forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
ChuTwo_old
been playing sp a lot, reache lvl 52.

goes into multiplayer

gets rekked by lvls, 13, 21, everyone else.

is it because I'm playing with 2000 DPI
B1rd

iiCookiesii wrote:

been playing for 3 years and still not good
in 3 years you've played less than I do in a week?
Vuelo Eluko

ChuTwo wrote:

goes into multiplayer

it's because you think level matters :roll:
GoldenWolf

ChuTwo wrote:

goes into multiplayer

It's because you never challenge yourself and keep playing easy maps all day instead of harder one to improve
Madokaaa
In my opinion, to get better you must challange yourself alot and come to like songs that you don't like at all. I mean if you don't like Vocaloid, nightcore, brony, classic music ect. Just think about it in different way. When i started playing osu! I didn't like anything other than dubstep and electro and such. Now i like all sort of music because i play osu. Just my opinion though. :)
triplesteel
Always test your skill but don't do songs you cannot possibly do.

osu! is a very difficult game to get used to, don't give up easily

Always try new beatmaps, find something you like to listen to. This motivates you.

Another tip I have is when you're able to do 4 star+ maps, you can test yourself by going back to older easier songs and playing around with the mods like double time which obviously test your skill and ability to read maps. I play with nightcore all the time to make the song feel more varied.

If you're hands get shaky take a break.
When you get into a new song try to match up with the speed and rhythm and keep it constant.

The last tip I have is if you're using a mouse, find a position your hand is comfortable in for beats, sliders and spinners.(Don't go too hard on spinners or risk failure upon following it up.)

P.S I've been playing for more than half a year, so I'm still a little bit of a newb(can only do 3-4 stars) but I have practiced ways I can improve and am still going. :P
Klockwerk
This is all great info, and I'm sure one or many of these has applied to just about every osu! player.

This may fall under the settings section, but something I recently noticed that was holding me back was my default placement of my pen. My combos would consistently break and I wondered how I was missing such easy notes on occasion. Sometimes I was holding my pen a bit off center or starting maps off while spinning/playing around with the pen. After watching a few replays, sure enough I was over/undershooting based on where I started with my pen at the beginning. Since then I have started getting into a habit of holding dead center at the beginning and making sure I am comfortable before moving around the map.
ChuTwo_old

Klockwerk wrote:

This is all great info, and I'm sure one or many of these has applied to just about every osu! player.

This may fall under the settings section, but something I recently noticed that was holding me back was my default placement of my pen. My combos would consistently break and I wondered how I was missing such easy notes on occasion. Sometimes I was holding my pen a bit off center or starting maps off while spinning/playing around with the pen. After watching a few replays, sure enough I was over/undershooting based on where I started with my pen at the beginning. Since then I have started getting into a habit of holding dead center at the beginning and making sure I am comfortable before moving around the map.
why is this game so complicated
Dispel
That was helpfull! I'm guilty of a lot of them....
jiyo

B1rd wrote:

iiCookiesii wrote:

been playing for 3 years and still not good
in 3 years you've played less than I do in a week?
Meh, I quit for awhile due to boredom of the game but came back lol. But I'm getting alot better though x).
Juuhazan
Does using your laptop as a sort-of mousepad count as a bad habit (I guess that should be self-explanatory...)? 'Cause that's how I fail/mess up a beatmap 40% of the time: over time, I mess up my mouse positioning, and eventually fuck up. Gahh.

To-do: Go out and buy some goddanged items.
0nigiri
Just a question, Its better play a lot of harder maps even though you get bad scores or play easier maps and get good scores?
Noobsicle

Kinkosan wrote:

Just a question, Its better play a lot of harder maps even though you get bad scores or play easier maps and get good scores?
it's better to do both
zqw_old
What to do? I have a bad habit of clicking right after my cursor arrives at the next circle.
Yuri-Kouhai

Kinkosan wrote:

Ideally you want to be getting B ranks 80% on your maps if you want to improve.
Gumpy
Is the OP banned?
Amphetamine

Gumpyyy wrote:

Is the OP banned?
Kind of.
GoldenWolf
inb4 banned for cheating

"Oh the irony"
Amphetamine

ScarletStory wrote:

Ahh this question. I was waiting for it to come up eventually! The account that I started on (which I do not use period) had an "offensive" (if that's even the right word don't ask me I'm not easily offended) name and due to the fact that I had already used a supporter tag to change my name *facedesk* I did indeed have to make a new account. However, please let me stress that I don't in any way try to "trick" anyone into thinking something like "OH MY GOD 4 MONTHS AND YOU GOT AN S ON (insert difficult map here)!?!?" No, that's not me in the slightest. In fact, I said myself that playing solely to impress people was a bad reason to play and I'm no hypocrite. The account is due solely to the fact that my old account name came off as offensive to some people, and therefore, I thought it would probably be in the best interest of others and myself to just drop the account while it was still new and to make another as a means to change my name.

If someone would like to call me a multi-accounting jerk son of a b$#@*!!! I suppose they could because it's true if you take it word for word i had two accounts but after reading this over I feel i should add that i did not use them simultaneously it was a transition from one to the other within a day, however, I do not use the other account, period. I don't lie to people about how long I've played, and I wouldn't have done this if I didn't have a good reason (and the reason is a bit personal) and if i could have resolved it in some other fashion I would have.

Yes I do have another account, and no, I do not use it. I did not even want to make a new account and if it were possible I would have deleted the other account I don't use long long loooong ago. On that note, I'm not trying to sway people into thinking that multi-accounting is just fine and dandy, because it's really not. I have no doubt in my mind that, if someone who has no respect for other players or their hard work, were to do something like this, with many many accounts, a lot of people would get REALLY unfairly screwed over. They could have their ranks stolen, and have all their hard work crapped on by one person with many accounts (which i would guess is the reason why multi-accounting is not allowed). People could also be lead to believe that they aren't good enough because someone else who has been playing less time(although in actuality hasn't) got much better than them, and to some people, this can be pretty demoralizing if you've been playing for a year and someone who has been playing for "1 month" is better than you (although i do believe that most people would assume they were multi-accounting and write it off). I'm merely answering this question. As to whether or not it's excusable or inexcusable in my case or any case is up to others. I answered this question in such length because if I had just said "Yeah I have another account" the question of "Why?" would come up and then I'd have to write it out anyway. Not that i particularly mind, I just don't want people to get the wrong idea. If I really wanted to hide it I easily could have, however, I feel like lying over something so trivial would not only make me a jerk it would also destroy any credibility i had, therefore, rendering these whole thread more useless than it may already be. I mean, only a fool would take advice from a liar, unless it was advice about lying then i guess it would be okay but i could go in circles about that all day ANYWAY this is my answer take it or leave it.

GoldenWolf wrote:

inb4 banned for cheating

"Oh the irony"
:?:

Or, and this may sound just crazy so bear with me, it could (does) have some relationship to this. You should bet your money on this. *facepalm*
[ Setsuna ]
as rrtyui always said.....

"plz enjoy game"

https://ask.fm/rrtyuiyeah/answer/112852977626
gameon123321
Can I make an exception?

if you're using a method which is utterly useless (aka trackpoint, voice command, etc.) it's ok to upgrade to a spare mouse (or use this as an excuse to get a good mouse). Of course, most methods can be played with (although some are frustrating).

Good advice!
akitoApocalypse
I know I'm still pretty new but somehow I find that I play osu better after I eat something and relax a little...
Accel Walker
nice thread, and suprisingly it's true

rest in peace OP
Amphetamine

Accel Walker wrote:

nice thread, and suprisingly it's true

rest in peace OP
As much as I regret this at times, I'm not dead yet. I do, however, appreciate the sentiment.
Pichu0102
Problem: If I have mouse sensitivity up, I can make longer jumps. Difficulty: With mouse sensitivity up, my hand can't keep the cursor steady; it shakes all over the place if I try a small movement or hold it idle.
Also, my wrist always seems to be glued to the mousepad and I can't make it move in time. Any tips on overcoming these issues?

Edit: An example of shakiness.
Amphetamine

Pichu0102 wrote:

Problem: If I have mouse sensitivity up, I can make longer jumps. Difficulty: With mouse sensitivity up, my hand can't keep the cursor steady; it shakes all over the place if I try a small movement or hold it idle.
Also, my wrist always seems to be glued to the mousepad and I can't make it move in time. Any tips on overcoming these issues?

Edit: An example of shakiness.
As I've never used a mouse, I cannot give you any special advice, with that being, I also won't just tell you, "GET A TABLET!" Now, from what I have heard, generally sensitivity for a mouse, in osu!, is best at 1.0 to prevent "cursor freaking out". If you want my advice I generally go with the idea of using modifications to sensitivity/area as less as I possibly can. I do that because, in the past, if I used any area other than full I was tempted to change it around, and because of that, I never stuck with something long enough for me to get good at using it. Also, I just generally feel like the learning curve is steeper but then you won't have to worry as much about changing mouses and possible incompatibility issues to where you have to change settings around again. Honestly, it's whatever works best for you. As far as your wrist being glued to the mousepad is concerned, I would say, that's just something that you need to work on over time. Although I don't really know why that's a problem, since I don't use a mouse, I would probably just advise you to pay attention to your mouse and make an effort (and it will probably be difficult/annoying) to keep your wrist off of the mousepad at all times.
Good luck~~!
lemonadejuice_old
I wonder if someone have tips/articles/thread about how to ... well, start combining tablet and keyboard. I know this is a stupid questions. but i really want to change my playstyle, ( as till right now i'm a tablet-tap player) ;;w;;

It frustrated me that i couldn't hit the circles on time and start panic (yes, i got panic and always immediately change to tablet-tap) when using keyboard too
Xaffy

lemonadejuice wrote:

I wonder if someone have tips/articles/thread about how to ... well, start combining tablet and keyboard. I know this is a stupid questions. but i really want to change my playstyle, ( as till right now i'm a tablet-tap player) ;;w;;

It frustrated me that i couldn't hit the circles on time and start panic (yes, i got panic and always immediately change to tablet-tap) when using keyboard too
In options turn on "Disable mouse buttons in play mode".
Skelliiiie
i keep ''freezing'' when i play faster maps all the time, idk what to do about it. :/
eterpay
"Practising with bad habits"

So true when it comes to playing instruments...
[ Kosuna ]

ScarletStory wrote:

the only person you should try to impress is yourself.
ok
Luke Lack Luck
Short streams up to 260bpm (like 3 up to 9 notes) does not make real threat for me, but I've found issues in longstreams over 200bpm. I can barely pass 6 seconds then I'm rapidly going down to 100's and 50's and then failing beatmap. Can't really find out what's the reason of my disconcentration. Any tips? :cry:
Focusing on a thread - is it like "forget about the world - just focus on playing"? :roll:
Lex TheGayOtter
I kinda aim to impress others on osu, but it's mainly my friends who also play who I aim to impress with replays, we like to impress each other :p
GoldenWolf

iLoveYordles wrote:

Short streams up to 260bpm (like 3 up to 9 notes) does not make real threat for me, but I've found issues in longstreams over 200bpm. I can barely pass 6 seconds then I'm rapidly going down to 100's and 50's and then failing beatmap. Can't really find out what's the reason of my disconcentration. Any tips? :cry:
Focusing on a thread - is it like "forget about the world - just focus on playing"? :roll:
you lack something called "stamina"
-Okami-
Well about keeping the same settings. i have been gradually increasing my dpi because at first i had like 800 dpi mouse and it was really hard when i set my new mouse to 3000 right away soo i played with a bit higher than 800 for a while then increased again and then again. For me it was much easier than jumpign right in with high dpi
-Makishima S-
Few questions from me, as new player, person who love listening music and is kinda binded to his small personal smartphone with loads of songs.

1) How i should force my first steps in OSU. So far i just found songs what i realy like to listen and on Normal difficulty i get normaly rank C. I managed ONE time on Easy mode to get S rank but that was like year ago when i found OSU (abandoned it due work and real life issues so consider it as i am starting from scrach, newbie, etc).

2) I tryed hard difficulty and i cannot pass even first seconds of any song, simply speed of bits is too damn high for me that i cannot follow nodes. Should i force myself to repeatly do same song like tousent of times till i get used to fast speed or stick for easy/normals at start now?

3) Passed some bitmaps from "Recommended Difficulty" and it went pretty decent, one even A rank after like 4-5 times (few repeats per try), should i stick to recommended once or just go and play songs what i know and like? Do actualy playing songs what i hear first time in my life is better for me and will help improve?

Thanks for advice guys and cheers!

@Edit - I am mouse user.
akitoApocalypse
I found at the beginning when I first played that it wasn't as easy as I thought.
Sure I could follow with my eyes, but doing it with a mouse was way harder.
Not to mention that you have to click too which quickly overloads your mind.
I find that eating before you play and getting some sleep helps alot in terms of accuracy.
I don't know why, but it works for me.
The guide for total beginners:

1) Play the easy maps. No you aren't good enough for normal yet.
-If you can't do it, play it on half speed. Get used to pressing x instead of clicking, it helps much more
-Also, try to sync your ears to the beat. No beatmap is there without a beat. :)
2) Once you're better, go on to normal
-Basically, same thing, just try more. It may take a long time before you can get to hard. I have been playing for a month and I can only manage to get B's and C's on hard.
3) PRACTICE
-I know that some people think that they can get by without actually trying but believe me, you have to practice. Practice makes perfect, right?

Tips:
-To get better at listening to the beat, enable the Hidden mod and try and figure out when you are supposed to click. No peeking!
-To get better at accuracy and to get your body to adjust to new beatmaps, play on Hard Rock. It flips the map over the x axis and makes the hit circles smaller, so accuracy matters more.

P.S. If you find that your cursor is lagging,
1) Go to options
2) Go to frame rate
3) Change FPS to unlimited
This is implemented to keep people from cheating by making the fps low.

Enjoy playing osu! :D
Nyxa
It's not wise to give objective advice to subjective players with arbitrary skillsets~
GoldenWolf

Tess wrote:

It's not wise to give objective advice to subjective players with arbitrary skillsets~
Yet they're all the perfect ingredients to make up some placebo effects
-sev
Something I've been meaning to ask.. Is raw input that necessary if you play with a mouse? I recently got a G400s and set it to 800dpi and 1.0x in game, but I forgot to turn raw input on so I've just been playing like that for a little over a week. Enhance pointer precision is off in G400s settings, and I'm pretty sure it was off when I checked Windows settings a while back.

I also tampered with the windows sensitivity because I had to use a touchpad for a while (previous mouse broke so I couldn't play), and forgot it there. I checked it and it's on 8/11 now. Should I tone it down to default?

If it is better to play with raw input on, how much should I conpensate in dpi? I play on 1600x900 native resolution and with raw input on the cursor gets way too slow for me.

*I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask, I just guessed that my settings could be potentially messing with how I play.
show more