forum

[Archived] [QUESTION] Pen mode or Mouse mode (do not prioritise this thread)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Yuno Gasai-
Ok I basically want to know where and why everyone is saying that pen mode is way better than mouse mode on tablets. Like is this just common sense or is it actually proven?

I've been playing for almost 6 years and my unstable rate has never been as low consistently (reaching 80 ish) on many jumps maps ranging from 4-6* with mouse mode. With pen mode no matter the settings I use I vary from (95+).

I use Wacom cth480 and there is a feature to remove mouse acceleration which basically makes the cursor move at a stable rate and I can also change the base speed.

This basically allowed me to use the entire tablet area without having a speed issue whatsoever thus leading me to be a lot more accurate when aiming. The changes have been so strong that on the first day of these changes (today) I was able to set my top #5 with 2 attempts.

So basically my experiences with mouse mode has been...productive. Ive easily destroyed scores with double or near double combo.

On the feel side...this is almost perfect. I've been changing settings and tablets/drivers for the past 2 years because no matter what I chose I always ended up with 1 of these 3 problems;

1 - Pen grip issue (due to how aiming was done and other variables I would end up losing my grip mid song)

2 - Poorly able to stream longer than 8 notes

3 - Poorly able to consistently hit burst jumps and screen jumps.

So basically no matter what settings I've been using in the past one of those issue would occur which was frustrating. But since I changed to mouse mode I've never felt a better flow of aim. I do not struggle to stream nor jumps except occasionally which could be due to the changes but it feels a lot more fun and stable than before.

So I am confused about why almost everyone that I've spoken about this subject tend to say pen mode is better. What are the arguments given for it and is mouse mode actually only better in some cases due to cth480 settings ? Ive given my experiences on it and I'd like to know what people thinks of all this or if they themselves tried on other tablets or this one.

osu! version: Stable 20210920 (latest)
Death
The advantage of using pen mode is that any given point on your tablet will always correspond with the same location on your monitor (as long as you don't change your area). If your cursor is not in the correct position, it will jump to the correct spot when you place your pen on the tablet.

It doesn't really matter what other people say to do though, just use whatever you're more comfortable with.
Dntm8kmeeatu
While what is said is true, using mouse mode on tablet is relatively just a waste of money, since if you wanted to use mouse mode, you could have just used a mouse. Majority of people get a tablet for the absolute positioning aspect. But if you don't want to use that, for whatever reason. Nobody can stop you.
Death
Many people purchase tablets so they can aim with a pen, not necessarily the absolute positioning aspect of it. There is a big difference between using a pen to aim and using a mouse to aim, even when using a pen in mouse mode (sounds kind weird doesn't it).
Topic Starter
-Yuno Gasai-

Death wrote:

The advantage of using pen mode is that any given point on your tablet will always correspond with the same location on your monitor (as long as you don't change your area). If your cursor is not in the correct position, it will jump to the correct spot when you place your pen on the tablet.

It doesn't really matter what other people say to do though, just use whatever you're more comfortable with.

Well, thanks for the inputs but yeah I don't actually see much difference with absolute positioning and mouse mode on this tablet since I can disable acceleration it pretty much always goes at the same speed. I am also more accurate with relative movements instead of absolute I don't really know why.

Also true for the pen aiming part. I am absolutely awful with an actual mouse but with a pen I play extremely better.
curlychiaseed
Hello, I am having some pen issues and this is the closest thread I could find that might help me. I've played Osu for a couple years and I started with a mouse but switched to pen (Huion tablet H590P) last Christmas and I played much better. However recently I had to do a serious back up with my pc that required me to reinstall windows and all of my apps, my Huion Tablet Driver included. But ever since I've reinstalled it, my pen has been acting like a mouse in Osu. No matter where I press my pen on my tablet area, it does not correspond to where it should be on my monitor. But it does not do this outside of Osu, only while I'm playing.

My cursor drifts while I'm playing and a couple times I've gone off my tablet area. I've messed around with my settings in my drivers already and nothing has fixed this so far. This has never happened before or if it had, it is much more noticeable now.

I dont know how but when I open Osu, my pens absolute positioning gets disabled somehow.
Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Lyawi
@curlychiaseed please create a new thread: community/forums/5