forum

General opinions on fanservice in anime and manga

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gsun
Like how does Japan (or Korea, since is Manwha the Korean version of Manga? Idk.) get away with doing it like they do, do you think they take it too far, do you like it, do you think it's okay, etc.?
NitroZz
It can give a certain aspect to the anime sometimes, it's not bothersome (I wouldn't go as far as to say I like it), but unfortunately, it's often overdone
I AM VERY SMART

NitroZz wrote:

It can give a certain aspect to the anime sometimes, it's not bothersome (I wouldn't go as far as to say I like it), but unfortunately, it's often overdone
mostly in shonen where fanservices there are just ridiculous...
Jangsoodlor

Anaxii wrote:

NitroZz wrote:

That's to be expected considering the demographics
I AM VERY SMART

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

NitroZz wrote:

That's to be expected considering the demographics
but somehow it's almost as worse in other genres like shojo or fantasy
Kobold84

Gsun wrote:

Like how does Japan get away with doing it like they do
Fun things are fun. If you learn to enjoy fanservice, it's good. And it's great that Japan doesn't intervene with what people find fun.
I like fanservice when the anime doesn't take itself seriously, which is often the case.
Patatitta
not the biggest fan of ecchi
Reyalp51

Patatitta wrote:

not the biggest fan of ecchi
biggest fan of echhi here dont take his bullshit
DM FOR MUTUAL
I don't think fanservice in a vaccuum is a bad thing, but the ways that it sexualises minors and objectifies/demeans characters, especially women, is a bad thing. I also don't like when it takes away from the actual experience of reading/watching manga/anime because it's so bad/absurd.

Sometimes I can't help but enjoy it though, when it's done right/well and they aren't like 15, especially when the sexualisation of the character is actually a well written aspect of the work and not just sexualisation for the sake of sexualisation.
Topic Starter
Gsun
Well, nice to know not all fanservice is looked down upon!
Patatitta
idk, most of the shit I watch would actively be worse with fanservice, if you added more ecchi elemens to something ping pong or kino no tabi, at that point what are you doing with your life

+ if I wanted to see big anime titties I would just google for it, it doesn't need to be in my anime that i'm watching for purpouses
Neigdoig
I'd be careful about it. If fanservice is used as an excuse for a bad anime story, it's a no go. Otherwise, I'd be sparing with fanservice.