.
2. No text should be present.
3. You should only post your two best entries. They should each be for a different challenge.
-David
-snip-
fartownik
Don't let it burst!

Something like this? It's just an example, I'll probably make more of them.
(accidentally made in 520x100 instead of 520x120, please ignore this one :PP)
Topic Starter
peppy
You know, I think I prefer the 100px height over 120. I guess it's still early on enough that I can change the dimensions, right? :P.

@fartownik: that's looking like a good start. feels a bit empty but at lesat we have something original going :).
pokefreak94
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Metroid
Just me messing around with trying to make one that fits with Shoot for the S! challenge.
I just noticed the gold to grey gradient looks similar to MW2's menu color scheme.

SPOILER
This is a reference to FPS Doug's "BOOM! HEADSHOT" Catchphrase
-David
-snip-
Ph0X
SPOILER
This turned out worst than i thought it would, didn't even bother saving and uploading, just took a screenshot

EDIT: someone, please stop me :<

EDIT: None of these are here for consideration, feel free to completly ignore tihs post
Rokodo
Bash that drum!

Lights Out!

See my awesome lineart. orz I tried...
fartownik

peppy wrote:

Just to reiterate:

1. I am looking for artwork - not collages of existing sprites/art (yes Azure made his before the new criteria were posted so he is forgiven). Using existing pippi artwork or to an extent any game skin sprites will likely result in your entry being ignored completely.
2. No text should be present.
3. You should only post your two best entries. They should each be for a different challenge.
Topic Starter
peppy

Davidz123 wrote:

I made my dimensions 500x120 before you changed them. Is my art still acceptable?
Sure, why not.

Guys, keep in mind I am NOT LOOKING FOR TEXT + SHAPES + FILTERS. I can't stress this enough. I am looking for drawn art with some amount of creativity that will cause people to smile when they see it.

Changed criteria for submissions. You can submit as many as you want, but mark the two you want judged primarily if you do this.
awp
here's some

judge 1 and 3 I guess, 2 isn't as cute (2 is the pass/fail sign I fucked up ordering because I had to fix something okay)

also pretend you're seeing a star in the background akin to the template image for each of these. I just didn't wanna replicate it.

Also I didn't name the challenges intuitively. If you can't figure out which challenge a particular design is for, then that design is a failure.

aRiskOfRain

awp wrote:

-images-
Hell yea, those are good.
Mashley
I dunno lol

show more