forum

[Archived] Unable to write to file error - how do I fix this?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tity
post title - beatmap won't allow me to save changes

it used to let me save back when i was actually creating, uploading and updating the beatmap until today

video showing it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP9Th7fU-2U

beatmap in question: beatmapsets/1811358#osu/3715371

please help.
skylersoup
it's like that for me too
Death
The file name looks like it's probably too long. Try shortening the artist or title to see if that helps.
sytho
ive been having this issue with every single beatmap that i make idk why
- Marco -

Sytho wrote:

Death wrote:

You most likely put some notes before the first timing point then. That is usually what causes this issue.

Move your first red timing point earlier in the map and that should hopefully fix it.
Death

- Marco - wrote:

Sytho wrote:

Death wrote:

You most likely put some notes before the first timing point then. That is usually what causes this issue.

Move your first red timing point earlier in the map and that should hopefully fix it.
The reply you quoted is completely unrelated to the issue in this thread.

Anyway, I just double checked because I didn't originally count the length of the file name in the video provided in the original post, and it seems like it's short enough (just barely). So this could havd to do with the beatmap save changes that were made today: home/changelog/stable40/20220829

I would try shortening it anyway though, just to make sure. I will test later if no one beats me to it.
Topic Starter
tity

Death wrote:

- Marco - wrote:

Sytho wrote:

Death wrote:

The reply you quoted is completely unrelated to the issue in this thread.

Anyway, I just double checked because I didn't originally count the length of the file name in the video provided in the original post, and it seems like it's short enough (just barely). So this could havd to do with the beatmap save changes that were made today: home/changelog/stable40/20220829

I would try shortening it anyway though, just to make sure. I will test later if no one beats me to it.
ive tried shortening it by removing the tsukimishi part in the title, and I still get the save error. probably has something to do with the new save changes
Death
Would you be able to report this on GitHub providing your beatmap as an example? https://github.com/ppy/osu-stable-issues/issues

I cannot reproduce this with your map or any other map.
Topic Starter
tity
will do sooner or later thanks
peppy
A temporary solution is to move your osu install somewhere less deep in your path. We'll push a potential fix out for this today or tomorrow.
Topic Starter
tity
thank you
peppy
A fix has been deployed to cutting edge, please give it a try.
Reconquer

peppy wrote:

looks like its fixed im not getting the error anymore
Topic Starter
tity

peppy wrote:

Still fails to save (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNdcUVo_--g)

in case its an issue with the beatmap itself heres a download to the version currently on my pc
Topic Starter
tity
update: my current temporary solution is to use Mapping Tools' better save feature

I still don't know why it's this beatmap specifically, and why it refuses to save even on cutting edge
Worthlessnut9
hey im posting this here because i think its relevant but it it also also not saving on the stable version too
THAT_otaku

Worthlessnut9 wrote:

hey im posting this here because i think its relevant but it it also also not saving on the stable version too
This is because the fix has only been deployed to cutting edge, like ppy said
Worthlessnut9

THAT_otaku wrote:

Worthlessnut9 wrote:

This is because the fix has only been deployed to cutting edge, like ppy said
ok, i did not see that
skylersoup

Ralsricat wrote:

update: my current temporary solution is to use Mapping Tools' better save feature

I still don't know why it's this beatmap specifically, and why it refuses to save even on cutting edge
same for me for some odd reason
your beatmap fails to save when i edit it
[HD]Draftz
Hello there guys, I'm having the same issue with this beatmap. beatmapsets/1818498#mania/3731041

Exactly the same issue, and if I try to edit the .osz file with notepad, the whole mapset gets corrupted. Still can't save, add news diffs, nothing in Cutting Edge version.

I had to rename the folder to a shorter name to submit it, but I guess if you download the map and try to change the OD or HP, you wouldn't be able to due to this error.

Pretty bad for players that want to edit the map to adjust the difficulty to their own taste but whatever, oh and, Cutting Edge version did not fix it for me.
Zelzatter Zero

[HD]Draftz wrote:

Exactly the same issue, and if I try to edit the .osz file with notepad, the whole mapset gets corrupted. Still can't save, add news diffs, nothing in Cutting Edge version.
You mean .osu file? .osz is the zip file, not the text file.

Also strange since I could edit and save every single maps you guys mentioned even in both stable and cutting-edge. Maybe did I miss something here?
Death

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Also strange since I could edit and save every single maps you guys mentioned even in both stable and cutting-edge. Maybe did I miss something here?
If you have osu! installed to a location on your computer that has a short path (like D:\osu! for example), you won't experience this issue as frequently.
awsumturtle

Death wrote:

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

If you have osu! installed to a location on your computer that has a short path (like D:\osu! for example), you won't experience this issue as frequently.
I have it actually in D:\osu, still running into this issue. Tried cutting edge and didn't help.
Dakila
community/forums/topics/1927131?n=1 bumping this thread as a friend of mine is experiencing the exact same issue except not just with one beatmap but with all beatmaps, we tried a lot of the solutions we found on the forums to no avail.
Celektus
I'm having the same issue since today, it worked just fine yesterday.

My folder location is C:\osu!, I'm on Cutting Edge (tried Beta as well), a bit more than half my drive space is used, and it's an issue on any random map I open and try to save.

Edit: I was able to (at least for now) fix it somehow. I tried specifically running as admin and using the 'repair folder permissions' option about 3 times with my game crashing each time. I have no idea why it worked after about the third time or if that's even what fixed it.

Edit2: I notice that running the game explicitly as admin and running 'repair folder permissions' seems to fix the issue of not being able to save maps, but any maps saved that way will be inaccessible when opening the game without explicitly opening it as admin. I also am unable to drag files into osu! and .osz files are automatically opened with osu! lazer instead of the legacy client.

Edit3: I haven't been able to fully fix the issue even after completely uninstalling and reinstalling osu!.