forum

Your honest opinion about osu mania 4k dan course

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
- sleepy chii -
title says it
DeltaNami
I used to think they were a pretty cool concept, and I still think they can be fun. The mindset that goes along with them and the community's view of them as these "holy ranks of skill" is kinda stupid and unhealthy though. They can be a rough estimate of skill, but they are not the end all be all. In general, people care about them way too much; they should be played sparingly instead of constantly.
Gamesnake7
Ok tbh, but I wouldn't play them in every single session because mindblock is annoying as hell.

Also wth is with the 4th reform dan lol, at least the tech map is nerfed (but not the stamina one 💀). Because of this, I think Shoegazer's version of 4th dan is more balanced (although it's harder but hey no difficulty spike)
-NoName-
None of the regular 4K dans are very good. I don't see myself ever playing any of them in the future.

The 4K LN ones are a little better, but they are still flawed in balancing and whatnot. However, scorev2 feels so much better now that severe column-locking is significantly less common.

The concept of Dans originated in other games (BMS/LR2/raja, SDVX, etc.) where they are based on HP clears rather than accuracy. The execution is different, but it works better there.

Many people understandably feel that we should put REFORM Dans up for Loved voting in particular. Well, when the people behind the two most popular sets of 4K Dans want absolutely nothing to do with them, and some of the people who created the charts also want nothing to do with them (and didn't give any sort of authorization to use them in this manner), you know REFORM Dans are actually doomed.

I'm mentioning this here because I have nothing else to do. I reckon this information is going to be disregarded by the aforementioned people anyway.
mystV
the dan course is ok

its slightly inaccurate, some of the maps in that dan may be easier than it should be, or harder than it should be. a handful of people do actually care about these dans, but like what others have to say, it shouldnt be played repeatedly, but it should be played sparingly.
Hoshimegu Mio
It's stupid and dumb.
pofnkul
They suck only usable as motivation when you have literally no other goals
Kaaruumii
as a new player dans feel pretty unbalanced one chart i can get 99% on and on the same dan it can drop to 92% or 93% maybe i just suck idk lol
Gamesnake7

MFGSTC wrote:

as a new player dans feel pretty unbalanced one chart i can get 99% on and on the same dan it can drop to 92% or 93% maybe i just suck idk lol
Not just you lol dw
Topic Starter
- sleepy chii -

Delta386 wrote:

I used to think they were a pretty cool concept, and I still think they can be fun. The mindset that goes along with them and the community's view of them as these "holy ranks of skill" is kinda stupid and unhealthy though. They can be a rough estimate of skill, but they are not the end all be all. In general, people care about them way too much; they should be played sparingly instead of constantly.
Probably people care about them too much because it's the only way they can get validation from others since a dan score is more "impressive"than a generic hard map to those who take dans much seriously(might not be true so im not sure but this is my thought)
mystV

RandomPerson56 wrote:

Probably people care about them too much because it's the only way they can get validation from others since a dan score is more "impressive"than a generic hard map to those who take dans much seriously(might not be true so im not sure but this is my thought)
yeah i have to agree with you. if i were to tell someone that im epsilon, they would know that im extremely skilled. if i were to not reveal what dan i am, the only way to confirm how good i am is by visiting my mania profile, scorez and many more
bananahira

RandomPerson56 wrote:

title says it
star rating completely destroys your way to improve through individual maps of dan courses past 7 Dan.
Haengsyo
Cool concept, very terrible mindset and stigma surrounding it due to players getting too attached to them
Entropy21
it has terrible rep thats for sure

Free Gamma Clear
i dont have a lot to do so i wander and search the galaxy to at least somewhat try to fix dans copium, here are my findings:

mystV wrote:

if i were to tell someone that im epsilon, they would know that im extremely skilled.
if osu! can incorporate dan courses like a progression system, maybe make a monthly event where they open dan courses
idk if this will fix the bad stigma around it by sugarcoating it as a Progression

Delta386 wrote:

they should be played sparingly instead of constantly
you only have 3 attempts, after that dans will be closed and opens again another month
this will prevent people spamming it but others will copy the map in no time so still a problem

RandomPerson56 wrote:

it's the only way they can get validation from others
since people like attention that much a scoreboard will open later and will award players medal that will show on their pf
"look at me i have a dan medal" ~ exampleplayer who just passed 5th dan // at least they get something lol
pofnkul

Entropy21 wrote:

i dont have a lot to do so i wander the galaxy to at least somewhat try to fix dans copium, here are my findings

mystV wrote:

if i were to tell someone that im epsilon, they would know that im extremely skilled.
if osu! can incorporate dan courses like a progression system, maybe make a monthly event where they open dan courses
idk if this will fix the bad stigma around it by sugarcoating it as a Progression

Delta386 wrote:

you only have 3 attempts, after that dans will be closed and opens again another month
this will prevent people spamming it but others will copy the map in no time so still a problem

RandomPerson56 wrote:

since people like attention that much a scoreboard will open later and will award players medal that will show on their pf
"look at me i have a dan medal" ~ exampleplayer who just passed 5th dan // at least they get something lol
This is a very interesting idea for fixing dan courses. For me personally this may be too similar to the beatmap spotlight event things that have been going around, but it would still be cool to see it tested.
Gamesnake7

pofnkul wrote:

Entropy21 wrote:

i dont have a lot to do so i wander the galaxy to at least somewhat try to fix dans copium, here are my findings

mystV wrote:

Delta386 wrote:

RandomPerson56 wrote:

This is a very interesting idea for fixing dan courses. For me personally this may be too similar to the beatmap spotlight event things that have been going around, but it would still be cool to see it tested.
Another problem: not all mappers want their map added into dans without their permission
Hoshimegu Mio

Gamesnake7 wrote:

pofnkul wrote:

Entropy21 wrote:

mystV wrote:

Delta386 wrote:

RandomPerson56 wrote:

Another problem: not all mappers want their map added into dans without their permission
Just make an event for mappers to submit their maps to this thing.
Gamesnake7

YyottaCat wrote:

Gamesnake7 wrote:

pofnkul wrote:

Entropy21 wrote:

mystV wrote:

Delta386 wrote:

RandomPerson56 wrote:

Just make an event for mappers to submit their maps to this thing.
Oh ok lol
The Vegeto

Gamesnake7 wrote:

Ok tbh, but I wouldn't play them in every single session because mindblock is annoying as hell.

Also wth is with the 4th reform dan lol, at least the tech map is nerfed (but not the stamina one 💀). Because of this, I think Shoegazer's version of 4th dan is more balanced (although it's harder but hey no difficulty spike)
facts
AddGore
how is it supposed to test your overall skills when its just rice?
Gamesnake7

AddGore wrote:

how is it supposed to test your overall skills when its just rice?
Underjoy's LN dans?
UltraBlack
Mania dan reform is one of the dan courses made around there. There are a lot of other dan courses made by a lot of different people such as infinite dans. What i truly think about it is that dans are stupid the way they are treated, people that don't play dans talking about it sounds anoying, but never suggest new ways or funcional solutions to it. Dans on MANIA will never be official since peppy probally don't even know about then. I personally think that dans could be a thing like the cs:go patents (not sure if thats it) and the leagues you achieve at another games, where thats a official thing. It would work? Kinda, in jakadsmania honestly it works pretty well. But who cares? I think that it is agreeable that we may never get a good skill division system at osu and that is maybe a sad thing.
luingear
I think they are a nice way to see how much you've improved in your abilities, but I don't think anyone should take those too seriously. I just play them once in a while to see how my score and accuracy improves or smth lol
AstalFanBoy
Dans are a curse and a blessing at the same time.

Dans have introduced me to some of my favorite maps and have helped me get better.

While I do agree with others that it isn't 100% of your skill I think it's safe to say it's around 50-75% of your skill maybe? Dans are decent to test skill but they are 100% not your true skill. I think playing dans as much as you want is fine as long as you have fun. I'm currently grinding Gamma because it's extremely fun IMO and I love the songs there. I know that I might get called names and stuff for this but dans are something that help with improvement and learning.

1-10 Dans might be a bit irrelevant in terms of seeing your skill but dans such as Alpah-Epsilon (Zeta if you want to include it) are actually decent in showing off your skill. They're not perfect nor do I think they will ever be but they're something that I think lots of players enjoy. It gives a challenge and a sense to play for others.

This is all my opinion so take it with a grain of salt
Stomiks
It's a checkpoint on how far you reached the game. I usually only play dans when I feel like I've moved to the next skill level.
ComboBreak
take a look at my ranking and plays and guess what dan i am. im intrigued

btw personally i think dans are annoying, especially if theres just one song in the dan that you always mindblock on.
reinosk
Unreliable motivation.