forum

[assigned] Mapping Ecosystem Changes - BN Ecosystem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hivie

Mapping Ecosystem Changes

The following changes serve to make contributing more easily accessible to the community, which consequently improves upon and simplifies all current systems in place for the mapping and modding community.

Simplifying BN activity requirements

BN activity requirements have grown increasingly complex with unconventional exceptions that tackle niche scenarios, so we want to simplify it!

Proposed rules are as followed:

1. A BN must nominate at least two maps per month.
  2. If they have fewer nominations in one month, they will be warned.
  3. If they get consecutive activity warnings, they will be removed.
  4. A Hybrid BN must have at least 1 nomination per proficient game mode.
This allows the system to be fully automated, reducing the overhead of keeping up with absence notices, in favor of making minimum activity more lax overall.
This also removes the maximum activity limit.

Important clarification:

To elaborate on how this will work, a user will only be removed if they get two consecutive warnings, and the amount of non-consecutive warnings does not matter, so as long as a BN is not below the requirements for 2 months in a row, they are fine.

If a BN's potenial absence would exceed a month, they are encouraged to resign and re-join whenever they are able to comfortably operate as a BN, given that a good terms resignation is relatively easy to attain if a user doesn't have any outstanding or upcoming punishments (that are not activity-related).

Examples:

Number is nomination count per month.
Green = pass; Orange = warning; Red = kick

3-1-2-5-0-2-1-0: user is kicked at this point

3-0-2-1-2-0-1: user is kicked at this point

15-0-2-0-0: user is kicked at this point

7-4-1-1: user is kicked at this point

Repurposing probation

Probation never really made sense as a demotion position, and often served as a public shaming tool with its limitations being irrelevant to the intended warnings.

So, probation will only be used for new BNs who have no past BN experience, and users will no longer be in probation after a month regardless of their evaluation consensus. That way, it can serve its original purpose of being a technical safeguard and a learning period for new BNs.

Removal of mock evaluations

Mock evaluations became pretty much unused because they turned out to be redundant with NATs focusing more on BN evaluator rounds due to the added benefits from that (involving BNs with the full evaluation process, getting to work with them directly, etc.).

Note: This does not apply to osu!catch

Simplifying cooldowns

In an effort to reduce overcomplications and obscure use cases, we noticed that most non-default cooldowns are rarely used, and don't serve any meaningful difference.

Hence why we will be setting a 60-day cooldown for anything relevant (namely application rejections, BN removals, standard terms resignations), while having no cooldown for BNs who have resigned on good terms.

Early evaluations for highly active BNs

Evaluations for BNs who are extremely active can end up overlooking large percentages of maps in the eval period and also cause the system to be too retroactive.

Therefore, the NAT will evaluate users once 3 months pass (as usual), or when they reach 30 nominations since their last evaluation, whichever comes first.

Giving BNs a say in mapping system developments

We want BNs to be more involved with deciding what's best for our beloved circle game, and since there hasn't been a straightforward way to do this until now, we'll be re-kindling the Beatmap Management subforum!

It will be a space for BNs to propose and discuss potential changes to the mapping ecosystem, with the NAT actively monitoring said discussions in order to make sure everyone's voice is heard and to implement whatever changes the community desires.

These are not final changes, but are proposals. We highly appreciate your input whether you're supporting these, want to discuss potential issues, or provide alternative solutions/approaches!
wafer
Is the only way for BNs to be kicked with this proposal now only low activity? Since probation doesnt exist?

Or is it from full to kicked

Other wise seems alright. Might be discouraging to get high activity for some users now though, not sure how much of a risk that is. Maybe x amount of noms within a month triggers an eval?
Topic Starter
Hivie
BNs can still get warnings for mod/map quality or behavior, they'll just stay as full, then be kicked if things don't improve.
Monoseul
For the BN activity would that mean that:

2-0-2-0-2-0 etc.. would be okay for a BN to do since all it takes is two warnings in a row for a kick in this regard? Since it also says that the number of non-consecutive warnings don't matter
Topic Starter
Hivie

Monoseul wrote:

For the BN activity would that mean that:

2-0-2-0-2-0 etc.. would be okay for a BN to do since all it takes is two warnings in a row for a kick in this regard? Since it also says that the number of non-consecutive warnings don't matter
Correct.
Ozato Fumika
I like it very much
superstore

wafer wrote:

Is the only way for BNs to be kicked with this proposal now only low activity? Since probation doesnt exist?

Or is it from full to kicked

Other wise seems alright. Might be discouraging to get high activity for some users now though, not sure how much of a risk that is. Maybe x amount of noms within a month triggers an eval?
girl it says that they get evaled when they reach 30 noms or in 3 months whichever comes first lol
Noffy

wafer wrote:

I think it has its pros and cons.

On one hand, more evals means more frequent eyes on someone, but it also means we can be more proactive to help people that are struggling before an issue balloons up too much using hopefully gentler methods. It can also provide more balanced evaluations since we'd have a better idea of how they're doing by being able to look at their nominations more comprehensively, both the good and not as good ones.

And rather than limiting a BN's nominations for sanity, there is the freedom to nominate more often too.
FuJu
^ Yea, I'd say its pretty necessary because we are removing the upper activity limit.
Antalf
I believe that the change done to the probation role is a good one. It will actually serve it’s original purpose of being an introductory stage for people who are new to the BN scene instead of a punishment.
Ryax
Changes to probation feel spot-on, it always felt as more of an inconvenience than anything.
Drum-Hitnormal
overall good changes, no complaint

what i like most is this part: Giving BNs a say in mapping system developments
and removal of max activity, never understood why that's a hard rule, if quality drop just kick for quality, or kick for behavior.
Nevo
Would clarify that old bns rejoining after a year (or whatever the cd is for it) would be placed in probation. Since this kinda implies that I can rejoin bn after x years and be made full right off the bat

:nyab:
RandomeLoL
No real comments to add. For the most part I like the changes, especially with simplicity in mind.

However, I'm still a bit mixed on the activity changes. I understand the goal is to avoid that members stay more than 2 consecutive months without meeting activity requirements, and that they're encouraged to resign and then return with relative ease whenever they can continue.

I just hope the activity kicks aren't fully automatic, and that the NAT has agency on all the cards generated by low activity so they can maybe approach the BNs, see what's up, and ultimately either postpone the activity card for an extra month to dismiss it, or to act on it immediately.
achyoo
In support! Nothing much to add other than what RandomeLol has said, hope the system is not automatic.

I remember when elicz1 used to reach out to BNs when their activity fell low (for standard). Please continue doing that! It's very humanizing and gentler way to handle activity issues imo.

EDIT: Some non-BN users brought this up to me

Are 2-0-2-0-2-0-2-0 accepted? Like I know under the rules this is not wrong but is it frowned upon or would NATs not care and say it is acceptable?

Seems like a good way to farm tenure while not doing anything if you ask me.
lenpai
i really hope the considerations for acitivty do not really get all that automated (some leeway is given), cause it discourages giving extra effort to complex or heavy sets for checking, or at least it encourages having activity padding on the side while checking said complex sets

consider the weight of effort between a 2 diff music box set vs an 4 diff 5min+ set.
Maxus
Said this before about my concern, but i do think the activity part cannot be completely automated and still need to at least have some NAT touches in it, even if the original intention is to completely simplify things.

I sort of agree about the potential concern happening from constant 2-0-2-0 happened, this was already voiced to me multiple times, so there needs to at least be some adjustment on that to not demotivate BNs further down the road.

The rest aside of that seems fine enough though.
timemon
Why not go with average of 6 nominations every 90 days? I think that’s harder to game the activity check. allowing something like 2-0-2-0-2 just allows people to do lower than the intended minimum activity.

Plus, it’s more forgiving and having bn to quit and rejoin for a month causes more overhead which doesn’t seem like simplification to me.
gzdongsheng
Mainly get some concerns about the activity requirement, and i think some have brought up that too. Just that under this change it would kick BNs with activity like 10-1-1, while case like 2-0-2-0-2, will survive if we solely check monthly activity, which doesn't feel that right

Another thing i get from it is that it seems unclear how good terms resign should be measured if the 90d activity check is gone
BlackBN
Overall looks good, and I agree with the above people that the BN activity check system should not be automatic.

Also, looks like BN kicking is not mentioned in this proposal, could I assume that it's same as before? Like:
- Instant kick for really severe modding/behavior issues
- Formal warning for concerning modding/bevavior issues, then kick if no improvement/not significant enough

---

Edit:
gzdongsheng has a good point. Would that possible to give some leniency for high activity BNs? Like if a BN reached x amount of nominations then they can get a "ticket" in the system and have an exception from activity check for one or two months.
show more