forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ziassan

Kheldragar wrote:

What do you play? What is your goal for the map? How often do you retry? How many hours a day do you play?
Hmm I tried all kind of maps (4~5 stars) to break this 30k limit, I still prefer jumpy maps with tricky patterns over fast-streamy maps, I like insane with low ar/bpm but these are almost non existant. The thing is their is always that one random miss never at the same point, where even watching the replay I often don't see how it was a miss. I end up with 5 stars at 98% with one miss in the middle and never FC the map~
Even my top rank score has a miss near the middle.

Also I avoid long maps since after 1min my hand get sweaty and the pencil end up in weird positions almost out of hand so I do mostly 1~2min maps or maps with a lot of breaks to pause.

The goal is often to FC (or almost) with 95%+
Usually retrying 2/3 times then moving to another map ('cause it get worst with more tries), but since I was never FCing any map worth PP like that I try to play the same map 40~ times in a row tho the result isn't really better. And 1h/day, more is not possible with full-time work and others stuffs.
I didn't loose all hopes but fast gain in rank followed by totally stuck state is hard for motivation ahah.
Mahogany
If you want slower, jumpy maps with patterns, that's basically my entire top plays list. Try some of the maps I have. (Some of them are rather long though)
ZenithPhantasm
Buy tablet to become sanic speed player.
Mahogany
False, I'm probably the slowest person on this board and probably the strongest tablet advocate only behind maybe Khel
Yuudachi-kun
Tablet stronk

....too stronk.
Ziassan

Mahoganytooth wrote:

False, I'm probably the slowest person on this board and probably the strongest tablet advocate only behind maybe Khel
That and the only 2 guys who went in the top 50 of Time Freez nomod (a map made for speed people, really) were mouse players (Angelsim & Doomsday).
E m i

Ziassan wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

That and the only 2 guys who went in the top 50 of Time Freez nomod (a map made for speed people, really) were mouse players (Angelsim & Doomsday).
what could they be, aim players? :^)
felicitousname

Kheldragar wrote:

Tablet stronk

....too stronk.
Tablet might be strong for aim, but doesn't do shit for my acc and speed. If your strongest attribute was 100, I would be like this:

Reading: 20
Speed: 10
Acc: 7
Aim 100

Because my other attributes are so shitty, I have an extremely hard time improving lol. Haven't gotten better in my last 3k plays =/

I'd say I'm really bad at aim/tapping synchronization. I tap early way too often, and as a consequence have a lot of random breaks when patterns get more complex.
Yuudachi-kun
So your aim is as good as mine? Give me some of that.
Barusamikosu

Kheldragar wrote:

So your aim is as good as mine? Give me some of that.
No, gimme.
felicitousname
Oops that was a typo, I meant my.
Snusmumrikken
I read the part about changing styles and I'm wondering if I should do something about my tablet area, cause when I'm using it my hand usually in positioned on the edge and reaching the far side (notes at the top of the screen) sometimes is hard without loosening my grip on the pen and then regaining the grip is impossible without screwing up the current game. problem is I don't know how to change the effective area cause I've got a Osu!Tablet and since it doesnt have any software or anything where I can edit stuff like that I don't know how.... :?
Foxi
Thanks to this thread I fought a bear... and won.
But seriously, thanks.
Insyni
I'm at the point where I think FCing is just luck... but at the same time I realize it is a skill game and somehow people can FC songs consistently.
repr1se

Insyni wrote:

I'm at the point where I think FCing is just luck... but at the same time I realize it is a skill game and somehow people can FC songs consistently.
FCing takes skill. Getting SS is luck. Skill will get you to a 98% or 99% FC.

With that said, my aim sucks. I still manage to miss on 4.0 star maps. Kek
Insyni

Repr1se wrote:

Insyni wrote:

FCing takes skill. Getting SS is luck. Skill will get you to a 98% or 99% FC.

With that said, my aim sucks. I still manage to miss on 4.0 star maps. Kek
I mean the aim is luck it seems. Always seems there is one random miss or one random slider break that ruins the FC even though you've gotten 99% on the song 15 times already. Then after you finally FC it you can't FC it again.
repr1se

Insyni wrote:

I mean the aim is luck it seems. Always seems there is one random miss or one random slider break that ruins the FC even though you've gotten 99% on the song 15 times already. Then after you finally FC it you can't FC it again.
The infamous 1xmiss. The notorious sliderbreak. I can relate completely.

Thelewa posted it somewhere, and I can't find the thread, but he wrote that the misses are because of a lack of focus. In hindsight, almost all of my 1xmiss/sliderbreaks were because I started spacing out, or thinking about something else.
Insyni

Repr1se wrote:

The infamous 1xmiss. The notorious sliderbreak. I can relate completely.

Thelewa posted it somewhere, and I can't find the thread, but he wrote that the misses are because of a lack of focus. In hindsight, almost all of my 1xmiss/sliderbreaks were because I started spacing out, or thinking about something else.
That explains it... slower songs are so boring sometimes even if they are considered "at skill level".
Mahogany

Repr1se wrote:

Insyni wrote:

Getting SS is luck.
I disagree
Barusamikosu

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Repr1se wrote:

Getting SS is luck.
I disagree
Right. Getting SS might feel like luck because of the extreme amount of focus it takes, especially on more difficult maps. The second you lose focus or space out and pray for Obama to finish the map for you is the second you start getting 100s or misses.

Getting FC might also feel like luck for similar reasons. When you get a "shitmiss", watch your replay in slow-motion. You'll see what's making you miss (I find I usually reach the circle but don't click).
Yuudachi-kun
I think being able to get 1x100 or 2x100 on a hard map (Not those easies normals and hards like you play, Baru), is skill, but being able to go the entire map without a single 100 is luck.
Barusamikosu

Kheldragar wrote:

(Not those easies normals and hards like you play, Baru)
Those aren't the only maps I go for/get SS on.

Kheldragar wrote:

I think being able to get 1x100 or 2x100 on a hard map is skill
Yes.

Kheldragar wrote:

being able to go the entire map without a single 100 is luck.
It's still skill, but you happened to have a play where you maintained maximum focus the entire map. True luck would be something chance-based (such as your accuracy on a note being determined by RNG every time you hit one).
Yuudachi-kun
And if you only get plays where you maintain maximum focus one out of every 50 tries, is that not chance?
Mahogany
Only if you consider FCing stuff to be based on chance too

SS-ing depends on the map greatly. Some I'd consider luck to SS, some are easily attainable by a skilled and dedicated player.
OzenIce

thelewa wrote:

I just read all of this and surprisingly everything is true
Celestielle
About Snapping, could someone who knows the difference watch this replay or spectate me? I often get told my snapping is good, but when i read this i cant say certain if what im doing is half assed snapping or real snapping.
yk_

Celestielle wrote:

About Snapping, could someone who knows the difference watch this replay or spectate me? I often get told my snapping is good, but when i read this i cant say certain if what im doing is half assed snapping or real snapping.

I think the way you snap is fine.
otoed1
The hard part about all of this is realizing your bad. I've reached my rank and could probably reach 8k off of my aim alone, but i cant stream for jack and have awful accuracy most of the time.
MISTER-G
This may sound stupid, but is it really that important to snap? If so, then is it possible to get used to snapping just by playing maps that I feel are hardly reachable for me? cuz I think when I'm playing a slow map, I won't snap at all where as playing a faster map I am forced to kinda snap.
Barusamikosu

MISTER-G wrote:

This may sound stupid, but is it really that important to snap?
Only if you think it's important. Do whatever you want.
Yolshka
i would like to add that i belive if you practice correctly and efficiently snapping comes naturally at least it did for me
Deva
If you play 6-7* maps then its extremely important. Everything under that can be played by cursor dancing all the time.
And considering your rank i think that you should let it come to you naturally.
icewolf159
I would say everything is true and it has a lot of good advice. One thing I would disagree with however from my experience is the part about tablets. Even though my first attempt at using tablet failed terribly, after 3-4 days I'm already playing at the same level as I did with a mouse, and in a week I can play maps I used to have much trouble with In 2 weeks I S ranked those maps that were impossible prior to getting a tablet. While tablet didn't make me instantly better, my improvement rate quadrupled after getting a tablet.
Endaris

icewolf159 wrote:

I'm already playing at the same level as I did with a mouse
This is completely normal.
The peripherals don't matter as much. Just think please.
A lot of your skill lies in your tapping hand and in your eyes and in your brain.
When playing on an easy level of gameplay(and you certainly do) there isn't real muscle memory you can build up in terms of aim cause every map is just distance-snapped 1/1, 1/2 slider-circle spam.
So effectively 95% of your ability transfers over.

Also aiming - which is a big hurdle for mouse-users at the beginning - is much easier with tablet but you will eventually run into trouble with your cursor-stability which is a problem mouseplayers simply dont get.

Personally I would suggest you to download some beatmap packs as you seem to play only very few maps again and again which generally hinders improvement as you start to memorize the maps unconsciously.
Antlia-
actually once I started up my tablet everything got so much easier, I'm still not an awesome player but the tablet was just so much for me
7ambda
I took a break from osu! for a few months. I decide to come back, and surprisingly, I notice an improvement in my aim and stamina when I play offline.
Endaris

F1r3tar wrote:

I took a break from osu! for a few months. I decide to come back, and surprisingly, I notice an improvement in my aim and stamina when I play offline.
Connecting to Bancho=instant skilldrop? xD
Yuudachi-kun
It's actually in his head.
7ambda

Endaris wrote:

Connecting to Bancho=instant skilldrop? xD
No, I just get nervous when I play online.
7ambda

Khelly wrote:

It's actually in his head.
Nah, I got an S on a map I wasn't able to before. I got some damn nice combos on maps that were too hard beforehand.
show more