forum

8K styles

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Drace
I would like to discuss the ability to force a specific 8K style on a mania map.

I'm sure there's more, but the most common styles for keyboard players are 7K+1 (special button) and symmetrical 8K.

These are two completely ways to play, yet there's absolutely no advantage that one may have over the other. Once these 8K maps start getting ranked, we'll have (hopefully) several 8K maps ranked and ready to go, except they're gonna be split into 2 different styles.

I honestly don't understand how one can expect someone to learn 8K, going through easy to insane, and do it all over again simply to play the 8k maps in the other style.

To top it off, one can simply change his button configuration in his settings, but your colors are still set to the opposite style...

An example would be; xi - Akasha, it forces 7K+1 mode and is impossible to play in symmetrical 8K.

Unless someone can clarify the point of doing this, I honestly think this is completely ridiculous. Please express your thoughts on this matter.

Also, I made a request thread here.
Bobbias
I like the prospect of allowing for both 7k+1 and symmetrical 8k. Osu!Mania is at it's heart designed to provide a bunch of different variations on the mania style.

I think there should be something telling the player whether it's 7k+1 or symmetrical 8k but other than that, mappers should be free to use whichever they want.

I don't see a problem with letting the player control how 8k is displayed (force 7k+1 to display as symmetrical, or vice versa) because the real difference between 7k+1 and symmetrical 8k is how the patterns would work. Just compare beatmania patterns to o2jam patterns, ignoring the scratch, and you can see very big differences, despite both using 7 keys... Forcing to display as one mode or the other won't change the patterns themselves, so that shouldn't be a problem.
TouchFluffyTail
As a symmetrical 8k player, getting forced into 7+1k is all kinds of screwed up.

I played that map a lot in 8k before it was ranked, and it didn't actually force my style back then, something must have changed since then.

Oh and as a side rant; it'd be nice if I didn't have to make an entire separate skin to have my keys correct for 8k, the default way the game lays out the key colors for symmetrical 8k is literally backwards from what it should be.

Honestly though I think all the silliness surrounding 8k in game is just due to oversights.Next to no one plays 8k, even fewer people play symmetrical 8k, and even FEWER people map 8k. :?
Topic Starter
Drace
Yes the patterns will differ, you are right. But the differences between 7k+1 an sym 8k patterns are pretty similar to the differences between o2jam 7k and DJMax 7k. Although it was requested a couple times, I'm yet to see DJMax 7k in mania.

You can still play both pattern styles with any of the two play-styles without one side having a greater advantage. Forcing one style is just pushing everyone used to the other style away. Because honestly, I don't think many people will be interested in learning the second style when they spent so much time playing with the other. I doubt that many people would play a 7k map that forced DJMAX style (though i don't think it's possible haha)

It's fine that both styles are supported, but it shouldn't force the player to play a specific style. The 8K playerbase is already small, cutting it in half isn't gonna help it grow...

EDIT: TouchFluffyTail - I don't think any previous 8K game supported playermade maps, so this is a good chance to let that community grow a bit
Hanyuu
The point is because the map is mapped with the first column treated as special key.
Playing the map in symetrical style would still be somewhat, playing a 8k map on 7+1k though would totally break it so why not.
Well i suggest you play 7+1k anyways if you are allready playing7k. Just use the same key setup you use to play with and set the keys on the pinky fingers for special :P
Agka
It'd be nice if your 8k hard wasn't symmetrical and your 8k insane was 7k+1. Or viceversa.

Just saying.
Topic Starter
Drace

Hanyuu wrote:

The point is because the map is mapped with the first column treated as special key.
Playing the map in symetrical style would still be somewhat, playing a 8k map on 7+1k though would totally break it so why not.
Well i suggest you play 7+1k anyways if you are allready playing7k. Just use the same key setup you use to play with and set the keys on the pinky fingers for special :P
You don't seem to get the biggest point here. Players shouldn't be forced to play one style over the other. Why would a pro sym 8K player want to go through learning 8k again in 7k+1 style when he can just play it symmetrically? Also, special key is the pinky finger either way, so it doesn't "break it".

They're both different noting patterns, it should ultimately be the player's choice on how he plays them.

Agka wrote:

It'd be nice if your 8k hard wasn't symmetrical and your 8k insane was 7k+1. Or viceversa.

Just saying.
But doing that will be purposely splitting 8K into 2 different modes, like 6k hard then 7k insane on some songs. Is splitting 8K into 2 modes really the best thing for osu!mania? We hardly have any 8K players as it is.
Hanyuu
I meant to support your idea and everyone should play the way they prefer.
I wanted to write "somewhat okay" in my previous posting but that kinda got missing.
Topic Starter
Drace

Hanyuu wrote:

I meant to support your idea and everyone should play the way they prefer.
I wanted to write "somewhat okay" in my previous posting but that kinda got missing.
Ah, my bad for reading through it too fast. At least the misunderstanding allowed for more points to be presented haha

p.s. 1999...
Bobbias
My only point about the patterns not changing was that changing your visual layout has 0 impact on the actual gameplay, so it should be fine.

Generally speaking I'm all for player customization. I think it's ridiculous that mappers have traditionally been able to force whatever they like on players here (see "fun spoiler", which is the single best thing to happen to osu since I joined).