forum

the OMORI manga's 1st chapter is out for free!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
npc_BeaniCraft
(Link)

(note: it is US and JP exclusive right now though.)
lostsilver
whoaaaa
Reyalp51
my switch copy of omori has not arrived yet and it has been 2 fucking years
Topic Starter
npc_BeaniCraft

Reyalp51 wrote:

MY GOD, I'M SO SORRY FOR YOU...
Patatitta
"Not available in your region"

time to wait for the mangadex reupload I guess
lostsilver

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

Reyalp51 wrote:

MY GOD, I'M SO SORRY FOR YOU...
f in the chat for reyalp's omori copy
gravykins
omg waaiit i love omori and I never even heard about this!! im so exited to read it o.o
Patatitta
update: TMO already released a spanish scanlation lmao

just read it, i'm mixed

if you haven't played the game, you're not going to understand shit, the adaptation isn't faithful, as it's basically stats in what would be a middle section of the game, yet the plot doesn't even try to do anything of it's own so it's just a least concise and worse told version of the omori plot

I don't get why this exists
Mother Nature
If you can't access to the link, you can click on this OMORI manga PDF instead : https://t.co/nwsKWIUa2h
MaxIsABigKaiju
This is great! I can already see an anime of this in the works!!!
Patatitta

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

this really isn't going to happen
Reyalp51

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

reffty_gag

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

oh no, i cant handle this
Patatitta

reffty_gag wrote:

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

I can't imagine this being more than 1 volume long, I really doubt an anime is going to happen, they have already gone through 1/3 of the story in the first chapter
reffty_gag

Patatitta wrote:

reffty_gag wrote:

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

I can't imagine this being more than 1 volume long, I really doubt this is going to happen, they have already gone through 1/3 of the story in the first chapter
ok, im ready to depressed for the second time
Achromalia

Patatitta wrote:

reffty_gag wrote:

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

I can't imagine this being more than 1 volume long, I really doubt an anime is going to happen, they have already gone through 1/3 of the story in the first chapter
interestingly... i think fanmade artwork may be able to approximate something that could create the substance for a manga, maybe also an anime

there is a lot of room to extend past source material and simply elaborate on and view existing material as merely midpoints in something more intricate and interpersonally meaningful between the characters, as well as being more significant for the interiority of each character's internal mental lives and their internal narratives of headspaces

...or maybe it's just because i like to imagine it being possible
i find a lot of comfort in stories that aren't totally plot, where imagination and whimsy can be plot/substance itself that characterizes the experience better even if not necessarily directly serving another relevant purpose
that being said, ig that imagination/whimsy probably would have to have something there, something present, to draw interest from

idk im not really thinking very clearly at the moment but thats probably something close to what came to mind
but i know i meant to go somewhere else, to say something else... i just dont have it in me to look for it

edit: actually only now started to read it. loveee the artstyle, the sentimentality/expressiveness of it. i think what it really is missing is patience, i already notice how we just skip to places to move events along. i think it was really meaningful that the game had you actually move yourself and bring yourself to these places. there is just no introspection, there is no internal monologue, other than memories of other people talking. sunny is always silent. i kind of imagine that pattern continues throughout the manga, and i think that will really sabotage some of the experience of having material to read

it may be a personal preference, but i just like seeing through characters' heads, knowing what they think/feel (as well as how thoughts/feelings are evoked by which things at which times in which environments), knowing their sensory experience of the world and what they notice, how they notice it, what kind of viewpoint they take in order to frame things and rationalize things...

or at least, i always wanted to do that for my own stories...
Patatitta
I just really don't like the direction to the manga, just feels like fanservice and nothing else, first chapter skips through a lot of essential plot and just starts with the fan favourite scene, again, look at it from the context of someone that hasn't played omori, it just doesn't hold
Achromalia

Patatitta wrote:

I just really don't like the direction to the manga, just feels like fanservice and nothing else, first chapter skips through a lot of essential plot and just starts with the fan favourite scene, again, look at it from the context of someone that hasn't played omori, it just doesn't hold
(unsure if this is a general comment or a reply, assuming both were applicable)

no i do agree with that, though i guess there are distinctions to be made in what exactly is noticed and addressed in "no internal dialogue, impatient pacing" and "fanservice, skipping through essential plot, inaccessibly insubstantial"

i enjoy it, i imagine and infer a lot of "experience" from what's visualized in it, partly thanks to having watched omori be played and seeing through most of all plot points (although not necessarily remembering them), not just explicit plot but also imaginary sensory experience. for me that's substantive/meaningful enough, even in being taken as tenuously flimsy vignettes
Puppet
I havent read manga in a while but this seems pretty fun.
I AM VERY SMART
Ohhh nice! I might read it today idk
Patatitta
bumping, second chapter came out like a few days ago, it's weird, I feel chapter 2 could have been a better chapter 1 and chapter 1 should have been chapter 28
Reyalp51

Reyalp51 wrote:

update on this it seems omocat doesnt want to translate the game to spanish and my fisical copy has has been canceled
and sadly no one here sells the game at a decent prize
I AM VERY SMART

Reyalp51 wrote:

$19.99 is already a decent price for what the game has to offer.
Nuuskamuikkunen

Patatitta wrote:

bumping, second chapter came out like a few days ago, it's weird, I feel chapter 2 could have been a better chapter 1 and chapter 1 should have been chapter 28
in medias res momento
Reyalp51

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Reyalp51 wrote:

$19.99 is already a decent price for what the game has to offer.
i meant i want the physical switch copy, if i want one i would have to buy it from overseas wich is way more expensive than that and im not gonna do that
I AM VERY SMART
KEL IS GOOD AT BASKETBALL AND CANBALL?? OMG???

Patatitta
honestly i'm a little bit sad that the manga sucks because the art is quite good
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

honestly i'm a little bit sad that the manga sucks because the art is quite good
The story is quite complex to understand in the manga. There are a lot of elements from the game that have been skipped, so for someone who has played Omori a long time ago, it doesn't reflect the consistency and fluidity that the game had. I'd say it's not really a bad thing otherwise the manga will take hundreds of chapters to be finished, but I really recommend playing the game for those who haven't done so

I'm also contemplating the artstyle of the manga, but am I the only one who thinks that the characters look way younger here? I swear they have the body of a 10 y.o. child LOL
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

The story is quite complex to understand in the manga. There are a lot of elements from the game that have been skipped, so for someone who has played Omori a long time ago, it doesn't reflect the consistency and fluidity that the game had. I'd say it's not really a bad thing otherwise the manga will take hundreds of chapters to be finished, but I really recommend playing the game for those who haven't done so

I'm also contemplating the artstyle of the manga, but am I the only one who thinks that the characters look way younger here? I swear they have the body of a 10 y.o. child LOL
I don't really see the point of the manga, for the fans of the videogame it's not good because half of the thing has been skipped and for new people the story isn't really engaging as it plays hard into fandom culture and inside jokes that they wouldn't know
Reyalp51

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I don't really see the point of the manga, for the fans of the videogame it's not good because half of the thing has been skipped and for new people the story isn't really engaging as it plays hard into fandom culture and inside jokes that they wouldn't know
yeah same with the yume nikki manga, its cool art for fanservice but it doesnt justify its existence beyond that