forum

Let's talk Easy mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +946
Topic Starter
Lybydose
This is perhaps the most misleading mod in this game. It claims to make maps easier and lumps a huge score penalty on the player for using it, and yet it does precisely the opposite: makes a great number of maps absolutely Insane.

There are a number of reasons for this:

1) The approach rate. This is the biggest reason. Most players, even new players, find faster approach rate easier than slower approach rate (to a certain point around 6-7 or so). Cutting the approach rate in half on harder maps is a HUGE change. Most Hard/Insane maps become completely unreadable because there are SO MANY circles on the screen at once.

2) Increased circle size. This usually makes it easier, but in a lot of situations it causes really confusing overlapping. Coupled with (1), the map is even more difficult to read.

3) Decreased overall difficulty. Yes, really. In osu!, you can't hit a note until the previous note either been hit or missed. By "missed", I mean that too much time has passed that you are no longer in the hit window to get a 50 on the note. A massive decrease in overall difficulty on harder maps makes the hit window for a note overlap with the "exact timing" of the next note in many cases. What this means is that if you misclick a note, yet hit the next one perfectly, you often miss it too because the previous note is still "active" and the note you clicked just "shakes", even though you hit it perfectly. You end up missing an entire chain of notes because of one misclick.

4) 3 life system. This doesn't actually make it harder, but it isn't implemented very well. It's incredibly difficult to resume playing after starting on the next life. Why? There's a completely unrhythmic amount of time spent waiting for the life bar to fill up again; it's impossible to tell exactly when you're supposed to start playing again. I think there's a button to skip this, but I have no idea what it is. The only reason I think this is because sometimes it immediately starts playing again without a wait. I've tried just about every logical button to intentionally skip it, and I've never managed to trigger it. Usually if I "fail" a map with Easy the first time (which is common thanks to (1) (2) and (3), I just immediately fail another 2 times.

5) Changes Insane maps far more than Easy maps. The Easy mod divides all the difficulty statistics by 2. This means that on an Insane (with AR/Drain/OD 8+), it makes a huge change. On easier maps (which it's probably intended for), it barely changes it at all. OD 1 ==> OD Half? Might as well not do anything at all.

So why am I bothering to post this? The "Easy" mod is misleading to new players! It makes things more difficult!

Basically, my feature request is to do one or more of the following:

1) Remove Easy mod completely.
2) Rework Easy mod to actually make things easier. How about letting the player choose their approach rate when Easy is enabled? How about dividing all the difficulty settings by 1.4 instead of 2.0 so it isn't such a massive change, or maybe just subtracting a static number? Reworking the "3 life system" so that the song backs up a couple sections so the player can get back "into the beat" when they resume?
3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps.
4) Something else?!

Ok sure, it would break existing replays on Easy mod. Thing is, there aren't many to begin with because it just isn't worth using to make a map harder, only to give less points. Most of the time people just use it to pass TAG4 maps with the extra life system.
Decay
lybydose, king of easy mod, has spoken. +1
Waryas
Some people think it makes map easier though
See SapphireGhost, _LRJ_ and many others.
@Decay: naptime is still easy modo god.
Hernan
I see EasyMode scores in this map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/10112 and I still can't believe them (Edit: Forgot to mention, Oni diff). Maybe EasyMode should decrease approach rate and Circle Size but not that much.
Luna
Completely agree that Easy mod should make stuff like AR choosable by the user.
It's by far the hardest mod for me, I can't read anything and fail simple Insanes that I can FC without mods even though it has lower drain and 3 lives. And it reduces score. Something is not quite right there @_@
Chaotic_old

Hernan wrote:

I see EasyMode scores in this map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/10112 and I still can't believe them
haha yes, i was thinking of this ^
Always remember ShaggoN playing it in easy mode.. and it looked way harder lol

I agree that the mod needs tweaking
Wishy
Easy mod should give x1.99 bonus since it's the hardest mod ever (ofc this is sarcastic). Low AR is harder than high AR and that's a fact. Easy mod was thought a long time ago I guess where maps were way different than what they are now, nowadays doing fast maps with easy mod is completly impossible unless the map is HIGHLY lineal or you know it perfectly (tried it myself, can't do complicated and tricky maps with easy, but yet if I know the map I can somehow manage to do it, which I just can't do on normal insane maps). Letting the player choose AR or aswell lowering it to 7 (6 tops) would be good, since I honestly can't believe (and this is absolutely personal) how can someone find easy playing with AR lower than 6, seriously I still have trouble playing low diff maps since the AR is so slow... even when I started playing it was quite easy to jump to hard maps since the AR was way easier. The only fact Easy is Easy is the OD, as well as HR is hard because of OD.
OzzyOzrock
EasyMod should let you choose the diff settings. That's it.
Neruell
I am for removing "easy mode". No one uses it. People who play easy difficulties don't need it, (if they do then I really wonder if they open their eyes while playing) because the easy mode itself doesn't really change much on the easy difficlty as said already.

People who play insane maps are "supposed" to be able to pass them (ranked maps). If not, then you are not so good for insane difficulty and training insane maps with easy mods is ridiculous.

Tag4 maps are not designed for playing solo so it is "normal" that people shoulnd't use easy mod to pass them (people do it just for fame aka "yeah I passed tag4 solo! (with easy and no fail)).

Approved/super insane maps are made especially insane to be not easy to pass and using easy mode to pass them is like people, who are not new to the game and are good and they play easy maps with all mods for lolz because they don't need to play easy with all mods if they can play insane without any to become better (what should be the purpose of different difficulties).

P.S. In my opinion "easy mode" is just useless and unnecessary and could be removed since it doesn't fulfill it's task
theMikeAG
I'm agreeing with Lybydose. At the moment, Easy Mod is too powerful for its own good. Instead of making beatmaps easier, it turns them into total sensory overload. I'm thinking that subtracting a static number from the various difficulty settings would work the best (say, 2 or 3 notches (ignoring Circle Size of course which should be one size bigger at maximum)).
I also agree that the current lives system is totally dopey and would be better off removed all together. (seriously, if you can't beat a beatmap without failing at some point, just use No Fail for goodness sakes)
Yuzeyun

Lybydose wrote:

1) Remove Easy mod completely.
On this point I disagree with you - if it is about removing the mod on the three games - because Easy makes the scrolling speed a little slower in taiko. (Like StrangeProgram. WTF is that SV?)

But the only times I tried some hard songs (You F***ing motherf***er) with Easy in standard Mode I could not read it properly orz...

OzzyOzrock wrote:

To get easily 1.260 in taiko after 100 combo ? XD

(Also if it disappears I'll lose a #1 LOL)
Ijah_old
Agree++

Perhaps it could use a system like this:
And to avoid breaking the old scores, it could just stay set at the lowest at in all 3 sliders:
Tenshi-nyan
Change Easy mod so you can choose your preferred difficulty settings.

A maps got AR9 and OD9 and you can't play it because of that? No problem, decrase both by 1 and get a -20% point penalty. Which means -10% for every single value decreased.

Do it, now.
Card N'FoRcE
I remember giving my opinion about this in a previous thread and i suggested something like this:

HP Drain: -3 or -4 (+removing the restore health thing)
Circle Size: +1 (maybe?)
Approach Rate : -1 (or maybe no modifications at all)
Overall Difficulty -2.

I thought this would be a layout that could work for hard and Insane maps, the only ones that actually may need the use of a Easy mod (Is there someone who would apply Easy mod to a 1 Star Easy map?). But i still can't think of a Multiplier for it.

Anyway this was a suggestion i made some time ago and i honestly don't think it's the best one.
The only reason i kept it that simple was to avoid having to reinvent the whole mod, but I will give my support if i see/find some good ideas here.
Wishy
Nothing is gonna be done about this since there are plenty of top scores with this mode and changing how it works would affect the rankings, if this is ever gonna be checked out and fixed, while you're on it please go and raise HR bonus since it has the same as HD which is way easier thx.
LuigiHann
Easy mode was hugely helpful when I first joined the game. Of course it's going to make insane maps into a mess, that's not what it's designed for. It's a mod to make the easiest maps even easier so that brand new players can get used to hitting circles.
Shael_old
inb4 rejected
KRZY
I think Lyby points out a great mis-aspect of the game. With the at-least-one-difficulty-under-the-star-rating-3.00 rule in place, the easiest difficulty in a mapset should be approachable to completely new players. LH has a point, but if the easiest difficulty in a mapset needs an Easy mode for players to be able to pass it, then it is more likely that the Easy difficulty was mapped wrongly than that Easy mode is really helpful.

I am for tweaking the Easy mode so that it actually makes the maps easier rather than completely removing it. Decreasing the AR/OD by a static number (2 seems appropriate) and increasing the circle size by 1 only when the circle size is under a specific value (perhaps 3 or lower?) seems like a good solution to me.
Raging Bull

Lybydose wrote:

3) Make the current Easy mode a difficulty increasing mod with a score multiplier (lol). It would certainly be harder than Hard Rock, Hidden, and even Flashlight on a lot of maps.
That would be interesting.

The only thing that bothers me about Easy is AR and 3 hp refills. Maybe easy mod should just reduce AR by 2 and have the hp refill instantly instead of a pause then a sudden go. (And possibly failing again because you werent ready)
Dragvon
Or maybe an Easy mode that acts based on the star rating/maps setup.

For the second one, i mean a behavior based on the map slider speed, distance snap and OD. Something like that. (Maybe that could help with the stacking problems)
ziin

OzzyOzrock wrote:

fucking this.

Completely fixes this problem:
Make Approach Rate function for user definable option
Neruell

ziin wrote:

OzzyOzrock wrote:

fucking this.

Completely fixes this problem:
Make Approach Rate function for user definable option
What about score multiplier then? It wouldn't be "fair" if 1 person uses easy mode to set every option to 1 and the other person will set it from 9 to 8 or just slightly change the map difficulty.

If you want to make a different multiplier for different settings, then what multiplier should be chosen for each setting possibility? Making it possible to change for example approach rate, hp drain and cicrle size on insane songs from 9 to 1. That will lead into xxxx possibilities which you can choose and all must have an appropriate score multiplier. Even if you will spend years of calculating that who says that it can't be somehow abused/cheated/hacked or anything like that since the latest "problems" about 'hacking". It also will be way harder to find that out with different settings and multiplier rankings.

I think it should be just removed or made unranked. Maybe just unranked so that people can learn to play Osu! first without screwing their statistics. (Although there are relax and auto play mods for that too but would be an alternative). What to do with already ranked songs/maps with people using Easy Mode? Nothing. Keep them as they are. (Reminds me of the Flashligh problem when it was also removed but people could keep their already completed scores). Anyway making this mode unranked will not influence any high-end gameplay, because the score multiplier is lower than the "no mod" gameplay anyway.

P.S. I wrote (in my opinion) the reason why I think the "easy mode" shouldn't be used anyway in a previous post.
ziin

Neruell wrote:

What about score multiplier then? It wouldn't be "fair" if 1 person uses easy mode to set every option to 1 and the other person will set it from 9 to 8 or just slightly change the map difficulty.
Why not? it's 0.5x anyway, and the max score is further augmented by the difficulty you set. You don't think it's fair that someone can use HP1 and OD1 on some random map and get 90% of the score of someone who does HP5 OD5?

Neruell wrote:

If you want to make a different multiplier for different settings, then what multiplier should be chosen for each setting possibility?
It's built into osu! We don't have to do anything.

The max score of an OD 10 map will always be much higher than if it were at OD1. The further 0.5x modifier ruins any chance of anyone ever getting some "top score" on some song with it, and you can theoretically make the map harder if the mapper didn't do it right with ease.

Finally, I could actually play all my songs at AR8, the way it's supposed to be, without having to go into the osu file.
Shiirn

ziin wrote:

The max score of an OD 10 map will always be much higher than if it were at OD1.
Teehee, about that....
Neruell

ziin wrote:

Neruell wrote:

Why not? it's 0.5x anyway, and the max score is further augmented by the difficulty you set. You don't think it's fair that someone can use HP1 and OD1 on some random map and get 90% of the score of someone who does HP5 OD5?

Neruell wrote:

If you want to make a different multiplier for different settings, then what multiplier should be chosen for each setting possibility?
It's built into osu! We don't have to do anything.

The max score of an OD 10 map will always be much higher than if it were at OD1. The further 0.5x modifier ruins any chance of anyone ever getting some "top score" on some song with it, and you can theoretically make the map harder if the mapper didn't do it right with ease.

Finally, I could actually play all my songs at AR8, the way it's supposed to be, without having to go into the osu file.
So you want to make a specially made difficulty like [Another]/[Lunatic] after using easy mode become [Easy]? (Not literally but in some kind of way) For what? Why would you want to play [Another] with a slightly "better" AP/HP/OD or anything else and get a worse score then someone without using "Easy Mode"? If you do want to do it just for fun you can do it by going into editor and customize any song you like and how you want.

But I don't see any purpose in changing/edit an already ranked map how you want because it will ruin the mapping, modding the map in the first place. If it was ranked like that then it should stay like that. If you want to change it for fun, feel free to do in on your own with editor. If you do want to get a lower score than anyone else on [Lunatic]/[Another] and so on just use any of the mods already provided.

P.S. There is no need to rap the map especially when there are mostly more than 1 difficulty provided. Don't like [Lunatic] then play [Hard]. Also I am sure that everyone can post their opinion about maps that are WIP to maybe "improve" it but again if the mapper wants to use the specific circle size then you can't change his mind about it unless it will lead into never getting the map ranked.
ziin

Shiirn wrote:

Teehee, about that...
2 million points for a 400 combo song is a lot IMO. Granted it'd only be cut down to 1 million with easy. Whatever. Easy is pretty much unranked anyway, because you're not going to get a high score with easy mod on.

Neruell wrote:

So you want to make a specially made difficulty like [Another]/[Lunatic] after using easy mode become [Easy]?
No I want to be able to control the approach rate and make a song which I can't pass just easy enough for me to pass.

Neruell wrote:

Why would you want to play [Another] with a slightly "better" AP/HP/OD or anything else and get a worse score then someone without using "Easy Mode"?
Multi-player

Neruell wrote:

If you do want to do it just for fun you can do it by going into editor and customize any song you like and how you want.
so tedious and see above.

Neruell wrote:

it will ruin the mapping, modding the map in the first place.
No it won't. Don't be silly. And this is more of a fix for older maps than anything else.

Neruell wrote:

Don't like [Lunatic] then play [Hard].
What a waste of a perfectly good [lunatic] map because the AR, HP, or OD are bad.

Neruell wrote:

Also I am sure that everyone can post their opinion about maps that are WIP to maybe "improve" it but again if the mapper wants to use the specific circle size then you can't change his mind about it unless it will lead into never getting the map ranked.
This doesn't help for maps which are already ranked, or the mapper is stubborn, or you just can't mod every single map on osu before it gets ranked.
Wishy
True that easy mod is dumb since you already have easy diffs in pretty much every ranked map, and if you can't follow -99 AR on an Easy map you're better off dropping this game.
Neruell

ziin wrote:

Neruell wrote:

So you want to make a specially made difficulty like [Another]/[Lunatic] after using easy mode become [Easy]?
No I want to be able to control the approach rate and make a song which I can't pass just easy enough for me to pass.
Use editor for yourself if you want to customize the map for yourself only. If no one can pass it, the map wouldn't be ranked. Also if you don't like anything about [Lunatic] or w/e play [Hard] because then it will be easier to pass.

ziin wrote:

Neruell wrote:

Why would you want to play [Another] with a slightly "better" AP/HP/OD or anything else and get a worse score then someone without using "Easy Mode"?
Multi-player
For what? If no one can pass it with a good accuracy then maybe you are too bad for the difficulty? Use [Hard] instead of [Lunatic]. If it is for fun then edit it on your own and give it to your friends. (With or without "customizable" Easy mode, you will have to edit the map anyway)

ziin wrote:

Neruell wrote:

If you do want to do it just for fun you can do it by going into editor and customize any song you like and how you want.
so tedious and see above.
see above

ziin wrote:

Neruell wrote:

it will ruin the mapping, modding the map in the first place.
No it won't. Don't be silly. And this is more of a fix for older maps than anything else.
You are willing to ask Peppy that he allows you and only you to "fix" all old maps and also you want to ask every person from today untill the ranking date of the song to retry the song because it was "slightly" improved? Also again, you said yourself you can't change anything anymore when the map is ranked (score based). So once it is ranked you must deal with the settings that are provided. Even if you would be able to "customize" something you will get a worse score which would have the same result as if you would mod it for yourself and play it for youself.

ziin wrote:

Neruell wrote:

Don't like [Lunatic] then play [Hard].
What a waste of a perfectly good [lunatic] map because the AR, HP, or OD are bad.
If some settings are bad then the song itself can't be perfect because this settings are already the part of the map itself, like circle cize. Change it and the whole map and impression about it will change. Also feel free to suggest better settings to the mapper before the map gets ranked. Just either deal with it or map your own map before the other was is ranked and convience the BATs that your map is better. But if it's already done then it's done.

ziin wrote:

Neruell wrote:

Also I am sure that everyone can post their opinion about maps that are WIP to maybe "improve" it but again if the mapper wants to use the specific circle size then you can't change his mind about it unless it will lead into never getting the map ranked.
This doesn't help for maps which are already ranked, or the mapper is stubborn, or you just can't mod every single map on osu before it gets ranked.
or you just can't mod every single map on osu before it gets ranked.
But you do want to be able to change every one on your own with the easy mode instead. Since only you would be able to see that changes anyway, because the map is already ranked there is no real difference between "that" easy mode you say and editor. Again, edit it in editor if you want. The amounf of the time you will need will be pretty the same. Go to editor => map settings => change what you need. It would be same for easy mode. Click on easy mode => map settings => change what you need.
CXu

Ijah wrote:

Agree++

Perhaps it could use a system like this:
And to avoid breaking the old scores, it could just stay set at the lowest at in all 3 sliders:
I guess something like this^

Also @Neruell: You're kinda focusing too much on scoring and whatnot. If someone finds it more enjoyable with a slightly different AR/OD, then let them find it more enjoyable instead of telling them to play something they might not find that fun.

Editing a map would mean that you can't get a score on it at all btw, so I don't see how you can say it is exactly the same. It can be used on some maps, especially if it does work like what Ijah said. And it is more tedious to go into editor to fix it, as well as playing in multiplayer.
Yes, you could just edit it and then share it, but don't you request or want stuff because they often make life easier? \:D/
ziin

Neruell wrote:

Use editor
Using the editor is tedious and does not work with multiplayer

Neruell wrote:

If no one can pass it, the map wouldn't be ranked.
The whole point of "easy" is to make it easier for you. I don't care if someone else can pass it. I can't, but I'd like to. I'd also be fine with a user selectable AR and HP/OD/CS-1 or 2.

Neruell wrote:

If no one can pass it with a good accuracy then maybe you are too bad for the difficulty?
Obviously, or we wouldn't be discussing an "easy" mod. But I thought you meant why would anyone play a map on easy with increased OD/CS/HP while getting less points? The answer is multiplayer. I usually don't play multiplayer with friends in particular, and nobody wants to download a new unranked difficulty for a gimmick. It's tedious.

Neruell wrote:

(With or without "customizable" Easy mode, you will have to edit the map anyway)
Presumably, when you click on "easy" it would bring up a gui where you can set the AR, OD, HP, and CS all in the mod screen.

Neruell wrote:

You are willing to ask Peppy that he allows you and only you to "fix" all old maps and also you want to ask every person from today untill the ranking date of the song to retry the song because it was "slightly" improved?
What the hell are you talking about?

Neruell wrote:

So once it is ranked you must deal with the settings that are provided
Unless someone implements the easy mod...

Neruell wrote:

But if it's already done then it's done.
What a terrible waste of a map.

Neruell wrote:

But you do want to be able to change every one on your own with the easy mode instead. Since only you would be able to see that changes anyway, because the map is already ranked there is no real difference between "that" easy mode you say and editor. Again, edit it in editor if you want. The amount of the time you will need will be pretty the same. Go to editor => map settings => change what you need. It would be same for easy mode. Click on easy mode => map settings => change what you need.
Again, multiplayer is easier to use mods, and using mods is much faster than the editor. If you use fullscreen it's even worse. Easy mode would also contribute to your total score, which I don't particularly think is a bad thing. Playing only unranked songs is like lying about your skill level.
show more