Would you like a system like that?

Yes
25.00%
No
33.33%
I see some flaws so not yet, with some improvements - maybe
41.67%
Total votes: 12
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
MrKosiej
I think there should be an option where the map is approved by the AI to check for unrankables and let the player decide when he wants to open the leaderboard (it will reward no pp, just like loved). After that, the mapper won't be able to take down or edit the map for a while (cooldown to reduce system abuse) and he could go for PP ranked status after actual BNs approval. There would be a lot less maps with pp, but it will finally release the leaderboards from the BNs hands and allow for much more freedom, creativity and peace of mind. If your map is "just" rankable, you shouldn't really rank it, but you definitely should be able to.

Now answers to possible upcoming comments and questions:

Q: Ranked status should be reserved for good maps, they represent the game, new players shouldn't be exposed to those maps and think osu is bad because those maps are bad.
A: Let's be honest, new players don't care about quality, they care about the song. Also there are a lot more "good" (which is also subjective to some extent) maps rotting in graveyard than "good" ranked maps. They could have a nice leaderboard and no depression from trying to rank it for months.

Q: Ok, but you will give a bad example to follow for new mappers.
A: Like they take their ideas only from ranked maps. Please.

Q: You shouldn't strive for just a leaderboard.
A: Loved wouldn't exist, and people, well, "love" it. That's why it works. A lot of mappers agree to have their map there because they care about players playing their map, and seeing their fight on the LB. Ofc some mappers do not agree to that, and that's fine too.

Q: People will just rank 30 second maps with no regards for the music.
A: Poeple are ranking maps that have no structure and 60+ unreasonable combos and questionable rhytm choices. They're rankable, so why shouldn't they be able to have a 30 seconds questionable quality "ranked" map with no pp?

Q: You only say that because you can't rank a map yourself.
A: I ranked 4. I'm still strongly against this system.

That's all i can think of right now. Feel free to write anything else you think is wrong with this idea below.
THAT_otaku

MrKosiej wrote:

I think there should be an option where the map is approved by the AI to check for unrankables
Press ctrl+shift+a in the editor.

Leaderboards for maps that do not go through the ranking process will likely never have leaderboards, this sort of thing has been requested many times in the past.
abraker

MrKosiej wrote:

I think there should be an option where the map is approved by the AI to check for unrankables and let the player decide when he wants to open the leaderboard (it will reward no pp, just like loved)
I have spent years proposing something similar. It took me a while to understand this, but "ranked" doesn't really mean "maps getting leaderboard and giving player pp", but the process itself to achieving that. Ranked is designed such that maps needs manual approval before they are given a leaderboard. Changing the "ranked" category to something like this no longer makes it the "ranked" category, but something else. What you want is an entirely new category that follows the system you outlined.

Second,

MrKosiej wrote:

I think there should be an option where the map is approved by the AI to check for unrankables
AI is maybe overkill for checking unrankables. Something like this already exists: https://github.com/Naxesss/MapsetVerifier

There are certain stuff like uncomfortable patterns or misplaced notes that might need AI. In which case, good luck creating something like that.
Topic Starter
MrKosiej

abraker wrote:

I have spent years proposing something similar. It took me a while to understand this, but "ranked" doesn't really mean "maps getting leaderboard and giving player pp", but the process itself to achieving that. Ranked is designed such that maps needs manual approval before they are given a leaderboard. Changing the "ranked" category to something like this no longer makes it the "ranked" category, but something else. What you want is an entirely new category that follows the system you outlined.
I didn't mean replacing "ranked", i wanted something additional just like you said, and just like i wrote in the title.
Not ranked, not loved but self approved. I just didn't have a name for it.

THAT_otaku wrote:

Press ctrl+shift+a in the editor.
I am aware of that. I don't think there are mappers that don't know about this. But it's not AI, it's a brute check.

THAT_otaku wrote:

Leaderboards for maps that do not go through the ranking process will likely never have leaderboards, this sort of thing has been requested many times in the past.
And yet no one gave me a good answer why it can't happen.

Still waiting bois. Let's hear some serious counter arguments.
Nao Tomori
p sure leaderboards for every submitted map is planned when lazer releases (which is why they now count for playcount as well) which is basically this anyway

also why is it that every random person talking about the ranking system has to mention rendezvous/shiten lol cant you keep it to yourself
subbie6

Kosiej wrote:

Still waiting bois. Let's hear some serious counter arguments.
I've thought about similar topic's and reached the same ideals in the past and when thinking of it one of the main practical contentions that came to mind was server space. I'm unfamiliar with how much leaderboards strain on the servers but if sever storage consumption is similar to that of anything else digital then I doubt it would be much compared to the media based files that are stored and are projected to be stored in the future so I'm doubtful of how much of an issue it would be despite being completely unaware of what contributes to server costs, that said, I think it's still worth noting.

Nao wrote:

p sure leaderboards for every submitted map is planned when lazer releases
If this is true then disregard all of the above \o/
abraker

Nao Tomori wrote:

p sure leaderboards for every submitted map is planned when lazer releases (which is why they now count for playcount as well) which is basically this anyway
first I hear of this, and if so, this would render project loved obsolete

big if true, but highly doubt it
Zelzatter Zero

MrKosiej wrote:

I am aware of that. I don't think there are mappers that don't know about this. But it's not AI, it's a brute check.

MrKosiej wrote:

uh...

what you mentioned in the first post is basically what AIMod already did, except it can't rank a map.

When meeting something that is technically "rankable" for AI but actually isn't (like misplaced objects or wrong BPM, both of which AI can do it extremely poorly), the category you requested will be obsolete, as new mappers will take a chance to push their first ever map, which can bypass them pretty easily, in fact.

The result of that would be Graveyard category but packed with leaderboard, to the point you can't even guarantee the so-called "high quality and deserved to be ranked".

There's a reason why both Ranked and Loved categories are still a manual process. AI ain't even ideal.