forum

Nature or nurture?

posted
Total Posts

Is the abiliity to play osu! determined by nature or nurture?

Nature
46.75%
Nurture
53.25%
Total votes: 154
show more
Aqo

Goodbye Shin wrote:

Aqo wrote:

Everybody who says nature plays a bigger % than nurture is basically looking for excuses for doing badly.
That's not even an argument. It's a simplified point of view that fits your opinion, which you're trying to defend. It's just naive to think that everyone has the same skill cap from the start. Nobody disagrees that nurturing helps to improve thou.
It's naive to think there's a skill cap at all, because nobody has hit a skill cap yet.

Nobody.
thelewa
Dudes

what if everyone has actually hit their skillcap

and the game is just being made easier every day

what a conspiracy
JappyBabes
idk Aqo, jesse has sucked pretty bad for the entire last half of this year
Aqo
In response to lewa: Yeah Scarlet Rose suddenly because easier in the last year, that's why Cookiezi was able to HR it now.

And Jappy jesse said doukoku was too fast than to be fun and that it's impossible to singletap like a few months ago when it was just submitted and now in the last week he singletapped it.

You don't improve overnight unless you practice correctly and focus on specific things one at a time but it happens over time and eventually you go back to old maps that used to be hard for you and suddenly realize they feel normal or even too easy.
she_old
jesse used to be such a noob like 6-8 months ago, now he's touched by jesus.
thelewa
I wish I was touched by jesus, I'm getting sick of having to retry everything a 100 times before I manage to FC it once
Cyclohexane
both
druidxd

Aqo wrote:

It's naive to think there's a skill cap at all, because nobody has hit a skill cap yet.

Nobody.
There is a skill cap, if there wouldn't be a skill cap then people could theoretically train to react faster than 10ms, and move their fingers fast enough to be able to play 1000bpm 1/4 streams flawlessly, but that's absurd, because you have PHYSICAL and MENTAL limitations, those limitations are not even for all of us.
Jordan

druidxd wrote:

Aqo wrote:

Nobody.
There is a skill cap, if there wouldn't be a skill cap then people could theoretically train to react faster than 10ms, and move their fingers fast enough to be able to play 1000bpm 1/4 streams flawlessly, but that's absurd, because you have PHYSICAL and MENTAL limitations, those limitations are not even for all of us.
I don't think that makes much sense, no one has ever come even light years close to what you can define "physics and mental limitations".
druidxd

Jordan wrote:

I don't think that makes much sense, no one has ever come even light years close to what you can define "physics and mental limitations".
That's the point, you can easily make something sound absurd, but if you think about it, if skill cap is non-existant, as Aqo said, just because nobody has hit it yet, then you can think of absurd things, such as streaming 1000 bpm, or reacting almost instantly, but as we know, that's just impossible, physically impossible, it's a limitation that our human body gives us.
So there is a skill cap, but how high is it? It depends, some people have higher skill caps, just because they have natural talents, they are better at some things, Cookiezi is a living proof of this, he is not the only one that has practiced a lot, I mean, there are at least 20 players that have practiced as much or even more than him (probably even more than 20), but he's still the best, he's the best osu player, and everyone agrees on that because he can show how good he is. He's naturally good.

My assumptions are that you can improve indefinetly, but the improvement becomes smaller every time, it's like limits on math, I guess, and the limit varies from one person to the other.
Aqo

druidxd wrote:

then you can think of absurd things, such as streaming 1000 bpm, or reacting almost instantly, but as we know, that's just impossible, physically impossible, it's a limitation that our human body gives us.
The idea of streaming over 240bpm was absurd and beyond impossible at 2009. If you told somebody then that people can learn to do 270bpm streams he'll be like "pfft that's impossible".

Did the laws of physics suddenly change over the years or something.
Jordan
Maps changed
druidxd

Aqo wrote:

druidxd wrote:

then you can think of absurd things, such as streaming 1000 bpm, or reacting almost instantly, but as we know, that's just impossible, physically impossible, it's a limitation that our human body gives us.
The idea of streaming over 240bpm was absurd and beyond impossible at 2009. If you told somebody then that people can learn to do 270bpm streams he'll be like "pfft that's impossible".

Did the laws of physics suddenly change over the years or something.

Then let's wait 2 years and then we will be able to watch either cookiezi or someone else play 270bpm maps on DT+HR.

Don't know if serious or just trolling.

Even the laws of physics have limitations on certain aspects, as for example speed, you can't go faster than the speed of light.
Mukku
genetics exist
druidxd
Also, if you think about it, if you could develop a high enough skill, you will be bottlenecked by your hardware, such as your keyboard, you need to press keys on it, and you need to let it go for a fraction of a second to re-press it, you can't press it faster than that, it's not like you could press keys so fast to achieve 1000bpm streams, although I still have no mathematical facts on it, I should know how long does it take to the key to be able to press it again, but it should be calculated.
Aqo
No matter what you say, people haven't come close to limits yet.
Things that look impossible to you now will become standard once players who play seriously will play more and improve more.
Trying to blame your inability to do stuff on nature is basically looking for excuses to not having nurtured enough.
GoldenWolf
300bpm streams seems impossible to me now, does it mean it will be the standard in 2 years ? C'mon aqo.
Aqo

GoldenWolf wrote:

300bpm streams seems impossible to me now, does it mean it will be the standard in 2 years ? C'mon aqo.
300bpm streams don't even seem impossible to me right now D:

The hard limits right now (based on player performance) are:
250bpm stream
240bpm jump

The light limits (based on player inconsistent performance):
300bpm stream
275bpm jump
ziin
Nature affects nurture
Nurture can't affect nature
Thus Nature is the only thing that affects anything.

I will never be a top level player because I wasn't born with the ability to practice mundane tasks for hours on end. I have natural talent for music which has been nurtured over my life, however, which makes me above average at all rhythm games.

Jordan wrote:

Humans are able to innovate in many different ways. 4000 bpm is a bit out there, but I imagine with 4 fingers and a little programming it would be easy to do. Someone would probably call that cheating though.

Also, reaction time can be completely negated through memorization.
druidxd

Aqo wrote:

No matter what you say, people haven't come close to limits yet.
Things that look impossible to you now will become standard once players who play seriously will play more and improve more.
Trying to blame your inability to do stuff on nature is basically looking for excuses to not having nurtured enough.
I'm not looking for excuses, and i'm even probably soon retireing from osu because I'm going to start playing competitive dota 2, and other games, but saying that there isn't a skill cap and justifying it by saying that players back in 200X couldn't stream is just using a flawed argument.

High skilled players are coming closer and closer to their respective skill caps, and that is determined by a "genetic" level, if I might say so, although skill caps are probably not too distant from one to another, they are not exactly the same.

Yes, high skilled players can still improve, but the more they improve, the less the will be able to improve later, until the only thing that is left is retrying a map 2000 times until you FC it, even though you have been able to do it almost FCing it with 99.99% accuracy over and over, but you failed to FC it because a single miss.
Sure they can even memorize that map and play it with FL, being this an improvement on a mental way (memorizing a huge map, or something like that).

I can be wrong, I'm not saying that I'm the one who dictates the rules of this and that, it's just that this is how I see this.
ziin

Aqo wrote:

300bpm streams don't even seem impossible to me right now D:

The hard limits right now (based on player performance) are:
250bpm stream
240bpm jump

The light limits (based on player inconsistent performance):
300bpm stream
275bpm jump
1760 (440bpm 1/4ths) keyboard strokes per minute using only 2 keys on a keyboard is not far fetched according to other rhythm games.
Ekaru

ziin wrote:

1760 (440bpm 1/4ths) keyboard strokes per minute using only 2 keys on a keyboard is not far fetched according to other rhythm games.
I want those people's fingers and keyboards. ;_;

EDIT: It's amazing how fast one can "stream" using only two feet, though.
ziin
microsoft comfort curve 2000 is like $20.

EDIT: Heel and toe!
druidxd

ziin wrote:

1760 keyboard strokes per minute using 2 keys.
880 keyboard strokes per minute per key (1760/2)
14,66666 keyboard strokes per second per key.
I've read somewhere that I can't find now that the world record was 16 keystrokes per second, so...

16*60 = 960. (960 keyboard strokes per minute, single key)
960*2 = 1920. (1920 keyboard strokes per minute, 2 keys)

That would theoretically be 480 bpm 1/4ths. World record.

So in theory, an osu player could play Syrsa - Mad Machine on DT, and even FC SS it, if he had perfect response time and aiming.

No person on earth would be able to stream 1000bpm, therefore skill cap exists because of physical limitations.

Btw, 300 bpm streams would probably be pro's standard in a couple of years, people can fc Mad Machine right now, which is 270 bpm.
Liut
The game is becoming easier not cause the skill of the player is raising but only cause there are more and more players...
Aqo
If the world record is streaming 480bpm then we're still far off from being anywhere near the limit yo.
Come on guys step it up. Practice harder.
Do you even lift.
MillhioreF
Well, that's not streaming 480bpm, that's singletapping 240 bpm. I can singletap 110 bpm for ages but can't stream 220 bpm for very long at all, so there's some difference.
druidxd

Aqo wrote:

If the world record is streaming 480bpm then we're still far off from being anywhere near the limit yo.
Come on guys step it up. Practice harder.
Do you even lift.
That's the world record of keystrokes per second on a SINGLE key, and that's probably done the same way we see people upload single tapping videos to youtube where they stream at about 180bpm/190bpm single tapping, they don't really press it the same way we do, they do something as "shivering" to achieve this. I doubt that people could "shiver" double tapping, too unlikely, and probably impossible, unless it's done with the taiko big circle method, but that means poor accuracy. So no, I don't think anyone would be able to stream 480bpm, probably 300-350bpm 1/4ths, but it's already really a lot, more than that's it's too unlikely.

But that's not the point, the point is that we could establish a skill limit or cap, so, nurturing will only make you achieve that skill cap, but, is it the same for everyone? I don't think so, the way I see it, talented people can achieve better results and have a higher skill cap, so in a way, once everyone is "done" practicing, the "high level play" would be determined by nature and genetics, keep in mind that it is a theoretically way of seeing this, you can always memorize a map by playing it a billion times and get a better score that someone that is better than you because of flashlight, but if we give a new "limit pusher" map to a talented player, and a normal player that achieve their skill cap then on it's first try, the talented one will theoretically speaking achieve better results/score.

MillhioreF wrote:

Well, that's not streaming 480bpm, that's singletapping 240 bpm. I can singletap 110 bpm for ages but can't stream 220 bpm for very long at all, so there's some difference.
Do you single tap 240bpm 1/4ths streams? (the math was done counting every note on a Xbpm 1/4ths stream)
buny
You can't just double single tap speed and call it stream speed

Otherwise I'd be dt'ing chipscape
druidxd

buny wrote:

You can't just double single tap speed and call it stream speed

Otherwise I'd be dt'ing chipscape
I know, It was just a calculation done theoretically, there are other factors involved in osu!, pratically I would say that a stream "skill cap" would be around achieve 300-350bpm 1/4ths, talking about pro's.

What I did was a kind of "extrapolation".

It was done to clarify that there is a skill limit, and that players are getting closer and closer to that limit, probably the closer they get, the less they will improve on the same amount of time "x".
Aqo

druidxd wrote:

I know, It was just a calculation done theoretically, there are other factors involved in osu!, pratically I would say that a stream "skill cap" would be around achieve 300-350bpm 1/4ths, talking about pro's.
You're just making up numbers and, had somebody made up those numbers with the same mindset you're using right now, 3 years ago, they'd come up with lower numbers.

Point is: nature doesn't limit you in any practical way. Maybe some cap exists somewhere but nobody can claim to be restricted by nature because so far there is not a single player anywhere close to a cap.
druidxd

Aqo wrote:

druidxd wrote:

You're just making up numbers and, had somebody made up those numbers with the same mindset you're using right now, 3 years ago, they'd come up with lower numbers.

Point is: nature doesn't limit you in any practical way. Maybe some cap exists somewhere but nobody can claim to be restricted by nature because so far there is not a single player anywhere close to a cap.
That IS true right now, but in a couple years it will be more evident that nature limits you, as you said, we will be impressed by people streaming 325bpm, and we would probably say that this was unthinkable 2 years in the past, probably cookiezi will still be a "god" of osu, but also probably other players will shine with their talent.

In fact, "natural talent" is everywhere, there are talented mathematicians, talented actors, why can't there be talented osu players? it's not that they were born to play osu, but they were born with better "things" like reflexes, control over their hands, focus, etcetera, just as talented mathematicians or talented chess players are more intelligent, they aren't born to play chess, but they have higher "intelligence" that makes them better at those things.

*Edit*: there would probably be a more clear line between high level "talented" players and high level "normal" players in a couple years in the future.
buny
Nobody streamed fast in the older days because no map required a fast stream speed

People learn to stream faster because of the faster tempo songs that are made in this day of age. That doesn't mean that it is a linear improvement.
druidxd

buny wrote:

Nobody streamed fast in the older days because no map required a fast stream speed

People learn to stream faster because of the faster tempo songs that are made in this day of age. That doesn't mean that it is a linear improvement.
It's not linear, in fact I didn't even said it was linear, I did said that improvement had a limit, and the closer you get to that limit the less improvement you will see in an "x" period of time.
thelewa

jesse1412
I think it's nurture

So I'm wrong.
thelewa
jesse1412
Jordan
wat.
thelewa
I am sexy and I think it's nature
show more