forum

Manually change the SR or PP of a BM to prevent the abuse of the pp system

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +432
Topic Starter
Silver Eyes
Osu! has changed the PP system several times but the mappers always find a way to abuse of the System and make easy maps that award alot of PP. These maps are also called as PP MAPS.

There will never be a perfect PP System that prevents the mapper to abuse of the PP system.

My suggestion is to have a system that allow a chosen people of the BN/QA's team to increase or decrease the STAR RATING or PP of a unbalanced beatmap.

How this will works:

1 - The community chooses what beatmaps need a rebalance.
2 - The most voted beatmaps should appear on the top of priority.
3 - The BN/QA's will first verify if the beatmaps really need a rebalance and if they agree, the new proposal of PP/STARS should be first accepted by the community and then be accepted by at least 3 members of the BN/QA's team before the changes going live in-game.

The point is to make the beatmaps award exactly what they value, nothing more and nothing less!

This would also help to fix the issue of very difficulty maps that can't be correctly calculated by the star rating system, like 6 stars maps that are harder than 8 stars maps and fast sliders maps.

FAQ:

There's hundreds and thousands of beatmaps. how do you think we will manually change them all, one by one?
This system should works like the feature request system. The comunnity chooses the beatmaps that need to be manually buffed/nerfed and then the most voted beatmaps should appear on the top of priority.

New beatmaps should be manually calculate before going to the qualifying process.

To the rest of the beatmaps, the team must organize weekly changes. That means that they will select a bunch of beatmaps every single week and eventually this will cover all the beatmaps in osu!

So the BN/QA's will decide everything?
They will not decide everything, the community will decide and vote what beatmaps really need a rebalance and the BN/QA's will first verify before going to the rebalance process.

How they will know the exact amount of PP that the beatmap is worth?
I know, there's a lot of things that are considered on the pp system. Like the Aim, Speed and others.
The BN/QA's will manually recalculate every single aspect present in the beatmap and then they will decide together the closest value to reality.

What if someone decide to abuse of this and change an 1 star BM to 10 stars or 100 pp to 1000pp?
The request would need to be accepted by at least 3 or more members from the QA to be live in game, so there's no chance that it would be abused by any mapper or mapper friends.

So any BN/QA will have the power to decide these changes?
No, they can't! There will be a small group of high qualified people who will have the power to do it.

We can just make a new PP system instead of this
There will never be a perfect PP System and even the best PP system could be abused by the mappers, so i don't think any kind of PP system will fix the unbalanced system we have.
andreapietro001

Silver Eyes wrote:

Osu! has changed the PP system several times to fix overweight but the mappers always find a way to abuse of the System and make easy maps that award alot of PP.
These maps are also called as PP MAPS... F U SOTARKS!!!!!!

I don't think we will see a system that prevents any kind of PP MAPS to abuse of the system... (at least not too soon)

My suggestion is to have a system that allow the Quality Assurance Team to Open a request to increase or decrease the star rating of a overweight/underweight beatmap.
Since most of the PP is based on the star and combo, this would affect directly the PP.

This request would need to be accepted by at least 3 or more members from the QA to be live in game, so there's no chance that it would be abused by the mapper friends
I named Quality Assurance Team but it's just an example, it could be a new role too.

The point is to make the beatmaps award exactly what they value, nothing more and nothing less!

This would also fix the issue of very difficulty maps that can't be correctly calculated by the star rating system, like 6 stars maps that are harder than 8 stars maps and fast sliders maps.

This idea of yours has various problems. If the position in question is not paid the people who will be put to do the work will not take it seriously and as a result nothing will change. They could also abuse the system to earn pp, or make bad choices.
There are some maps easier or more difficult than the stars that are attributed but the maps in question are very few, and the pp system is not based only on stars
Topic Starter
Silver Eyes

andreapietro001 wrote:

This idea of yours has various problems. If the position in question is not paid the people who will be put to do the work will not take it seriously and as a result nothing will change. They could also abuse the system to earn pp, or make bad choices.
There are some maps easier or more difficult than the stars that are attributed but the maps in question are very few, and the pp system is not based only on stars

The request would need to be accepted by at least 3 or more members from the QA to be live in game, so there's no chance that it would be abused by any mapper or mapper friends.

I know, there's a lot of things that are considered on the pp system. Like the Aim, Speed and others. But whatever if we make a new pp system, it will never be perfect. There's aways will be a beatmap that doesnt value what it should. Because of this im sure that the best to do is to keep the actual system and implement this idea of mine to fix the minor problems instead of creating more problems.
andreapietro001

Silver Eyes wrote:

andreapietro001 wrote:

I know, there's a lot of things that are considered on the pp system. Like the Aim, Speed and others. But whatever if we make a new pp system, it will never be perfect. There's aways will be a beatmap that doesnt value what it should. Because of this im sure that the best to do is to keep the actual system and implement this idea of mine to fix the minor problems instead of creating more problems.

If this idea is not implemented in a serious way in the long term it will create more problems of the benefits that it could give
Topic Starter
Silver Eyes

andreapietro001 wrote:

If this idea is not implemented in a serious way in the long term it will create more problems of the benefits that it could give

Don't worry. The Peppy and his team know what they do, and they won't will implement anything until everything be fully right and safe
andreapietro001

Silver Eyes wrote:

andreapietro001 wrote:

Don't worry. The Peppy and his team know what they do, and they won't will implement anything until everything be fully right and safe

Good luck on this
KcHecKa
No.
treyarch

KcHecKa wrote:

No.

Yes
DomintesFangirl
YO HERBERT PUT THIS IN NOT EVEN JOKING STR8 UP
Karxy
I will glue your ring finger to a shower curtain.
Easy
This is a horrible idea.

The pp system is designed to award approximately the right amount of pp, and nothing should change.
No matter how the system changes, mappers will try to make challenging and rewarding maps.

What if slider jumps or easier maps were more rewarding? Some mappers would map them more since the community wants maps that give pp. Giving QA's more power like this isn't a bad idea by itself. However, what if they created a big long statement to back up their claim that a map should have an insane amount of pp and give certain mappers priority hence creating snowflake pp mappers? The ranking system is already fine, but if you put your salt aside for a minute, and think about the possible outcomes of this kind of system it's not worth it.

If QA's can change SR or PP at will I guarantee you the community will backlash. You're creating more problems.
Dntm8kmeeatu
The QAT doesn't even exist anymore.
Zozimoto
ah yes, insulting a person in a feature request, very classy.
z0z
this is a bad idea, mostly because if the whole star rating system shifts in anyway, then human-rated maps would be left at the selected difficulty and be inaccurate

the best possible solution is to make a pp/sr system that covers all cases

instead why don't make it so the mapper can choose what difficulty the map is considered for so the mapper can choose insane if it's intended to be a insane or expert if it's intended to be a expert so that a 3* normal can be rated as a normal
Lights
big "no thanks"
Topic Starter
Silver Eyes

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

The QAT doesn't even exist anymore.

I named Quality Assurance Team but it's just an example, it could be a new role too.
AncuL
since PP is not dependent solely on SR, but rather on multiple aspects of the map, it gets pretty complicated to work around. every single other human-level-rated rhythm games don't even have anything close to osu's pp system.

it doesn't end there. osu has hundreds of maps uploaded each day and tens of ranked ones every day. needing to approximate every single maps (and their individual diffs) gets exhausting quickly. not to mention that every players have different things that they're good at, which makes rating difficult and can spark new controversies every single day

a lot of people have also posted their opinions in this twitter post. i hope you know how unified everyone's voice are at this point
abraker
This needs to be denied

This has already been done before. Back in the day overrated maps were manually nerfed. Idk when last time this happened, but it feels wrong to manually correct what a formula is doing wrong. Rather,the formula needs to be fixed, and that was not option back in the day when the formula was a secret.
Condizionatore
I don't think this system will work
andreapietro001

abraker wrote:

This needs to be denied

This has already been done before. Back in the day overrated maps were manually nerfed. Idk when last time this happened, but it feels wrong to manually correct what a formula is doing wrong. Rather,the formula needs to be fixed, and that was not option back in the day when the formula was a secret.

There are too many variables to always have all the beatmaps with the exact difficulty, especially if the mapper abuses the system. If a person were to check the maps reported by the community i don't see where the problem is, mappers would have no problems from it, since the system will be implemented with a report-system
show more