forum

Are you a new mapper struggling to get your work noticed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Having problems getting a BN to check your work? Having trouble getting your work modded in general? Feel like it is impossible to breach into the Ranked category without winning the lottery?

I'd like to hear your story.

There's a growing clamour of voices lately saying that newer mappers experience considerably more trouble than ever before in trying to get a foot into the door as far as the mapping scene goes, even with things like the Community Mentorship program and other grassroots initiatives to involve newer people.

Please feel free to respond in this thread detailing your struggles, or if you'd prefer some privacy, send me an email at ephemeral@ppy.sh instead.

Your feedback will be reviewed and used to help shape future efforts and initiatives to try and fix this problem.
Gibune
As a newer mapper with about 9 months of experience now and recently (5 days ago) getting my first ranked I feel like I have a good grasp on this kind of topic. For a little intro I had only really been playing the game since two years ago and had no osu friends(to get me into mapping) and I'm also fluent in english which could change peoples experiences. I'll also kind of go through this chronologically.

the first thing getting me into mapping was Pishifat's videos as I think would be the same for a lot of people. I just thought mapping would be cool and Pishifat had one of the few mapping guides out there although some of his topics are outdated now. I mapped my first map and then joined a few discords that I found through google about osu mapping. So through that I started to talk to other mappers which helped me get a grasp of mapping although I never really talked that much about mapping (I think finding osu mapping discords is kinda hard for new mappers and probably for non-english mappers), anyways I just put my map in some mod ques and eventually it got nuked and wall modded about how bad it was. I think this could make people not want to map but I expected it. I think getting your first maps modded or given feedback on can be tough and this is probably one bit that needs to be improved somehow.

After I'm making a few maps I talk to more people about mapping and a few good mappers about mapping. I think this is something that people don't do but I understand it can be hard to just go hey can you look at my map to people you look up to. At this point in terms of getting my maps noticed, it was easier to get mods from people as just posting in mod ques was enough and through discord servers finding people to talk to and improve was easier.

now about getting my first ranked map, between here and last paragraph is like 6-7 months it takes time and maybe people get stuck there. Just saying it straight out. Bns do not ignore unranked mappers. Yes it may seem like it. I asked for bns for like 6 of my maps before I finally got one bn to say yes I'll nominate your map. Its just how it is, your map probably sucks. Sometimes the bn will say ways to improve and why they don't want to nominate (shoutout to sonnyc, he always gave feedback and reasons) but some will not and that's ok. Respect the bns and their rules and what they do, at the end of the day its volunteer work and if they don't want to nominate maps they wouldn't become bn. Sometimes people will feel like getting bns is just done through being friends and yes I won't deny that happens and personally I think it's fine but they nominate random mappers maps too. My bns for my map I had never talked to before ever. I'm pretty sure bns would even prefer unranked mappers sometimes as it makes them feel good bringing a new mapper into the ranked section.

overall I think first starting to map could be a struggle, most people hang out on discords and its not really clear where to find them. Getting mods is not a challenge, you can get a bn. I also forgot to add this somewhere. Lots and lots of people are kind and helpful, I don’t think I’ve talked to a single person who was rude and toxic towards me and my maps.
aiq
I honestly would like more detail on how this works. How would people start noticing unnoticed / new mappers' maps? How would it affect nominations, BNs and possibly the ranking criteria? Does it have rules or guidelines in order to work? Does it only help maps getting ranked? Or maybe loved too, depending on the situation? Or does it just help getting the map more recognized overall? It's really not specified how it works on the surface so I'm curious to what this will bring to the table.
Megafan
I've been mapping for 5 years and the only problem I see is getting feedback for "not going to ranked" sets, maybe it's just me, but I'm shy and I don't have the confidence to ask for help to big mappers because I feel like I will be bothering them.
Some graveyard mappers maybe enjoy doing maps for fun, but some of them (or the majority) actually want to improve as a mapper but don't want to rank their maps, and I'm from the group that doesn't have any clue about who should we ask for help rather than just asking for testplays.

Another thing that can be a factor of this is not many mappers from my country are good enough or just don't know anything about modding, so we cannot trade any knowledge because only one of them will eventually be the one that's teaching everything he knows about to new mappers.
This year I decided to finally rank something, but because I'm not able to know which mapper apart from the ones I like should I try to ask for feedback, I'm stuck in an infinite loop of giving up any project I start.

This is not a message about not finding any modders, but it's a mindset about thinking every top tier mapper should get top tier maps to give feedback to.
Asphiee

Megafan wrote:

I've been mapping for 5 years and the only problem I see is getting feedback for "not going to ranked" sets, maybe it's just me, but I'm shy and I don't have the confidence to ask for help to big mappers because I feel like I will be bothering them.
Some graveyard mappers maybe enjoy doing maps for fun, but some of them (or the majority) actually want to improve as a mapper but don't want to rank their maps, and I'm from the group that doesn't have any clue about who should we ask for help rather than just asking for testplays.

Another thing that can be a factor of this is not many mappers from my country are good enough or just don't know anything about modding, so we cannot trade any knowledge because only one of them will eventually be the one that's teaching everything he knows about to new mappers.
This year I decided to finally rank something, but because I'm not able to know which mapper apart from the ones I like should I try to ask for feedback, I'm stuck in an infinite loop of giving up any project I start.

This is not a message about not finding any modders, but it's a mindset about thinking every top tier mapper should get top tier maps to give feedback to.
At the end of the day theyre just humans. Don't worry, we are not so bad as we think. There's just times and conditions which triggers our unpleasant side. You can't deny the fact that there's mappers in osu who want to be part of the change and would want to help another person. That's why as Gibune said, there's BNs that prefers to nominate non-ranked mappers. That, right there, is what you call goodwill (or any terms relating to that). Time will come where you'll be in their position and that's the time where you should look back behind you and reminisce the times when you were in their shoes.

But I'm still struggling to find BNs tho. xD
loveheerin
osu!mania RC's guideline items are very annoying.
It's being enforced like a de facto rule, not a guideline.
If osu!mania's mapping wants to revive again, it must be revised as soon as soon as possible.
Narrative
I've been mapping for 2 years now, and I'm finally at the point where my maps are barely rankable quality (well at least that's what I want to think). When I try to find a BN, they are usually closed or my map doesn't fit their preferences so it's pretty hard to find a BN, and if you find one, you wont be guaranteed a nomination. Sometimes it feels like its first come first served or bias (very rarely), which obviously isn't the case most of the time.

But at the end of the day, I think the reason why many mappers are having trouble is because of competition. Since people are staying home there will obviously be more mappers and more maps trying to get pushed to rank so the expectations for a map are much higher than ever before. This is just how I think as of now.
clayton
edit: this post is only about osu!standard's situation

pointing out some things first
  1. playerbase size naturally correlates with # of people who have trouble with any of this
  2. "getting your work noticed", "getting your work modded", and "getting a BN to check" are all very different things in modern mapping ecosystem
  3. mappers aren't entitled to have their maps Ranked
I'm not a big fan of the way this topic is being presented... you make it sound like the issue is that mappers with maps worthy of being Ranked are having a hard time getting them Ranked, but I'm willing to bet the actual issue is that newer mappers misunderstand the purpose of Ranked and either have a hard time finding mapping resources or simply don't care about improvement outside the milestones of the ranking process. this is backed up by a few studies that looked into exactly this via alt. mapper accounts and stuff, I know you're aware of those too

I'd love to help newer mappers improve their skill and then let them get involved in the ranking process naturally, not encourage them to jump through the ranking process while still picking up novice concepts. I'd argue there's already a massive problem with mappers lacking experience making it through the ranking process and hurting the game
Serizawa Haruki

clayton wrote:

I'm not a big fan of the way this topic is being presented... you make it sound like the issue is that mappers with maps worthy of being Ranked are having a hard time getting them Ranked, but I'm willing to bet the actual issue is that newer mappers misunderstand the purpose of Ranked and either have a hard time finding mapping resources or simply don't care about improvement outside the milestones of the ranking process. this is backed up by a few studies that looked into exactly this via alt. mapper accounts and stuff, I know you're aware of those too

I'd love to help newer mappers improve their skill and then let them get involved in the ranking process naturally, not encourage them to jump through the ranking process while still picking up novice concepts. I'd argue there's already a massive problem with mappers lacking experience making it through the ranking process and hurting the game
While you are right that most new mappers tend to think their maps are ready to be ranked when they are not, this is not the only issue.

I would like to mention that the struggle to find modders and BNs is not limited to newer mappers. Even some mappers with several ranked maps or others who are capable of making good maps without having any ranked ones have a hard time to go through the ranking process for various reasons.

One of them is the fact that the number of mappers is constantly increasing because many old mappers continue mapping for years while new mappers emerge at the same time. However, the number of BNs doesn't increase. In fact, we have seen a significant decline in the size of the BNG for osu!standard over the past few years (almost halved). Therefore it's to be expected that BNs get overwhelmed with requests whenever they open because the demand is so immense and for this reason only a fraction of BNs are open at any given time. Mappers often need to wait for several months until they have found a BN who wants to mod their map which can be really discouraging. This is by no means the fault of BNs though, most of them are trying really hard to help people with their maps. The care package might help bringing some old BNs back, but it won't solve the problem entirely. To become a BN, you need to invest a lot of time and energy and it's easy to lose motivation if you are denied multiple times (which is the case for most people who try). I think a rework in how the BN subsystem functions is overdue, but I won't go into details here.

Finding "normal" modders is not as difficult, but in some cases it can be challenging as well if your map falls into a niche category. But even if finding modders is possible, the problem is that most modders are not able to give helpful feedback because they lack modding experience. So if new mappers get mods from someone who isn't very experienced, they will probably still struggle to understand how they can truly improve. There probably aren't enough resources to learn how to get better at modding.
roufou
For taiko it kinda seems like only two or three BNs are available for requests from the average person atm, I could be wrong but that's what it looked like last time I checked. Sure that's enough to get your map ranked but it seems kinda tough to bother the three BNs who are available when they're probably getting so many requests due to being the only BNs available, and feeling quite certain those BNs won't really like your type of music.

I will say I could try harder to rank stuff, but honestly it is way too much of a bother to even want to, I've experienced one BN simply say they weren't interested in nominating my map, which isn't necessarily a big deal but it still sucks.

I know someone who I think worked relatively hard on a map for like 6 months, not sure how much he spent time (I had a GD on the set) and they got a ton of mods and the map seems perfectly fine to me, perhaps just a tweak from BN checks or so and I feel like it SHOULD be fine. But he claims that all BNs just say they don't like the song and aren't interested, I can't prove he is speaking the truth but I imagine he wouldn't just lie. (I guess I could be mistaken on how good the map is)

In general literally everyone who doesn't get ranked maps frequently seem to take issue with ranking stuff, it feels like only the same people get ranked, or a few maps with incredibly safe spreads and simple songs get ranked, some of the maps I don't really get why get past the BNs as opposed to other stuff that seems to struggle getting ranked.

I'm sorry if you're a BN and it seems like I'm criticizing you for being "lazy" or "inadequate", I'm sure you work decently hard and have your own issues to deal with that cause you to not be able to serve every request you get. But it genuinely seems like we have a problem to me, no idea how to fix it though.

I've considered becoming a BN myself simply so I can help others rank stuff and get my own stuff ranked, but it's too much of a commitment for me I think, I have other stuff I try to focus on as well.
Cubby
I've been mapping for 2 years i think now and i feel like my work is very undervalued in my opinion. I think that my mapping speed has just bloated and sort of made my maps feel worse as they are "boring" "the same" or stuff like that. It feels really demotivating at times and i don't really even bother much with ranking maps anymore tbh i feel like you need to build a reputation around your mapping to get bns to really want to nominate your maps. So in this case i don't really bother with ranking maps anymore since it takes too much time and effort that will just go to waste so i just focus on improving.

Ultimately i think its a really unhealthy cycle to have to i don't really map as often anymore tbh since i just think to myself that no one really cares about map A or map B. I think the most demotivating thing said is not that your map is garbage is that your maps are not improving.
clayton
@Serizawa I know it's not the only issue, but I have a bad feeling that attempting to "solve" this stuff without addressing the usefulness of some barriers to Ranked is going to result in an even worse version of the problems we've already got on that front. I admit I'm skipping ahead with some assumptions about how the ideas in this thread may be applied though.
TmacBoris

clayton wrote:

edit: this post is only about osu!standard's situation

I'm not a big fan of the way this topic is being presented... you make it sound like the issue is that mappers with maps worthy of being Ranked are having a hard time getting them Ranked, but I'm willing to bet the actual issue is that newer mappers misunderstand the purpose of Ranked and either have a hard time finding mapping resources or simply don't care about improvement outside the milestones of the ranking process.
Actually it is true that a lot of maps worthy of being ranked are left unnoticed. look at the number of requests in all std BN queues if they get opened. They get about 200 requests or even more at one time. They can't just deal with this number of reqs and choose only few maps to mod. Usually they pick mappers that they are familiar with. So if you don't have name, you have very low chance to get bn's attention. Note: not every map of that 200 is worth ranking, but i bet about 50 are still pretty good, it's a big number. Also i think some maps not worth ranking proceed to ranked, but it's for another topic.

Idk if I can consider myself new to mapping, i started mapping in 2017, so now i have 3 years experience of mapping, modding and mentoring.
But i have some problems of getting my maps ranked. And the problem is not that my maps have unrankables or some bad design. I'm confident cause i have feedback from exBNs, i have huge modding experience myself, and a lot of people just refuse my mod requests saying "i can't find any issue". BN usually reply "i don't like the song" if they even reply.
I have no idea how to solve that issue while BN is volunteer work, they don't have to push songs they don't like.
McEndu
The most obvious one is that a lot of BNs are closed at a time, and the can be times in minority modes in which nobody is open, and everyone is either "closed" and "chosing on own accord". This results in the requirement to check the listing regularly in order to snipe (find a BN open), and that can be tedious.
Liiraye
I think as people have mentioned, this is not a problem isolated to new mappers. There's simply too many maps that require checks and not enough nominators available. Lets take a look at the current status of our BN's:

This is not meant to call people out, but rather to paint a picture of how much they need to do in todays climate.

Listed under "current BN's" in osu standard

(to be fair, those that are closed are probably backlogged, which strengthens the point that there are too few bns and too many requests).

QAT:
1: rarely nominate, but if you fit a specific criteria of artists you can request a mod
2: modding status: x
3: closed for 17 days
4: always open but very picky, will reply though
5: N/A
6: don't mod anymore
7: taking time off due to personal reasons
8: refers to mappers guild bn requests (a general hub for requests)
9: mods through discord modding events or picked through #modreqs
10: just checks what they like, but open

BN:
11: seems open & with a bunch of criterias
12: closed, on a 2 week break
13: open with pretty minor preferences
14: closed
15: closed
16: closed
17: open
18: closed, full
19: only accepts mods from personal discord server, "does not have the energy to reject everyone" (paraphrased).
20: closed
21: closed
22: closed
23: "I pick what I want to nominate, don't request"
24: closed
25: closed
26: closed
27: closed
28: closed
29: unclear, probably open but very busy
30: closed, opens queue 2 days a month, all requests there
31: closed
32: closed
33: closed, will reopen after checking 80 PMs...
34: closed
35: closed, probably won't return
36: closed, on holiday
37: requests open on google docs form with very strict criterias
38: don't take requests but mods on own accord
39: refers to mappers guild bn requests
40: open but picky, many things to mod so chance to get a mod is close to 0
41: closed
42: unclear
43: closed
44: closed but seemingly open to exceptions? idk
45: closed
46: closed
47: closed
48: closed but soon open
49: closed
50: unclear
51: closed, too many requests
52: closed
53: might be open for a specific country, for others it's closed
54: closed
55: closed
56: open but will not reply in some cases(?)
57: closed queue but pms are open?
58: closed
59: always open
60: open through old pm. (personally I remember requesting this many months ago and got no reply, perhaps very busy)
61: closed for a while
62: closed
63: semi-closed, not modding for 2 weeks
64: closed
65: seems open but recently taken a lot of requests?
66: closed
67: open with very strict standards
68: closed
69: closed
70: (fu for that long scroll lol) closed
71: closed

QAT:

5/9 open, 1 unclear

3 of whom are very picky
1 of whom refers to a general hub for requests
1 mods on their own accord and through events

BN:

16/61 open

5 of whom with strict/very strict criterias
3 unclear, probabaly open but busy
6 seem open without that big criterias
1 is closed to the world except their country
1 close to 0 chance to get a mod from

As you can see, to the few that are available, a lot of them (which isn't a lot to begin with) have either strict criterias or mod on their own accord (not taking requests).

In other words, 6-9 out of 61 BN's seem open to anyone. But even then we KNOW that they must reject a lot of requests, because they simply get overwhelmed due to the current 85-90% closed BN's funneling requests to those that are open.

As someone who has requested mods from BAT/BN's since 2013, I can tell you that this is pretty much how it always has been too. Overwhelming majority either closed / has a very strict criteria / has too many requests despite not having many criterias. Difference now is that we have many millions more players.
sytho
its been like 1.5 years since i ranked a map, every month of that time i would make 2 maps that i would try and rank, still unsuccessful. im at the point where im just used to throwing away my work and it doesnt even bother me that much
Flowziee
I think there's 3 main issues myself and others I know have been concerned about regarding this. (this is largely based on my experiences, take what you will of this post, some of it may be entirely inccurate)

Firstly, it's the fact that good, albeit generic maps SHOULD be ranked. There are SO many BNs with a million requirements/prerequisites that some perfectly fine maps are deliberately being ignored. I feel like as a BN, all songs and maps should be considered. Sure, preferences are fine and all, but it's really sad knowing that some BNs NEVER consider anything out of their comfort zone. A good map can sometimes be swept under the rug simply because "song is too boring" or "it adds no new content to the game". Those imo are some really shit excuses. Just because a song is "too boring" for your tastes means it shouldn't be ranked? Like, are you kidding me? If the map represents the song fine, why shouldn't it NOT be ranked, other than some superficial reason? And besides, a large portion of modern content is not really new by any means anyways. Point is, when majority of BNs are THAT selective of genres, there's bound to be many good maps that are just in graved. Now, I'm not saying "BNs are lazy and bad yaddayaddayadda". I feel like although frowned upon, it's necessary. This leads to my next point.

Secondly, the BNG feels a bit understaffed. Even though I personally dislike the millions of requirements / preferences BNs expect when you request a map, I can't help but think it's not entirely their fault. In the end, they look through HUNDREDS of requests from like 10 different channels, and it's extremely straining for them. In order to cut out the already gargantuan amount of work that is held upon them, they ofc have to put in those preferences. Add into the fact that they sometimes close for months on end, and they're barely (if not) approachable at all. They do have to uphold quality standards after all (which honestly, even looking at the number of requests makes me feel sick). I feel like there should be more BNs in general to help spread out work a bit more, but ofc that comes with the problem of assessing a lot of BNs, and then the risk of possibly having the ranked section decrease in terms of mapping quality (which I wouldn't want at all). Point here is that there's just too few working too hard. Only time will tell though if there's more people willing to be in BN/NAT. Otherwise, I don't think this can be helped anytime soon.

Thirdly, there is no doubt that there's at least some preferential treatment (aka circlejerking or w/e you wanna call it).
This is what I'm not okay with. There has been cases where BNs do a Nom4Nom, or where BNs have a select few whose maps they'll always look at. I feel like this is extremely unfair to the general masses, that perhaps some people may have to work so much harder to get ranked maps than others. I get that preferential treatment exists, because the mappers involved are probably already pretty good at mapping, and in turn that allows for easy nominations. It's a win-win for both parties in this case, but that really crushes the hopes of many up-and-coming mappers. It's very discouraging to most people really, when other people have that privilege when they don't.

I definitely appreciate the efforts of the BNs, and the programmes that have come up. (for e.g mentorship etc.) Although it may be extremely hard to get into, no doubt that many have benefitted from said programme. I feel like programmes like these are a good step forward in resolving this whole "good unranked mapper cant receive attention" fiasco. I myself, had the luxury of getting feedback from BNs (even as a newbie mapper), in that I am eternally grateful for. I am writing thise because it's just sad to see my peers having a hard time getting things ranked, because of the aforementioned issues, when they are already better than some ranked mappers imo.

This was purely based on mappers that are already capable of mapping potentially rankable beatmaps. ofc this absolutely does not apply to newer mappers who more than likely don't know what they're doing and taking things too quickly. This is just purely my opinion, I do not mean any harm, nor do I want to call anybody out for this. I also would like to mention that as much as it sounds like it, I'm not labelling all BNs negatively, as I have met some really nice people (BNs and experienced mappers alike). This is overall a summary on the frustrations some of my good mapping friends have with the current system.
Mordred
I'm not really someone struggling to rank maps but I figured it'd be interesting to give my thoughts on this as well.

The main issue is that, as Liiraye pointed out, 90% of bns are either closed or pretend to be closed. Now, there's nothing wrong with being closed for a while (I've been closed for a few weeks because I simply wanted to take a break after being almost always open for over a year), it becomes an issue when you never open for the "public" but only for your friends. I'm sure almost every bn is guilty of favoring their friends every now and then (won't exclude myself from that), and I don't think that's a bad thing on its own, but once you don't nominate maps from anyone not in your friend group or only extremely rarely it becomes a bit concerning.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to do anything about that, activity requirements are already a joke and don't even seem to be enforced, the only thing that might help a bit is to make bn maps not count as activity, which has been suggested plenty of times before.

I don't think it's insanely difficult to get a map ranked (if the entire bng denies it there's probably a reason for it though), I myself have nominated plenty of "first ranked maps", and considering all the 1-2 pp farm garbage that gets ranked on the daily it's not like the standards are unreasonably high. People complain a lot that their map gets rejected for song choice, which ... very often not the real reason, lots of bns just don't know how to be honest or are scared they might offend someone by telling them their map is not up to rankable standards (which is also why I'm always honest about why I reject maps if someone asks, but for some reason only 2/50 people ever do so, which makes me think people care more about ranking a map than improving as a mapper).

That being said there are a lot of experienced mappers with lots of ranked maps that also struggle to rank maps, and I'm not entirely sure why, the only thing I could think of is, as said before, that 90% of the bng is perma closed and that they don't want to ask closed bns. There are also some bns that reject anything that looks like too much effort (4 min full spreads come to mind) so that doesn't help either. There are also, to put it simply, a shit ton of maps out there wanting to be nominated, as Liiraye said, which would make it hard to get to everyone even if every single bn was open.

Oh and then we have stuff like this (that tab lists nominations done in the last 90 days)

also to everyone saying "it's rankable so it should be ranked", consider that bns are only human as well and would like to not burn out from accepting to many maps they don't like :D

but you're free to become bn yourself and try to change this
Tankuwi
Main issue about BN System is about ignoring most of EDM-maps bcause a lot of bns don't like these musics and prefer to check most of openings which are already ranked 10 times and more which causes butthurt or just disappointment in ranking system. The fact is osu needs more variety of genres of music to be played bcause nowadays new people join to play osu and leave it bcause of lack of edm musics. Even from 5-digit players there're a lot of players which are not playing for a really long time. And the main reason is osu has a tons of anime or japanese rocks/pops which are really annoying when u play it for a long time.

For me osu! is the most popular rhythm game which should have a lot of musics u can play and not only anime, japanese songs but dubsteps, d&b, trances, hardcores etc.

Extra issue is too little quantity of bns for thousands of mappers which are trying hard to rank their maps. We see that osu!std has only 80 bns for this really huge quantity which causes troubles with finding bns bcause they have more than 100 map requests to check but i see that bn work is really hard bcause they should check every single moments for rankability + check hitsounds and also storyboards, skins if they're present there. Here's two resolving ways:
1. Making salary for their works can motivate much of bns continue to do their hard works(i think it's more than possible bcause much of players pay for osu!supporter which costs $5 for month only but supporter can be longer and price is higher accordingly and supporter is not only thing you pay to get it.
2. Hire more bns to increase quantity to 200 and more. This can help mappers to increase their chances to find bns with a lot of minds, not only openings.
Liiraye

Mordred wrote:

That being said there are a lot of experienced mappers with lots of ranked maps that also struggle to rank maps, and I'm not entirely sure why, the only thing I could think of is, as said before, that 90% of the bng is perma closed and that they don't want to ask closed bns. There are also some bns that reject anything that looks like too much effort (4 min full spreads come to mind) so that doesn't help either. There are also, to put it simply, a shit ton of maps out there wanting to be nominated, as Liiraye said, which would make it hard to get to everyone even if every single bn was open.
Personally I think I could fit into the "experienced mapper with ranked maps that struggle to get ranks". I think it may be different for everyone, but once you become old enough in the community, you don't keep up with the connections you once had. The friends you knew quit or stopped mapping/being BN's. Once you're out of the "active mapping community" so to speak, I feel that it naturally gets harder to get a BN check. Besides that, I think the main thing is the discrepancy between # of mappers and # of available BN's.

I'm not blaming anyone, I don't have enough time to stay involved with every iteration of new mappers and BN's, it's my own choice not to get involved. However I think that could explain why a bunch of us older peeps just talk in discord and map for leisure, rarely getting things ranked anymore despite being fully capable experience wise. I know quite a few like me.

Then when we feel like ranking something, it's back to the same old request strat I've always had, check modding queues or PM the BN's that are available/open and ask for a check. No connections or anything.
show more