forum

osu! Public Release (b20121221)

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Sandiwk-

peppy wrote:

smoogipooo wrote:

I'm curious as to what peppy's reply would be if people were to replace all their backgrounds with 1x1 transparent PNG's and 1x1 black JPGs. Would he be okay with it or would he employ another technique such as checking the hash of the background to force us to stare at map backgrounds?
You will need to repair your maps if you modify files at all. Please move your discussion to here – OH WAIT, IT'S LOCKED!

sandiwk wrote:

I really Hate the new update :(
my Osu! feel laggy
now 1000fps before 300fps-450fps :(
can me cancel the UPDATE :x
Try restarting your PC and checking for any recent hardware/software changes. Make sure nothing else is using your CPU. Nothing has changed that should affect performance.
me only open Osu!
Graphik_old
Is there a way to remove the popping up visual settings at the beginning of beatmaps? I find it annoying sorry :s
EGOIST-_old

Zarerion wrote:

what he meant is the following:

You won't try to FC an AR10 High BPM Map at the first try anyway, so you can just play it the first time with BG and SB. After playing the map once you know which mods you can use (if you can use mods at all) and still FC/SS the map. Then, when you try to get your rank, you can disable the map elemets you don't want.

And, if you're really able to FC such a map, you should be able to AT LEAST pass it even though you use transparent circles and have BG enabled. If not, use another skin for the first try.
normally I play the first 10 seconds to deem difficulty (also looking at the scoreboard helps)
ddr2c68
this system nice!

but my osu! become some lag QAQ
[_YIz
osu! seems more laggy as I come back for Christmas
I didn't have this issue before
[_YIz
btw the scorebar didn't refill at the initial
it goes straight filled after I have pressed the "Retry" button
Lincolm
Deleting backgrounds makes osu! ANGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Please use the "Background Dim" setting instead.
Okay...
Yuriii_old
very Nice... :)
Aquamarine
http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/539426

BPM: 210-215|176

What does it mean?
Nilsso

Zarerion wrote:

Nilsso wrote:

bad enough to not be able to pass it without skin elements :D (why dont u tell cookiezi/niko/rucker/silvia they are bad for playing on a black BG.)? Its a preference, and a black background lets u concentrate a lot more on what matters, rather than on some kooky BG/SB. it takes like ~10-20 secs to delete the bg, I already did it with every single map. This has nothing to do with hr/dt/hd or any mods for that matter, my hit circles are barely visible on colorful background, because the hit circles are used to play hidden with. I wont change them, and its really hard to play with them on a standard BG/SB. This goes for almost any "good" skin, hitcircles are transparent so u can see through them while playing hidden. This is also crucial...
what he meant is the following:

You won't try to FC an AR10 High BPM Map at the first try anyway, so you can just play it the first time with BG and SB. After playing the map once you know which mods you can use (if you can use mods at all) and still FC/SS the map. Then, when you try to get your rank, you can disable the map elemets you don't want.

And, if you're really able to FC such a map, you should be able to AT LEAST pass it even though you use transparent circles and have BG enabled. If not, use another skin for the first try.
Does not matter what he ment, this is a bad idea/concept to implement in the game.
Its a waste of time playing it with BG/SB, because u wont do good anyway. + If ur grinding random new maps with hd/hr or hd/dt its impossible to play with SB/BG. What if u are having problems passing a map with SB/BG, because of the SB/BG, that u would otherwise have less problems with while using your own skin and no bg. Dont say nofail/DT through, because that kills ur accuracy. Just make it insta dimm...

Imagine downloading all the content again for 40k+ maps, thats a lot of fun aswell. This decision just goes against all logic :D hahaha....
Jordan
NF+DT doesn't even count as a play...
MillhioreF

Jordan wrote:

NF+DT doesn't even count as a play...
It does, but you have to get at least 50-60% accuracy. This was added around the time Fun Spoiler was, and it's very annoying to not have your score submit in such circumstances.
Topic Starter
peppy
You don't need 50-60% accuracy. You do need to play, though.
Landere
Not that I want to complain but is it normal that if you play multiplayer that you'll only see who won at the end and your score, nothing else?
CXu
Stop complaining about what you don't get, and just be happy about what you get.

Can't deal with playing through a map once? Use nf+dt, learn to play with bg, or just quit. Playing osu! was never supposed to be on a black background anyway.
graimmer
мда зашибись, новое обновление на широкоэкранки неиграбельно почти полностью - откатываюсь на предыдущее :|
Nilsso

CXu wrote:

Stop complaining about what you don't get, and just be happy about what you get.

Can't deal with playing through a map once? Use nf+dt, learn to play with bg, or just quit. Playing osu! was never supposed to be on a black background anyway.
Why not complain? Nothing is perfect, people will always complain, deal with that. Does not matter what it was supposed to be, its a matter of whats best and whats not best, black background is by far the best to play with. aka better performance which is everything...
CXu
Which isn't everything*

Fix'd.
waluigino1

Nilsso wrote:

CXu wrote:

Why not complain? Nothing is perfect, people will always complain, deal with that. Does not matter what it was supposed to be, its a matter of whats best and whats not best, black background is by far the best to play with. aka better performance which is everything...
It's not all about that. Some people just play to have fun and like seeing the backgrounds and themes. Why pile everyone into one group? We aren't all alike.
Ekaru

Nilsso wrote:

CXu wrote:

Why complain? Nothing is getting changed, you will continue to look like a brat, deal with that. Does not matter what you want, its a matter of whats best and whats not best, and for the majority* a pretty background is by far the best to play with. aka peppy makes this game so his will is everything...

*This is true, BTW. The super hardcore are a minority.

EDIT: For real, though, you're acting like doing a NoFail run for each map you download will kill you - you only need to play for like 10 seconds for it to count, right? If you can't even do that with BGs because of your skins then maybe your skin is a tad *too* transparent? : P
Jordan

waluigino1 wrote:

Why pile everyone into one group? We aren't all alike.
Same for the people who DON'T want to play seeing backgrounds and themes. :P
waluigino1
That's my point though. Some don't want to see the BG's. Some do. And some don't care if the song has one or not. The post I replied to grouped everyone into the first group which in reality isn't the truth.
vickythoria14
:P :P :P :P
Nilsso
I find it really funny that only mappers and random rank 100k+ players supports this :D hahaha.
Phonk_old

Nilsso wrote:

CXu wrote:

absolutely right
CXu

Nilsso wrote:

I find it really funny that only mappers and random rank 100k+ players supports this :D hahaha.
ikr.
Oinari-sama
Not everyone's playing for top ranks. I for one play for relaxation so bg/video/sb are very important elements that accompany the song and hold a great map together.

You're given the option to disable all those elements after 1 play anyway if you want to go for top ranks.

The new update is great!
Cyclone
peppy, something i meant to talk to you about the fun spoiler, but i'm away from home right now, and i know i'll forget again. The 'fun spoiler' should not be 'up' when the song starts. It's slightly annoying to have to move the cursor away from it at the start of every map, especially when I'm not even using the mouse (Mania mode). Great patch other than that.

EDIT: Or maybe if it just went away after a second or so if you don't move the cursor.
XBLightz

Jordan wrote:

rickyboi wrote:

>60% dim
Ain't nobody got time for that. Why not just put the 100% there already?
I think the same. Being forced to play the map once before dimming and removing elements is stupid. If I'd map something, sincerely, I wouldn't give a shit of who deletes my elements. Map elements are made for people who want to enjoy them. Forcing everyone to see your work is dumb and annoying for who doesn't want to see it.
That's a tiny bit harsh, but I do agree. I noticed almost everyone is talking about backgrounds and for me it doesn't even matter. The only element I "keep" in the folders are the 'hitcircle.png' files because for me, those are what make each song unique. Now let's say I do beat a map once and disable background + force my own skin on the song. Well what do I do about the 'hitcircle.png' files now? Now I have a ton of songs that have the exact same circles to hit. kind of makes the game boring in my opinion.
I'm not going to quit for something so trivial but it is a let down to be forced into this, specifically since I subscribed for a year before the update.
DevianteBrent
What does Peppy mean by "osu! might EXPLODE"?
smoogipoo

DevianteBrent wrote:

What does Peppy mean by "osu! might EXPLODE"?
Osu! might crash (stop working).
hitori kun
Nice =D
100% Bg dim is not really 100% but a little bit less than 100%, and kiai time flashes make bg re-appear for istances, it's still really disturbing :(
Zare

119410501 wrote:

100% Bg dim is not really 100% but a little bit less than 100%
No. It's black. Unless you didn't pass the map yet.

119410501 wrote:

kiai time flashes make bg re-appear for istances, it's still really disturbing :(
You only see it for like 0.5 seconds. It's not disurbing, I sometimes dont even notice.
Loading_old

Zarerion wrote:

119410501 wrote:

It's not 100%, I think it's around 95-98% because I can see the bg even if it's hard.
weretiger

peppy wrote:

H_Hitachiin wrote:

Yay :D
I still miss No Video mod though...
You can disable video from the visual settings panel.
I understand some ppl(like myself) prefer to play without an annoying/distracting video in the BG, when playing any form of osu(going by some of the comments in this thread). I understand you can disable the video in the visual settings, but you have to do each song individually that is very frustrating, whereas the no vid mod did to all of them with just one click of it(It's not like ppl who wanted videos had to take the mod off every time before they started playing)!!!!! Is there anyway you could hide the no video mod in the options for ppl who might share the same views as me on this?!!! Thanks :cry:
Soaprman
Go to options from the main menu and uncheck background video.
weretiger

Soaprman wrote:

Go to options from the main menu and uncheck background video.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Zarerion wrote:

119410501 wrote:

119410501 wrote:

kiai time flashes make bg re-appear for istances, it's still really disturbing :(
You only see it for like 0.5 seconds. It's not disurbing, I sometimes dont even notice.

I know i have to pass the map, and i know what I am saying. It's not 100% even it shows you you dimmed it to 100%.
Flashes are really disturbing because they affect to bg dim instead of disappearing if bg dim is 100% (indeed it isn't).
Zare
http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/551542

this is 100% black o_O

Zarerion wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/551542

this is 100% black o_O
Try chosing some really bright bg, full of white and other bright colors, you'll notice something
Anyway the flashes are still too much disturbing
Zare
Okay. I'd like EVERYONE who thinks the kiai flashes are too distracting to take a alook at that video:

If that guy can S such a song even despite this super flashy video, you guys can play osu! with having the BG visible for 0.5 seconds

Zarerion wrote:

Okay. I'd like EVERYONE who thinks the kiai flashes are too distracting to take a alook at that video:

If that guy can S such a song even despite this super flashy video, you guys can play osu! with having the BG visible for 0.5 seconds
I'm a FL player. I can't be distracted by flashes. I have a small field of view already, and i need to see everything, white on black.
Nilsso

Zarerion wrote:

LOL. That video cannot be used in this context, 2 different games. Points have been made about this already, go read them again.
waluigino1

Nilsso wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

LOL. That video cannot be used in this context, 2 different games. Points have been made about this already, go read them again.
That looked way harder than osu! Your "points" are invalid. If he S'd that song with all that crap flashing, you guys should be fine with little flashes that come up every once in a while.
RaneFire

Nilsso wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

The notes are already displayed for the full "bar" across the game screen. Nothing is obscured no matter how much flashing happens because you've already seen the whole play field. Quite different from osu! where each note appearing is the next step in the playfield, as opposed to entire sections appearing beforehand. (I'm not denying the skill and coordination required in DJMax, but as far as readability goes, it's not the same.)

I think this pretty much explains why Nilsso said that the video can't be used in this context. osu! is more vulnerable to interruptions in the "perception reflex action" (Yes there is such a thing) of the eye/brain taking notice of new appearing notes, and/or, in the case of FL, the flashes reveal a glimpse of a pattern on the BG that "looks" like an approach circle. At high AR's there is a very small time frame of planning ahead in osu! which is adversely affected by conflicting visuals appearing in conjunction with notes.

But then again, I don't find the 0.5 sec flashes a problem? Just sayin'
waluigino1
Yeah, there is an obvious difference, but TBH, I've played both. I find osu! much easier, even with BG Pics and Videos.

RaneFire wrote:

The notes are already displayed for the full "bar" across the game screen. Nothing is obscured no matter how much flashing happens because you've already seen the whole play field. Quite different from osu! where each note appearing is the next step in the playfield, as opposed to entire sections appearing beforehand. (I'm not denying the skill and coordination required in DJMax, but as far as readability goes, it's not the same.)

I think this pretty much explains why Nilsso said that the video can't be used in this context. osu! is more vulnerable to interruptions in the "perception reflex action" (Yes there is such a thing) of the eye/brain taking notice of new appearing notes, and/or, in the case of FL, the flashes reveal a glimpse of a pattern on the BG that "looks" like an approach circle. At high AR's there is a very small time frame of planning ahead in osu! which is adversely affected by conflicting visuals appearing in conjunction with notes.

But then again, I don't find the 0.5 sec flashes a problem? Just sayin'
You're right. But instead, i find the flashes as a problem. I want a totally clear gameplay.
Blindy_old_1
That's awesome!
Nilsso

waluigino1 wrote:

Yeah, there is an obvious difference, but TBH, I've played both. I find osu! much easier, even with BG Pics and Videos.
I am 100% curtain u dont play at a high level in any of these games, u dont even play ar10/ar11. Which means all ur opinions mean nothing in this.
Topic Starter
peppy
Consider that if I had my way, osu! would be more flashy than djmax. Take a look at osu!arcade. If it ever gets into arcades, there will be none of this background dim silliness, too :P.