forum

Multiplayer "free play"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8,260
show more
Soaprman
I think the host would have enough sense to be careful about long maps. If not, they deserve the pain they bring upon themselves.

Though that assumes that allowing "free play" is a host option. If it's universally allowed, hm.
peppy
I'm not sure why this isn't implemented yet. It needs to be.
Raging Bull
I always did feel bad when I pick the hardest diff in multi and I know not all can pass.
Topic Starter
Subsidium

Tshemmp wrote:

Great idea, I could finally play with some noob friends without getting bored.
Perfect, just how I wanted to it to come across. More fun playing with others, this allows the skill barrier to be demolished.

---

BRBP wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/17906&m=0 [easy] 1:35, [expert] 2:50.
Probably wouldn't cause issues, as sometimes you have to wait for a lagger, just pointing this out.
Hmmm... overlook on my part, i made the assumption that all difficulties would be the same length..
Perhaps.. 1: As compensation for waiting the first to finish in this case automatically gets room host privileges.
2: Maps like this simply be unplayable, or the least common length be disabled?
-So in the above case only easy would be removed from available difficulty list.

---

peppy wrote:

As with most other replies, I agree, although I'm sure there would be many barriers stopping this from being added/ implemented.
GensokyoAkuma
shut up and take all of my votes.

EDIT: Shit Peppy already agreed on this
all my votes to waste goddamn
damn
give me my votes back lol
TheVileOne

MagicalReing7913 wrote:

Tshemmp wrote:

Great idea, I could finally play with some noob friends without getting bored.
Perfect, just how I wanted to it to come across. More fun playing with others, this allows the skill barrier to be demolished.

---

BRBP wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/17906&m=0 [easy] 1:35, [expert] 2:50.
Probably wouldn't cause issues, as sometimes you have to wait for a lagger, just pointing this out.
Hmmm... overlook on my part, i made the assumption that all difficulties would be the same length..
Perhaps.. 1: As compensation for waiting the first to finish in this case automatically gets room host privileges.
2: Maps like this simply be unplayable, or the least common length be disabled?
-So in the above case only easy would be removed from available difficulty list.

---

peppy wrote:

As with most other replies, I agree, although I'm sure there would be many barriers stopping this from being added/ implemented.
With problems comes opportunity. What better way to implement this mode as well as the any mod suggestion is to make multiplayer seem more free. peppy could implement the multi spectator right along with these ideas, and the result could be a nicely integrated multiplayer experience for casual players.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Topic Starter
Subsidium

BRBP wrote:

Edit: Can we also pick custom (self-made, unranked) difficulties, or just ranked ones?
Perhaps not self made, because other people don't have easy access to them, but unranked shouldn't pose a problem.
RivalNightmare
It's nice to see that a feature like this might be implemented!

I am not that good, and can only do normal and some hard maps, so I can't really keep up when playing with some friends, and they get kinda bored while playing on easier difficulties.

A feature like this, would really make this game so much more enjoyable for me!

And since Peppy already agreed, I guess this'll happen.
Aquamarine
Support.
About maps with different song lengths, should be no problem because sorting by BPM already separates these songs. So I would assume there would be no problems detecting which difficulties can be played in song selection.
H_Hitachiin
Freeplay -> Free For All?
theowest

H_Hitachiin wrote:

Free For All?
Isn't that the default "head to head" team mode? Everyone against everyone.

That is hardly what this request is about.
Kitokofox
Funny thing, just a few days ago, I was thinking about the ability for players in the room to change their mods, meaning one player can play in HardRock while another can try Hidden, and then a daring player could try to beat the other two by picking Flashlight.. And then someone new to the game can choose Easy and enjoy the game with others.. This feature has my support in two senses, that players will be able to enjoy the game together without having to worry about being forced to playing an easier or harder difficulty, and then the ability to change your modifiers would make for an interesting experience as you try to push yourself to the limit to try and get more score than the others

And this feature also ties very nicely with a fellow popular feature, this t/98943
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

My thoughts is if the song is shorter, then when your song ends, you go the spectator lobby for the room and then can spectate other players.
that's using the same argument as not to use half time and double time in this request: t/98943

peppy wrote:

If I was to implement this, it would exclude DT and HT completely from the per-user selection, because I believe multiplayer should always be played in realtime. The host would still have control over the game speed.
So this feature request will most likely not allow you to play difficulties that differ in length. Which makes me wonder how this limit would work..
TheVileOne
You shouldn't quote someone unless you know he considered all the options. When he posted he probably wasn't thinking about multiplayer spectating. If multiplayer spectating were implemented, then both considerations are a real possibility. Without such an idea, it's highly unlikely it would be allowed. So if we're going to have these ideas at all, they should be used to their fullest extent.

It doesn't need to happen right away. These ideas could be implemented with length restrictions, and then multiplayer spectate can be implemented later on that would remove the need for such restrictions.
Sakura
He did say that he believes multiplayer should be played in realtime, which kind of goes against this request, since everyone would be playing a different beatmap of the same song.
Cleatis
I've been getting some friends into osu, and doing 2 star maps gets really boring. This is just what we need, support.
jemhuntr
support, but how will the skip function work?
VoidnOwO
:)
TheVileOne
It's not competitive, and you could argue it isn't multiplayer. But this idea is mainly for casual play. We're not facing each other, we're just playing a song all at once. It's more like grouped single player.
Kitokofox

theowest wrote:

So this feature request will most likely not allow you to play difficulties that differ in length. Which makes me wonder how this limit would work..
It's quite simple really. At the end, it says "Waiting for all players to finish". So, we just.. wait for the others to finish! That easy. You're still playing realtime, just some players will finish their map before others once in a blue moon. And if everyone is synced to start their section of the map at the same time, this means maps like Marathon Maps can have everyone playing their favourite song in the map together. (This also means there should be a limit on size between map playtimes among the players)

Also, one other limit, you can only use what's in the map set originally and not some custom ones you made yourself, then you can't somehow ease your way to one billion points.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Rawrity
TamaraMarie
Love this idea! <3 Support! :)
Kunieda
gonna support
+1
Setsunax
Supported:) Loved the idea.
It would also be a lot easier to find rooms in multi. i often see a song that i have and want to join, but it's on the wrong difficulty. This would make it a lot easier:)
chelly
As long as it's an option to be determined by the host, I'm all up for this idea.

Support!
peppy
One major issue with this is that some people map easy difficulties (for example) to be much shorter than their harder counterparts. Which would cause a huge delay at the end of the map.
Luna-

peppy wrote:

One major issue with this is that some people map easy difficulties (for example) to be much shorter than their harder counterparts. Which would cause a huge delay at the end of the map.
I can only think in three ideas (some mentioned above I think xP):
1) Disable the option when the difficulties have different length

2) Block the difficulty that has different duration. For example:http://osu.ppy.sh/s/1752
Easy (1:51)
Normal (3:19)
Hard (3:19)
Expert (3:19)

3) The difficulties have to be of the same length as the difficulty who the host chose

someone else can contribute with others ideas? pls
Topic Starter
Subsidium

Dark Accelerator wrote:

peppy wrote:

2) Block the difficulty that has different duration. For example:http://osu.ppy.sh/s/1752

3) The difficulties have to be of the same length as the difficulty who the host chose

Exactly, it's been a while since the thread started but I believe something like this was mentioned and I agree with all the ideas.
Either disallow the length that is least common. Like #2. Or have everyone have to choose a difficulty the same length as the host's chosen difficulty.
Oinari-sama

peppy wrote:

Well... here's a very crude solution to that - disable the Skip function in a "free play" room.

That is the last resort though, surely it won't be popular. But I'm still curious that how many people are willing to give up Skip to have the "free play" function?

EDIT: Wait I might have made a wrong assumption there. Some songs starts early on harder difficulties, while giving a longer intro to easier difficulty. Disabling skip does help in this case. But I vaguely remember that there're maps that ends song early with a forced skip at the end. I don't know what to do with those...
Iluya
I really like the idea. Especially if playing with relatively new Osu-Players even HD HR is boring, but i play like this anyways cause i enjoy playing with them. (OT: I think here is also a big source of high ranks iin easy maps, which makes it almost impossible for newbs to get an appropiate reward for fcing a map)

I think an easy solution to the length problem is: Not all Maps are allowed to be played like this.

With some preprocessing there can be easily produced Tags for each Map, that groups (like said before) the Diffs with similar length. (+-5% length maybe, as some Maps are mapped almost with same length). Those Maps can be played in this "choose you own diff"-mode. I think that would be most of the maps. (Ive just watched through some random maps and most of the diffs dont have more than 5 sec difference, which is acceptable i think) Also the remaining waiting time is at least filled with music! It is no plain waiting, as there obviously is mappable content in the remaining time, which is a huge difference to the problem within the DT/HT thread.

The preprocessing also offers a solution to the skip issue: Players can skip to the earliest skip in all played diff. Most Maps skipping to the same point anyways.

So the problems adressed are only a problem for a minority of the maps (have to be confirmed, only made random checks), which is then unplayable in this mode.. So what...

It is obviously something that has to be toggled. Some people looking for the challenge and competition. Some only want to have fun together.
quaternary
YESYESYES

I'm throwing stars at you next time I get some.

The only problem is that it is possible for a terrible Insane run to beat a Easy SS by virtue of there being more notes. So I think "score" should'nt be allowed in this mode.
I can see a few better win conditions for this mode however: miss count? percent of max score?

But there is a problem with Skip. I know Clint Eastwood has an Easy ~45 seconds shorter than the Hard, and then there's things like the Megamix where skipping is required...

huh.
raww_old

Dark Accelerator wrote:

peppy wrote:

Any of these would suffice, would love to see this in-game so I could play with friends who are new to the game. +support!
_noone_
<>
Consciously
do good idea but if it were a song that is not ready,and one of its difficulties this half? as is would play?
raww_old

Keyone94 wrote:

i dont have any example maps but
there are 30+min maps supporting full albums with 10+ different songs beeing played at 10 different times in the map
what about these maps?

a lot of maps have like
Normal (2:10)
Hard (2:15)
Insane(2:25)
so you would disable them cause of 5 sec?
and only beeing able to use the function on some maps on some diffs isn't the solution here
then people will start switching through maps in multi to find some fitting the system
and some maps will be played more often than others
There would obviously be a cap to when a song should not be included. Waiting 10 seconds after playing your difficulty isn't that big of a deal (would be nice with an interface description like: "Your song finished first. Time before other player(s) are finished: 00:10..")

So songs with like 10 seconds time difference would still be pickable. (but songs with like 30 seconds time difference would not.)

I'm pretty certain that the majority of songs have the same time anyway. If not, I still wouldn't mind waiting 30 seconds after playing my song, as long as I have an indication on the screen.
Krunschy
To me the different beatmap time problem isn't that much of a deal in exchange for such a nice feature. Also what could be an option is to disable this "free play" if there is a huge gap beetween beatmap lenghts or atleast tell the game host with a message at the right bottom of the screen.
Despite this issue this a feature I would sure love to see in the near future. :D

Edit: Another option could be to let the player with the shorter beatmap join in to the longer one. Of course this would mean that the map is too challenging for him but better tha letting him get bored. Letting the player spectate the still playing one is another way it could be done.
boat
Because of said map length difference issue double time is not available in free mods. I don't quite understand your suggestion nonetheless, you're proposing an option for everyone to play the beatmap they want to? What would be the point of that?
Kalle_old_1
+Support :)
show more