forum

How do you feel about farm shamers

posted
Total Posts
116
Topic Starter
IryN
Idk really know what to call them but basically I'm talking about the people who shame other people who play farm maps. I experienced it personally when I was in a discord server and one of the people I knew from there saw that all my 400s were HDDT (back then when I couldn't play DT for my life, all my top plays were no mod and hidden consistency and heavy aim)

So he started going on about how it sucks that I'm switching over to becoming a cringe DT farmer. I don't really know if he was joking or if he was serious but based on how he does things, I think he was being serious. I kinda felt offended but at the same time I didn't really care, after all it was MY top plays so I can do whatever the fuck I want with it but at the same time it kinda felt like I wanted his approval so I started trying to get NM 400s but I couldn't right now so I just stopped farming and tried to grind skill instead.

It kinda got me thinking about what other peoples takes are on the subject, like do you think farming is fine and no one really gives a shit if you farm or if you think that farmers shouldn't exist in the game or if you're right in the middle. It would be nice if you guys also give an explanation for your take.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

Edit: btw by NM 400 I mean an ACTUALLY good 400 pp play with NM, not something like kimi no bouken or lonely go.
Lilyn
farm maps in top plays are fine for me, it will happen.
farms maps are the gateway to a skill after all, of course you'll get pp from it.

i just dont like if they make farm maps their main map, it sucks.
Simon12
bruh moment
Topic Starter
IryN

Lilyn wrote:

farm maps in top plays are fine for me, it will happen.
farms maps are the gateway to a skill after all, of course you'll get pp from it.

i just dont like if they make farm maps their main map, it sucks.
I think it sucks as well that some people don't give a shit if you have some nice consistency/aim NM play then start absolutely shaming you once you start playing DT then won't even notice if you get a nice score on some random tech map (granted it's not gonna be in your top plays, but I feel like you shouldn't really judge someone's skill just with their top plays), sometimes osu really shows how flaud humanity is and that kinda sucks.
Rematyar
A lot of people are mad at me because I have a LOT of farm maps on my top plays. Well, they're right tho, I just didn't care
MrSparklepants
I was once a DT farm shamer, but then I realized at that time I was also just a nomod jump farmer. Eventually, I realized that DT isn't the only way to farm and as I've gotten higher in rank I realized that everyone farms to a certain degree, it's just that they farm the skill they're best at (like me farming consistency maps/aim maps). In short, right now I think it's actually a smart way to play the game, because why would you want to get a nomod 400PP play that is either some cross-screen jumps or a 5+ minute stream map like Save Me/Through the Fire and Flames when you can just play quick DT aim maps and get the same result since, in theory, you're playing easier patterns faster. However, I will stick to saying being a one-trick is bad.

In conclusion, I think they're pretty immature caring about other's top plays when they probably can't even play the maps they're complaining about. It's your account, your top plays, play what you want, enjoy the game.
elidhan
imo it doesn't matter if your top plays are hddt, nm, farm, fullsized, etc. as long as you enjoy the game
Upbeat
Why should people get defensive over what others play? Like mind your own business it's not hard
ICanNotDoSlider
Topic Starter
IryN

MrSparklepants wrote:

I was once a DT farm shamer, but then I realized at that time I was also just a nomod jump farmer. Eventually, I realized that DT isn't the only way to farm and as I've gotten higher in rank I realized that everyone farms to a certain degree, it's just that they farm the skill they're best at (like me farming consistency maps/aim maps). In short, right now I think it's actually a smart way to play the game, because why would you want to get a nomod 400PP play that is either some cross-screen jumps or a 5+ minute stream map like Save Me/Through the Fire and Flames when you can just play quick DT aim maps and get the same result since, in theory, you're playing easier patterns faster. However, I will stick to saying being a one-trick is bad.

In conclusion, I think they're pretty immature caring about other's top plays when they probably can't even play the maps they're complaining about. It's your account, your top plays, play what you want, enjoy the game.
I think the reason most farm shamers are complaining is because of what you said, they can't play whatever you're playing which is giving you easy pp or that your skillset is more overweighted than theirs, so either they just can't farm DT or they're some NM supremacist who just hates DT to the core. Either way this is an insanely good take. Thank you for your presence and wisdom.
manishmathur
farming isnt bad. You have to farm at some point but its bad if the only thing you do is farm.
And many player cant find difference between full farmer and player who play farm map to progress on a star or to get comfortable with a AR. like i do have many farm maps in my top play but that does not mean the only thing i do is farming
Topic Starter
IryN

manishmathur wrote:

farming isnt bad. You have to farm at some point but its bad if the only thing you do is farm.
And many player cant find difference between full farmer and player who play farm map to progress on a star or to get comfortable with a AR. like i do have many farm maps in my top play but that does not mean the only thing i do is farming
Yeah I think farm maps are a good way to introduce yourself to a skillset since they're arguably far easier to practice than an actual skill based map.
Simon12

ICanNotDoSlider wrote:

We live in a society.
manishmathur

IryN wrote:

manishmathur wrote:

farming isnt bad. You have to farm at some point but its bad if the only thing you do is farm.
And many player cant find difference between full farmer and player who play farm map to progress on a star or to get comfortable with a AR. like i do have many farm maps in my top play but that does not mean the only thing i do is farming
Yeah I think farm maps are a good way to introduce yourself to a skillset since they're arguably far easier to practice than an actual skill based map.
yup.

but I see that a lot of time in reviews players just go to find if the top play have farm maps or not and they will decide on that. They dont see what their recent plays is. just accuracy, most played map, and farm maps and will decide on that and some times i feel that i am doing the same
KupcaH
Any gatekeeping/elitism in osu sucks.

Let people enjoy game the way they want.
And on top of that, just because someone's top plays are filled with farm maps, doesn't mean that the players in question cannot play anything else.
RagingTsunami
I think farming is absolutely fine. I used to be some cranky 600k that thought that not farming was the way to go, but now I legitimately do not care. It's funny how someone's opinion of you can change as soon as your top play goes from some absurd map from 2012 to frickin idk granat or smth.

Even I'm beginning to farm, albeit I'm not going all out.
Fxjlk
I don't like farm maps but farm shaming is pretty cringe.

As long as you can play non farm maps as well it really doesn't matter
Zelzatter Zero

KupcaH wrote:

Any gatekeeping/elitism as a whole sucks.
FTFY

Stil vividly remember how osu got shat on hard by some people in the BMS community, just because it's not a rhythm game in their books. Or Robeats and FNF as well. It made me feel guilty just because it's the game I enjoy and it's just toxic as fuck.
Lilyn

IryN wrote:

Lilyn wrote:

farm maps in top plays are fine for me, it will happen.
farms maps are the gateway to a skill after all, of course you'll get pp from it.

i just dont like if they make farm maps their main map, it sucks.
I think it sucks as well that some people don't give a shit if you have some nice consistency/aim NM play then start absolutely shaming you once you start playing DT then won't even notice if you get a nice score on some random tech map (granted it's not gonna be in your top plays, but I feel like you shouldn't really judge someone's skill just with their top plays), sometimes osu really shows how flawed* humanity is and that kinda sucks.
top plays are the worst metric of skill after all..
Dial
lmao i think who but i'd rather not, just ignore what ever they say if anything you're just opening a new door to gain pp (if it's what you're aiming towards) which is great, you already have more experience with no mod consistency so why not do some other mods while you're at it, no need to be accepted from anyone but yourself bud~
nomi1
the stupidest thing about farm shamers is that they complain about farm maps being overweighted and then are surprised that those maps end up in your top plays. I don't really understand how people can only play farm maps (although I have no problem with them doing so), but the only way you're gonna have minimal farm maps in your top plays is if you are dedicated to never playing them and while thats something you can do, its such a stupid and specific ideology to push on to other people.
manishmathur

nomi1 wrote:

the stupidest thing about farm shamers is that they complain about farm maps being overweighted and then are surprised that those maps end up in your top plays. I don't really understand how people can only play farm maps (although I have no problem with them doing so), but the only way you're gonna have minimal farm maps in your top plays is if you are dedicated to never playing them and while thats something you can do, its such a stupid and specific ideology to push on to other people.
Because people enjoy playing them. They are easy compare to other maps
AccountWontWork
I think farmers are fine, if that's how they want to play then let them play that way.

I also have my own way of playing osu!, and that is by trying to see how good I can get or how high of a star rating I can pass.
THAT_otaku

IryN wrote:

How do you feel about farm shamers
people can enjoy the game however they want, whether its good for their progress/profile/anything or not. People who put others down for that aren't very nice people. I feel like i've done it in the past but with a greater understanding of the game etc I really wish I didnt if i did, there's no point to it.
7ambda
I still do

... if you ask for a profile review.
luxrayy
i personally don't really care, as long as the person who has that map really does enjoy the map then i won't bother shitting on their plays
Topic Starter
IryN

7ambda wrote:

I still do

... if you ask for a profile review.
wdym? did you happen to forget to quote something?
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply