forum

Does anyone here speak/learn Japanese?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Simple question :). I'm interested in getting a Japanese conversation thread going if there's enough interest!
Starrodkirby86
Don't know many phrases, know just little sayings, like "Hai", "Iie", "Nani", and so forth. I also remember the numbers from 1-10. Ichi, Ni, San, Shi, Go, Roku, Nana, Kyuu, and Ju. XD
Kylecito

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Don't know many phrases, know just little sayings, like "Hai", "Iie", "Nani", and so forth. I also remember the numbers from 1-10. Ichi, Ni, San, Shi, Go, Roku, Nana, Kyuu, and Ju. XD

AKA anime japanese
Starrodkirby86

Kylecito wrote:

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

AKA anime japanese
Hahaha, thanks. XD

At least I don't say "Baka" to everybody or anybody, or commonly at all. That'll make me feel like a total n00b. I'll focus solely on Engrish thanks. And Thai. :P
Kylecito
hahahaha its ok, it was just some lame attempt at trolling ;D
JacoPOP
I downloaded a full course with CD..
I started it last year..
But I had to stop to focus on regular studies.. :cry:

One day, it's a dream, i'll learn it and go to Japan.

I'm so damn sure about it..
Ezzpify
I haved learned some japanese vocabularies as I started to play Japanese TV video game when I was just 5.
Some common words like "magic" "equipment" "item" etc(mostly from RPG LOL).
I can clearly identify them, but it is difficult for me to write.
chan
Yeah I speak... of sorts. It's been a long time since high school.
tensheapz
Tried once and gave up... just like so many other things i've tried to learn!
Kylecito

tensheapz wrote:

Tried once and gave up... just like so many other things i've tried to learn!
same here
only bothered to learn kana
Lumino
Learnt on and off for awhile, but now I'm doing it at university, progressing nicely. :)
Starting 'advanced 1' next semester, probably along side introductory Chinese :shock:
meyou22
I'm also like Lumino, on and off. I'm planning to take it in University, so maybe it can be something I teach my students (I plan to become a teacher, yes...more school. Huzzah! :roll: )
Topic Starter
peppy
I guess I started this thread but never really mentioned my history!

I studied Japanese through high-school and university, and majored in it. I don't use it much since I graduated apart from watching japanese TV so it is gradually deteriorating in my head :(.
GEN_old

Lumino wrote:

Learnt on and off for awhile, but now I'm doing it at university, progressing nicely. :)
Starting 'advanced 1' next semester, probably along side introductory Chinese :shock:
Nice. :D
I've forgotten a lot of what I learnt now, which sucks. I can still read hira/katakana easily and I still know enough to use Japanese P2P programs. As well as kind of understanding game centre cx.
[deleted user]
I minored in it after taking two years. Would've (double-)majored, but I started it too late in my junior year.
I graduated two years ago, and have lost a bit since I graduated. I've tried to self-study to not forget it, but I still have a long way to go for it to be useful.
RemmyX25
a friend of mine went to japan once. shes teaching (as well as our friends) a little of what she knew.

I also have a jap-eng dictionary! That and the 3-CD course but it didnt help.
Gilrad
一年勉強する!

少し読めるでも、話せない。 余りしません ^^;

I plan on going to Japan next year, so hopefully I can make the jump to pseudo-fluency by then.
Topic Starter
peppy
ああ、誰かがやっと日本語で打った!

Gilradさん初めまして。勉強をがんばってね!
tsububu
ohha!
Born in Japan, came to Australia at very young age. I speak Japanese at home with my parents.
I used to go to saturday school everyweek (until high school), but never paid attention.

Watch a little bit of anime here and there, enjoy variety shows, and listen to jpop.
JacoPOP

tsububu wrote:

ohha!
Born in Japan, came to Australia at very young age. I speak Japanese at home with my parents.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I wanna be you..
Eagle1101
At my high-school you can learn either French or some really odd language (i'm guessing they had Japanese. I HATE French beacuse it is very annoying but
"dans le fin, Je chois Francais." :P
RemmyX25
Question for the Japanese Majors....

Hopefully everyone knows that the kanji in my signature is Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!! (Go! Fight! Cheer Squad!!), but is that the real kanji? I looked up Go in my jap-eng dictionary but nither "Osu" nor the kanji show up.... Am i missing something here?
Topic Starter
peppy
Ok here goes a translation from wikipedia-jp on the origin of the word osu. There are two separate meanings - one which was used as a greeting between upper and lower students in some insitutes in japan. Both meanings are very deep in history and not used (with the kanji seen in the Ouendan title) in recent years. The second meaning has more relevance to what you would be interested in though:

一説では、佐賀・鍋島藩においては山本常朝の「葉隠」が武士道の基本とされ、藩校において厳しく躾が為されていた、若い青年武士たちは互いに励まし合う意味で、往来などで出会った際、押忍!と声を掛け合ったと言われている。応援団や武道家が使う押忍はこちらのほうの意味であり、友達同士でオスというのは前記のように「おはよう」などが縮まったものであると考えられる。

Theory has it that in some wards in Japan (can't be bothered translating place names, irrelevant) where the samurai was born, clans used very servere discipline on their members. It is said that the young members used to shout "OSU!" when seeing/meeting each other in the chaos, trying to cheer each other up. It is thought that the "osu!" that cheer groups/martial artists use was born from this meaning, moreso than the previously mentioned "osu" as a simple greeting (which is used in a more plain context of saying "hello").

Even in today's japanese culture, osu is used as a greeting (regularly heard as "ossu!" between friends) and is actually quite popular amongst the youth. But as you probably gathered from the translation above, this has a very different meaning to what is used by ouendan - and is never seen using the "押忍" kanji, but simply in hiragana or katakana "オッス!".

The greeting:
「おはようございます」
ohayou gozaimasu (good morning)

「おはよーっす」→
ohayo-ssu

「おわーす」→
owa-su

「おす」
osu

The origin of the kanji is as follows (in its original martial arts/ouendan-ish form):

「押して忍ぶ」(自我を抑え我慢する)
(押して)oshite (忍ぶ)shinobu (to push and withstand) - having the meaning of "swallowing one's ego and bearing with it"

Leads us to the final 「押忍」.

Hopefully I'm not too far off with this translation :).
Homestarrunner

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Isn't it Ichi, Ni, San, Yon (Well, thats what my CD says, haven't used it in years tho), Go, Roku, Hachi, Nana, Kyuu, and Ju
Eagle1101
the way I remember up to 5 is "itchy knee" "sun" She go"
Really stupid :P
Topic Starter
peppy

Homestarrunner wrote:

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Isn't it Ichi, Ni, San, Yon (Well, thats what my CD says, haven't used it in years tho), Go, Roku, Hachi, Nana, Kyuu, and Ju
shi/yon (4) and shichi/nana (7) are both interchangable and correct.
TimeSplitter95
I think I'm gonna learn :mrgreen:... 私の車は赤い。 = My car is red. XD
awp

Kylecito wrote:

only bothered to learn kana
hahahaha me too

I just learned enough Japanese to play Kingdom Hearts Final Mix/FM+ I also kind of remember how to say stuff like "Sorry, but I don't understand Japanese".
gyrus_old
yeah, i'm doing gcse japanese at the mo,i'm on my second year of it. お元気ですか。
TimeSplitter95
Osu! おかしいゲームはある、しかし私はそれをすることができない。 :P
[deleted user]
Hey Gyrus, what a coincidence. I'm doing GCSE Japanese too. But we've surpassed the GCSE level a long time ago (could've taken it two years ago and still gotten an A*, but our school system doesn't allow me to take it early >.>). I'm planning on taking IB Japanese B1 (for those of you who know what the heck IB is XD) which is going to kill me.
advancechao
I am taking it in school, it's my second year. IMO it's easier to read and talk than Chinese by far. I speak Cantonese at home and learn Mandarin in Saturday school so the Kanji comes pretty easily.
Gunzil
I feel obligated to post this link:

http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/

Author's Note:This whole essay, although sprinkled with truisms here and there, is a joke and should be taken like one. I'm actually a Japanese major myself, and even if I've given it a bit of a hard time, I love the Japanese language, and I think everyone should give it a try.

You should just be ready for a whole lot of pain.

HAPPY LANGUAGE LEARNING!
show more